5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

r@ped by,,,,hmmmm,,like a jetta

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Mauja He Mauja

r@ped by,,,,hmmmm,,like a jetta

i posted this before, and did not get any replies. 2kSE with 90K, A/T. plugs changed at 66000. no mods other than a berk intake. change oil every 3500 Mobil 1.

recently i have noticed that if i am in high gear going about 60, and i floor it, i just don't get the juice like i used to. it's like the car almost coughs. i guess the same as if you have the shifter in 2nd gear trying to get the max hit 100 or so. so i floor it for 10 seconds, instead of it just getting it, like it used to, it does not seem to raise the speed any. then if i ease off the pedal a little bit, it stops coughing. but by then i have already been r@ped by,,,,hmmmm,,like a jetta

not only is it concerning, irritating, but also embarrassing....HELP. do i need new coils, plugs. do i need to get the timming checked,,,what what????
Old 10-11-2003, 11:31 PM

hesitation

Originally Posted by dba1999us
i posted this before, and did not get any replies. 2kSE with 90K, A/T. plugs changed at 66000. no mods other than a berk intake. change oil every 3500 Mobil 1.

recently i have noticed that if i am in high gear going about 60, and i floor it, i just don't get the juice like i used to. it's like the car almost coughs. i guess the same as if you have the shifter in 2nd gear trying to get the max hit 100 or so. so i floor it for 10 seconds, instead of it just getting it, like it used to, it does not seem to raise the speed any. then if i ease off the pedal a little bit, it stops coughing. but by then i have already been r@ped by,,,,hmmmm,,like a jetta

not only is it concerning, irritating, but also embarrassing....HELP. do i need new coils, plugs. do i need to get the timming checked,,,what what????

I would definately check the coils and plugs first.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:58 AM

Have your ECM checked it could be that it needs to be changed.

You will notice a world of difference once this has been done in all the driving characteristics of your car.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

VIAS maybe?
Old 10-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by bk2kmax
Have your ECM checked it could be that it needs to be changed.

You will notice a world of difference once this has been done in all the driving characteristics of your car.
thanks for the advice. and how do i go about getthing that done?
Old 10-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by asu174
VIAS maybe?

Old 10-12-2003, 10:06 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

you want to have the fuel filter replaced. its in the tank so you may want to consider taking it to nissan. if you replaced plugs 30k miles ago and you used plats then you should be fine. if you used copper, then its time to replace again. just because you lost to a jetta does not mean anything. i saw a probe GT put down 360 to the wheels yesterday and looked bone stock from the outside except for rx-7 wheels. you may also want to check the maf and the screen that sits in front of it. the intake will pull air in and it also pulls some dirt and oil from the filter. clean the screen and pull the maf and make sure its not covered in dirt/oil. vias is your variable intake that opens up around 5k rpms to give you max power in your 2k.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by sloppymax
you want to have the fuel filter replaced. its in the tank so you may want to consider taking it to nissan. if you replaced plugs 30k miles ago and you used plats then you should be fine. if you used copper, then its time to replace again. just because you lost to a jetta does not mean anything. i saw a probe GT put down 360 to the wheels yesterday and looked bone stock from the outside except for rx-7 wheels. you may also want to check the maf and the screen that sits in front of it. the intake will pull air in and it also pulls some dirt and oil from the filter. clean the screen and pull the maf and make sure its not covered in dirt/oil. vias is your variable intake that opens up around 5k rpms to give you max power in your 2k.
thanks. i will do so in a couple of days. will post results..
Old 10-12-2003, 04:00 PM

thanks for the advice. and how do i go about getthing that done?

You have to take it to Nissan and have them hook it up on the diagnostic machine to run a series of tests to find out exactly what your problem may be. The only problem is that the machine will diagnose several possible causes and after they have corrected all of them they will tell you that it may possibly be your ECM.

The ECM isn't cheap, they round around $700.00 or so, maybe you can get them to give you a deal and get it around 6something. It could get pretty expensive if first the replace your MAF <which is one of the possible reasons the machine will surrender as part of the diagnosis and then it will read other possible causes but it seems that they always try to start at the cheapest possible problem and work their way back to the engine.

This is the only way I know of and as I stated it could get pretty expensive, not only will a new ECM (Not saying that that is your problem) correct your problem it will solve other drivability issues as well.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by bk2kmax
You have to take it to Nissan and have them hook it up on the diagnostic machine to run a series of tests to find out exactly

This is the only way I know of and as I stated it could get pretty expensive, not only will a new ECM (Not saying that that is your problem) correct your problem it will solve other drivability issues as well.

Good luck
why would such a thing happen? i have always taken care of her...
Old 10-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Mauja He Mauja

vias is your variable intake that opens up around 5k rpms to give you max power in your 2k.
a friend of mine, drove a 1999 accord, once had the VTEC sensor go out. is there something like that in our maximas??
Old 10-12-2003, 07:14 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

a friend of mine, drove a 1999 accord, once had the VTEC sensor go out. is there something like that in our maximas??
there is no reason to hook it up to a diagnostic machine if the check engine light is off. there are a few ghost codes but the only one i can think of would be the knock sensor but from what i gather in the 4th gen forum, you only feel that one low end. there is no sensor for our variable intake but if you want to test yours, then unplug it and run it on the highway. if it feels the same then youve got a problem, if it feels even worse then thats not it.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I'm definitely thinking that his VIAS is dead.....
Old 10-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by asu174
I'm definitely thinking that his VIAS is dead.....
and how many bones will that break?? hey didn't you have a 2K??
Old 10-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Mauja He Mauja

there is no reason to hook it up to a diagnostic machine if the check engine light is off. there are a few ghost codes but the only one i can think of would be the knock sensor but from what i gather in the 4th gen forum, you only feel that one low end. there is no sensor for our variable intake but if you want to test yours, then unplug it and run it on the highway. if it feels the same then youve got a problem, if it feels even worse then thats not it.
i read the write-up in the how to section. still a little confused..anyone with a dig camera?? where is it located?? thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 09:15 AM

I had the same problem with my 2000 auto max. I questioned the vias on mine, but when I went to test it (put the car up on jackstands and checked if it was opening up past 5500rpms) it worked fine. Then I questioned the auto tranny and the coils. I had the tranny tsb done and wasn't sure if it had something to do with the new tcm messing with the shift points. Looking into the coils, it would have cost alot of money to replace them and it would be a 50/50 chance that it would fix the problem. I ended up trading it in for a 2001 5-speed and couldn't be happier. I still wonder what was wrong with my 2000.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:07 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Max's Max
I had the same problem with my 2000 auto max. I questioned the vias on mine, but when I went to test it (put the car up on jackstands and checked if it was opening up past 5500rpms) it worked fine. Then I questioned the auto tranny and the coils. I had the tranny tsb done and wasn't sure if it had something to do with the new tcm messing with the shift points. Looking into the coils, it would have cost alot of money to replace them and it would be a 50/50 chance that it would fix the problem. I ended up trading it in for a 2001 5-speed and couldn't be happier. I still wonder what was wrong with my 2000.
when you had the tcm replaced, did you notice different shift points than before?
Old 10-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i floored it in the 2nd gear today. the coughing started at 4000 RPM, it went until 5500 and then i let it shift...
Old 10-13-2003, 09:59 PM

when you had the tcm replaced, did you notice different shift points than before?
I had the tcm replaced as shortly after I brought it home from the dealer, so I really didn't what it should of felt like. Knowing it had a problem with the trans, I didn't drive it hard till I got it fixed.