5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nos

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 03:23 PM

for people with nos..

1)how dangerous is it to have it in your trunk daily?

2)what are the times for a automagic nos with 50-100shot?

3)how much did you guys pay? and what system do you prefer?

4)nemods needed for the tranny or engine to protect it? life?

5)how badly does NOS wear down ur tranny and engine?

6)do i need nething so i dont hear a "BOOM!" and next thing i know im in my death bed?

ne comments welcome.

Old 06-12-2001, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
1)how dangerous is it to have it in your trunk daily?
2)what are the times for a automagic nos with 50-100shot?
3)how much did you guys pay? and what system do you prefer?
4)nemods needed for the tranny or engine to protect it? life?
5)how badly does NOS wear down ur tranny and engine?
6)do i need nething so i dont hear a "BOOM!" and next thing i know im in my death bed?
1) If you live wear its hot take it out during the day, while your parked.
2) It depends on the other mods, but on a stocker High 14's to low 14's
3) You can get the basic 40-60hp NOS system from JC Whitney for ~400. To go higher gauges and other options are recomended. I spent ~1200 to get to a 100hp shot but that includes some extras like an adjustable fuel pressure regulator(~200)and and APEXi electronic EGT gauge(~240).
4) Get the VB mod for the tranney
5) If its tuned correctly (a/f ratio) no more than any other horse power mod will. But its not their all the time.
6) If you aint good with mods take it to a shop.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

1) If you live wear its hot take it out during the day, while your parked.
2) It depends on the other mods, but on a stocker High 14's to low 14's
3) You can get the basic 40-60hp NOS system from JC Whitney for ~400. To go higher gauges and other options are recomended. I spent ~1200 to get to a 100hp shot but that includes some extras like an adjustable fuel pressure regulator(~200)and and APEXi electronic EGT gauge(~240).
4) Get the VB mod for the tranney
5) If its tuned correctly (a/f ratio) no more than any other horse power mod will. But its not their all the time.
6) If you aint good with mods take it to a shop.
What happens if its left in the trunk? Its hot down here in Florida.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by max2kgle526

What happens if its left in the trunk? Its hot down here in Florida.
yea.. same here in south cali.. triple digits sometimes in the summer. i dont wanna hassle puttin it in and takin it out.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

yea.. same here in south cali.. triple digits sometimes in the summer. i dont wanna hassle puttin it in and takin it out.
I live new orleans and it gets way hot here too. They make bottle heater but not bottle coolers (can you say peltier cooler ) When the bottle gets hot the pressure rises. I've seen 1300psi on a baking hot day (I have a black max) I dont know what pressure the bottle will vent at but at pressures above 1000psi you will run lean and may damage your motor, unless you tune it to operate with a high psi, but thats not advisable. Also the you can damage the seals in the solinoids with too high a bottle pressure. So the system is basically unusable anyways when the bottle is over heated. I use a wet towel or chamois to cool the bottle down some times but it takes a while.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Same here as mardigrasmax...

I live about an hour north of him in Mississippi and it gets to be very hot here so I just take out the bottle for everyday use and then usually put it back in on the weekends in case I encounter a little fun. The nitrous can be done safe, as long as you do things right. Make sure you have cooler plugs and that you are getting enough fuel. If you guys have any questions about the nitrous on a max, just let me know, mardigrasmax knows about it more than I do also.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:31 PM

Re: Same here as mardigrasmax...

Originally posted by nvmymax2
I live about an hour north of him in Mississippi and it gets to be very hot here so I just take out the bottle for everyday use and then usually put it back in on the weekends in case I encounter a little fun. The nitrous can be done safe, as long as you do things right. Make sure you have cooler plugs and that you are getting enough fuel. If you guys have any questions about the nitrous on a max, just let me know, mardigrasmax knows about it more than I do also.
how do u guys think about electronic injected nitrous (zex, venom) safe? will i have to buy other gauges and learn how to put more gas into the engine blah blah, im so new at this, i dont even know wut i need so my engine runs nicely.. o well, i'll learn.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:59 PM

Well ...

As far as the Zex and Venom kit goes. They are very different from each other and other kits. Most kits (Nos, nitrous express) use a fuel and a nitrous solenoid. These solenoids allow the need fuel and nitrous to go into the engine. Venom is very expensive, but is all electronically controlled. You have multiple settings that makes the kit function the way you want it to at that time. The Zex kit is what I decided to go with. Zex is a little computer box that contains a solenoid and a small computer. The solenoid is only used for allowing a certain amount of nitrous into the engine. But the computer does all of the work. The computer reads fuel pressure, nitrous pressure, and volts coming from the throttle position sensor. So the kit won't let nitrous in unless all of these things are ok. This is what makes the kit safer. You are only able to use about a 55 shot or so with out having to upgrade fuel pump and other things. I am currently only using the 55 shot, but as soon as I send off my VB and get it done I will be upgrading my fuel so I can go with the 65 or 75 shot.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:02 PM

Re: Well ...

