5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will Altima SE-R front brake set fit on a 01 Maxima?

I have the Altima SE-R wheels and have a opportunity to get a set of 05 SE-R brake calipers and rotors. Would they fit and work ok for my 01 Maxima?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MaximaInFairOaks
I have the Altima SE-R wheels and have a opportunity to get a set of 05 SE-R brake calipers and rotors. Would they fit and work ok for my 01 Maxima?
As a combo, yes they will. Brakes alone will not fit under the OEM Maxima 17's w/o a spacer.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Whoa, late reply. But this is definitely not a plug and play swap. You'll need to wire in harnesses for the high beams. Or have no high beams at all.

yeah, I knew this. I just didnt feel like arguing with the guy. Know where I can get the harness or do I just need to make it?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by JustinXtlr
yeah, I knew this. I just didnt feel like arguing with the guy. Know where I can get the harness or do I just need to make it?
you will need a 9005 socket IIRC. walmart sells them for $1

you can wire it all in yourself custom.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by crabguy
i found this site a couple of days ago, great site! i really need some advice and help. just swapped out an alternator on 2001 and it's not showing any readings from an Avance Auto tester. they say it's a wiring issue. this is the 2nd alternator in 16 months. please help with any suggestions. desparate
check fuses. Check all connections, trace them back if you have to.

alternator should have a direct line to the battery
Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by SubliminalSam
Hello, i just recently replaced my MAF because my 2000 Nissan Max GLE was having trouble idling when cold, as well as trouble accelerating. The new MAF did the trick for a few days then i was having the same idling problem again, however the car still accelerates fine. I was reading the forums and read a few different possible fixes, Upper intake manifold gasket might need to be replaced or the IACV. Any advice?
both are pretty easy to fix and cheap.

Try the IACV first. Its right on the throttle body
Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie and Suddenly my car just cuts off

I have a question where in the "I'm new to the site" does it tell you what is required to post your first question ... my 2000 5th generation will not stay on once i take my foot off the gas ... I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor as in the 2003 guide but that did not help. Any other thoughts this is sudden as I drive it everyday 50 miles and out of knowhere this suddenly started. It idled beautifully 3 days ago. I parked it and when i started it this is my new sudden symptom. ?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by cool_A-Ksuited
I have a question where in the "I'm new to the site" does it tell you what is required to post your first question ... my 2000 5th generation will not stay on once i take my foot off the gas ... I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor as in the 2003 guide but that did not help. Any other thoughts this is sudden as I drive it everyday 50 miles and out of knowhere this suddenly started. It idled beautifully 3 days ago. I parked it and when i started it this is my new sudden symptom. ?
you need 15 posts to post a new question.

Do you have an codes? If not I'm thinking IACV, which controls idle. You can override it by adjusting the screw on the throttle body where the cables are or buy a new one
Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for feedback

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
check fuses. Check all connections, trace them back if you have to.

alternator should have a direct line to the battery
thanks DrunkieTheBear. i sort of cleaned the 2-pin connector bt srcaping it with an exacto blade. as for the big wire, i sanded the round blade connector. does the long bolt on top of alternator act as a ground? what about the short bolt? i'm thinking it's not grounded. anyway, i did something that everyone says not to do, with a voltmeter on the batter, the voltage is 12.9, motor off. with the car running, it's 13-13.35. i disconnected both cables on the battery and the car kept running. the voltage at the + & - cables was 13-13.05. i know this is to low, any ideas? again, desparate!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

05-06 Altima Steering Wheel on 2000 Maxima?

Would a 05-06 steering wheel fit on a 2000 Maxima? If so, how would the fitment, controls and airbag work? Anyone try this?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does replacing one of your oxygen sensors throw off the car timing? thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by crabguy
thanks DrunkieTheBear. i sort of cleaned the 2-pin connector bt srcaping it with an exacto blade. as for the big wire, i sanded the round blade connector. does the long bolt on top of alternator act as a ground? what about the short bolt? i'm thinking it's not grounded. anyway, i did something that everyone says not to do, with a voltmeter on the batter, the voltage is 12.9, motor off. with the car running, it's 13-13.35. i disconnected both cables on the battery and the car kept running. the voltage at the + & - cables was 13-13.05. i know this is to low, any ideas? again, desparate!
You can do a custom grounding kit and see if that helps, but with the engine still running even without the battery connected seems to be a good sign. I forget how the alternator is setup on the maxima, but you could always test the alternator connection with a multimeter and see what kind of voltage is coming off the alternator as well.

