5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealer MAF Rip-Off? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 PM

Dealer MAF Rip-Off? Help!

I took the car into the dealer today for a stalling problem and a P0430 code. Diagnosis: MAF sensor. They quoted the job at $512.60 for the MAF sensor and $127.50 for labor. I told them I could get the MAF on-line for under $400 and asked them if they could do better on the price of the part. They called back with $457.40 plus the labor. I then approved the work. When I picked up the car after checking out, I popped the hood and noticed they only changed the sensor piece and not the whole MAF assembly. I went back inside and they said the piece comes alone and does not include the air tube. The number on the MAF sensor is 3922. On the reciept the part number is listed as 22680-AD210 METER ASSY. I filed a written complaint and they said they would check into it. Does anyone have any insight - I've read the sensor is actually inexpensive without the assembly but I have not been able to buy it separately on my own.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 PM

I bought a MAF from www.jerryromenissan.com
Part Number # 226802Y001

Price is $88.04 with promotional code: sale30 got a 18% discount.

Came out to:
Total Amount:
$72.20 USD
Shipping:
$10.83 USD

Total Amount:
$83.03 USD

Took me 5 minutes to replace. And for that price I got the whole MAF assembly not just the sensor. You got ripped off BIG-TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:41 PM

I would make a couple of copies of that paperwork. File a compliant with your local BBB and call Nissan Consumer Affairs Office since what they did was illegal. Charging you a lot yet they only did the MAF sensor. Last thing, I would threaten them that you can file against them through your State Attornery General's Office.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:46 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Holy crap. You should have asked us before you decided to let them fix your MAF.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:16 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
I bought a MAF from www.jerryromenissan.com
Part Number # 226802Y001

The new part number is 22680-AD210
Old 04-27-2004, 10:59 PM

oh geez u got ripped off. So they charged you for the whole assembly, but only changed the sensor?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:37 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Y2k Max Luv
if you look at the catalog or jerry rome's site you will see there are 2 part numbers. the part number posted by trance arthur is the updated maf that sells for around 80 shipped but they list 22680-AD210 as well. this assembly on their site is around 450. both should include the sensor and the tube which is why it is obvious that this guy was ripped off.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:35 AM

Dave Burnette could have hooked you up with a deal on a MAF and you could have done it your self. See if you can get them to give you some money back.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 AM

UPDATE: Dealer called back and said that 2268AD201 includes only the sensor without the air tube and comes in a small box - so they're not budging. I told him about Part #226802Y001 and that Jerry-Rome is selling it for $88 online with a list price of $103.58. He said he'd look into it. I called Nissan who said they have no information on list prices or part contents and told me to call other dealers for that information. No dealer I called explained the difference if any between the two part numbers or justified the price difference. Jerry-Rome said the $88 piece is only the sensor but not the air tube. One of the other dealers said the difference between the two parts had to do with California emissions (?!?!?) but quoted me the higher price even though I live in Connecticut. Those responding above say that at least the pricier part includes the air tube. I'm up for the fight but any more proof to give to the dealer would help. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Ok

Call Dave Burnett at Southpoint Nissan 1-888-254-6060. Ask for him specifically.

Ask him to explain to you the differences in part numbers. I just bought a MAF assembly from him for around 80 or 90 bucks. I got a TUBE and the SENSOR.

If I recall, as he explained it to me, there is a revised part number but you never just get the sensor by itself. You always get the tube assembly. He dispelled the myth that there is just a sensor only part number.

If you want I can get a part number off the box I have at home as I have not yet installed the MAF. Waiting until next month to afford new coils and put them both in at the same time.

You will get straight answers from Dave...he is your best bet at information at this point.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Y2k Max Luv
After replacing my MAF with this updated version, my car drives like a million bucks. It's hard keeping it under 100 mph.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:56 AM

[devil's advocate] a lot of these dealers aren't purposely trying to rip you off. they simply do not know that there is an available part for $80. the service manual probably shows the diagnosis and fix. and that fix is a new MAF assembly.

how many 2000-2001 owners have paid the dealer $300 to fix their sunroof that only opened 3" at a time. why? because the Service Manual "fix" is a new motor. it probably doesn't mention disconnecting your battery. when i told my dealer this, they about fell over. [/devil's advocate]

oh, and btw, don't ever go the the freakin' dealer without posting your car issues here 1st.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:03 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
After replacing my MAF with this updated version, my car drives like a million bucks. It's hard keeping it under 100 mph.
I thought the exact same thing. I replaced mine then drove 200 miles to Wisconsin and I don’t think I dropped below 90 mph the whole time. I didn’t think I was speeding though, I-90 means 90 mph right?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You may be able to find a used MAF alone, but Nissan only sells the whole assy. Which includes the MAF, tube and a screen. Nissan's actual name for it is Air Flow Meter. It shouldn't cost more than about $105. The original part number is 22680-AD200. This has since been replaced with an upgraded part. I do not have that part number off hand. All the original part numbers for the 2000-2001's can be found at http://www.nissanx.net/gall/2k2k1oempartslist.

