5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Squeak Squeak noise during straight line driving? irish44, drklop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Need A Light?

Squeak Squeak noise during straight line driving? irish44, drklop?

So what could it be? My symptoms are the following...

1. Only during straight line driving
2. It's a squeak squeak noise (similiar to a hamster chirping)
3. Happens at any speed...but seems to go away on the freeway
4. Sporadic occurances...doesn't happen all the time
5. Coming from the wheel area, both sides, but majority on passenger

I'm riding on ksport coilovers...everything is on very tightly (double checked that)...I thought it was the wheel bearings...but when I jacked up the car and grabbed the tires from 6 and 12, it was rock solid...spun the tires around a few times and no unusual noise...I don't see anything unusual on the under body either...

So, any suggestions? I remember reading threads a long time ago, how people had problems with noise on the 5th gen...and it was a simple fix...what could it be ya'll> .....lemme know wassup!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:55 AM
retired moderator

have you checked the dust shields to make sure they're not rubbing on the backsides of the rotors....that's a common problem..

could also have to do with the upper strut mount/strut bearing on the coilovers, though I don't know that much about the ksports...
Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Driving is the next best thing

It could still be the wheel bearings. When the car is lifted there's much less pressure acting on them, so the noise is no longer heard.
Also, just like irish said, check the dust shield. The dust shield on my father's Villager was making similar noises when it got bent.

I doubt it has anything to do with coilovers. Does it get worse on bumpy roads?

BTW, PM BlackbirdVQ. I don't think anyone here knows more about our suspension & drivetrain than he does.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:01 AM

one more thing...

you sure that it's not "clicking" CV joint?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've got the same exact problem, so I dont think its the coilovers, I figured it was the wheel bearing starting to go
Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does the noise go away when you brake? I had a similar noise and it turned out to be the brake pads. There was just enough contact btw the pads and rotors that they would squeak, but when I put my foot on the brake the noise went away. The squeaking seemed to be dependent on temp/humidity. New pads fixed it.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 AM
retired moderator

wheel bearings do not make a squeaking sound when they go bad. They make more of a "roaring" sound.....it's not a wheel bearing in this case.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
wheel bearings do not make a squeaking sound when they go bad. They make more of a "roaring" sound.....it's not a wheel bearing in this case.

well in any case I still do have the same noise, it sounds like a little bird chirping. I have to wait till the next time it starts again to test if it goes away under braking
Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Need A Light?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Irish - For some reason, my car didn't come with dust shields ...I'll take a picture for you guys....cuz my REAR rotors has shields behind the rotors...but my FRONTS dont...

DRklop - I'm pretty positive its not the CV joint click....I've heard it before on my older maxima...and on my mother's camry...the sound is very different from the CV joint "click".....its more like a tiny bird chirping...

Sciff5 - you have ksport coilovers also? My noise is exactly how you described it...it sounds like a little bird chirping...

Jaws - I do have the POS axxis ultimate brake pads...they SQUEAL like a **** when I brake...I'll try to carefully listen to the chirping noise, thats if the pads don't overwhelm the chirping noise ....I'm not totally sure if the noise goes away while braking...but as far as I know, I only hear it during accelerating/cruising....
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 PM

The noise from the brakes is a wear indicator built into the pads. I know they are on the OEM pads, have no idea if they are on Axxis pads but how old are they?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by upstatemax
The noise from the brakes is a wear indicator built into the pads. I know they are on the OEM pads, have no idea if they are on Axxis pads but how old are they?
about 8 months old...not old or worn out at all...at least thats what i think
Old 06-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Need A Light?

I'm hoping Jaws is right....I was actually thinking about this...becuz not too long ago, my friend had a similiar problem...he had weird noises and chirping and it turned out to be the brake pads...I helped him diagnose it, but couldn't figure it out...but his mechanic uncle said it was his brake pads and he replaced them and it went away!

I'll try to test it out later on...any other suggestions
Old 06-04-2006, 02:27 PM

I dont have coilovers. My mods are in my sig. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side wheel. My pads are in need of replacement though which is why I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade to 6th gen brakes
Old 06-04-2006, 03:21 PM

Does the noise become more frequent the faster you go or does it continue to "chirp" at the same speed no matter how fast you're going?

Will it chirp faster as say 5000 rpms and 10 mph or does it chirp faster at 2500 rpms and 40 mph.

Also I'm not famalier with coilovers at all. Do they have somesort of rubber to prevent the spring from rubbing against the mount? (The housing that holds the spring in place) If so did you check to see if that rubber was ripped on worn?

