4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ugh...rust spots on trunk lid...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 12:40 PM
I'm so hood

Ugh...rust spots on trunk lid...what to do?

Awww crap.

I just noticed this afternoon that surrounding the inside drivers side spoiler joint, on the trunk lid itself (right around the little rubber gasket in between the spoiler foot and the trunk lid), I've got some minor rust bubbling in the paint. WTF? I'm surprised I didn't see it before - when I wash my car (about once a week), I spend a little time making sure all those feet are nice and dry so they don't drip. So these have appeared relatively recently, definitely in the year I've had the car.

That seems like a common place for lots of cars with spoilers to accumulate water, etc. So why did mine rust out? Well, more importantly, you guys have any ideas what I should do from this point?

Methinks this isn't going to be a cheap/easy one.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:33 PM

Re: Ugh...rust spots on trunk lid...what to do?

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Awww crap.

I just noticed this afternoon that surrounding the inside drivers side spoiler joint, on the trunk lid itself (right around the little rubber gasket in between the spoiler foot and the trunk lid), I've got some minor rust bubbling in the paint. WTF? I'm surprised I didn't see it before - when I wash my car (about once a week), I spend a little time making sure all those feet are nice and dry so they don't drip. So these have appeared relatively recently, definitely in the year I've had the car.

That seems like a common place for lots of cars with spoilers to accumulate water, etc. So why did mine rust out? Well, more importantly, you guys have any ideas what I should do from this point?

Methinks this isn't going to be a cheap/easy one.
I did a search for this subject and came across this message you posted a few months ago. I have a 1996 SE and just noticed the other day, like you, rust around the driver's side inner spoiler support leg/tower (whatever it's called). I had an estimate done and the guy said it would be like 500 bucks and there is no guarentee of it stopping the rust from coming back. He said replacing the trunk lid and painting a new trunk lid would be close to 1000 dollars. YIKES!!! How long is our warranty good for the body? For some reason, I was thinking it was 100,000 miles/unlimited years (whichever comes first). Anyone have info on if this is covered under warranty? Thanks and please reply ASAP.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:39 PM

you can get a new trunk lid painted for a couple of hundred.. just wait till the rust gets bad.. go to a junk yard and get yourself a new lid with a spoiler preferably same color!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:50 PM

under warranty still?

Originally posted by BOZOnPJs
you can get a new trunk lid painted for a couple of hundred.. just wait till the rust gets bad.. go to a junk yard and get yourself a new lid with a spoiler preferably same color!
Do you know about the warranty part of it? I have a feeling it isn't under warranty but it would be nice. I know I'm past the mechanical warranties of 36K and 60K but what about the body? Thanks.