As far as the Zex and Venom kit goes. They are very different from each other and other kits. Most kits (Nos, nitrous express) use a fuel and a nitrous solenoid. These solenoids allow the need fuel and nitrous to go into the engine. Venom is very expensive, but is all electronically controlled. You have multiple settings that makes the kit function the way you want it to at that time. The Zex kit is what I decided to go with. Zex is a little computer box that contains a solenoid and a small computer. The solenoid is only used for allowing a certain amount of nitrous into the engine. But the computer does all of the work. The computer reads fuel pressure, nitrous pressure, and volts coming from the throttle position sensor. So the kit won't let nitrous in unless all of these things are ok. This is what makes the kit safer. You are only able to use about a 55 shot or so with out having to upgrade fuel pump and other things. I am currently only using the 55 shot, but as soon as I send off my VB and get it done I will be upgrading my fuel so I can go with the 65 or 75 shot.
can you control when you want it, say if u need extra power this instant, kan u control that?
Old 06-12-2001, 09:11 PM

Nitrous...

It is not constant power gain. It is something that you use only when you need that "extra power gain". You have a switch in the cockpit that you turn on when you want to spray. Then once the switch is on,you floor the car and once the car hits full throttle " go baby go "!!! And as far as making the hp shot larger or smaller that is done with different jets.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:14 PM

Re: Nitrous...

It is not constant power gain. It is something that you use only when you need that "extra power gain". You have a switch in the cockpit that you turn on when you want to spray. Then once the switch is on,you floor the car and once the car hits full throttle " go baby go "!!! And as far as making the hp shot larger or smaller that is done with different jets.
o kool.. so how much the whole Nitrous setup cost you??
Old 06-12-2001, 09:38 PM

Cost...

Here is what I paid: Zex kit ---- $450
Zex plugs -- $40
Zex bottle
pressure
gauge -- $75

Grand Total- $565

Plus a hundred dollars that I gave a friend of mine to help me with the setup. It improved my 1/4 mile time from a 15.6 to a 14.7.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:50 PM

Re: Cost...

Here is what I paid: Zex kit ---- $450
Zex plugs -- $40
Zex bottle
pressure
gauge -- $75

Grand Total- $565

Plus a hundred dollars that I gave a friend of mine to help me with the setup. It improved my 1/4 mile time from a 15.6 to a 14.7.

wut about ur tranny?? is it sliippin bad now?
Old 06-15-2001, 10:27 AM

Not really....

I haven't had any problems yet. ( knock on wood) But I am not able to spray off the line, because my wheels spin. I am getting the vb mod in about a week or so. And I hope that it will help to improve my time, and grip.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:13 AM

thats cool let us know...

i also heard that NOS causes some burn or something in the engine (pistons?) i heard that if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time...

also lets say i wanna remove the kit and sell the car as a stock car... what will have to be done?
thanks
Old 06-15-2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by psing23
thats cool let us know...

i also heard that NOS causes some burn or something in the engine (pistons?) i heard that if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time...

also lets say i wanna remove the kit and sell the car as a stock car... what will have to be done?
thanks
Its just like anything else, if you dont know how to use it it can f up your car. Its the old nitrous is "bad" thing from those who have no idea WTF they are talking about.

Just take the kit off and sell the car. But you should allways wash and detail a car before you try and sell it
Old 06-15-2001, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Its just like anything else, if you dont know how to use it it can f up your car. Its the old nitrous is "bad" thing from those who have no idea WTF they are talking about.

Just take the kit off and sell the car. But you should allways wash and detail a car before you try and sell it

when you install it do you have to make any permanent changes to the car?

i heard taht you have to drill into the intake manifold? or somewhere... i dunno
lemme know
Old 06-15-2001, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by psing23

when you install it do you have to make any permanent changes to the car?

i heard taht you have to drill into the intake manifold? or somewhere... i dunno
lemme know
Yep, but drill into somthing plastic or rubber and replace it before you sell it. Before I had my CAI I put the nozzle into the black accordian flex hose section thats just before the throttle body. That part is probably like ~$20 from the dealer.