5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by evalyn
Hi,

I just bought a 2001 Maxima SE. A little old lady named Evalyn had it before me, and I wanted to give the car a name, so I named her Evalyn.

This car is awesome. Seriously a driver's car, and a sport sedan at heart. I'm loving it.

I can't post a new thread yet - is that because I have to accumulate some posts elsewhere before being allowed to start a new thread?

Evalyn
welcome

you need 15 posts to start a new thread...until then, read all the threads you can and get smart.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
welcome

you need 15 posts to start a new thread...until then, read all the threads you can and get smart.
Not sure if reading all the threads in here will make you smarter....maybe dumber.......
Old 07-20-2008, 05:27 PM

Well here is post # 3

Hi there
Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by meseville
Hi there
I wouldnt be posting useless crap like that, it could get you banned.

Do you have a question or what? Ask it in this thread, that is the point of it.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:36 PM

A/C really loud. What gives?

My A/C makes a loud noise that is audible when standing outside the vehicle. The sound is hard to describe, but it's not a squeak or a clang. It just sounds like something's a little out of tune.

So far, I have sprayed belt dressing on the belts, and that is all. This helps, but only for a short while. What else can I do? I just bought this car, and it has 75,000 miles. It's safe to assume the belts have never been changed, unless they broke in the past.

Evalyn
Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 AM

there's some noise coming from one of the belts or both, i heard that when it's time to change your tires, it's time to change your belt(s). My car has 114xxx KM, about 71xxx miles. the noise is kind of like crickets noise. it comes on during morning start when the car has been sitting over night, once it's warm up, its gone. is it time to change it(them)?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 AM

there's some noise coming from one of the belts or both, i heard that when it's time to change your tires, it's time to change your belt(s). My car has 114xxx KM, about 71xxx miles. the noise is kind of like crickets noise. it comes on during morning start when the car has been sitting over night, once it's warm up, its gone. is it time to change it(them)?[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for that great diagram. Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being rebuilding the engine from scratch and 1 being changing a light bulb, how hard would you say it is to replace these belts?

Evalyn
Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Check the 5th gen classified forum, you can find both stock and aftermarket exhaust systems in there regularly and for a lot less than the dealer wants. A good muffler shop can build you a nice mandrel bent exhaust system for around $400-500 and it should include both a muffler and a resonator.
ok, i took another good look under my car and i noticed the rust must have eaten through the gasket connecting the muffler tip to the b-pipe since there was no gasket in between the two (it just looks like a disconnected tube). Most replacements i've seen have a gasket there. also, the gasket connecting the resonator pipe to the catalytic converter is VERY rusted and i figure the shop might have trouble removing the screws which are almost like ***** of rust. do you think i have to replace the cat as well? there's no engine light or anything so im pretty sure it works still so i would really like to keep it. another concern of mine: i live in new england and they use salt on the roads here...what will stop the new exhaust from rusting again? the car has 67k and i figure i shouldnt have to replace the exhaust 3 times before the engine dies.

i forgot to add, most of the replacement and aftermarket exhaust seem either low quality, similar to stock, or high quality, VERY loud, performance alternatives. I want a decent quality replacement but it cannot be loud. By loud i mean i shouldn't be able to hear it from 50 feet away at 2000rpm. any suggestions?

Last edited by walhalla; 07-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Awesome! Thanks for that great diagram. Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being rebuilding the engine from scratch and 1 being changing a light bulb, how hard would you say it is to replace these belts?

Evalyn
i have no idea to be honest.

i asked to see if it's time to change them. if yes, i'd have to bite the bullet and drive down to the stealership

i looked at it this morning and it was tight, somone here must know how to change them.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Cletus

belt change how-to

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/udp.asp
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Fantastic! Thanks, SoonerFan!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 AM

Do I have the In-Dash Changer?

May seem like a dumb question, but did the 2001 GLE come with the in-dash or trunk-mounted changer. Mine seems to have neither, so I'm thinking I'd have to pick up a trunk unit.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF and SES

OK, i have read a lot and done what i feel is a lot.
I got the Maxima 1 month ago from a guy that thought the transmisson was going out.... i found out it was just the MAF thanks to the org.
The SES was the downstream o2 sensor and i fixed that, thanks to the org.

Now my questions: It is an 01 GLE auto with about 140k.
I put the MAF on last night and this morning and all day today it is having trouble idleing. it will idle for about a minute then kind of sputter then eventually die. Is this what the reprogram does that they are talking about? Also there is a high pitch whistleing noise coming from under the hood when I hit the throttle. Honestly I never hit the gas that hard to notice before. The car was nursed before I fixed the MAF because if I hit the throttle hard it would bogg down

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even fif it the words to use in the search.

