5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N and OSCAI question..(again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 09:35 PM

Sup guys, just recently joined the forum. I've read through past K&N and OSCAI questions, but don't seem to understand some things. Many say you can by the "drop in filter from K&N" at autozone.. the filter, is that just like the stock filter, but more porous? Do you just put it in the stock air box?? Also, does anyone have descriptive information on installing the OSCAI? Just to let you guys know, I just recently did my own "custom grill", meshed it out in black with the silver molding.. looks real good. If you have any question, I'll be more than happy to answer them, it took me a few hours, but cost me barely anything. I'll try to post some pics up. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What part on NY are you from? Im from Jersey City and wanna do this mod myself. I just ordered the K&N from Performance International. It would be cool to get together and try this mod. Im more of a techie and even a carpenter. Being a grease monkey is not my thing. Lemme know if you wanna get together and do this.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:14 AM

I'm interested in that grill work. Post pics if you can. Others here are most likely interested as well.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by ReprEsenTin NY
Sup guys, just recently joined the forum. I've read through past K&N and OSCAI questions, but don't seem to understand some things. Many say you can by the "drop in filter from K&N" at autozone.. the filter, is that just like the stock filter, but more porous? Do you just put it in the stock air box?? Also, does anyone have descriptive information on installing the OSCAI? Just to let you guys know, I just recently did my own "custom grill", meshed it out in black with the silver molding.. looks real good. If you have any question, I'll be more than happy to answer them, it took me a few hours, but cost me barely anything. I'll try to post some pics up. Thanks.
For OSCAI install check out the link in my sig.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by punkdork

For OSCAI install check out the link in my sig.
Thanks Punkdork.. what is that ooglie antennae??? and where the heck do you get it?? it's looks real nice.. and that guy from jersey city.. yeah, let's work on it. i'm from NYC, queens. thanks fellas.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:33 AM

Thanks Punkdork.. what is that ooglie antennae??? and where the heck do you get it?? it's looks real nice.. and that guy from jersey city.. yeah, let's work on it. i'm from NYC, queens. thanks fellas.
Its a fake antenna (looks only) that I got from Yongjun. You can find them at local speed shops or email Yongjun and he might be able to get one for you... I think it was like $20.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:12 AM

Question

I was wondering about the install. After removing the sensors, do you put them back or leave them off? And if you do replace them where do you install them because the stock intake is now gone. Do you just make holes into your OSCAI and stick the sensors in there? Sorry, I have no idea.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:23 AM

Re: Question

Originally posted by kpark
I was wondering about the install. After removing the sensors, do you put them back or leave them off? And if you do replace them where do you install them because the stock intake is now gone. Do you just make holes into your OSCAI and stick the sensors in there? Sorry, I have no idea.
You keep the sensors and put them back on the stock scoop. All you are doing is adding a large tube to the bottom of the scoop.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:39 AM

Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by punkdork

You keep the sensors and put them back on the stock scoop. All you are doing is adding a large tube to the bottom of the scoop.
Punkdork, do we need to cut out anything from the "scoop"? Is there a predrilled hole there? I was also wondering, is this oscai better in performance then let's say a custom cone intake?
Old 03-20-2001, 11:07 AM

I had a cone filter and my car wouldn't stay running at idle at times - sometimes when parked and idling, other times when I was going 70 mph and I engaged the clutch to slow to a stop. I read about the OSCAI and decided to try it. Since it's been on, with a K&N, I've had no problems and I'm getting similar throttle response. Over 30 mph or so, I can punch the accelerator and get a very firm response. Ergo, it's been my experience that the OSCAI is a better option. As far as the hole is concerned, I haven't found a definitive answer as to what's best. If you look underneath the front of your car at the splash guard (bunch of black plastic sheets), you'll see a place where it bends down toward the ground instead of being parallel to the ground. I cut a rectangular hole there and siliconed a shop vac end piece (goes at the end of a wand to vacuum up stuff) into the hole to act as a scoop of sorts. Check out punkdork's OSCAI link for pictures of the rest. Good luck - you'll be glad you did it.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by thorizeen
I had a cone filter and my car wouldn't stay running at idle at times - sometimes when parked and idling, other times when I was going 70 mph and I engaged the clutch to slow to a stop. I read about the OSCAI and decided to try it. Since it's been on, with a K&N, I've had no problems and I'm getting similar throttle response. Over 30 mph or so, I can punch the accelerator and get a very firm response. Ergo, it's been my experience that the OSCAI is a better option. As far as the hole is concerned, I haven't found a definitive answer as to what's best. If you look underneath the front of your car at the splash guard (bunch of black plastic sheets), you'll see a place where it bends down toward the ground instead of being parallel to the ground. I cut a rectangular hole there and siliconed a shop vac end piece (goes at the end of a wand to vacuum up stuff) into the hole to act as a scoop of sorts. Check out punkdork's OSCAI link for pictures of the rest. Good luck - you'll be glad you did it.
Thanks thorizeen, but I was wondering about where to put the other end of the shop vac material. Would that be on the airbox or that intake part that goes to the bumper? When I take out the sensors, and take the first part( the part near the bumper) off, will I see an area where I can attach the shop vac too? Thanks. Does anyone else have any other opinions on the cone intake VS. OSCAI?? Thanks, appreciate everyone's input. Does anyone know about the silencer? Punkdork?? is it hard to take out? real loud?? Again, thanks.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:41 PM

Thanks thorizeen, but I was wondering about where to put the other end of the shop vac material. Would that be on the airbox or that intake part that goes to the bumper? When I take out the sensors, and take the first part( the part near the bumper) off, will I see an area where I can attach the shop vac too? Thanks. Does anyone else have any other opinions on the cone intake VS. OSCAI?? Thanks, appreciate everyone's input. Does anyone know about the silencer? Punkdork?? is it hard to take out? real loud?? Again, thanks.
Okay....

Silencer... a pain to take out... not worth it. Besides it doesn't do anything once you've put the tube on. No drilling required on the scoop (for mine, some supposedly don't have the 3" hole at the bottom of the scoop). Also... it doesn't really silence anything... so I couldn't tell you why its called a slilencer. Noise level with a k&n panel is less than with a cone intake (I've done both). I've heard the OSCAI can give you .2 secs on the 1/4 mile over a cone intake. They dyno the same... but as many have said.. dyno's dont show the true benefit of a CAI.