If there's a next time, do it yourself. It takes practically no time at all if you only replace the MAF. Do yourself a favor, pick up a factory service manual. It has pretty much everything you need to know. All the error codes and possible problems. It also has a troubleshooting section, which is exactly what the dealer uses, to help find out what the real problem with your car is. Educate yourself and you may save yourself this problem in the future.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:33 AM

that price sounds about right, as far as dealer prices go

i replaced 2 mafs under warranty, and they charged around $450 each time
Old 04-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by kgb006
that price sounds about right, as far as dealer prices go

i replaced 2 mafs under warranty, and they charged around $450 each time
This is the distribution of mis-information. Just because the INVOICE said XXX does not MEAN that its correct diagnosis or solution to his situation. \

This gentlemen has been sold a bill of goods. He paid for XXX and was delivered YYY. If they did not replace the whole assembly, then they should not be charging him for that. Period. That is the context of this post. Did he get what he paid for.....NO!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by schmatt
You may be able to find a used MAF alone, but Nissan only sells the whole assy. Which includes the MAF, tube and a screen. Nissan's actual name for it is Air Flow Meter. It shouldn't cost more than about $105. The original part number is 22680-AD200. This has since been replaced with an upgraded part. I do not have that part number off hand. All the original part numbers for the 2000-2001's can be found at http://www.nissanx.net/gall/2k2k1oempartslist.

If there's a next time, do it yourself. It takes practically no time at all if you only replace the MAF. Do yourself a favor, pick up a factory service manual. It has pretty much everything you need to know. All the error codes and possible problems. It also has a troubleshooting section, which is exactly what the dealer uses, to help find out what the real problem with your car is. Educate yourself and you may save yourself this problem in the future.
You must of missed my post!! The second one!!!

www.jerryromenissan.com
Part Number # 226802Y001

Came out to:

Total Amount: $72.20 USD Shipping: $10.83 USD = Total Amount: $83.03 USD
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM

ANOTHER UPDATE: Well, there's progress with the dealer, but we're still not there yet. He called back and said that his parts buyer found part 22680Y001, that it is an official Nissan part (?!?), and can be used for this repair, although it is not the recommended part for the 2000 Maxima (?!?!?!?!). He still maintains that this part is also the sensor only without the tube or screen, which by now (thank you, all) I know is not the case. He offered to order the part and bring me back in to switch it out with the one they installed. So I'll be credited $457.50 plus tax and charged (I think he said) $108 plus tax. OK, so I'll get a big chunk of the money back but still will not have the complete assembly installed - plus I'll have to drive 40 minutes to return to the dealer. I suppose this is where you can argue the art of compromise and choosing your battles comes in, but I'm still unsettled about it. I needed the dealer for diagnosis (no SES light related to MAF), so I would have been out about $95 for the diagnosis charge anyway, but it's the principle of it all.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by RobertYaz
ANOTHER UPDATE: Well, there's progress with the dealer, but we're still not there yet. He called back and said that his parts buyer found part 22680Y001, that it is an official Nissan part (?!?), and can be used for this repair, although it is not the recommended part for the 2000 Maxima (?!?!?!?!). He still maintains that this part is also the sensor only without the tube or screen, which by now (thank you, all) I know is not the case. He offered to order the part and bring me back in to switch it out with the one they installed. So I'll be credited $457.50 plus tax and charged (I think he said) $108 plus tax. OK, so I'll get a big chunk of the money back but still will not have the complete assembly installed - plus I'll have to drive 40 minutes to return to the dealer. I suppose this is where you can argue the art of compromise and choosing your battles comes in, but I'm still unsettled about it. I needed the dealer for diagnosis (no SES light related to MAF), so I would have been out about $95 for the diagnosis charge anyway, but it's the principle of it all.
Dont forget to call DaveB!!!!!

I am serious...Youll get the whole poop in less than five minutes. AND youll know FOR SURE that the "supposed part" is ok or not for a Maxima.

At least youll get most of your money back.

And why does "he" have to order it? Why dont you get it from DaveB? Then youll know you got the right "chit"?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:04 PM
enthuzed.........

hey guys, i'm still working towards being skilled in the maxima trade....

can someone tell me why is it that a new MAF sensor would improve performance?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:25 PM

because the MAF sensors on our cars are know for phucking up
Old 04-29-2004, 07:33 AM

More News From A Reliable Source

MORE INFO ON THE MAF CONFUSION: I talked to Dave B who told me that the part needed for a 2000 Maxima is in fact 226802Y001 and that interestingly it is also used on the Sentra and includes both the sensor and the tube. Now for more confusion, there are two other part numbers. I didn't have a lot of time to talk to Dave because he was extremely busy, so I'm not totally sure I have the story straight. The original MAF was 22680AD201, which appears on the Jerry-Rome website. Dave B can't even remember how it was packaged but believes the tube was included. There is a sensor-only packaging numbered 22690AD210 that is not prescribed for the Maxima although most dealers have fallen into mass mis-information that it is the recommended MAF for the Maxima. If I'll play devil's advocate, maybe the transposed part numbers (01 and 10) confused them. But there's also big-time potential that dealers know the difference and just offer up the more expensive part.