Also with no dust cover you should be able to check the wear of the pades fairly easily from the rear of the rotors. Just take a flashlight out with you and try to look at the rear pads.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:25 PM

this sounds like a problem I have. its really super loud, people look at me. the chips (skreetching violin sound) increases speed as u do. It started after I had my front axel replaced. idk what it is and its making me angry
Old 06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Does the noise become more frequent the faster you go or does it continue to "chirp" at the same speed no matter how fast you're going?

Will it chirp faster as say 5000 rpms and 10 mph or does it chirp faster at 2500 rpms and 40 mph.

Also I'm not famalier with coilovers at all. Do they have somesort of rubber to prevent the spring from rubbing against the mount? (The housing that holds the spring in place) If so did you check to see if that rubber was ripped on worn?

Also with no dust cover you should be able to check the wear of the pades fairly easily from the rear of the rotors. Just take a flashlight out with you and try to look at the rear pads.
naw, it's more speed related...not engine speed related...i can sometimes hear it on the freeway...but at those speeds, everything is loud in the cabin, with the wind hitting you, road noise, etc

I'll double check the rubber mounts...I remember one was slightly torn awhile back...I doubt this is the case though...On my old d2 coilovers, I ran completely gasket-less and I made barely any noise...if any, it was a different kind of noise...
Old 06-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Play with my balls

You need seafoam.....
Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
You need seafoam.....
i already did...prob 2 full treatments, in the lifetime of my maxi

btw, when is brokeback mountain pt 2 coming out?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by steven88
i already did...prob 2 full treatments, in the lifetime of my maxi

btw, when is brokeback mountain pt 2 coming out?
As soon as I give the ok.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:29 PM

I agree with Irish it's def not bearings that's more of a hum, I did mine a couple of months ago, and CV are prevelent when turning the wheel. I'm thinking it's something involving the brakes, good luck
Old 06-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
I agree with Irish it's def not bearings that's more of a hum, I did mine a couple of months ago, and CV are prevelent when turning the wheel. I'm thinking it's something involving the brakes, good luck
hey andrew...what were your symptoms of the bad wheel bearing?

I'm pretty sure its not the CV joints...i know how they sound since i use to have bad ones...it was a very loud click...this is more of a bird chirping

as for the wheel bearings, it could be a possibility...but everyone i spoke to said they had excessive play when they jack up the tires...mine is rock solid...i could lean on the tires, kick them, whatever...and it still won't move...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info Guys.. I have a similar problem. I going to redo my brakes, calipers, and rotors and see it the problem still exists
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM

right before i bought my max, about 9 months ago, the dealer turned the rear rotors, and installed new pads in the back.

I have had the same issue from the day i pulled off the lot. A scraping noise from the passenger side rear. Only after agressive driving (not too hard on the brakes, mostly turning) does it scrape, regardless of brake pressure, and it goes away after the car sits for a while..... I also checked the temperature of the rotor vs the other side right after getting home, and its no warmer than the other side, so in my book that rules out a pad scraping. I'm thinking it may have to do with the wear indicator....perhaps it was bent when installing the pads?

I hate to change out brand new oems in the back, but the noise is bothering me. Any thoughts as to why it could only happen after agressive turning?

J
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Jasovanni
right before i bought my max, about 9 months ago, the dealer turned the rear rotors, and installed new pads in the back.

I have had the same issue from the day i pulled off the lot. A scraping noise from the passenger side rear. Only after agressive driving (not too hard on the brakes, mostly turning) does it scrape, regardless of brake pressure, and it goes away after the car sits for a while..... I also checked the temperature of the rotor vs the other side right after getting home, and its no warmer than the other side, so in my book that rules out a pad scraping. I'm thinking it may have to do with the wear indicator....perhaps it was bent when installing the pads?

I hate to change out brand new oems in the back, but the noise is bothering me. Any thoughts as to why it could only happen after agressive turning?

J
Its not really a scraping noise...its more of a squeak squeak squeak....like a bird / hamster chirping....but yes, the noise gets more apparent when the car is warm...if i pull it out in the morning, it won't start happening until later...

I'm thinking its the brakes too.... but I haven't really done the test...to confirm if the noise does go away when my brakes are applied...I will check into that later
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 PM

steven88:

Also check to see if the rotor is especially warm after a good trip. This would indicate pads fo sho.

J
Old 06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Jasovanni
steven88:

Also check to see if the rotor is especially warm after a good trip. This would indicate pads fo sho.

J
Like if my pads are stuck right? Well, I'm planning to do brakes in the summer...so I'm going to get them replaced anyway...so yeah
Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Shift_MajesticFemale

Are ksports usually noisy???
Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
THIS IS...

