5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how do i deal with my dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:02 AM

how do i deal with my dealer?

I have been having some tranny issues and my dealer says that it's normal for the tranny to do that..he says its the characteristic of the tranny to do so..
Background: My tranny makes a chirping noise when shifting from 2nd the 3rd gear. I have had it in for service twice for this issue and both the times they replaced 1liter of the tranny fluid with some smooth shifting oil...but the problem is that they dont why this is happening.and the second time they wanted me to pay them $120CDN for the additive!!!!

Fast forward today...i called and setup a service appt for next week and when i was describing the problem, the svc mgr says that normal for the tranny to make such noises. Now, i am pi$$ed beyond my limits and want to give them an earful!! but that might result inmy car not being serviced properly...so how can i give it to them...can i ask to see the NIssan area rep to sort this issue out? any suggestions guys.,..i can rip someone's head off at the stealership..BTW...i have extended warranty too
Old 04-30-2005, 11:12 AM

Certainly they are not the only Nissan stealership in Ottawa. Get a 2nd opinion and don't tell them what the first opinion was. Is the transmission still on warranty? If not, take the car to two reputable transmission shops and get their opinion.

I'm not sure what the snake oil is they are using but it sounds like they are feeding you a line of BS to me.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:41 PM

i have only 66,000KM on the car so it has the standard powertrain warranty on it anyway...the point that really ticks me off is that i am not getting the service that i should be getting for a $35,000 + car!!! my honda dealer was much betterin terms of warranty with my 18,000 civic!! i shouldnt have to go to a dealer just to get something fixed in an expensive car!!
sorry..just need to vent it out on someone
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM

anyone who has any suggestions? The other closest dealer is 45 mins away.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:04 PM

Why don't you take the advise of rmurdoch and take it to a reputable tranny shop near you for a second opinion?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Eh take the trip to the other dealer, get there 2nd opinion, if all else fails Nissan North America is extremely **** about there customer service, I was having a prob with a dealership in my area and they sent the regional rep to check out my car and addressed the service problem.
good luck brother!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:18 PM

but see thats the thing..the dealer thinks it's the tranny, but i think it's the engine mounts. I hear the chirping noise as described here:
http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/issues/chirping.wav
(Courtesy fourth rock).
And it makes sense..if you mounts are worn/messed up, it would make that noise when shifting between gears(as the engine rocks bak and forth)..and thats what i hear..a slight chirp when shifting beween 2nd and 3rd.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:25 PM

def cant tell if its a tranny problem if your just revving the engine but the chirp is there when the trannys out of gear, SO IT CANT BE A TRANNY PROBLEM, im not no rocket scientist but you cant have a tranny problem f the noise your complaining about is being made with the tranny being in gear, take a look at the motor mounts and have a friend rev the engine,BE CAREFUL! if the motor mounts are cracked or are visibly worn go down to the local auto shop and pick up a new set, i know there not too expensive, and do em your self, all ya have to do is pop the old out and pop the new in, if the sound is still there, ummmm idk then
good luck brother
Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks man...the issue is that the car is still under warranty and plus i spent an extra 2 grand and got the extended warranty...and it does include motor mounts...i'll give it a shot to see if they fix it..
thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally Posted by bugbite77
def cant tell if its a tranny problem if your just revving the engine but the chirp is there when the trannys out of gear, SO IT CANT BE A TRANNY PROBLEM, im not no rocket scientist but you cant have a tranny problem f the noise your complaining about is being made with the tranny being in gear, take a look at the motor mounts and have a friend rev the engine,BE CAREFUL! if the motor mounts are cracked or are visibly worn go down to the local auto shop and pick up a new set, i know there not too expensive, and do em your self, all ya have to do is pop the old out and pop the new in, if the sound is still there, ummmm idk then
good luck brother
Just a note, when your tranny is out of gear there are alot of parts in the tranny that are still moving. So yes it still could be the tranny.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:46 PM

I remember reading on here awhile back that the mounts for the hood were making a chirping sound and grease fixed the problem. I actuallly have the same issue, but havent addressed it yet. Not to discount that it may be your tranny. Just remember than Nissan is bada**. If you call them and tell them about your issue, they will first look for service bulletins and get someone to at least call you back if there is nothing for your car. Not only do they know their stuff, but their nice too. My car is waaay out of warranty and I still received help. Dealer service departments are there to make money, Nissan is there to make sure you tell your friends about them and buy their cars again.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Regime
Just a note, when your tranny is out of gear there are alot of parts in the tranny that are still moving. So yes it still could be the tranny.
hmm really, hehe shows ya what i know, sry then
Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 AM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally Posted by bugbite77
hmm really, hehe shows ya what i know, sry then
Not a problem at all, That is what the board is here for.

I believe that TSB for the hood "chirp" is for a moving car, when the wind is making the hood flutter. Which wouldn't explain his issue at a stop. But I could be wrong on that.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 AM

my chirp always happen when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:36 PM

ah, okay, ignore my hood comments then. BUT I would definitely call Nissan..