5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Angel Eyes Ebay's E46 WHITES installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:38 AM

I love the way those make the max look so much more snazzy. Seems like a difficult mod though.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 AM

What does everyone think of these? http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?products_id=44
Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by EnemyKhan
Those are one's that started it all, you need to read this thread from the start, they are also the reason why myself and many others opted for the ebay one's.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:22 PM

wow, my fault, I look pretty retarded after reading this whole post.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by LUCKYMAX
Anyone try out the CCFL version of these angel eyes ??
yea i tried the ccfl ones for e46 non projectors. theres some small problems. one is that they are covered in the plastic casing so the fitment was off for both inner and outer rings. the inside rings have the exact shape of the highbeam bowl but the problem is the inner bowl sits right against the wall of the outer bowl leaving no extra space for the casing. in order to get them to fit properly, you have 2 choices:
1) sand off parts of the casing (risk of damaging the actual flourescent ring)
2) dremel out a bit of the housing (long term damage of your housings)
i chose 2 because i was getting frustrated and didnt want to wait to have them on

the outer rings were a bigger pain because they dont form the exact shape of the outer bowl. if you want to use it, the ring will overlap the bowl and go a lil around the outside of the bowls rim. i cracked both my outer rings trying to make it fit as close as i can. (cracked the first one by mistake and said fukc it about the 2nd one cuz 3 angel eyes would look funny anyway...)

one of the annoying problems i had was that behind the ring was a layer of white silicon. the silicon actually held the flourescent ring and the wires in place underneath the metal backing. the soldering on the wire to ring wasnt all that great and if you got one of the weak ones, they would disconnect once you gave it a lil pull. it took me about 3 weeks to recieve all parts withuot any problems. no complaints from me though cuz the guy was really cooperative and sent me another 3 rings free of charge without even asking for me to return the old ones.

when you recieve the rings, the top of them have a supportive plastic that reaches from one end to the other to prevent flexing (im assuming so) in order to put the rings on, you have to cut them off with a dremel or another rotating cutting device. no doing so will have a ugly a$$ plastic peice stretching straight across.

last but not least, my friend with an m3 is a frequent on bimmerforums. it seems that almost everyone on there has a problem with the inverters they come with. after about 3 months or so, the inverter will go. when i got mine new, i was testing the rings and the inverter died. flickered twice and then the rings stopped working. got another one sent to me (free) and worked well. as of rite now, the other original one is dead. ppl on BF say that they go to the local electrical store (radioshack etc) and get a industrial inverter or something close and the rings work properly without problems after swap.

the good things about this though is that theyre very bright if not extremely bright. theyre brighter than my friends zkw dual projector w/ ccfl angel eyes from umnitza. the color is also about 6000k-7000k. price is cheap. even if you got new inverters, the wont run you more than 100 bucks all together. customer service from the guy was pretty good. always responded to my emails and insured the shipping. if your a handy person w/ the proper tools, you can prolly get these in easily. i dint have a dremel. used a cordless drill with all the dremel attachments lol. im planning on getting a set of inverters and have everything redone properly.

motion sensor flood lamp on, camera without flash

motion sensor floodlamp on, camera with flash
Old 08-30-2006, 02:28 PM

MAXRB8...it looks amazing!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skylowmax
MAXRB8...it looks amazing!
Thanks, Keep up the good work on your Max too I checked out your domain! and after reading about the CCFL versions with their install hassles and inverter troubles, and we all know about the Umnitza scene, granted the Cheapo LED Ebay Angels are not as bright, but there's no headaches!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

wow, i hate to bring this back from the dead, but i just purchased umnitza's before doing my usual research (boy i wish i had), I haven't had a chance to install my umnitza's yet; i'm just praying that the installation goes smoothly and that *NOTHING* breaks/cracks/fails, especially after reading about the customer service issues of getting everything replaced/fixed.

anyway, yeah, this dead post can go back to sleep i guess.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 PM

the angel eyes look pretty amazing...one of these days...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Well i order the Umnitza it took me a year to find someone to install them. Then one of them breaks then someone told me to just order the leds, that they were cheaper. so i get the led install and of course at first i wasnt very happy with them because they were not that bright, especially to the Umnitza ones. But at dusk, and when its dark they look beautiful, just like the bmw, just more of a blushish color, but they get white after awhile, now i dont want to change them, especially if i'm hearing about cold start up, and pink eyes. so thanks to the org i dodge another money bullet, i guess i'm sticking to my l.e.d's. How long do they last anyway
Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
...so thanks to the org i dodge another money bullet, i guess i'm sticking to my l.e.d's. How long do they last anyway
LED's last quite a while, although i vaguely recall someone posting here suggesting a resistor be installed to prevent burnout.

In any case, i once found a video on the 'tube with instructions on how to brighten the LED-based eyes by modifying it slightly. First off, he suggested taping the ends with reflective tape, this helps focus the light into the plastic rings. To top it off, he also suggested adding reflective backing tape on the reverse side of the ring, running the entire length of it.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
LED's last quite a while, although i vaguely recall someone posting here suggesting a resistor be installed to prevent burnout.

In any case, i once found a video on the 'tube with instructions on how to brighten the LED-based eyes by modifying it slightly. First off, he suggested taping the ends with reflective tape, this helps focus the light into the plastic rings. To top it off, he also suggested adding reflective backing tape on the reverse side of the ring, running the entire length of it.

Yeah i saw the video i should have done it, but the guy who installed them convince me that the chrome in the inside act as a reflector anyway so there was no need to do that. Little did i know. At first i did not like the look because it was not bright enough for me but when it gets dusk they look good.

Besides i could always re open them and do them the correct way so that it could reflect more light, but right now i'm happy