5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The Fuel-cut TSB is HERE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 07:38 PM

I had the TSB done today.

The sheet said Warranty work, $31. It took 90 mins. (with oil change)
They didn't even have the curtesy to check my tire pressure.
They were curious as to how I knew of the TSB.
I reminded them that I complained of the 1st gear bucking a year ago.

Can't say yet if it works.
Old 04-20-2001, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by martinf
I had the TSB done today.

They were curious as to how I knew of the TSB.
A lot of dealership service departments live in a state of blissful ignorance. Few of them seem to know what the Internet is, let alone use it. And they have no clue how much forums like ours level the playing field.

Used properly, the Internet is the consumer's best friend.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:32 AM

Had the ECU upgrade done yesterday to correct the false emissions flag I got previously.

I haven't driven too much with the new program, but just from the initial 40-50 miles.. I am much happier with the high end engine shift.. it feels more responsive.

I have yet to be stuck in bumper to bumper LI traffic to check the low end response.. but I am a bit happier over all. Plus no more false service engine soon lights

As a side note I had the ticking blower moter.. and they installed a new one for me instead of the cover. Their experience was that the ticking would get louder with time and eventually overpower the dampening of the foam "band-aid".

- Bryan
Old 04-21-2001, 08:04 AM

TSB in Canada ...

Ok .. I went in 2day 2 get the work done ... it's not applicable in Canada yet ...

He said that it could b:

1. Not enuff complaints in Canada ... thus not applicable
2. It just takes a lot longer 2 get things going here ...

I'm going 2 call Nissan Canada next week & c what's up!
Old 04-21-2001, 08:10 AM

Re: TSB in Canada ...

Originally posted by ohboiya
Ok .. I went in 2day 2 get the work done ... it's not applicable in Canada yet ...

He said that it could b:

2. It just takes a lot longer 2 get things going here ...

I'm going 2 call Nissan Canada next week & c what's up!
Gd lk
Old 04-21-2001, 08:14 AM

Maybe you have better drivers!
Old 04-21-2001, 09:53 AM

trust me ...

no ... whenever I drive thru the US ... I'm always amazed @ how disciplined drivers r ... they respect the passing lanes ... actually stick 2 the posted speed limits ... of course ... this is on the major interstates .. I don't know what drivers r like in the cities ...

Originally posted by Green 2kSE

Maybe you have better drivers!
Old 05-07-2001, 10:45 PM

Do you have to get this fix under warranty, or will it be covered if your warrenty is expired?
Old 05-07-2001, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by blackmax2000
Do you have to get this fix under warranty, or will it be covered if your warrenty is expired?
Check with your dealer, blackmax2000. Even if your warranty has expired, it shouldn't be that expensive. After all, you're not replacing any parts. You're just having your ECM reprogrammed. Shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours max!
Old 05-08-2001, 05:21 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: trust me ...

no ... whenever I drive thru the US ... I'm always amazed @ how disciplined drivers r ... they respect the passing lanes ... actually stick 2 the posted speed limits ... of course ... this is on the major interstates .. I don't know what drivers r like in the cities ...
LOL! if you think US drivers are diciplined I hate to see what your drivers are like. Maybe you would feel at home in Cincinnati where today I say two people fighting for a spot on the highway and take each other out because neither was going to back down. Its stop and go traffic for crying out loud!
Old 05-08-2001, 09:36 AM

It should only take .5 hour(s)

and if you have complained in the past of this you have a "history" and they will probably take care of you, and Nissan NA will probably "help" if the dealer doesn't

Mark
Old 05-08-2001, 10:26 AM

Re: It should only take .5 hour(s)

Originally posted by opimax
and if you have complained in the past of this you have a "history" and they will probably take care of you, and Nissan NA will probably "help" if the dealer doesn't

Mark
Actually Mark is correct. It shouldn't take more than .5 hour(s). But the pure fact is, Nissan allows at least an hour for the operation. And much depends on the experience of the tech. For example, the first time I had the reprogramming applied it didn't take. That's because the ECM has to be reset before it's reprogrammed. That little tidbit of information is missing from the TSB. If the tech has reprogrammed other Maximas under the TSB, he'll probably know what to do. If not, you may have to take it back for a second reprogramming.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:41 AM
David Shankie