Oh btw, my SES light is back on. The Zone says another P0430 - the second in two weeks. Back to the dealer, or should I know better by now?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Reported

what is the dealers name that you are going to so everybody in the Southern CT area can keep their distance
Old 04-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

what would be the part number for a 01 SE? the same as the '00.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:13 AM
It's business time.

The cost should remain conistent among dealers. The one the dealer put in was around $110 for the whole tube assembly and sensor.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:45 PM

In response to the above, I think the 2000 and 2001 Maximas, as well as the Sentras, use the same MAF sensor, meter, assembly, whatever. Man, you think I'd be an expert by now!

As for the name of the dealer, I still have to deal with them so I don't want to give them a black eye at this point. I'll add that I called several other local dealers and not one gave me a price quote including the less expensive MAF or the tube over the phone - so maybe Dave B is right and this is ignorance more than deceit. I'll give them credit if they admit to me when they receive the correct part that it has the tube included and they install it at no additional charge. I'll let you know.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:36 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I have had 3 MAFs under warranty put in and I am on my updated TUBE assembly airflow meter right now. Knock on wood (got a spare on in the glove box) the MAF has been good for like a year now ! thats the longest time a MAF has lasted for me. I sold one of my spare AD210 MAFs to Y2K Max Luv here on the forum- does the car now pull like mine Brandon ? or is it still something holding ya back ?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:38 PM
drag racing is for wussies

BTW I am on my 5th MAF, Nissan dealer I used to work at always hooks me up, Best dealer in the midwest is Woodfield Nissan. My car is beyond moded.... every damn warranty has been voided.. oh and I'm at 80K miles so who cares
Old 04-29-2004, 06:15 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I sold one of my spare AD210 MAFs to Y2K Max Luv here on the forum- does the car now pull like mine Brandon ? or is it still something holding ya back ?
It does pull like yours but does not sound as good. Stupid exhaust.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:12 AM

The Final Outcome

HERE'S HOW THE STORY ENDED: I returned the vehicle as agreed with the dealer. The service manager never admitted to me that the MAF ordered included the tube, but replaced the entire assembly without my inquiring further. I got a $375 credit from the orignal bill, so the entire job cost me $255 ($103 for the part, $85 for diagnosis, $42 for installation plus taxes and the infamous miscellaneous expenses). Slap me for not troubleshooting an $80 MAF to begin with before I took it to the dealer. They resolved the matter satifactorily and I'll presume that Dave B is correct that they were simply mistaken about the proper part. The part they supplied was in fact a sensor-only part number, so they didn't lie about that.

So was this a rip-off? The only way to tell is to call this service manager anonimously and ask him how much it would cost to replace an MAF on a 2000 Maxima. If he quotes about $150 to 200, then he learned something about the right part to order and is no longer needlessly overcharging customers. But as I said above, a call to another local dealer quoted me $700 for the job although the service guy I was talking to admitted to know about the $103 MAF assembly. Send me a private reply if you want to know more about this thread.

Oh, and the SES light? Bad cat, to be replaced under the federal 80,000 warranty. So in the last 6 months I've replaced coils, a winshield, rotors, an MAF, and now a cat. Love driving it though!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Holy crap. You should have asked us before you decided to let them fix your MAF.
Its funny how you said that .I been having problem with my MAF for two weeks now and been asking for Dave B # so i can order it from him ,but no one answer me .I was so close to get it done through the dealer and pay $400 for those rip off dealer until i saw this thread.thanks any way to who ever post Dave #.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:34 AM

i just want to make sure so on 00-01 maxima the maf sensor is known to go bad but not the entire assembly right?...i just recently bought a 00 se and want to know what problems to look for beside ignition coils and wrap rotors...
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 AM

This is so confusing for the love of maxima can some one put it in plain English.
There is the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR & AIR FLOW METER.
Part# for the Air Folw Meter 22680AD201 $414.96

part# for the Mass air folw 226802Y001 $88.04

They both were under the name of Mass air folw ,but witch one is the MAF. And why one is $400 and the other one $88 .Thats huge dif in $$$?Are they the same or what?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by custommaximaSE
This is so confusing for the love of maxima can some one put it in plain English.
There is the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR & AIR FLOW METER.
Part# for the Air Folw Meter 22680AD201 $414.96
part# for the Mass air folw 226802Y001 $88.04

They both were under the name of Mass air folw ,but witch one is the MAF. And why one is $400 and the other one $88 .Thats huge dif in $$$?Are they the same or what?
The 226802Y001 is the one you need. It has the sensor and the tube. The terms sensor and meter are interchangeable. I asked one of the on-line dealers why there was such a huge difference in prices, but didn't get a perfect answer. He said the $400 part is the original and they keep it on file as a historical record and for warranty work. This begs other questions, but his tone of voice lacked certainty. I do not know if the differing part numbers contain the exact same sensor or whether the cheaper one is new and improved. But that dealer said the cheaper one is "the one you want" and it's the one in my Max.