4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1998 Maxima runs only with starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1998 Maxima runs only with starter fluid

Hey bros, I have a 1998 maxima (middle east spec so its similar to i30) from an auction, the car hasn't ran in a year (probably more. but one year since its been at the impound). I tried to start it but there's no fuel getting to the motor. I removed the small rubber pipe that connects to the fuel rails and there's fuel there. and I have replaced the fuel pump too. but the car cranks and doesn't start. There is no security so it isn't a key issue. and there's no OBD port for me to check for codes. do you guys reckon it has something to do with fuel rail/injector or is there some other issue/s. please any help is appreciated. I am a beginner and this is my first car. So trying to keep the cost as low as possible. The car starts up for couple of seconds as long as fluid is being sprayed. but dies after i stop spraying. So spark/coils isn't the issue.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:00 PM
Administrator

OBDII port is under the dash/steering column on the left side.

Curious, why did you post in the 5th gen forum and not the 4th gen? What country are you in?

I hate to ask the obvious, but are you sure you have enough gas?

Start by checking the fuel pump fuse. Same location as the OBDII port.

Are you sure you installed the new fuel pump correctly with regards to the pickup?
Old 01-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my bad wrong post, meant to post in the 4th gen forum, but yes theres enough gas, and the fuel pump works as there is fuel going into the fuel rails when i remove the small pipe and turn the ignition on, and yes the fuse has been checked. I do not have OBD port in the vehicle. I am in United Arab Emirates. and i think we got security and OBD2 port in 1999.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by muhammadmaxima
my bad wrong post, meant to post in the 4th gen forum, but yes theres enough gas, and the fuel pump works as there is fuel going into the fuel rails when i remove the small pipe and turn the ignition on, and yes the fuse has been checked. I do not have OBD port in the vehicle. I am in United Arab Emirates. and i think we got security and OBD2 port in 1999.
No worries. I moved the thread to the 4th gen forum.

Regardless of country, I would think all Maximas would have an OBD port. 1995 and up Maximas got OBDII ports. Look on the passenger side for the heck of it. It used to be there in 1995 and 1996.

Not sure if you are aware, but in 1999, USA Maximas got the dreaded NATS security feature. I'm wondering if it was implemented a year early in your country. By chance, do you have a security light? It's on the dash just under the gauge cluster just to the left of the steering column.
If you have a security light, and it's on and remains on while cranking, then NATS got you.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope, i got the car running now, cleaned out the crankcase (crankshaft?) sensor and it runs now. No very weird but we got OBD2 port in 1999, same with the security. its GCC spec so i think we didnt get it in 98.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear you got it running! Thanks for telling us it was the crank sensor.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I meant the camshaft sensor not crank sorry, but it seems like that isn't the issue, as after that it never started again. it ran fine for 20 minutes until I turned it off. but after that the next day it just would not start. just cranks. tried cleaning the camshaft sensor but still got no sign of life. what do you recommend i do to diagnose the issue I have? which sensor do you think it might be. the time it did start. I almost gave up on cranking. then I heard the engine changed noise as if it wanted to run. and I tried again, it tried to run better then time. and it kept going on this way until 3 or 4 cranks later it started up. it was misfiring for a bit. don't know if that's due to the fault we had. or if it was because it was the first time it started in a year or more.