5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VQ TT might be in the future

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 12:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VQ TT might be in the future

Just read the Superstreet article about the JGTC. They commented that "the factory Skylines were spotted with twin-turbo VQ motors" and "the people we spoke to at Nismo said the swap to the V-6 has nothing to do with the introduction of the 350Z or any other car (to the JGTC), but we're not so sure. The 2004 Skyline GT-R will be equipped with this motor, so it looks like Nismo is preparing for that release."

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd rather the 2004 GT-R have a V-8 versus a V-6 TT. Reliability vs upgradeability, hmmm.

What this means as far as Maximas are concerned, I don't think the VQ TT will fit in the Maxima, but it's nice to know that Nissan engineers can expand the VQ engine to work with twin turbos.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:25 PM

Hey nice info, i never knew that..

Oh yeah, Tanman thanks for the door panel removal instrauctions a while back!! Kudos..

ED
Old 10-06-2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by MiniRX7
Hey nice info, i never knew that..

Oh yeah, Tanman thanks for the door panel removal instrauctions a while back!! Kudos..

ED
Hey no problem, always glad to help. Hope you got everything working ok.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:02 PM

Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Originally posted by Tanman
Just read the Superstreet article about the JGTC. They commented that "the factory Skylines were spotted with twin-turbo VQ motors" and "the people we spoke to at Nismo said the swap to the V-6 has nothing to do with the introduction of the 350Z or any other car (to the JGTC), but we're not so sure. The 2004 Skyline GT-R will be equipped with this motor, so it looks like Nismo is preparing for that release."

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd rather the 2004 GT-R have a V-8 versus a V-6 TT. Reliability vs upgradeability, hmmm.

What this means as far as Maximas are concerned, I don't think the VQ TT will fit in the Maxima, but it's nice to know that Nissan engineers can expand the VQ engine to work with twin turbos.
Powered by a VQ25DETT or VQ20DETT.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:36 PM

Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

There's a VQ25 or VQ20? What cars are they used in currently?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:29 AM
Old Timer

Maybe a VQ35DETT?
Old 10-07-2002, 05:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

There's a VQ25 or VQ20? What cars are they used in currently?
The VQ25DE is used in the Japanese Cefiro. There's a VQ25DD(direct injection) with almost 250hp available too. A "276hp" VQ25DET is used in the Stagea wagon. The VQ30DET is used in the Gloria(similar to the Infiniti M45), making..."276hp."
The Maxima QX in Europe comes with the VQ20DE(around 160hp, I think) standard, with the VQ30DE(193hp) as an option. The 2L is standard, because of the high fuel costs.The power numbers are for the A32 chassis. I'm not sure about the A33 version, since most of the QX pages aren't in English.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Originally posted by Black VQ

The VQ25DE is used in the Japanese Cefiro. There's a VQ25DD(direct injection) with almost 250hp available too. A "276hp" VQ25DET is used in the Stagea wagon. The VQ30DET is used in the Gloria(similar to the Infiniti M45), making..."276hp."
The Maxima QX in Europe comes with the VQ20DE(around 160hp, I think) standard, with the VQ30DE(193hp) as an option. The 2L is standard, because of the high fuel costs.The power numbers are for the A32 chassis. I'm not sure about the A33 version, since most of the QX pages aren't in English.
Are the VQ20 and VQ25 V-6s or 4 cylinder engines?

Why would they use a smaller engine with bigger turbos to achieve 500HP on the GT500 cars? Why not use a bigger engine (VQ30 or VQ35) with medium turbos to achieve the same thing? With the larger displacement, more torque, less lag from turbos, more reliable car.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:27 AM

wish i had a turbo
Old 10-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Why would they use a smaller engine with bigger turbos to achieve 500HP on the GT500 cars? Why not use a bigger engine (VQ30 or VQ35) with medium turbos to achieve the same thing? With the larger displacement, more torque, less lag from turbos, more reliable car.
current skyline GTR has i6 2.6L engine with TT, I think the lag is pretty much eliminated when u drop two turbos in. I think the reason that they use a small 6cylinder is the weight. GTRs already have a very heavy tranny and to have proper weight balance, they need to give up something.

btw, blower-in in 6 day for me......
Old 10-07-2002, 09:51 AM

How do you figure? How do you know it won't have a VQ35DETT?