Originally posted by freeze00
what about us canadians. I hope nissan of canada will be informed about this problem and proceed accordingly. Let me know if anyone up north has contacted their dealer, and what they said or know about this. Thanks. Freeze00
Hello fellow Canadians. I immediately noticed the surging soon after receiving my 2001 SE manual trans. It was returned to the dealer and they found nothing on their computer checks. I then found this site with the reference to TSB 18. I made the dealer aware of this TSB but he immediately discounted it because it was a US web site for US Maximas and it had nothing to do with my Canadian Max. I tried once more with the same result. Finally I E-mailed the service manager this web site, encouraged him to review it, and demanded that the dealership and Nissan Canada try this TSB. The next time I went to the dealer they were prepared to do the reprogramming.
I am pleased to say that the reprogramming has virtually eliminated the surging. My Max is now driveable. The dealer was appreciative and said he would inform all the necessary parties of the result.
Don't give up! Great car Heh!

Old 08-25-2001, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by David Shankie
Hello fellow Canadians. I immediately noticed the surging soon after receiving my 2001 SE manual trans. It was returned to the dealer and they found nothing on their computer checks. I then found this site with the reference to TSB 18. I made the dealer aware of this TSB but he immediately discounted it because it was a US web site for US Maximas and it had nothing to do with my Canadian Max. I tried once more with the same result. Finally I E-mailed the service manager this web site, encouraged him to review it, and demanded that the dealership and Nissan Canada try this TSB. The next time I went to the dealer they were prepared to do the reprogramming.
I am pleased to say that the reprogramming has virtually eliminated the surging. My Max is now driveable. The dealer was appreciative and said he would inform all the necessary parties of the result.
Good for you, David. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the resources provided by the Maxima.org forums in getting your problem resolved. As far as I'm concerned, your story underscores the real value of these forums.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:45 AM

Hey David,

Which dealership did you go to?

I'm in Toronto, ON

Originally posted by David Shankie
Old 08-26-2001, 09:20 AM
Loki

Re: Comments and acknowledgments . . .

Yes, this Full Cut problem is significantly reduced by the re-programming of the ECM. Both my wife and I were seriously unhappy with all the "jerking around" at low revs in first gear. Our dealer here in Canada said, "Drive it and the problem should disappear." Well it didn't! I copied the TSB and took a copy to the dealer..."That's an American TSB, you have a Canadian vehicle." I contacted Nissan Canada...same message, "Your vehicle is Canadian emissions certified; doesn't apply to your vehicle. Hmm, said I...the emissions certification label indicates California!

I kept pressing for resolution and finally the service manager (who was a bit annoyed that I had contacted Nissan Canada to complain - which of course was referred back to the dealer - and that I had information they new nothing about) agreed to have the car in to check the ECM programme. Well, guess what...the tech hooked up the computer programming unit with the ECM programing module card and lo and behold there was an update for my ECM, and it had exactly the part number noted in the TSB.

We have noticed NO adverse consequences of the ECM re-programming and that nasty jerking is MUCH reduced. Perhaps still a tiny bit twitchy, but we're both happy. After 22 years of automatics (Pontiac Lemans - yucch; Mazda MPV - not bad for a family van) it is a joy to get back to car you can actually DRIVE! Takes us back to our 1972 BMW 2002...and our friend with a BMW 325i loves the SE 20th Anniversary!

Old 01-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Larrfry

Re: Fuel Cut Described in Detail

I'm just curious, having read your post, when does the idle control VALVE ever close? Seems it never does.

Originally posted by Bigk200
The 2K Maxima is designed to accelerate aggressively with only a slight movement of the gas pedal. The way that Nissan achieves this is by simultaneously dumping a huge amount of auxiliary air into the engine via the idle control valve. Nissan Engineers probably did this to “wind up” the automatic transmission torque converter as quickly as possible in order to make the car very quick off the line.