Would a 05-06 steering wheel fit on a 2000 Maxima? If so, how would the fitment, controls and airbag work? Anyone try this?
It may fit, but wiring the controls, you would have to compare FSMs between maxima and altima and see if you can match them. Not worth it IMO

Originally Posted by Rhodyrams
Does replacing one of your oxygen sensors throw off the car timing? thanks.
no
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof Won't Work Motor Seems Fine

Hello. I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find an answer. My sunroof will not function. I've tried the reset procedure using the tilt button. The tilt and slide buttons simply "click" when pressed. Nothing else happens. I have also removed the sunroof motor and it seems to function properly when the tilt and slide switches are used, but when I re-install the motor I'm back to square one. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Beeros
Hi everyone, recently my car has developped a problem. BTW, its an auto tranny

here are the symptoms :

-engine cuts when approching 3500 rpm, it wont go further ( ONLY WHEN CRUISING )

-when i FLOOR IT ( and only when i floor it ), tranny doesn't downshift ( i assume the tranny won't downshift to a gear that will lead the engine to rev more than 4000 rpm... )

-when my cruise speed reach about 60 mph , engine tends to sputter/miss a little bit but not much

seems like a MAF problem so far BUT :

-in neutral position, the engine can rev without any hesitation until fuel cut-off ( approx 7000 rpm).

- Also, the ECU does not throw any codes

So the main question is : Is it possible for my engine to rev to 7000 rpm without any hesitation if the MAF is dead ?

If not, then what could be the problem ?
So i bought a new MAF ( jobber part, non-oem ) , guess what ? the car runs sooo much worst than before ! I cant even go past 2500 rpm in neutral ! I suspect the MAF that I bought to be bad itself ! I put my old maf so i can at least take my car to drive to work lol.

I'll try to exchange the MAF for another one at the auto part but what bugs me a bit is that I heard that almost every non-oem MAF for Maximas are bad !!!! Call the dealer : 629 $ for a oem MAF ( just the part, no installation ) WTF !!!!!!!! Can someone hook me up for oem MAF ( or at least a good, fonctionnal one ) ???? ( I'm in Quebec .... )

Some guy told me that my ECM needs a reprogramming to work with my new MAF and that would be why its not working .... Could he be right ? I thought the reprogramming helps the car to be runs perfectly and not prevent for not going over 2500 rpm ??

HELP PLZ !! I'm quite lost at the moment !!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 maxima - 20th anniversary - Bose

The 6.5" subwoofer is blown, does anyone know what the ohm rating is? Also, where I could pick-up a factory replacement fairly cheap? TIA.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 missfiring

i have a 2000 and when i accelerate the engine hesitates. i took it in today to get a diagnostic check and they said its misfiring. i was told to replace the spark plugs. anybody have any ideas? or could someone give my instructions on how to replace spark plugs?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM

can you buy brake pad spacers without the pads, or do they just come with the pads?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Heres what your looking for Spark plug replacement 2000-2001
Next time use the search feature at the top. it took all but 2 seconds. But other than that welcome to the org!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Beeros
So i bought a new MAF ( jobber part, non-oem ) , guess what ? the car runs sooo much worst than before ! I cant even go past 2500 rpm in neutral ! I suspect the MAF that I bought to be bad itself ! I put my old maf so i can at least take my car to drive to work lol.

I'll try to exchange the MAF for another one at the auto part but what bugs me a bit is that I heard that almost every non-oem MAF for Maximas are bad !!!! Call the dealer : 629 $ for a oem MAF ( just the part, no installation ) WTF !!!!!!!! Can someone hook me up for oem MAF ( or at least a good, fonctionnal one ) ???? ( I'm in Quebec .... )

Some guy told me that my ECM needs a reprogramming to work with my new MAF and that would be why its not working .... Could he be right ? I thought the reprogramming helps the car to be runs perfectly and not prevent for not going over 2500 rpm ?

HELP PLZ !! I'm quite lost at the moment !!!
bump !!! I really need help guys !!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM

well...my friend is selling 19x10 set of rims and i was wondering if i wanted to put this on my maxima, what mm spacers would be good? The front when i tried it on it fit perfectly w/o having spacers but idk about rubbing issues but i was wondering if anyone has 19x10 on their max?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by theallpowerfulme
2001 maxima - 20th anniversary - Bose

The 6.5" subwoofer is blown, does anyone know what the ohm rating is? Also, where I could pick-up a factory replacement fairly cheap? TIA.

bump, thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will Altima SE-R front brake set fit on a 01 Maxima?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
As a combo, yes they will. Brakes alone will not fit under the OEM Maxima 17's w/o a spacer.
Are they a direct fit? Would they just swap out or is there any modifications needed?

Is there any DIY post showing how to do a swap like this?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
5er

I might become a Maxima owner soon, right now I have an 02 Sentra Spec-v.

I've been talking with a guy will sell me a 2000 Maxima in good shape for $600.

Good except for the tranny that is. I can get one from a 1998 Maxima nearby for $100.

My question is.... Will a 1998 Maxima Tranny work in a 2000 Car and will there be electronic differences?

Not sure if the 98 tranny is a RE4F04A or a RE4F04V yet.
Not sure if the 00 tranny is a RE4F04B or a RE4F04W yet.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 AM

D2 coilovers install
quick question, can i just swap out my stock suspension with the coilovers or will i need to take out the stock pillow mounts? is a spring compressor needed?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Also do the those retractable winshield sunshields, the kind that mount on the A pillar reduce visibilty(when retracted).
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Are they a direct fit? Would they just swap out or is there any modifications needed?

