5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HP Autoworks Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by Jon610
Aight i got mine in today and installed. Well where to start. Dont get me wrong guys it does its job but man my a$s hurts after that raping on the price. I saw that box and thought that it had to be filled with gold to cost that much. I know i know that it takes alot of research to work this out but d@mn there is maybe $4 worth of metal there. Thanks again for the work guys but if i had it to do over again i think i would hold off and see what else comes in the future because someone will take this idea and run, i see this on ebay for 25 bucks in the future like the knockoff injen intake is now. but hey thats just my 2cents!
Seems a bit expensive, sure, but the other current choice is the TWM one for $194.57. Unless the TWM one is significantly better (which I doubt) I think we all got a good deal.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by company man
I know how you feel. I feel the same way. After I've invested almost 1/2 million dollars in equipment and a good 50 thousand dollars in cad and cam software. The years I've invested to learn all this stuff. And then make 40 Maxima Short Shifters. I can see I'm really gonna get rich on this.

Why do you think nobody else stepped up to the plate for you.
I feel ya, what i was saying is that i hate that in about 2 months there will be about 10 different ones on ebay for around 20 dollars, now that this is out and about.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Aight i got mine in today and installed. Well where to start. Dont get me wrong guys it does its job but man my a$s hurts after that raping on the price. I saw that box and thought that it had to be filled with gold to cost that much. I know i know that it takes alot of research to work this out but d@mn there is maybe $4 worth of metal there. Thanks again for the work guys but if i had it to do over again i think i would hold off and see what else comes in the future because someone will take this idea and run, i see this on ebay for 25 bucks in the future like the knockoff injen intake is now. but hey thats just my 2cents!
you could always sell it... i'm sure someone else here on the org would be more than willing to pay you back the money you spent...

also, ever hear that saying "you get what you pay for"?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

I feel ya, what i was saying is that i hate that in about 2 months there will be about 10 different ones on ebay for around 20 dollars, now that this is out and about.
There will probably be some cheaper look-alike ones out at some point, but I'm sure they will be made of an inferior material and probably not machined nearly as well.

I look at it this way, I got one of the first 30 ever made for a Maxima.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:14 PM

Received mine today as well, too bad I wont be able to test it out for a few months Thanks for a job well done.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:17 PM

i got mine in and installed it in under 5 minutes

is that a record???

i am more then satisfied with the product, it looks awesome and does its job, I also have no problems with being the first bunch of people ot get these,

I am sure people will make knockoffs that will do the job for much less.

One thins is for sure, we asked and HP Autoworks delivered as promised and in a timely manner.

Kuddos go out to you guys!!!
I am a satisfied customer
Old 12-13-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
There will probably be some cheaper look-alike ones out at some point, but I'm sure they will be made of an inferior material and probably not machined nearly as well.

I look at it this way, I got one of the first 30 ever made for a Maxima.

it feels good to say that doesn't it?

--HP AUTO WORKS ---

Thank you.... thank you, thank you, thank you. thank you!

I don't think i can it enough times. I rushed home after stopping to get some lock tite, and installed it. when you said 7 minutes, you were not kidding! i mean it took me 5 mins, and that was in the dark, and drizzling outside.

I makes a huge diffrence... I love it. granted yes, when you get it you say.. "I paid $150 for this?" but the smile on my face makes up for it. the peice looks great, and you can tell it was professionaly made, and time was put into it to ensure proper/easy fitment. I am a happy customer, I don't care what other people say.

so thanks, for making this. thanks for taking a risk. thanks for doing something for that no one else would do in 3 years. and thanks, for making agreat product, and being so personable/helpfull.

BTW, I took high res pics after instalation if anyone wants some. but they were taken in the dark, so bare that in mind.

-Chris
Old 12-13-2004, 06:04 PM

Got mine in the mail and installed it 3 mins later (had to gather up a wrench, and my bike was in the way of the toolchest). It's definitely a noticable difference in the firmness of the shifts, as well as the total throw. It feels alot more like the Z's firmness, of course without the shorter ****.

As for the price, while it seems high for such a small piece of metal, I'd definitely be leary of spending $20-30 on a part that controls such a vital part of my car. I'm not saying that higher dollar equals a better part, but there's something to be said about a cheaper part (which implies cheaper quality) in such a vital area of the car. Afterall, they make cheap tires for the car too, but would you want to put them on YOUR car? I wouldn't. In my case, I'm willing to pay a little more for a far superior product.

As for the installation, it was 4 minutes tops. And I even took my time because my engine was warm. If I had the stock airbox, it would have taken longer, but with my PR CAI, it was readily accessible without removing anything.

HP Autoworks... thanks for stepping up to the plate on this one. There are those of us who enjoy taking a car and transforming it into our own... even if there are better cars out there to transform. And as for myself, I am a satisfied customer.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:01 PM

I'm not a mechanical engieer and I hope I'm not asking to share your secrets but from the installation pics it seems the tanny's shifting cable gets mounted in the same lil post as b/f the installation and with the stock shifter rod and everything else staying in the same position, how is the STS able to make the cable travel the same distance with shorter throws from up top?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:08 PM

HP:

I live in the same area as Jeepik and I have not recieved mine! Can you please provide me with a tracking number?

