5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 owners with 6 disc in dash changer.....PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 09:50 AM

Reprint from web search articles.....

Operation is poor or erratic when cold:

Possible causes:

1. Gummed up grease or dirt inhibiting movement until warm.
2. Condensation on optical components due to temperature change.
3. Bad connections or dirty contacts affected by temperature.

This is somewhat the opposite of overheating and is usually NOT due to a
failing part - electronic components generally misbehave when hot, not cold.

For a system that is not exposed to the elements (e.g., a portable taken from
sub-zero outdoors and immediately put to use indoors), the most likely cause
is mechanical: Gummed up grease and dirt are stiffer when cold and inhibit
motion of the sled and other moving parts until the unit warms up.

However, for automotive units and portables - which are not well sealed,
condensation can form form on the optics if a cold player is exposed to a
humid environment. This may be the case when you get into your car on cold
days until the CD player itself warms up to ambient temperature. If a VCR
or camcorder detects condensation, it will flash a DEW warning and refuse
to do anything to protects itself. For VCRs, this is critical because you
could end up with a mess and expensive repair bill if the video tape were to
stick to the spinning video head drum. Unfortunately, CD players don't have
this feature since nothing catastrophic would happen. A warning would be
nice, however!

A third possibility is that there are bad connections or dirty contacts
in the unit that are affected by temperature resulting in erratic behavior
as they expand.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had 4 CR070.

The original was replaced when the left channel starting cutting out with CDs.

The first replacement never would even load CDs - it just gave an error code.

The second replacement lasted about a year before it had the same keft channel CD problem.

The third replacement has been working for about 6 months now.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 AM
NT2SHBBY

Just Rip The Garbage Out And Replace It All!

Old 03-19-2004, 04:42 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by dbett
I've had 4 CR070.

The original was replaced when the left channel starting cutting out with CDs.

The first replacement never would even load CDs - it just gave an error code.

The second replacement lasted about a year before it had the same keft channel CD problem.

The third replacement has been working for about 6 months now.
This sounds like me! I had 4 Bose HU's in my car before I got so ****ed off that I spent about $700 and replaced my HU, installed an amp and installed all new speakers. Now the stereo sounds great and no more problems. Nissan should pay me back for that one. Between the crappy HU and the aweful sound, I'll never buy Clarion or Bose again.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:44 AM

with this problem the speakers don't cut out all the way do they? i think i'm having the same prob but if i send the signal to the left speakers i still get sound it's just very very low quality. I have both of my subs wired into the signal wire to the left speakers only, and even though the sound is cutting out, one sub is still getting some signal and is making some noise, which is strange cuz they are both wired into the left speaker. it's a CR070.

Is this going to be covered by warranty?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
with this problem the speakers don't cut out all the way do they? i think i'm having the same prob but if i send the signal to the left speakers i still get sound it's just very very low quality. I have both of my subs wired into the signal wire to the left speakers only, and even though the sound is cutting out, one sub is still getting some signal and is making some noise, which is strange cuz they are both wired into the left speaker. it's a CR070.

Is this going to be covered by warranty?
yeah when the speakers are "cutting out" it could be better described as they sound like they have been blown. very distorted and static sounding.

it is covered under warranty.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Newman
yeah when the speakers are "cutting out" it could be better described as they sound like they have been blown. very distorted and static sounding.

it is covered under warranty.
the speakers sounding blown is definitely where i'm at with my car.
that's good news that warranty will cover it.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:54 PM

ok, i got my car down to the nissan place for a diagnosis. i gave them a copy of the TSB and when they called me with the diag. they tell me that the most they can do for me is to use the clarion exchange program in which i send them my head unit and the send me a refurbished one. then they tell me that it's going to cost $250 plus $80 installation. WTF? wasn't it free for all you guys that had this prob? what should i do? 1) i don't really have a spare $330 laying around and 2) I don't wanna be without music for any amount of time let alone a whole week and 3) i don't wanna give these @$$wipers any of my money to fix a problem that's their fault.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
ok, i got my car down to the nissan place for a diagnosis. i gave them a copy of the TSB and when they called me with the diag. they tell me that the most they can do for me is to use the clarion exchange program in which i send them my head unit and the send me a refurbished one. then they tell me that it's going to cost $250 plus $80 installation. WTF? wasn't it free for all you guys that had this prob? what should i do? 1) i don't really have a spare $330 laying around and 2) I don't wanna be without music for any amount of time let alone a whole week and 3) i don't wanna give these @$$wipers any of my money to fix a problem that's their fault.
thats BS. if you car is still under warranty, you shouldnt pay a dime. when i took my 1st head unit in for that problem i was surprised at how willing the dealer was to replace it. i *told* him what my problem was and he said "ive seen this before. we'll order you a new one and put that in".

if they wont budge then go to a different dealer. this is assuming you are still w/in warranty.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:20 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

I'm on #3, and this one is CR070. This one works the best so far....

Old 03-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am on my third since I've owned the car (just about a year now). It's a CR070 and is already acting up when it's cold. It'll be skipping when warm within a few months I'm sure - then I'll take it in to be replaced.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Newman
thats BS. if you car is still under warranty, you shouldnt pay a dime. when i took my 1st head unit in for that problem i was surprised at how willing the dealer was to replace it. i *told* him what my problem was and he said "ive seen this before. we'll order you a new one and put that in".

if they wont budge then go to a different dealer. this is assuming you are still w/in warranty.
not only am i still under the factory warranty but i'm paying an extra $10/month for an extended 100,000 mile warranty.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by IgS
CR070 replaced my HD not too long ago, for the left side cutting in and out, and CD player skipping when cold.
I have 2k3 TE as well. lately I have also noticed that my driver's side speakers have been cutting out a lot. I will be callin the dealership as well to see if this can be fixed!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by LSUmax
I have 2k3 TE as well. lately I have also noticed that my driver's side speakers have been cutting out a lot. I will be callin the dealership as well to see if this can be fixed!
if it's totally covered under your warranty lemme know.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:32 PM

CR070...

I seem to be having 'special' problems. No cutting out or skipping. One day the CD changer just decided to quit working!!! that god I emptied it of all CD's first, but for a while it was on and off, and a bit tempermental. Now it just won't work. You hit 'load' or 'cd' and nothing happens. GAH!!!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:34 PM

CR260

It had to be changed 6 times ever since I bought my car July of 2002. When it broke for the 6th time, I just got mad and went ahead and bought an aftermarket.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:43 PM

I just love the type of bs the service people can think of. First they tell you that you shouldn't be using a copied cd-r, you should always use original cds. As for the cd skipping in the cold, they love to say "It's your cd lense or your lense is dirty or the cd is scratched".

After my 5th head unit when the cd player skipped like crazy anytime the car is parked when it's 35 degrees or colder for long period of time, I drove straight to the dealer and stopped at a store and bought one block of dry ice. I had a portable cd player and i literally placed the sony walkman on top of the dry ice for about 10 minutes until that thing got very very cold. Popped the cd in and I said "Oh gee, it's not skipping is it?"

The reason why it skips in the cold is that the bose headunit doesn't have a high quality laser lense. Simple as that.