Thank you
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Anyone have an opinion on what the best repair/maintenance manual is for the 5th gen Maxima?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by maximullins
May seem like a dumb question, but did the 2001 GLE come with the in-dash or trunk-mounted changer. Mine seems to have neither, so I'm thinking I'd have to pick up a trunk unit.
i have a 2000 gle and i had the same scenario. i dont think it comes with either if you dont see it in the trunk. do you see number buttons in the head unit? 1,2,3,4...etc? if its in the head unit it would be easy to tell but i dont think it comes with either...check the trunk there should be an empty mouning spot (as was the case with mine). look on the bright side...you can easily install the usaspec ipod interface to that cd changer button and dont need a cd changer at all it's what i did.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Anyone have an opinion on what the best repair/maintenance manual is for the 5th gen Maxima?
Your owners manual and get a copy of the ESM. The ESM used to be available here, but looks like they took it down.....

http://www.vq35de.com/ESM
Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM

Don't think any Max came STOCK with a changer. Mine had one in it, but it was aftermarket. It's now sitting on a shelf in my garage because it was a POS.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Cletus

00-01 had an optional in trunk changer
02-03 had in dash changer
Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Don't think any Max came STOCK with a changer. Mine had one in it, but it was aftermarket. It's now sitting on a shelf in my garage because it was a POS.
you are wrong

Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM

you are wrong

Yes I am.... but that doesnt change the fact that my changer was a POS.....
Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

headlight sockets

I searched and found some info back in 2003 but don't know if it still applies. My problem seems to be intrinsic to these headlights that get hot. When I unplugged the socket, it came apart in my hand. I would like to know if there is a fix other than a front wiring harness that cost 1,250.00? This noob is hoping to get some help here. Thanks in advance.
I have been on forums before, but I cannot start a new thread on this forum as the system won't let me so I am looking for info here.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM

03 Tune-Up

I'm not going to take me ride to the dealership, but to a mechanic to do my 100,000 mile tune up. Is there anything I need to be aware of or make sure I ask to get done properly?

Oil Change
Tanny Flush, Auto
Coolant Flush
Belts
Cabin Filter
Plugs ect…...

I had a mechanic tell me last oil change I need my engine mounts changed....Any insight would be gr8.

Thanks All

Rich
Old 07-22-2008, 05:04 PM

00-01 had an optional in trunk changer
02-03 had in dash changer
So the '02-'03 weren't optional, they all came with them? If so, where "in dash" would I find mine?

On another note, I noticed a funky problem with my aftermarket Alpine HU. Not sure on the model it's like 9028 or 9628 or some stuff like that, I can find out if it makes a huge difference...

If I turn the volume up to 25/35 I can hear the difference, but from 26 to 35 there is no increase in volume... :S

Would this be a HU problem or limit of some sort, or the Bose stock speakers/amp limit of some kind?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
So the '02-'03 weren't optional, they all came with them? If so, where "in dash" would I find mine?
i didnt say they ALL came with them....

the optional Bose headunit is in-dash changer
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NJYTHRD
I'm not going to take me ride to the dealership, but to a mechanic to do my 100,000 mile tune up. Is there anything I need to be aware of or make sure I ask to get done properly?

Oil Change
Tanny Flush, Auto
Coolant Flush
Belts
Cabin Filter
Plugs ect…...

I had a mechanic tell me last oil change I need my engine mounts changed....Any insight would be gr8.

Thanks All

Rich
DIY, it's fairly easy and straight forward.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 PM

well after much procrastinating... i finally got pictures up of my car...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ting-here.html
Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i have a question about 2001 nissan maxima SE. i just baught 8500k head light bulbs and was wondering if they will fit in the low beam settings and will actually look a blueish color, with out getting the HID conversion kit. and one more question i baught yellow fog light bulbs and was wondering if those are hard to install cause i'm kkind of mechanically challenged. I'm a noob to the website so if you could just get back to me, or e-mail me at cnolan07@hotmail.com for some answers. thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lookin for some help here... I have searched the ORG but have not found this combination of issues. Here we go...

2000 Maxima AT-105K miles- all coils/plugs replaced 11 months ago. This month, SES came on, pulled P0174 from it. Changed out ALL four 02's. Then SES came on again but this time pulled P0430. I have seen some of the suggestions for fixing the P0430 code, but not following the 02 change-out.
Is this a code from the downstream 02 (after the front bank PRE-cat)? If my car had an ignition problem, would the upstream 02's pick it up, thus throwing different code? Does this code affect fuel economy? And is it fair to say the odds are I am going to have to replace the PRE-cat?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:13 AM

hey TOMOFPHOENIX; try this :http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...0430-code.html hope it helps
Old 07-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cnolan07
hey i have a question about 2001 nissan maxima SE. i just baught 8500k head light bulbs and was wondering if they will fit in the low beam settings and will actually look a blueish color, with out getting the HID conversion kit. and one more question i baught yellow fog light bulbs and was wondering if those are hard to install cause i'm kkind of mechanically challenged. I'm a noob to the website so if you could just get back to me, or e-mail me at cnolan07@hotmail.com for some answers. thanks guys.
Not too sure about the 8500k bulb question, but I have changed my fog light bulbs several times. Its harder than it should be IMO, but its really not that hard.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/piaa_fogs.html

The hardest part my first time was #3 in these directions. Releasing the tab can be difficult, but just use a screwdriver and press really hard on the release tab.