The aggressiveness of this air dump is VERY new to the 2000 Maxima design. In fact, the entire intake system (including the idle control valve) is different from the 1999 model. In addition, the ECM was redesigned for year 2000.

The large amount of air that is dumped into the engine via the idle control valve is not a huge problem at first, except that it’s possible to run over a pedestrian. However, the extra air ends up being a problem when slowing down because the idle control valve is not subsequently closed as the gas pedal is released.

The “fuel-cut” scenario goes like this:

The driver steps on the gas to accelerate, and the idle control valve opens to assist with the acceleration. The increased voltage on the TPS (throttle position sensor) provides an “advance notice” to the computer to expect additional air. This expected additional air is then matched with additional fuel from the injectors. The computer then watches the mass air flow sensor signal to verify that the additional air really did arrive, and if a major discrepancy is detected between the TPS signal and the mass air flow sensor, the check engine light will be illuminated. Ultimately, the mass air flow sensor (and exhaust sensors to some extent) have final control over the amount of fuel that is injected into the engine. The TPS only provides “advance warning” to the computer and does not ultimately control this process.

And so, after the engine has accelerated and the car is traveling at some higher speed, the driver will eventually want to slow down. The most obvious way to do this is to just ease off the gas pedal. However, as the driver attempts to deprive the engine of air by releasing the gas pedal, the engine continues to acquire large quantities of air from the idle control valve. (Remember... I said earlier that the idle control valve remains open even as the gas pedal is released). Because the mass air flow sensor has the final say in how much fuel is injected into the engine, and because the engine continues to receive air through the idle control valve, the engine continues to produce more power than is desired. Finally, when the gas pedal reaches the end of its travel, the TPS outputs a “throttle closed” voltage and the computer subsequently cuts fuel. This is the “fuel-cut” phenomenon that so many have complained about.

Thus, the engine cycles from producing a fairly significant amount of power to producing NEGATIVE power in the fuel-cut mode. The word “negative” is used because the engine is compression braking during the “fuel-cut” mode. There is no in-between... it either produces too much power or negative power.

And now back to the sequence off events:

While the “fuel-cut” condition is in effect, the engine provides maximum compression braking. It is also operating at maximum vacuum... which means that it is sucking as much air as possible through the idle control valve. However, as long as the TPS is outputing a “throttle closed” position, the “fuel-cut” mode remains in effect.

If at some point during the “fuel-cut” mode the driver decides to speed up, the TPS will subsequently stop outputting the “throttle closed” voltage and the computer will begin providing fuel to the engine. Because the idle control valve has remained open during the entire “fuel-cut” period, and because the mass air flow sensor has continued to see air flowing into the engine, the computer calls for a large amount of fuel to match the air that is flowing into the engine. Thus, the car will get a much more robust punch of power than was expected. Sometimes this surprising acceleration will cause the driver to quickly let off the gas, only to be subjected to an immediate “fuel-cut” again. Thus, a vicious cycle can occur during low speed driving... lurch (accelerate) forward... hard compression braking... lurch forward... hard compression braking... etc.

Excessive air from the idle control valve is also the cause of rising engine rpm’s between shift changes. A small delay is designed into the ECM prior to issuing a “fuel-cut”, and as the engine continues to acquire air through the idle control valve during shifts, the computer matches this air with fuel. Thus, the unloaded engine rpm’s will float up about 400-500 rpm during each shift change.

And so, the engine cycles continually between too much power and too little power with no ability to feather the throttle up and down at minimal outputs of power. This cycle repeats itself over and over and over and over again... until the driver is stark raving crazy. To further enhance the drivers emotional torture, Nissan Engineers and zone reps routinely tell owners (with a straight face) that the car is perfect and “it is all in the drivers head”.

The “fuel-cut” problem manifests itself in several
ways:

1.) An engine that lurches between no power and
too much power while operating with cruise control.

2.) An uncontrollable throttle on 5-speed models,
making the car lurch badly at low speeds and
annoyingly at higher speeds.

3.) Rising engine rpm’s between shifts on the
5-speed models.

4.) Unsafe/uncontrollable accelerations when
starting out, which can cause a collision with
another vehicle, or possibly with a pedestrian.

For those who want to argue that this is normal, and was done because of emissions, let me point out that emissions laws are the same for year 1999 and 2000. This driveability problem has only surfaced with the 2000 model. Furthermore, other manufacturers have not resorted to such high flows of air and fuel to achieve compliance with emissions laws (except maybe Ford, but I used to believe that Nissan was better than Ford), so why should the Maxima be unique in that regard?

Also, for those who want to argue that only a few Maximas have the “fuel-cut” problem, and it must be due to a faulty component, I would have to disagree. I have yet to find a 2000 Maxima that passes the stationary test (trying to ease rpm’s from 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm). They all fail this test (both 5-speeds and automatics) because of the idle control valve. The only real difference from one car to the next is the driver. Some slight differences probably exist from car to car, but the biggest variable has to be the driver.

For those who think there must be a faulty component, then here is a list of the candidates: Idle Control Valve, Throttle Position Sensor, Absolute Pressure Sensor, Front and Rear Oxygen sensor, VIAS system, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Coolant temperature Sensor, EGR system, and EVAP system. Go ahead and check them all out, but you will find all of them to be in good working order. It is the ECM's control of the idle control valve that is the REAL problem.

In summary, the 2K Maxima engine has been optimized for the automatic transmission with little or no thought given to its compatibility with a manual transmission. The 2K Maxima 5-speed needs to have its own engine control software rather than shared software with the automatic models. The idle control valve needs to be closed as the gas pedal is released. Furthermore, the idle control valve does not need to be opened so severely when accelerating from idle speed.

Old 01-23-2002, 03:38 PM

Re: Re: Fuel Cut Described in Detail

Originally posted by Larrfry
I'm just curious, having read your post, when does the idle control VALVE ever close? Seems it never does.

The idle valve never closes. I looked at a 2002 model, and I do not believe it has an idle valve at all. It is drive by wire without any mechanical cable between the gas pedal and the intake. I have not had a chance to test drive one.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:19 AM
Larrfry

Re: Re: Re: Fuel Cut Described in Detail

Originally posted by Bigk200

The idle valve never closes. I looked at a 2002 model, and I do not believe it has an idle valve at all. It is drive by wire without any mechanical cable between the gas pedal and the intake. I have not had a chance to test drive one.
Seems curious they call it a "valve". Thanks for your quick response. I haven't had a chance to examine the system (my new/used 2000 Maxima) is only days old, but it would seem this valve could be curcumvented. Any thoughts?

Just so I am clear, what is the latest service bulletin dealing with the problem. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Does anyone know if this fuel-cut problem also exists with the 2002 Maxima, and is there an equivalent TSB for that as well?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:29 PM

I'm starting to shop for 5th Gen 5spds and after reading this thread, I was wondering if there is a permanent or actual fix for this problem?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lucius Maximus
Anybody know where to get the Fuel Cut TSB?, this links isn't available anymore
Old 03-24-2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GregP
Does anyone know if this fuel-cut problem also exists with the 2002 Maxima, and is there an equivalent TSB for that as well?
I'm shopping for a 2002 or 2003 six-speed right now to replace my '96. Do the 5.5 gen cars exhibit the same fuel cut behavior that the 2000-2001 cars do?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Treven711
Anybody know where to get the Fuel Cut TSB?, this links isn't available anymore
Maybe this one.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB01-018a.pdf
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM

OK-

My 2000 five-speed cuts out around 3200 rpm-
Like I was backing off the throttle-
Can this be due to the "Fuel-Cut" in this thread-
I could feel this when I had the Factory Air Intake-
And now that I have an aftermarket cold air intake-
It is a lot more Noticeable-
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM

i just bought a stick 2000 se and im wondering is this covered by the dealer (cost wise) i have 114k on mines and i didnt purchase it from a dealer
Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by jawwaad05
i just bought a stick 2000 se and im wondering is this covered by the dealer (cost wise) i have 114k on mines and i didnt purchase it from a dealer

I'm sure they will cover it for whatever labor charges that apply to the procedeure. Your car is way out of warranty so you don't get any TSBs done without cost to you.