Thank you
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 PM

Hey. Question. Ok you said not to tighten the bolt too tight but i have a small tendency to overtighten things cause i'm a big guy. I'm not trying to brag here. But i tighenede it up a bit and the bolt still sticks out is this ok? or is the bolt supposed to be flush with the part?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:28 PM

Got my STS in the mail today. Rushed home after work to install it. Less than 5 minutes later the thing was installed and I took it out for a spin. The shifts are noticably shorter. It appears that 1st, 3rd and 5th still engage around the same spot, but 2nd, 4th and 6th engage more towards the middle of the console than before. I can definately row through the gears faster and I know this will improve my happiness with driving the car.

Thanks HP for stepping to the plate as quick as you did. Hopefully the Maxima community proved that we will step up to the plate when a good product is developed. Hopefully that will lead to many more products in the future.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ypl102
I'm not a mechanical engieer and I hope I'm not asking to share your secrets but from the installation pics it seems the tanny's shifting cable gets mounted in the same lil post as b/f the installation and with the stock shifter rod and everything else staying in the same position, how is the STS able to make the cable travel the same distance with shorter throws from up top?
The shifter cable does NOT get attached to the same post. It get's re-positioned onto a post that is part of the STS.

Look at the pics again and you should see what I mean.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
2-Wheelin it...

also installed mine.
personally don't see how it shortens throw...kinda staring at the science of it and not really catching on, but it does feel shorter, so whatever.
now, many of you say you feel it stiffer. now imagine me, with the ES shifter bushings. thing feels rock solid. too rock solid possibly? i dunno. we'll see. kinda feels like a gated shifter. well, won't know till tomorow as it is 11:30pm and i just put it on. i'll test it out on the way to work.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Hey. Question. Ok you said not to tighten the bolt too tight but i have a small tendency to overtighten things cause i'm a big guy. I'm not trying to brag here. But i tighenede it up a bit and the bolt still sticks out is this ok? or is the bolt supposed to be flush with the part?
It's normal for it to stick out a bit. You're fine.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
Got my STS in the mail today. Rushed home after work to install it. Less than 5 minutes later the thing was installed and I took it out for a spin. The shifts are noticably shorter. It appears that 1st, 3rd and 5th still engage around the same spot, but 2nd, 4th and 6th engage more towards the middle of the console than before.
1st, 3rd and 5th actually engage a little further up - i'm guessing less than 1/4 inch closer to the lighter - i can tell cuz the shifter almost touches my radar detector's cig lighter power cord, whereas before, it didn't. No big deal at all.

2nd, 4th and 6th are definitely closer to where neutral used to be...

that was the only thing the fabricator didn't like too much... but we decided that it was a minor issue....
Old 12-13-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by PoLo
also installed mine.
personally don't see how it shortens throw...kinda staring at the science of it and not really catching on, but it does feel shorter, so whatever.
now, many of you say you feel it stiffer. now imagine me, with the ES shifter bushings. thing feels rock solid. too rock solid possibly? i dunno. we'll see. kinda feels like a gated shifter. well, won't know till tomorow as it is 11:30pm and i just put it on. i'll test it out on the way to work.
marco, it just moves the pivot point.... can't wait till brian get's those bushings in from ES... i wanna see if mine will be rock solid too...
Old 12-13-2004, 08:36 PM

sweeeeeeet.... i like it.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
marco, it just moves the pivot point.... can't wait till brian get's those bushings in from ES... i wanna see if mine will be rock solid too...

what bushings? did i miss something?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:44 PM
2-Wheelin it...

um yeah, energy suspension is releasing a whole new suspension bushing kit for our cars. motor mounts, shifter bushings (02-03 only), control arm, trailing arm, c-brace, etc....

only reason i already have most of them was cause i started the project, and got a set for the help i provided. i already have the shifter bushings on and it's stiff as hell....
Old 12-13-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
what bushings? did i miss something?
lol... where have you been? better check out the group deal that cattman's offering before it ends on 12/31...
Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911
HP:

I live in the same area as Jeepik and I have not recieved mine! Can you please provide me with a tracking number?

Thank you
i believe HP sent them through the US Mail... there's no tracking info....
Old 12-13-2004, 09:25 PM

um yeah, energy suspension is releasing a whole new suspension bushing kit for our cars. motor mounts, shifter bushings (02-03 only), control arm, trailing arm, c-brace, etc....

only reason i already have most of them was cause i started the project, and got a set for the help i provided. i already have the shifter bushings on and it's stiff as hell....

do you have a link.... I can not seem to be able to find it. thanks for the info, i will look into it. I am not sure what they do, or why they are so special, but i am sure that is explained in the thread.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:01 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Im glad you people are enjoying them. I told you guys that it was nice.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
do you have a link.... I can not seem to be able to find it. thanks for the info, i will look into it. I am not sure what they do, or why they are so special, but i am sure that is explained in the thread.
here you go...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=360725
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 PM

Got home, installed it, realized I didn't have locktite, went to home depot, locktite'ed it in the parking lot. Got bored so I took pics of before and after of shifter positions.

