5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

delayed acceleration from stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by soundmike
I have a feeling that if a case were to be filed and opened with Nissan NA that this would all come out as a "It's performing within it's design specifications" issue.
Unfortunately, I think your right.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:40 AM
Blu
the tits

guess we all have to deal with to studder That is during the summer anyway
Old 08-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The 00-01 Maximas have cable-throttles and composite plastic intake manifolds which don't heat soak much. In 02, the VQ manifold went back to heat soaking metal. The 90 SE had a VG motor which has a lower compression and isn't as affected by the heat as badly as the higher compression VQ. Higher compression engines run hotter and are more suseptable to detonation therefore the knock sensor is hyper-sensitive and is constantly adjusting timing and fuel to keep the running at a safe level.

It is very possible that the knock-sensor is super sensitive in the 2K2. When you're at a stop, the engine becomes extremely hot and the knock-sensor might be having fits. When I say a drop of 10-15% in power due to heatsoak, I'm talking about performance off the line. As the car goes faster, the engine begins to cool back down. On the highway, the engine is relatively cool, but the hot and humid air still sucks out some performance due to the heat and less O2 rich air.

Yes, the GLE automatics have a electronically controlled engine mount (the front one only). It only seems to work at low rpms to reduce the driveline vibration on an auto at a stop.

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Yes, the GLE automatics have a electronically controlled engine mount (the front one only). It only seems to work at low rpms to reduce the driveline vibration on an auto at a stop.

Dave
That goes to show you how much my Nissan dealer knows. They replaced my non-existent "electronic engine-mounts" to try and remedy the problem.

I haven't had any vibration issues and the car seems to perform pretty well at highway speeds. Of course its also been hot the entire time I've owned the car so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by suds1
Of course its also been hot the entire time I've owned the car so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
If it's any consolation to you, i can tell you this. When the winter/cold season starts you'll find out first hand why you got the Max in the first place
Old 08-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ain't that the truth. I just got my variable intake installed and my car is a completely different animal now and it's still in the upper 80s-90s during the day. I can't wait till October and temps are in the 60s and below. The power is going to be wicked.

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 03:17 PM

Yes indeedy

That...I'm sure is the silver lining in this cloud. I got my Max at the end of May so I've had mostly hot temps with her. I made a road trip to MI during the July 4 weekend and we got back to DC Metro area that Sunday night. Don't know if anyone remembers but the temps were quite cool by about 8:30pm and unfortunately <grin> the performance was quite addicting. I guess everyone felt the same way. I could tell from the way everyone was driving from PT Cruisers to old Mustangs. This fall season is gonna nice!!

Originally posted by soundmike

If it's any consolation to you, i can tell you this. When the winter/cold season starts you'll find out first hand why you got the Max in the first place
Old 08-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Larry
Now I see! Thanks! I'll give it a try. Maybe a solid piece of aluminum would work?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't use aluminum you need something soft or it will be too rough, if you cut a short piece of heater hose and squeeze it together use some kind of lubricant like WD40, cut the heater hose about 1 and half inches, you should be able to push it in that gap
Old 08-16-2002, 06:17 PM

sorry suds1...

Originally posted by suds1

I was just basing that statement on Dave's statement about all VQ engines, regardless of generation suffering from heat soak.

I am just curious now to see what kind of problems arise when it gets cold.

Whoops, I didn't read back far enough and missed daveb's first post. Those explanations do make some sense...but to me it's not a feeling of DiMINISHED power until I speed up but more like no power for like half a second and then BOOM, there it is, pulling hard. I'm sorry guys, I still like the drive-by-wire excuse...perhaps an ECU reprogramming for hot weather settings? It seems my rough idle (stopped in drive) is there when it's hot as hell...smoother when cooler. What do you think DaveB? BTW...dave, check your pm///

ARFF
Old 08-16-2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by egham45

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't use aluminum you need something soft or it will be too rough, if you cut a short piece of heater hose and squeeze it together use some kind of lubricant like WD40, cut the heater hose about 1 and half inches, you should be able to push it in that gap
I cut a piece of .480 diameter x 2 1/4" long steel rod, sprayed it with WD 40 and stuck it in the mount. It isn't rough idling or running but it did not stop the popping or jerking from zero either. I placed it right above the front portion of the C ring protruding from the mount. Maybe this is the wrong place but about the same place that the 5/8" heater hose can go and only place readily accessible.

Back to the drawing board for me. The dealer was no help at all!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:01 PM

Re: THERE IS A DELAY IN THE THROTTLE RESPONSE!

Holy $hit

You just described the problems i am having perfectly.. IT makes me hate my car more and more!!

ED

Originally posted by Lumbee799
I have been having problems with learning how to drive the 2k2, recently more than when it was new. For some reason second gear always tends to lurch on me. It is because of this delay. The only way I can engage second smoothly is to feather the clutch a lot more than I really should be doing. And if you want proof, try downshifting. Traveling flat with no braking, pull it of gear and run up the RPM's to match speed of the car. Try doing it looking at the tach and then try it without. When looking at the tach, there is a hestitation but you don't notice it as much because you are watching the tach. If you do this without watching the tach, you will get a jerk everytime. The reason being is mentally you have already pressed the throttle to match RPM's, but the throttle has delayed and therefore you are running a lot lower RPM's than you should be but you are not watching the tach and don't see how low they are. Outcome from this is the jerk. I hope we see a TSB on this soon.

I also think I am experiencing full cut at low RPM's. Feathering and acceleration are not smooth at all between 500 and 2000 RPM. But the bucking I am experiencing is not nearly as bad as what others (with more miles) are describing.

Sorry so long.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:31 PM

slow throttle response+++++++++

you know, I have been dealing with this situation for a while on my 2k2se auto. I believe there is a situation with the so called heat soaking. I feel the problem like everyone else from a dead stop. On cooler days the throttle is touchy and I like this. But now I have noticed that on the hot days intermittantly if I have on the a/c
it runs a little better

could this be because the fans are disipating the heat ?
Old 08-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Very sound, Mike

It's because of the heat, plain and simple. I don't know about you guys, but i think the heat soak issue is getting a teeny bit over our heads.

I've had my old Civic suffer the same problem, and given the power that thing can put out just imagine how much worse it is when summer-time comes.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:10 AM

The heat is back and so is the hestiation from start

Now that the temps are back up in the 90s I have the hesitation from start again. New question: Does anyone who had the Automagic TSB for hesitation (NTB 03-023) done have the hesitation from start problem? I can't get my dealer to apply the TSB but I want to know if it has helped with this particular problem.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:32 PM

Re: The heat is back and so is the hestiation from start

Originally posted by 2K2SE
Now that the temps are back up in the 90s I have the hesitation from start again. New question: Does anyone who had the Automagic TSB for hesitation (NTB 03-023) done have the hesitation from start problem? I can't get my dealer to apply the TSB but I want to know if it has helped with this particular problem.

Thanks.
Not an auto, but the hesistation TSB did seem to fix the problem off the line. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: The heat is back and so is the hestiation from start

Originally posted by 2K2SE

Thanks.
I had NTB 03-023 completed and still experience a delay when accelerating from a stop.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: The heat is back and so is the hestiation from start

Originally posted by FlatoutF1
I had NTB 03-023 completed and still experience a delay when accelerating from a stop.
Thanks, FlatoutF1. I was afraid of that.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:42 PM

I don't have the TSB (they checked my VIN) and I still notice it is somewhat weak right off the line. I have a 6-speed. If I punch it off the line, it is awesome. If I don't, it is really weak all through 1st gear. It's really odd.