Stereodude
Old 10-07-2002, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure, but my guess is that the VQ25DET and VQ20DET are cast iron blocks. The VQ35DE is aluminum, and will never stand up to the beating of a high boost turbo over long periods of time. That's why the R34 GT-R had a cast iron 2.5 liter. They do the iron blocks in smaller displacement so the weight doesn't get rediculous.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

current skyline GTR has i6 2.6L engine with TT, I think the lag is pretty much eliminated when u drop two turbos in. I think the reason that they use a small 6cylinder is the weight. GTRs already have a very heavy tranny and to have proper weight balance, they need to give up something.

btw, blower-in in 6 day for me......
Sweet! Have you decided on a pulley size yet?
Old 10-07-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Sweet! Have you decided on a pulley size yet?
yup.....3.33 and hope that I wont destroy the tranny. really gentle on first to second.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I'm not sure, but my guess is that the VQ25DET and VQ20DET are cast iron blocks. The VQ35DE is aluminum, and will never stand up to the beating of a high boost turbo over long periods of time. That's why the R34 GT-R had a cast iron 2.5 liter. They do the iron blocks in smaller displacement so the weight doesn't get rediculous.
Unless I'm mistaken there's a VQ30DET in the asian Q45 (Cima). So I'm failing to see how the VQ35 can't have a VQ35DET or VQ35DETT variant. Either way there's always the ol' engine swap. The VQ20 and VQ25 are both 6 cylinder 60 degree V's that are sold in the Cefiro in at least Taiwan. That means the parts should be available to adapt 'em into the FWD Maxima. Add a turbo or two and things could get interesting.

So, no matter how you look at it we could get a VQxxDET or VQxxDETT

Stereodude
Old 10-07-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

yup.....3.33 and hope that I wont destroy the tranny. really gentle on first to second.
Good choice .

Don't worry too much about the tranny (like I can talk.. hehe), just don't race too much. Also, don't manually shift the auto tranny. I think I destroyed my last car by manually shifting it.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:52 PM

All VQs Are aluminum block. The VQ(not sure of the displacement) used in the JGTC R34 GT-R made about 540hp before the block cracked. However, the block was probably not reinforced, so with some bolstering, it should be able to handle more boost.

All VQs are V6 engines. The QR-series is more like a 4 cylinder VQ. If Nissan was using the VQ25DET in the JGTC R34 GT-R, there wouldn't be all that much of a displacement decrease over the RB(.1L). What Nissan might have done to get the 2.5L configuration of the VQ was destroke it, leaving the bore unchanged. By destroking the VQ, it could have similar displacement and rev characteristics to the RB. Another thing is that a bigger displacement could have placed more restrictions on the car as far as classification goes.

And on another note, TRD uses the 3SGTE(MR2 Turbo and Celica All-Trac engine) 4-banger for the JGTC Supra. Why? The same reason Nissan tried out the VQ:
1. The engine weighs less.
2. The engine is shorter and can be mounted farther back for better weight distribution and handling. The drivers of the R34 reported that handling was more neutral and turn-in was greatly improved.
3. With the power class restrictions(GT-R's class has a maximum of 500hp), it doesn't matter what the ultimate capability of the engine is. Why use a bigger, heavier engine while a smaller one can make the same power? The 3SGTE and the VQ still made enough power for their classes, while still providing the above advantages.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

Good choice .

Don't worry too much about the tranny (like I can talk.. hehe), just don't race too much. Also, don't manually shift the auto tranny. I think I destroyed my last car by manually shifting it.
thx.....yes, no stop light racing for me. wish me luck.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ TT might be in the future

thx.....yes, no stop light racing for me. wish me luck.
Well don't go that far! Stop light racing is the funnest part about having the SC. Just don't over-do it, and you should be fine .
Old 10-08-2002, 07:56 AM

And on another note, TRD uses the 3SGTE(MR2 Turbo and Celica All-Trac engine) 4-banger for the JGTC Supra. Why? The same reason Nissan tried out the VQ:
1. The engine weighs less.
2. The engine is shorter and can be mounted farther back for better weight distribution and handling. The drivers of the R34 reported that handling was more neutral and turn-in was greatly improved.
3. With the power class restrictions(GT-R's class has a maximum of 500hp), it doesn't matter what the ultimate capability of the engine is. Why use a bigger, heavier engine while a smaller one can make the same power? The 3SGTE and the VQ still made enough power for their classes, while still providing the above advantages.
Good point about the power restriction.
That's cool that the VQ took that much power too.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:10 AM

Thanks!

Good point about the power restriction.
That's cool that the VQ took that much power too.
The thing I was thinking about was that the VQ that failed at 538hp probably wasn't a 3.5L because there are probably displacement restrictions as well. The engine was probably a VQ30DET(or TT) at the largest, if not a VQ25DET(or TT). The VQ35DE should be capable of even more power.

If there wasn't a limit on displacement(and perhaps cylinders), I'd like to see Nissan use the VK V8, maybe destroked to 3.5L like the IRL engine. But hey, Nissan probably doesn't even use that engine for their Japan market cars, so there might be homologation or production restrictions too.*sigh*
Old 10-08-2002, 01:33 PM

Re: Thanks!

The thing I was thinking about was that the VQ that failed at 538hp probably wasn't a 3.5L because there are probably displacement restrictions as well. The engine was probably a VQ30DET(or TT) at the largest, if not a VQ25DET(or TT). The VQ35DE should be capable of even more power.

If there wasn't a limit on displacement(and perhaps cylinders), I'd like to see Nissan use the VK V8, maybe destroked to 3.5L like the IRL engine. But hey, Nissan probably doesn't even use that engine for their Japan market cars, so there might be homologation or production restrictions too.*sigh*
The VK45DE in the Q45? Yeah, they have it in the Q45 in Japan as the Cima, except it is DD (VK45DD).

We'll have to wait and see what they do. So far the Skyline has 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 liter engines in Japan (I think all are VQ), so who knows which one will make it into the GT-R.
Sorry I'm going off-topic.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:17 PM

It's not the Horsepower that causes the block to crack of course, it's the pressure and temperature from the boost and compression. Given a block can take an unlimited amount of pressure and temperature, the limiting factor becomes the Crankshaft. Thus, when they say an engine is rated at a certain maximum horsepower potential, they're talking about how much hp and torque the crankshaft can take before it makes like a breadstick and shatters. As far as the comparison between 3.0 and 3.5 liter VQ's, while turboed, and not taking into account block strengths, they would probably be rated at the same max power despite the displacement difference. They both share essentially the same crankshaft, and even if the 3.5 makes more power under boost, the crank would snap at the same point as the 3.0. Get it?

Oh, and all the audi and vw turbo engines are aluminum block. Just cause it's aluminum doesn't mean you can't force feed it!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
It's not the Horsepower that causes the block to crack of course, it's the pressure and temperature from the boost and compression. Given a block can take an unlimited amount of pressure and temperature, the limiting factor becomes the Crankshaft.
So when is someone going to try a titanium block and crankshaft? I'm guessing titanium is strong and can take more heat and pressure than iron, but I wasn't that great at chemistry.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
It's not the Horsepower that causes the block to crack of course, it's the pressure and temperature from the boost and compression. Given a block can take an unlimited amount of pressure and temperature, the limiting factor becomes the Crankshaft.
I see your point about how the crank becomes a limiting factor, but you won't get that far if something else like the block fails first. Which it did.

As far as the comparison between 3.0 and 3.5 liter VQ's, while turboed, and not taking into account block strengths, they would probably be rated at the same max power despite the displacement difference. They both share essentially the same crankshaft, and even if the 3.5 makes more power under boost, the crank would snap at the same point as the 3.0. Get it?
Yeah, I "get it," but they wouldn't be rated at the same power in the first place, because the two cranks are different. The 3.5 crank has a longer throw/stroke than the 3.0 crank, not to mention the different bore sizes. Yes, both cranks might fail under the same boost pressure. However, the 3.5 will be making more power because of the greater displacement. Keep in mind that under normal aspiration, the 3.5L would already be making more power to begin with. With forced induction, the gains increase even more.

Oh, and all the audi and vw turbo engines are aluminum block. Just cause it's aluminum doesn't mean you can't force feed it!
And that's why Nissan has the SR20DET, and the various JDM VQxxDETs.

Don't mind me, I'm just e-thuggin'.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:12 AM

So when is someone going to try a titanium block and crankshaft? I'm guessing titanium is strong and can take more heat and pressure than iron, but I wasn't that great at chemistry.
titanium isnt used for its strength, its used bc for its weight it is very strong, and in racing applications, they would rather use the slightly weaker but far lighter component than the strongest possible component. Forged steel is stronger than Titanium by like 10% or something around there but Titanium is roughly like 25% lighter, my numbers arent exact, but its that type of difference.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:01 PM

Exactly...

And that's one of the reasons why Nissan is going with the VQ.