Also, i would book mark that site. There's a lot of good info on there.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by cnolan07
hey i have a question about 2001 nissan maxima SE. i just baught 8500k head light bulbs and was wondering if they will fit in the low beam settings and will actually look a blueish color, with out getting the HID conversion kit. .
What size are the bulbs you bought? (9007, etc)?

8500K =

4300K > *
Xenon > Halogen
Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM

ok guys quick question. recently i bought a roof spoiler and a pair of eyelids for my 03 max. the problem is when i go on the duplicolor site to get some paint that match the car (QX1) they only offer the small brush touch up stuff. so the question is, can i pull of painting the eyelids and roof spoiler with regular white automotive paint instead of taking it to a paint shop?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by walhalla
i have a 2000 gle and i had the same scenario. i dont think it comes with either if you dont see it in the trunk. do you see number buttons in the head unit? 1,2,3,4...etc? if its in the head unit it would be easy to tell but i dont think it comes with either...check the trunk there should be an empty mouning spot (as was the case with mine). look on the bright side...you can easily install the usaspec ipod interface to that cd changer button and dont need a cd changer at all it's what i did.
I have all the numbers, but see any wiring or mounting location in the truck where it should be. You may be right... will go for that usaspec unit. Looks sweet. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 AM

steering wheel vibrates

when I brake, and especially when I brake firmly, the steering wheel shakes. What could be causing this, and how can I diagnose it?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

when I brake, and especially when I brake firmly, the steering wheel shakes. What could be causing this, and how can I diagnose it?
More than likely warped rotors. remove them and take them to your local auto parts store and see if they can machine them. IMO, it is just easier to buy new units.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
More than likely warped rotors. remove them and take them to your local auto parts store and see if they can machine them. IMO, it is just easier to buy new units.
+1...i agreee with NmexMAX here... new rotors = the way to go..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IACV and ECU issues

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have extensively viewed the past threads on this topic but I was hoping for a little guidance on my situation.

Problem: I recently popped the P0505 engine code concurrently with a stall at idle condition. Basically I have to drive around feathering the gas pedal.

Troubleshooting: Bought new IACV and replaced. After starting the car back up, I notice an idle of around 1500 RPM (expected) and I can hear the operation of the IACV upon bringing the key to on position (good). After a couple of more startups and a subsequent drive to autozone to check whether P0505 condition still exists, my old stalling at idle condition returns. Also, when bringing key to on position, I no longer here IACV in operation.

Question: I am on the market for a new/used ECU. Should I also go ahead and buy another IACV? I rather not shell out the 250 bucks but I have a feeling that if I don't replace both at the same time, I am looking at a long drawn out money pit.

Thanks a lot to all the info and answers this thread has provided over the years.

P.S. Anyone have an IACV or ECU for sale?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by awolfinwater
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have extensively viewed the past threads on this topic but I was hoping for a little guidance on my situation.

Problem: I recently popped the P0505 engine code concurrently with a stall at idle condition. Basically I have to drive around feathering the gas pedal.

Troubleshooting: Bought new IACV and replaced. After starting the car back up, I notice an idle of around 1500 RPM (expected) and I can hear the operation of the IACV upon bringing the key to on position (good). After a couple of more startups and a subsequent drive to autozone to check whether P0505 condition still exists, my old stalling at idle condition returns. Also, when bringing key to on position, I no longer here IACV in operation.

Question: I am on the market for a new/used ECU. Should I also go ahead and buy another IACV? I rather not shell out the 250 bucks but I have a feeling that if I don't replace both at the same time, I am looking at a long drawn out money pit.

Thanks a lot to all the info and answers this thread has provided over the years.

P.S. Anyone have an IACV or ECU for sale?
Did you do the idle relearn procedure after the valve replacement? If so, your ECU is probably dying. Your IACV is probably fine, so why would you buy another one?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Did you do the idle relearn procedure after the valve replacement? If so, your ECU is probably dying. Your IACV is probably fine, so why would you buy another one?
Attempted to perform Idle relearn procedure but the stalling while idling symptom returned so I was unable to complete. I believe the IACV is faulty because I know no longer here it operating when I put the key in the "on" position.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread