5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Negotiating With Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Negotiating With Dealers

Have anyone done this?

I saw a maxima for sale but it's just a little out of my price range... do you think negotiating will work?

Old 10-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Cletus

has anyone negotiated the price of a car

no, you always have to pay what they ask. no one has ever negotiated the price of a car.

go do it. you will be the first. you may start a trend
Old 10-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Cletus

im sorry...couldnt resist

here you go
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ting+car+price

o yeah...i would recommend taking someone else with you
Old 10-19-2004, 06:32 PM

you must know your price and that price must be realistic.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:40 PM

lol.. well as i can see it now it is kinda funny.. but i kinda meant it in another way..

u wanna get this 2000 maxima that is sellin' for 11.5k.. i only have around 10k... how lower should i negotiate with the dealership?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:54 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by ZeRo MaX
Negotiating With Dealers

Has anyone done this?

I saw a maxima for sale but it's just a little out of my price range... do you think negotiating will work?
Originally Posted by soonerfan
im sorry...couldnt resist

here you go
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ting+car+price

o yeah...i would recommend taking someone else with you
boy you got

Old 10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure, but I'd think of starting around 9000-9500 and work your way to 10K or maybe even less.... usually works pretty well... esp if they wanna get rid of the car... just be firm and be sure of what you want in terms of options, mileage, condition, etc...
Old 10-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Yeah, do your homework well. Know the market cost, trade-in cost, and other pricings in the area for that model. The more you know or even show that you know, you have an advantage and an intimidation over the dealer. I prefer to go to edmunds.com and kbb.com for pricing on used. Also check autotrader.com for a "market rate".

I've noticed people like Sooner have nothing better to do than make fun of other people's post. It makes them feel "superior" I guess...insecurity issues.

Anyhow, hope the buy goes well. I myself bought my 2000 SE for $11,900 about 15 months ago.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:15 PM

Zero max,
more info regarding the car u looking at would help....but take my for instance....i bought my 00 Se fully loaded with 44k for $10500 back in May...so i don't see why u can't get yours for around 10k...
Old 10-19-2004, 08:25 PM

And in general, whoever's putting out the cash is always right.... and them dealers know this... if the deal isn't right, you can always walk out...
Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 PM

Carsdirect.Com

Buy from a private owner
Old 10-19-2004, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
Carsdirect.Com

Buy from a private owner
haha... never thought of that....
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 PM

thanx everyone.. i'm gonna check out all this stuff.. hopefully it helps!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:26 PM

i want a good deal like that man! 10.5k for a nice 2000 with all options!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grey00lustre
Zero max,
more info regarding the car u looking at would help....but take my for instance....i bought my 00 Se fully loaded with 44k for $10500 back in May...so i don't see why u can't get yours for around 10k...
good deal! low milage and all!

tryin' to look for same deal... but i'll accept up to 65k miles on a 2000...
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Komax

I've noticed people like Sooner have nothing better to do than make fun of other people's post. It makes them feel "superior" I guess...insecurity issues.

Anyhow, hope the buy goes well. I myself bought my 2000 SE for $11,900 about 15 months ago.
lol it's okay though... i made a mistake... tryin' to type all fast and didn't get to finish what i really meant... but he did JUMP the gun to shoot me down

oh well... Komax is probably right... they are
Old 10-20-2004, 08:33 AM

Do your homework, and print it out. Dealers usually use Kelley Blue Book to determine values. You can find them at kbb.com. Also, look at the paper to see what other Max's like the one you are looking at are selling for. Also, be mindful that you add taxes to cost, so you really want to be closer to 9K on price since for that cost of car you will have about $1000 in taxes. Go in there with some time on your hands also. You may be there for a while. If you want to be a punk with them, pretend to call another dealership on a similar car. If the car is used, start really low. They may have raped someone to get the car. They also may have told them they couldn't pay alot for their car since it was 4 years old and had miles on it, and all that poo poo. If they insult your intelligence more than once, leave. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
And in general, whoever's putting out the cash is always right.... and them dealers know this... if the deal isn't right, you can always walk out...
yeah. what puppetmaster said...

when i bought my max, i walked out of four dealers before i found one at a price i liked.
all four dealers called me back the next day. don't be afraid to walk out. the dealer's worst fear is that you will go somewhere else and get a deal that they could have given you. i haggled three thousand dollars off of the price of my max, plus they gave me four thousand for trade in SIGHT UNSEEN for a black 97 max gxe with 140k.
i called them and told them "this is the car i want, but i'm not even interested in test driving it unless i know that we can work this deal." of course, i did this four times before someone bit...
oh, and the fact that i was looking for a 6 speed helped. i used the angle "not a lot of people can drive this car." i think that helpled a little.
or, maybe this is all crap, and i just got lucky.
one more thing. if you can hold out until december, the dealers will be GIVING them away.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:12 AM

1st step for you is to determine the car's value. Find out exactly what model, mileage and options it has and go on to KBB.com. Look up the dealer retail value on kbb.com for that car then look up a similar car for sale in your zipcode: local classifieds and autotrader.com. Now that you have a pretty good idea how much is the car worth, you are in better position to negotiate. The amt of dealer mark up depends on the age of the car.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 AM

And remember, you are in control of the situation, not the dealer. If you don't like the terms and price they are trying to give you, tell them! If they say they can't come down on the price, then tell them it's too bad, cause you are ready to buy, and get up and start to walk out. I can't tell you how many times I have done that, and got to the door, only to have them call me back, and then really start working with me.
Also, never, NEVER say to the salesman or anyone else at the dealership during the negotiation, that you really love the car, that it is just what you were looking for. Your best approach is to act like the car is not your "must have, first choice". Act like you are considering a different brand, honda, infiniti, etc, as well, and if the price isn't right, you will go buy something else, somewhere else. I have found that the longer they keep you negotiating, the more they hope to wear you down. So, after one hour, if they haven't got you the price you want, the terms (interest rate, loan term,etc) then you may have to pull the plug, and move on (or at least start to). Good luck!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:06 AM

True story. I negotiated a price $400 over invoice for a 2k SE which was 26K. Before I did this, I wrote the customer serivce rep (a VP) in Los Angeles and asked if Nissan would give me $500 purchase incentive to buy a new maxima. He said sure, just sent the reciept to him and he'll mail me the check. I did and they did, so I got the car for $100 below invoice. The sticker was $29k and I paid $25.9k.
Never hurts to ask.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
I Miss My Maxima

My rules for buying a car, as a former salesman:

1. Know the MOST you are willing to pay for your chosen ride.
2. Know the LEAST you will accept for your trade-in if you have one.

When you go into the office to start the paperwork/pricing game, state up front the price (#1) you will pay and the amount (#2) you want for your trade-in.

He will take it to his manager, who will give you an offer.

Get this offer. If the manager agrees, great. Enjoy your new ride. He probably will not, and will hit you with a counter offer.

Take this counter offer and shop it to other dealerships. If you can get two of them in a bidding war with each other this is good.

That's how my parents just got an 05 ES330 loaded out w/nav for $27k after trade-in from a sticker of $39k -- i told them not to take less than $8500 for their 00 TL and to offer $35.5k for the new car. The two local Lexus dealers promptly got into a pissing contest with each other over who could give my folks the better deal. BTW, the winning dealer (Sewell Lexus) gave them $9,500 for the trade and $3,500 off the new Lex + threw in window tint and an extra key.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by paralyse
My rules for buying a car, as a former salesman:

1. Know the MOST you are willing to pay for your chosen ride.
2. Know the LEAST you will accept for your trade-in if you have one.

When you go into the office to start the paperwork/pricing game, state up front the price (#1) you will pay and the amount (#2) you want for your trade-in.

He will take it to his manager, who will give you an offer.

Get this offer. If the manager agrees, great. Enjoy your new ride. He probably will not, and will hit you with a counter offer.

Take this counter offer and shop it to other dealerships. If you can get two of them in a bidding war with each other this is good.

That's how my parents just got an 05 ES330 loaded out w/nav for $27k after trade-in from a sticker of $39k -- i told them not to take less than $8500 for their 00 TL and to offer $35.5k for the new car. The two local Lexus dealers promptly got into a pissing contest with each other over who could give my folks the better deal. BTW, the winning dealer (Sewell Lexus) gave them $9,500 for the trade and $3,500 off the new Lex + threw in window tint and an extra key.
Dude, that's awesome. I know car salesman are people too but the dealerships want to rape you. So I love hearing good stories like that where you make a good deal. BTW, edmunds.com has a short story about an under-cover writer who worked as a carsalesman. It's REALLY interesting to read. Helps you understand the inner-workings of dealerships.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Reported

try your best to not mention a trade-in until the dealer has lowered his asking price. only THEN should u mention u have a car to trade. I know its hard to do that but its worth a shot.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Komax
well you are a newbie so you havent seen how much i contribute. you will see.
i know how to fix stuff on our cars that you dont even know is there.

and im not starting anything...im joking..people need to stop getting their feeling hurt by someone on the internet
and for the record i helped him answer the question in the very next post.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:40 AM

ok...i actually sold cars for a little bit and know quite a lot about buying and selling cars...

you can always negotiate a price, now the markiet value and always have a good reason why you want to pay the price you want to pay!!! show that you are serious about the purchase and be prepared to take the car home the same day, THEY LOVE THAT. get the sales man as exited about the sale as you are about getting a new car, beleive me they make a sh.t load of money on you! on a used car expect that they paid about 15-20% less than what they are asking for it. if they want 12 for a 00 max they paid about 9 for it!

if you want to go further tell them that you will likely finance the car, even if you wont, that will make them even more $$$. try to speak with a young sales person, they are generaly nicer and better to negotiate with than old school guys. be confident and dont let them BS you with charges like prepm and delivery its all CRAP!!!

i f'n love the car bussiness!!!!