5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 08:08 PM

Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

My MAF sensor finally gave way today unexpectedly. I’ve had the Frakencar intake (which is a great product) with a Monster Flow air filter installed on my car for about 10 months or 9K miles. I’ve never experienced a problem with the intake or sensor until today. The worst part about this whole ordeal is that it is going to cost me $500 for a new MAF sensor. The dealer won’t replace it under the existing car warranty however that is another long story, which I don’t feel like recanting.

Apparently the oil or “non-petroleum agent” from the air filter caused the MAF sensor failure. If anyone is using these filters I strongly recommend you check your MAF sensor for any oily build up in the MAF housing. Personally after this experience I will never use another pre-oiled foam filter ever again. If I do decide to reinstall my Frakencar intake I will definitely be using an Apexi filter. However I having doubts as to whether it’s worth risking another blown MAF sensor or not. I sure do love the Frankencar intake though.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:35 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

Originally posted by 2k2SEmax
My MAF sensor finally gave way today unexpectedly. I’ve had the Frakencar intake (which is a great product) with a Monster Flow air filter installed on my car for about 10 months or 9K miles. I’ve never experienced a problem with the intake or sensor until today. The worst part about this whole ordeal is that it is going to cost me $500 for a new MAF sensor. The dealer won’t replace it under the existing car warranty however that is another long story, which I don’t feel like recanting.

Apparently the oil or “non-petroleum agent” from the air filter caused the MAF sensor failure. If anyone is using these filters I strongly recommend you check your MAF sensor for any oily build up in the MAF housing. Personally after this experience I will never use another pre-oiled foam filter ever again. If I do decide to reinstall my Frakencar intake I will definitely be using an Apexi filter. However I having doubts as to whether it’s worth risking another blown MAF sensor or not. I sure do love the Frankencar intake though.
Dont spend 500 smackers...there is a part number for just the sensor itself and its under a $100
Old 12-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

Originally posted by Colonel

Dont spend 500 smackers...there is a part number for just the sensor itself and its under a $100
Clicky Here
Old 12-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Colonel

That or use alcohol or throttle body cleaner and clean the MAF. Dry it and plug and play. It has worked for several people now.

Click here!

Oh by the way the .org saves $$$ with the wealth of knowledge again!!!
Old 12-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

Originally posted by Maximam

That or use alcohol or throttle body cleaner and clean the MAF. Dry it and plug and play. It has worked for several people now.

Click here!
A must try first! Thanks for the correction!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

people with the apexi dry filter have also experienced blown maf sensors.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by MaximaZero
people with the apexi dry filter have also experienced blown maf sensors.

Welcome to the club....did you want to join? Maf killer crew?

Yes my apexi dry filter was used when my 3nd maf blew.....
Old 12-28-2002, 06:26 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try cleaning out the MAF first and see what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I did try to purchase just the MAF "sensor" for $100 however I contacted several dealers and was told that this wasn't an option on the 2002 model year. Apparently you can purchase the sensor only for the 2000-2001 model year. For the 2002 and up you have to purchase the entire MAF assembly. Maybe I was misinformed?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Got Bent?

I've had a K&N filter in my car since 15k miles and have had the Apexi filter for the last 8k miles with a frankencar intake... I have never had a MAF problem yet... but I have a 2k maxima
Old 12-28-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

Yes...pull it off and clean it first. Be sure to wipe the metal sides down REAL good and blow plenty of air through the "S" part of the flow path. You'll be fine then...

ADMAN
Old 12-28-2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by adman
Yes...pull it off and clean it first. Be sure to wipe the metal sides down REAL good and blow plenty of air through the "S" part of the flow path. You'll be fine then...

ADMAN
I removed the MAF sensor from the housing and cleaned it as best as I could. I even used emax's instructions in another thread to clean the sensor. I then replaced the sensor reconnected my battery and started the car. My SES light is still on and the car still won't rev past 2500 rpm's. Any other recommendations? My MAF may just be shot all together. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

I removed the MAF sensor from the housing and cleaned it as best as I could. I even used emax's instructions in another thread to clean the sensor. I then replaced the sensor reconnected my battery and started the car. My SES light is still on and the car still won't rev past 2500 rpm's. Any other recommendations? My MAF may just be shot all together. Thanks again for your help.
If you have it totally dry I would say maybe it is bad. Did you make sure to get it real clean?

Oh by the way, I suggest you use the pleated rubber pipe connection that comes factory to connect the midpipe to the throttle body. It will isolate the vibrations from the motor getting to the MAF.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

Originally posted by Maximam

If you have it totally dry I would say maybe it is bad. Did you make sure to get it real clean?

