5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tsb's, and if anyone has had this one

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 04:41 PM

tsb's, and if anyone has had this one

i really need some serious help from somebody, my car has never given me any problems, and today the power is like cut in half their is no accelaration what so ever, also from a dead stop if i put my car in reverse, it will not reverse, i floored the car but it was to weak to reverse, at 3 stop lights today when the light turned green usually if u have an auto the second u take youre foot of the brake the car will roll forward w/out even giving any gas right? well mine just stood their frozen, i had to floor it to get it moving. I have already replaced my maf and the car goes past 2 rpms easily, so i know thats not it??? ....

without going to a nissan dealer can i go somewhere else that could some how tell me what the tsb is or if anyone knows it, the dealer will not do squat for me since i have voided my warranty with mods

thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by phantomax01
i really need some serious help from somebody, my car has never given me any problems, and today the power is like cut in half their is no accelaration what so ever, also from a dead stop if i put my car in reverse, it will not reverse, i floored the car but it was to weak to reverse, at 3 stop lights today when the light turned green usually if u have an auto the second u take youre foot of the brake the car will roll forward w/out even giving any gas right? well mine just stood their frozen, i had to floor it to get it moving. I have already replaced my maf and the car goes past 2 rpms easily, so i know thats not it??? ....

without going to a nissan dealer can i go somewhere else that could some how tell me what the tsb is or if anyone knows it, the dealer will not do squat for me since i have voided my warranty with mods

thanks
There's a chance that this is the timing sensors that are subject to the current recalll campaign. search the first few pages of this site for the "has anyone gotten their recall" thread and I think you'll find the recall link. Power loss and hard starting are problems. If the timing sensor is toast, you're not gonna make power. The recall also mentions that it might turn off.

Did your service engine soon (SES) light tunr on? It should be seeing the errror.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sweeper
There's a chance that this is the timing sensors that are subject to the current recalll campaign. search the first few pages of this site for the "has anyone gotten their recall" thread and I think you'll find the recall link. Power loss and hard starting are problems. If the timing sensor is toast, you're not gonna make power. The recall also mentions that it might turn off.

Did your service engine soon (SES) light tunr on? It should be seeing the errror.
That sensor recall is for 02 and 03 Max, not 01.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Its not a timing sensor recall for the 2k3 either, its a crank position or crank angle sensor which really has nothing to do with the timing. It senses the revolutions of the crankshaft.

Sounds to me like your coils are shorting out or not firing.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by slag
Its not a timing sensor recall for the 2k3 either, its a crank position or crank angle sensor which really has nothing to do with the timing. It senses the revolutions of the crankshaft.

i appreciate the help alot guys, my car is an o1 so maybe the recall only applies to 3.5's? u wanna hear some weird stuff to, the car becomes very normal and accelarates fine then after about 10 minutes the same stuff happens again and the car is super sluggish, im talking like 0-60 in 15 ticks, the car has 37,000 so spark plugs shouldnt be the reason y i cant even reverse my car lol
Old 01-22-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by slag

Well I don't think it has anything to do with your engine. On my old '95 max, my car was doing the exact same thing. Every now and then at stop lights I could floor it and it would creep forward, and the reverse wasn't very strong either. But then sometimes it would work fine but it never had the same grunt that it used to. Unfortunately, this was caused by a malfunctining tranny, the spline gear that comes in from the side was ground down at the mounting poinst which caused the rest of the gears to get eaten up by the metal shards. Which is why it wouldn't go anywhere in foward or reverse. This (if it is the same) is a serious problem, and you need to get it fixed ASAP otherwise you will get stranded.......And also once you got the car to shift out of first it was usually fine...just the dead stop thing that messed it up.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
Well I don't think it has anything to do with your engine. On my old '95 max, my car was doing the exact same thing. Every now and then at stop lights I could floor it and it would creep forward, and the reverse wasn't very strong either. But then sometimes it would work fine but it never had the same grunt that it used to. Unfortunately, this was caused by a malfunctining tranny, the spline gear that comes in from the side was ground down at the mounting poinst which caused the rest of the gears to get eaten up by the metal shards. Which is why it wouldn't go anywhere in foward or reverse. This (if it is the same) is a serious problem, and you need to get it fixed ASAP otherwise you will get stranded.......And also once you got the car to shift out of first it was usually fine...just the dead stop thing that messed it up.

now i took it to the highway today, at 70mph,the rpm gauge stays at 6500 rpms and is screaming as if i were going full throttle when im really not,im afraid to take it past 70, and if i go nissan my warranty will be voided cause of my mods, i was hoping me and my mechanic could work it out but are u sure that this is because my gears are being eaten up?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by phantomax01
now i took it to the highway today, at 70mph,the rpm gauge stays at 6500 rpms and is screaming as if i were going full throttle when im really not,im afraid to take it past 70, and if i go nissan my warranty will be voided cause of my mods, i was hoping me and my mechanic could work it out but are u sure that this is because my gears are being eaten up?

Disclaimer: NO ONE CAN BE SURE OF ANYTHING.

I suggest taking it by a good tranny shop and see what they say.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:27 PM

Your best bet may be to get your car to a tranny repair shop and let them diagnose the issue. With these types of problems particularly an auto trans the longer you let it go the worse the situation gets.

If your not sure about a particular shop ... check with your local better business bureau to see if the shop has had any complaints against it.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:30 PM

LOL quick fingers there Bulldawg ya beat me to the draw.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
LOL quick fingers there Bulldawg ya beat me to the draw.

thanks alot guys, i might have to do that first thing tomorow, has anyone heard anything else similar to my situation like is it common? i thought this would be the tranny slipping tsb but not the way its driving
Old 01-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just try to take off some of the mods and go to the dealer and see what they say because u have warrenty left. thats what i would do