Hope not, Im ordering them on Friday from the GB forums.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
It could still be the wheel bearings. When the car is lifted there's much less pressure acting on them, so the noise is no longer heard.
False. Wheel bearings make a low moaning noise that generally gets WORST with speed. Also bearing sounds can be heard at certain speeds and not as much at others, but the noise can almost always be reproduced by mimmicing the action which exposed the sound initially. I guess a bearing could theoretically squeek, but this is far from typical and thus should be put aside until all other probable avenues are covered. I had a bearing go bad and only between 40-47 MPH did the sound become loud. Squeeks are often control arm bushings or some other joint with rubber in or around it. The best way to check wheel bearings is to remove the rim, rotor, axle nut, and turn the bearing. When turning the bearing it should be very smooth without any roughness during its motion. I would check out your control arms as I just replaced mine and had almost the same symtoms. Try this: Moving very slowly (5 MPH or so) turn the wheel all the way to the left lock, then brake smoothly but ending in a very firm application of pressure on the brake pedal. Does the car squeak when the nose dives? Try turning the wheel all the way in the other direction and try it again. If you hear a squeak it could probably be either control arms or struts. Most likely control arms.

Additionally, the old school grab and wiggle does not always work when diagnosing wheel bearings. The sure way is what I stated above. For the rears remove the tire, rotor, and then axle nut (the nut is a big one like 30-31mm I think) and rotate the bearing on the spindle, a similar procedure can be used for the fronts. Squeaks are generally a worn part that has rubber as a component.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:27 PM

BTW I had the same problem. It would come and go from week to week, but since I installed new rotors, calipers, pads and lines the noise hasnt come back so that may hint that the noise is brake related.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM

It may sound strange but...do this..... open the hood and remove the two rubber hood stops from the frame above the headlights. (they are bolted in)
Close the hood and drive around without them. Do you hear the noise?

I had this annoying squeaky noise and i tried everything....I couldn't get rid of it for months. It turned out to be the rubber stops on the hood.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
It may sound strange but...do this..... open the hood and remove the two rubber hood stops from the frame above the headlights. (they are bolted in)
Close the hood and drive around without them. Do you hear the noise?

I had this annoying squeaky noise and i tried everything....I couldn't get rid of it for months. It turned out to be the rubber stops on the hood.
wait...rubber hood stops? are you talking about the ones on both left and right...you can raise them up or down to adjust height of the hood? if so, it's not bolted down? it twists off easily...or is it another part you are talking about?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM

Yes, it is the same part. They are on the left and right sides. Remove them completely and drive around. "Bolted down" was NOT the proper term. Sorry
Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
False. Wheel bearings make a low moaning noise that generally gets WORST with speed. Also bearing sounds can be heard at certain speeds and not as much at others, but the noise can almost always be reproduced by mimmicing the action which exposed the sound initially. I guess a bearing could theoretically squeek, but this is far from typical and thus should be put aside until all other probable avenues are covered. I had a bearing go bad and only between 40-47 MPH did the sound become loud. Squeeks are often control arm bushings or some other joint with rubber in or around it. The best way to check wheel bearings is to remove the rim, rotor, axle nut, and turn the bearing. When turning the bearing it should be very smooth without any roughness during its motion. I would check out your control arms as I just replaced mine and had almost the same symtoms. Try this: Moving very slowly (5 MPH or so) turn the wheel all the way to the left lock, then brake smoothly but ending in a very firm application of pressure on the brake pedal. Does the car squeak when the nose dives? Try turning the wheel all the way in the other direction and try it again. If you hear a squeak it could probably be either control arms or struts. Most likely control arms.

Additionally, the old school grab and wiggle does not always work when diagnosing wheel bearings. The sure way is what I stated above. For the rears remove the tire, rotor, and then axle nut (the nut is a big one like 30-31mm I think) and rotate the bearing on the spindle, a similar procedure can be used for the fronts. Squeaks are generally a worn part that has rubber as a component.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by 03MajesticMax
Are ksports usually noisy???
nope. not noisy unless you do negative preload.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM

last year i had the same problem. i changed my rotors, brake pads, the axle had to go too but none of these were the problem. the sound was coming from the wheel bearing. im gettin the same sound on the left side right now so im probably gonna get the bearing changd tomorro.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM

jack up the car, take the front wheels off and get someone to put it in gear for u to hear where the sound is coming from exactly
Old 07-04-2009, 06:31 AM

squeak noises are normally bushings. Either control arm or anti sway bar bushings that sit on subframe. If u want take the wheels off and take the 2 14 mil bolts out, slide the bushing and put some silicone on it both sides, bolt it back and road test