Oh by the way, I suggest you use the pleated rubber pipe connection that comes factory to connect the midpipe to the throttle body. It will isolate the vibrations from the motor getting to the MAF.
I cleaned the sensor with K&N Filter cleaner, rinsed it out, then dried it with a heating iron (just like emax did with his). The sensor was really dirty before I cleaned it. Believe me, I cleaned it real good. It was now obvious why it failed on me. It's probably just bad and beyond cleaning/repair.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try cleaning out the MAF first and see what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I did try to purchase just the MAF "sensor" for $100 however I contacted several dealers and was told that this wasn't an option on the 2002 model year. Apparently you can purchase the sensor only for the 2000-2001 model year. For the 2002 and up you have to purchase the entire MAF assembly. Maybe I was misinformed?
isnt it funny how only the years with the MAF problems are the years where you have to buy the whole MAF and cant buy just the sensor nissan service is horrible
Old 12-28-2002, 03:24 PM

Re: Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by JoesMAX

isnt it funny how only the years with the MAF problems are the years where you have to buy the whole MAF and cant buy just the sensor nissan service is horrible
YES! It sucks and I'm angry as hell about out. I wish there was something else I could do about it. I was planning on spending that money on a new set of rims and tires. I guess I'll have to wait now.....
Old 12-28-2002, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

YES! It sucks and I'm angry as hell about out. I wish there was something else I could do about it. I was planning on spending that money on a new set of rims and tires. I guess I'll have to wait now.....
even though they can technically blame us for the MAF blowing, it still shouldnt blow from an intake.. you can put an intake on a damn hyundai without blowing it, why should it blow on our cars? not to mention there were no issues prior to 2002.. but you cant argue with nissan, they still wont warranty it. you should have put the stock intake back on before you brought it in, thats what i did when mine went and i had no problems
Old 12-29-2002, 12:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

you should have put the stock intake back on before you brought it in, thats what i did when mine went and i had no problems
Exactly!
Old 12-29-2002, 06:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

even though they can technically blame us for the MAF blowing, it still shouldnt blow from an intake.. you can put an intake on a damn hyundai without blowing it, why should it blow on our cars? not to mention there were no issues prior to 2002.. but you cant argue with nissan, they still wont warranty it. you should have put the stock intake back on before you brought it in, thats what i did when mine went and i had no problems
I put the stock airbox on prior to taking it to the dealer. The problem was that they noticed the MAF sensor had been off or tampered with at some point. The bolts were worn and I cracked the the edge of the MAF housing while removing it the first time from my stock airbox. I was able to piece it back together with krazy glue however you could tell it was cracked while examining real close. When confronted with this info by the dealer there was nothing I could say to change their mine. I would have taken my car to another dealer however they had already logged my VIN in the computer with the problem. The moral of this story is to make sure everything looks perfect before taking it to the dealer. They are damn picky.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

If you can't rev high, then it sounds like your car is still in limp mode. Leave your battery disconnected longer or step on the brake pedal or something to completely discharge the ECU.

ADMAN
Old 01-02-2003, 03:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

If you can't rev high, then it sounds like your car is still in limp mode. Leave your battery disconnected longer or step on the brake pedal or something to completely discharge the ECU.

ADMAN
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I tried everything to get my car back to 'normal' this past weekend. I cleaned the MAF sensor twice really good then disconnected the battery 'both negative and positive' for roughly 30 hours. I also stepped on the brake pedal to supposedly discharge the ECU (I read about this in another thread). The next day I reconnected my battery, started the car and experienced the same problems. The SES light came on and the car wouldn't rev over 2500 RPMS. At this point I gave up and took my car into the dealer. They gave me a new MAF sensor and had to reprogram my ECU. On the bright side I must say that my car is running really strong now. It feels faster than it did before. Of course this could just be my imagination. All of my other mods (RT CAT, HKS Exhaust, B-Pipe and UR Pulley) are still on the car. I'm still debating on whether or not to put the intake back on the car. What do you think?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

It was probably a bad MAF then. If it can't sense the air flow/temperature then it won't rev right. They probably just reprogrammed the ECU becuase the code was old.

As for the intake: That's your call. I'd just make sure it's oil free before I'd use it again. Or, that it has a good filter that does let a lot of crap pass. Otherwise, it will probably destroy the new MAF too.

Old 01-02-2003, 04:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

It was probably a bad MAF then. If it can't sense the air flow/temperature then it won't rev right. They probably just reprogrammed the ECU becuase the code was old.

As for the intake: That's your call. I'd just make sure it's oil free before I'd use it again. Or, that it has a good filter that does let a lot of crap pass. Otherwise, it will probably destroy the new MAF too.

What intake/filter combo are you using, if any?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Stillen/Dry.
3-1/2 years now...
Old 01-03-2003, 12:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Stillen/Dry.
3-1/2 years now...

Stillen uses a K&N filter and it's oiled.

I just had my MAFS go on me, then the replacement went after just 3 days. This sucks.. BTW the replacement went even though I switched to a apexi filter.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by emax95

I just had my MAFS go on me, then the replacement went after just 3 days. This sucks.. BTW the replacement went even though I switched to a apexi filter.
That sucks. 2 MAF's in 4 dys.....
Old 01-03-2003, 06:06 AM

Are you still using your Frankencar intake or have you reverted back to stock? I would hate to put the intake back on my car then have my MAF go out again.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ha dude don't curse me! Mine's running great on my new MAF -- but it'll be three days tomorrow!!
Old 01-03-2003, 11:39 AM

Yeah, but mine is not...
Old 01-03-2003, 12:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Yeah, but mine is not...
So you've been using a non-oiled K&N Filter for nearly 3 years and haven't had a problem with your MAF? What did you do to the filter?
Old 01-03-2003, 01:21 PM

I was going to get the frankencar intake...

