4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B-pipe necessary

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Mamoru

B-pipe necessary

can you just install a Y-pipe and the rear exhaust? Cuz I don't feel like payin extra $$$ just for 2~3 HP gain

Old 05-07-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: B-pipe necessary

Originally posted by Mamoru
can you just install a Y-pipe and the rear exhaust? Cuz I don't feel like payin extra $$$ just for 2~3 HP gain
Yes you can. depends on what rear exhaust your thinking about. Stillen is the only muffler I believe that is a direct bolt on to the stock b-pipes while greddy and apex requires their own bpipe
Old 05-07-2002, 11:09 PM
Mamoru

Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

Yeah, I do have a stillen rear exhaust....meaning I don't need to get a B-Pipe?

Old 05-07-2002, 11:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

nope, the stillen will bolt on the stock bpipe
Old 05-08-2002, 12:37 PM

so will the HKS
Old 05-08-2002, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

It will actually be a bit quiter that way which is nice.

SuDZ
Old 05-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Mamoru

Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

Originally posted by SuDZ

SuDZ

so what's a B-Pipe necessary for???

Old 05-08-2002, 02:44 PM

well it takes away the resonator making the exhaust louder and increasing air flow.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

SuDZ
true. I have ypipe, stock b, Stillen muff. and its still pretty damn loud. I cant imagine how it would sound if I have bought the bpipe
Old 05-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Mamoru

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

Originally posted by Nismo

true. I have ypipe, stock b, Stillen muff. and its still pretty damn loud. I cant imagine how it would sound if I have bought the bpipe
yeah, thats the set up I"m going to have. Do you have a aftermarket catalytic converter? and which y-pipe you got? what kinda sound does it give you?

Old 05-09-2002, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the muffler replacement will give you nothing but looks and sound - the stock B-pipe has some very restrictive bends so you'll get power from replcaing the B-pipe with one that flows better.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by theblue
the muffler replacement will give you nothing but looks and sound - the stock B-pipe has some very restrictive bends so you'll get power from replcaing the B-pipe with one that flows better. [/QUOT

I am thinking about doing my exaust also, if I get the catman cat back and Y-pipe can I keep my stock b-pipe?? and instead of using the cattman muffler could I keep the stock muffler to make the car sound quieter will I loose horsepower by doing this
Old 05-09-2002, 08:28 AM
mb1

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJLAX152
Originally posted by theblue
the muffler replacement will give you nothing but looks and sound - the stock B-pipe has some very restrictive bends so you'll get power from replcaing the B-pipe with one that flows better. [/QUOT

I am thinking about doing my exaust also, if I get the catman cat back and Y-pipe can I keep my stock b-pipe?? and instead of using the cattman muffler could I keep the stock muffler to make the car sound quieter will I loose horsepower by doing this
Why are you getting the cat-back, if youre not going to use the b-pipe or the muffler.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

so what's a B-Pipe necessary for???
Some people like it louder. Plus it is a bit restrictive and you can gain about 4HP or so give or take. Plus you get a little bit better gas mileage in the deal. It has its ups and downs.

SuDZ
Old 05-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Mamoru

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

Some people like it louder. Plus it is a bit restrictive and you can gain about 4HP or so give or take. Plus you get a little bit better gas mileage in the deal. It has its ups and downs.

SuDZ
So i guess it's a waste of money just to add 3 horsepower with a b-pipe. I don't wanted that loud anyways. And the reason I got a stillen rear exhaust is because it was 85$$ at the stillen open house. So I guess I will just get a y-pipe and the rest stock with the still exhaust. Thanks for ally our help guyz. Any comments with what I'm going to do please reply.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:53 AM

Like theblue said, the stock b-pipe has very restrictive bends and if you look at the whole thing under your car, you'll see the pipe crimped near the resonator. I think that part says it all about restrictive flow.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:05 AM

Like theblue said, the stock b-pipe has very restrictive bends and if you look at the whole thing under your car, you'll see the pipe crimped near the resonator. I think that part says it all about restrictive flow.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

So i guess it's a waste of money just to add 3 horsepower with a b-pipe. I don't wanted that loud anyways. And the reason I got a stillen rear exhaust is because it was 85$$ at the stillen open house. So I guess I will just get a y-pipe and the rest stock with the still exhaust. Thanks for ally our help guyz. Any comments with what I'm going to do please reply.
If your going to be installing the Y pipe yourself start awy ahead of time with rust eater type products (wd-40) because on the car they can be almost welded on by rust. Any bit it gets off will help.

SuDZ
Old 05-09-2002, 11:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

yeah, thats the set up I"m going to have. Do you have a aftermarket catalytic converter? and which y-pipe you got? what kinda sound does it give you?
I have cattman y-pipe, stock cat/b, stillen Muffler. Very deep low girgle at low rpms and a deep drone mid rpms and quiet at highways speeds. Its not a loud tin can sound like hondas but more of a deeper bass tone. I personally love the way it sounds but sometimes I wish it was a lil more quiet as I sometimes feel like everyone is stairing at me.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by mb1

Why are you getting the cat-back, if youre not going to use the b-pipe or the muffler.
I geuss that was kind of a stupid question but what improvments can I do while keeping quiet I'll give you a list of what I was thinking of putting on and tell me which ones I shouldn't use to stay quiet

CAttman Y-pipe the new street legal one doesn't eliminate cat

Hi flow cat converter

CAttman catback system (can I just bolt this on to stock b-pipe?)
Old 05-09-2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by DJLAX152
CAttman catback system (can I just bolt this on to stock b-pipe?)
Catbacks are the Bpipe and muffler that is what makes them a catback. It is everything from the catalytic converter back to the muffler.

SuDZ
Old 05-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Mamoru

Catbacks are the Bpipe and muffler that is what makes them a catback. It is everything from the catalytic converter back to the muffler.

SuDZ
so why would you need a aftermarket B-pipe if my stillen just fits on the stock B-pipe? And why would I need a catalytic converter if I allready have one? Are we talking about power here? If it is...I don't think spending 2~300 dollars for the b-pipe and the cat is necesary just for 2~5 extra horpowers. What do you guyz think?

Old 05-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My experience:

Orginal setup: Stillen Y-pipe, HKS intake, Stillen B-pipe, HKS muffler: Best ET-14.89@92.5mph

Quieter setup: Stillen Y-pipe, HKS intake, Stillen B-pipe, STOCK muffler: Best ET-14.73@93.9mph

I got rid of my HKS muffler because it was too noisy with the Y-pipe and B-pipe. I lost absolutely NO performance. If anything, I was quicker with the stock muffler. Just my experience.

Dave
Old 05-11-2002, 04:57 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B-pipe necessary

If your going to be installing the Y pipe yourself start awy ahead of time with rust eater type products (wd-40) because on the car they can be almost welded on by rust. Any bit it gets off will help.

SuDZ
A bit off-topic for the main thread here but the absolute best solution for getting those nuts loosened up is PB Super Penetrating Lubricant. You can get it at Autozone or any other parts shop I'm sure (just that I bought it at AZ myself). This stuff is amazing! I couldn't break free any of the y-pipe bolts, even with an impact wrench but then I sprayed them with PB, went to bed and the next morning they came off like they were just put on. I doubt you'd need to wait overnight, just worked out that way for me. But I do think you'd want to give it at least a few hours.