Best part. I have photoshop.

Again, thank you HP for doing this, I love it. It feels not natural because the throw is shorter. But it's great!

Old 12-13-2004, 11:05 PM

THANKS TO EVERYONE. You guys are a great bunch of car enthusiasts and I thank you once again for the support. I appreciate you guys trusting us in this STS. I forget the name of the person that first approached us but you have him to thank just as much as our fabricator. We are confident that the STS will outlive your car and will make driving much more enjoyable, even for those that are not performance oriented. As I mentioned before, install would be a breeze........funny how you all timed yourself. Maybe I should have held a contest (haha).

As mentioned to PhxBlue, we plan to bring more to the table so please contact us for anything you guys may need. In the meantime, enjoy the STS and less shifting.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911
HP:

Thank you
If you didnt get it today, I am sure that you will get it tomorrow. You have the postal man to blame on this one. JK. But seriously, you will get it tomorrow, its probably sitting at the post office w/ the clerk staring at it cause he as a Maxima also.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Just got home from work, checked my mailbox and it was there!!! I can't wait until tomorrow to install it. Thanks HP and to everyone else who made this possible.

Oh btw price was just fine. It is well worth the money for finally being able to have a STS.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eleebob7
Got home, installed it, realized I didn't have locktite, went to home depot, locktite'ed it in the parking lot. Got bored so I took pics of before and after of shifter positions.

Best part. I have photoshop.

Again, thank you HP for doing this, I love it. It feels not natural because the throw is shorter. But it's great!

This is a very helpful picture, thanks.

hp, have you sent out the one to Hawaii yet?

Thanks a ton,
Old 12-13-2004, 11:49 PM

All orders left today also.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by hpautoworks
All orders left today also.
Does that include the one I made this weekend?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:49 AM

Now I can't wait till it get's here today lol
Old 12-14-2004, 05:01 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Ok, now I have what may be a dumb question, but will it harm the tranny or anything because the shifter is now tighter? With the stock throw, there was some play in the shifter when it was in gear. In fact you could see it move a bit when you accelerated. With the new mod, there is no play. Does this put any strain on the tranny or gearing?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:35 AM

I have my mounts and shifter bushings on order. I would like to hear more about the feel of the tranny with the sts an bushings.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:10 AM
2-Wheelin it...

you wanna hear...you're about to hear it....i'm about to sound like a newb who just got his first mod, superwhite corners

just got into work, which is only about 5 miles away, but i have to get on the expressway for at last 3 miles. the first thing i realized is that yes, this does shorten the throw a significant amount. i noticed 2 significant points of benefit.

first, when i was going from 1-2-3 shift, previously, i would once in a blue grind because of impatience. i would have let go of the clutch before reaching 2 and i would grind. same thing would go for my 2-3 shift. my impatience would get the better of me, and i would miscalculate and grind my 2-3. now, i don' even see myself grinding. before i can even begin to let go of hte clutch i'm already in gear. this is a big thing, as now the car just grabs a lot quicker and i do feel the lunge. i'm assumign that has to do more of the fact that i'm at a higher rpm's, and i'll get used to the new setup and lessen my accelerator pedal movement.
2nd big are i noticed was when i did my 3-4 shift. i didn't have to move my hand. with the tips of my fingers, i pushed it down to 4 and it clicked in w/out having to move my hand. when i saw that, i was VERY happy.

sorry to say, but i like it...i like it a lot...i'm comfortable, and although the STS w/ES bushings may feel rough, it's something that feels STRONG IMO. go HP.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:41 AM

I am right there with you on this. THe shifts are much shorter and I know that this mod will improve track times. I have found that it is easier to spin second now since the RPMs are higher from the shorter shift. So far I will say that this is the best mod that I have done since adding the 19's and stereo.

It also seems to have taken out alot of the play that used to exist. I am no longer able to move the shifter around while it is in gear.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
I am right there with you on this. THe shifts are much shorter and I know that this mod will improve track times. I have found that it is easier to spin second now since the RPMs are higher from the shorter shift. So far I will say that this is the best mod that I have done since adding the 19's and stereo.

It also seems to have taken out alot of the play that used to exist. I am no longer able to move the shifter around while it is in gear.

do you often move the shifter around while it is in gear? I feel bad for your sncros if you do... lol.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 AM

i agree with Polo, it no longer has to be pushed into gears, it just clicks in like a gated shifter

also the shifter is much firmer, I am very happy, although if we could shorten the 1,3,5 shift it would be even better but i aint complaining
Old 12-14-2004, 11:45 AM

All I have to say is holy hot damn......HP this product is freaking awesome. It took me not even 5 minutes to install and then I was just flying through the gears. I am very very impressed. Thanks for the awesome product and the group deal.
-Sean

Quick Reply: HP Autoworks Short Shifter