...but after reading about all the MAF nightmares people have had I think I just changed my mind. What the hell is it about the Max that make them not play nice with intakes? I have never heard about this on a car before.

Oh, I agree with putting the car back to stock when you go to the dealer. I would have argued like crazy about them telling you that the MAF was tampered with. "What the hell do you mean? What's a MAF?"

How did it get all busted up to begin with? Is that typical on a Frankencar install?
Old 01-03-2003, 01:50 PM

Re: I was going to get the frankencar intake...

Originally posted by spta97
...but after reading about all the MAF nightmares people have had I think I just changed my mind. What the hell is it about the Max that make them not play nice with intakes? I have never heard about this on a car before.

Oh, I agree with putting the car back to stock when you go to the dealer. I would have argued like crazy about them telling you that the MAF was tampered with. "What the hell do you mean? What's a MAF?"

How did it get all busted up to begin with? Is that typical on a Frankencar install?
To sum it up...the MAF sensor's are crap. They suck plain and simple. I've never heard of so many MAF sensor failures on one car due to an intake. If you're trying to remove your MAF for the first time, good luck to you! It's like 'pulling teeth' to remove the MAF for the first time. I torqued my ratchet so hard trying to remove the bolts from the factory airbox that I broke two ends off the MAF sensor and wore down that factory bolts noticably. I was able to re-attach the ends with Krazy Glue. The Frankencar intake is a great product however I have doubt's about putting it back on my car. I don't want to risk blowing another MAF. Maybe I'll just wait for NISMO to release an air intake system for my car. At least it will be covered under warranty if the MAF sensor fails again!

As far as the dealer is concerned, I did argue with them at length about the MAF repair. I even told the technician what I thought the problem was when I first took it into the dealer. I actually knew it was the MAF after reading so many testimonials on the forum. I should have just kept my mouth shut all together. He just caught me off guard about the MAF being tampered with and I couldn't come back with a good enough arguement to convince him otherwise. Looking back on everything, I would handeled things very differently. It's an expensive lesson to learn.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blown MAF with Frankencar+Monster Flow filter

I cleaned the sensor with K&N Filter cleaner, rinsed it out, then dried it with a heating iron (just like emax did with his). The sensor was really dirty before I cleaned it. Believe me, I cleaned it real good. It was now obvious why it failed on me. It's probably just bad and beyond cleaning/repair.
How's about trying brake clean or electrical cleaner? Those really dissolve everything really well and evaporate away fast without leaving a residue.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: I was going to get the frankencar intake...

I don’t understand why so many people have problems with this MAF thing:

The MAF on our cars is a heated electro that constantly monitors temperature. It does this by sensing the amount of air it takes to cool the unit. If you put on an aftermarket unit that does not provide enough protection against the elements, like a lot of the CAI units, it will damage your MAF. Likewise, if you put on an overly oiled aftermarket filter, like a lot of the K&N type units, it too will damage your MAF as well.

The stock airbox is designed to only allow AIR to pass through the sensor.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i've found them used at junkyards for around $100 for the whole thing AND the junkyard warrantied the part. i got a new one, it blew after 3 days and they sent me another one. www.car-part.com
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 PM

Re: Re: I was going to get the frankencar intake...

It's an expensive lesson to learn.
BTW: You can get a new MAF from DaveB for $80.00 +/-
Old 01-03-2003, 02:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: I was going to get the frankencar intake...

BTW: You can get a new MAF from DaveB for $80.00 +/-
Not for a 2k2. True, you can buy just the MAF sensor for around $100 for a 2k or 2k1 however for a 2k2 and 2k3 you have to buy the entire MAF. They don't sell the sensor separately for 2k2 and up. I tried to purchase just the sensor for my car. BTW I assume you're just talking about the sensor and not the entire MAF.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
i've found them used at junkyards for around $100 for the whole thing AND the junkyard warrantied the part. i got a new one, it blew after 3 days and they sent me another one. www.car-part.com
Great site! Thanks for the URL. I only wish I had known about it before I got my car fixed. Oh well....
Old 01-03-2003, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: I was going to get the frankencar intake...

I don’t understand why so many people have problems with this MAF thing:

The MAF on our cars is a heated electro that constantly monitors temperature. It does this by sensing the amount of air it takes to cool the unit. If you put on an aftermarket unit that does not provide enough protection against the elements, like a lot of the CAI units, it will damage your MAF. Likewise, if you put on an overly oiled aftermarket filter, like a lot of the K&N type units, it too will damage your MAF as well.

The stock airbox is designed to only allow AIR to pass through the sensor.
People said that they also had problems with the Apexi filter - dry.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:42 PM

I put a K&N panel filter in my 2002 Max when it had only 300 miles
on it. At 5000 miles my MAF sensor went bye bye.