Is there any DIY post showing how to do a swap like this?

Thanks!
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...e-upgrade.html
Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 5er

Good except for the tranny that is. I can get one from a 1998 Maxima nearby for $100.

My question is.... Will a 1998 Maxima Tranny work in a 2000 Car and will there be electronic differences?

The A & B models are the tranny's for Maximas.

You might run into to some ECU/TCU 'issues'/bugs.

Also the 00 tranny has a bit shorter FD. This is probably due to the larger diameter tire/wheel.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5er

I did what you are looking at doing. I had a 02 spec with leather and all. Fully decked out. Liked the car(but b/c of stupid decisions I no longer have the car). I got the 2k max and its ok too but not as nice as the spec. The spec handles better and is faster than the max. I liked the way the spec drove better(just didnt like all the bugs that the 02 had).
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 PM

Help please, my 2000 max has just been getting the worst mpg lately . Brand new MAF so I really dont think that is it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Only mods (if this helps you is Injen CAI and Ground kit) Maybe PCV or O2????? I can watch my gas gauge go down. So I know this isnt in my head lol
Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by JustinXtlr
Help please, my 2000 max has just been getting the worst mpg lately . Brand new MAF so I really dont think that is it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Only mods (if this helps you is Injen CAI and Ground kit) Maybe PCV or O2????? I can watch my gas gauge go down. So I know this isnt in my head lol
Posting actual numbers, not just "worst mpg", and how you calculate them would be handy in trying to help you. A lot of different factors contribute to bad mpg, including the "foot factor"...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
Posting actual numbers, not just "worst mpg", and how you calculate them would be handy in trying to help you. A lot of different factors contribute to bad mpg, including the "foot factor"...

Well i didnt actually get the numbers that is why i didnt post any. Also I wasn't going around flooring it. It was under normal driving. I normally get around 300 miles to a tank. but as of yesterday i got 100 to a half tank. thus losing 100 miles on that tank somewhere somehow?

Last edited by JustinXtlr; 04-17-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 AM

which weathertech window visors look right on a stock 01 silver max, dark tint or light tint?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2002 SE with just over 160k, for the past 3 weeks or so I've had a slight "hiccup" at idle but only in drive when sitting at a light. Like it idles fine for 5-6 seconds then it stumbles but it seems like its just one cylinder that doesnt fire or something. The past week or so my speedometer has been deciding when it wants to work. Well That was fine as it ran fine anywhere other than idle in drive, but last night I was getting on it and now it just misfires Alllllll the time. Not a light misfire, it seems like at least one cylinder isnt firing at all.

I brought it to Autozone about an hour ago and pulled codes :P1574, P0500. Both speed sensor related, so no coil or misfire codes? Any idea where to go from here? How do I test the coils?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

alternator problem solved

thanks to all for info. finally had a mechanic install a new alternator, after f--k--g around with 3 rebuilt ones from advance auto. they are crap. hope to get my money back for the original which crapped out after 16 months. got real sick and tired of swapping the alternators. the new one is showing 14.3v, the ones from advance only 13v. can anyone tell me which NGK plugs to use? someone mentioned to use iridiums. part # please would help. thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please Help......

I really need MCA4 map data. Please help...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Crank but wont start.

My girlfriends 2002 maxima will crank and crank but wont start. I was able to move the relay box around that is located in front of the battery and it would start.now it wont start at all. Im pretty good with cars but bad with money so i cant just go out and my 6 relays a fuel pump and a mass air flow. Its not the fuel pump because i can hear the car prime. Any other problems that would cause it not to start? I was thinking a bad realy since i could tap on the relay box and move it around it would start?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM

If you could just wiggle things around before to get the car to start, I would suspect you have a bad ground somewhere in the system. Start by checking the negative connection at the battery and make sure it is tight, and then proceed to check all the grounding points around the engine bay to ensure all are tight and not rotting out.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

>Ghost 54
Thank you. She has one of those grounding kits from a previouse owner and two grounds are in one spot.Could you tell me how many ground there are and there they mount to? Like for example cylinder head to chassis.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by stoned_heckler
>Ghost 54
Thank you. She has one of those grounding kits from a previouse owner and two grounds are in one spot.Could you tell me how many ground there are and there they mount to? Like for example cylinder head to chassis.
Having some grounding kits wires are only an extension of the overall electrical system, I was referring more to the original electrical harnesses. .ie check the harness at the starter for any signs of wear or loose connection, check the one at the battery to be sure it is tight and then follow it to where it connects to to the walls in side the engine bay that sort of connections is what I was referring to. Far to often on some of the older cars the original electrical harnesses are loose or have rotted exposed section.

Your original statement was you could get the car to start by wiggling wires near the main junction, which leads me to think something is loose.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie Question....

I found a site that sells 2002-2003 Headlights for $557 for the pair. I'd like to swap out my 2000 Maxima headlights being that the 2002-2003 lights are HID's..... The lights come with the bulbs and ballast. My question is what else is needed harness wise to get these lights to work on a 2000 Maxima?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread