5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Cletus

dealership has to do it.

whats with the pics of the neon

if you have both, at least use pics of the maxima on here
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

00 se wont start!!, help!!!!!

my car wont start, i checked all battery connections and they re fine. it just clicks once when i turn the key so i assumed it was the starter. so from there i attempted to push start the car by catching it in gear to get to my buddies house to install a new starter. i could not get the car to start that way either. the car only has 59k on it. anyone haev any ideas about what could be wrong???
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

I was thinking the clutch pedal sensor that tells the car it is okay to fire since it is not engaged but since you tried push starting that rules that out I believe but I am unsure.

When you push start what happens? Does it try to start? Does it just grab the clutch and bog?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 nissan maxima GXE

Hi everyone, I just had a few questions about my fiances new maxima. Its a 2000 GXE model with the 3.0L V6, the keyfobs that came with it dont work... and judging from their condition they probably never will... I have a 06 spec v sentra I dont use mine, is there anyway I can reprogram them to work for her car... Also when driving in a straight line in the car you have to hold the steering wheel probably about 1/8 of a turn of the wheel to keep it going straight... when I step into it holding the wheel dead straight allows the car to go in a straight line but when you let off there is... almost like a pop in the front end and you have to go right back to the 1/8 of a turn to keep it going in a straight line... the tires are kinda bad, and I know that isnt the problem but does anyone have any ideas?
thanks! The car also didnt come with the fog lights... I really like the way they look on the maxima and it would be a nice function for the car to have, would i have to go to the dealer?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the car seems to start meaning all of the warning lights turn off but then when i push in the clutch pedal it just dies the gas pedal seems to bog out as you were saying
Old 07-19-2007, 04:23 PM

A/C control unit lights

wasup gents,

lights are out for my a/c unit controls. Can anyone confirm 27545MA is the right part to get? How do I convert this part no. to an aftermarket/sylvania, etc.?

thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all, I have learned so much reading this forum, but never had a reason to post until now....... I was rear-ended, spun several times, and slammed the left side against the guardrail. My 2000 Maxima SE with 120K miles had $6K in damage. I ended up facing the wrong way on the highway, and trying to start the car in a panic but it would not idle, finally I worked both the accelerater and brake together to move it. I got out checked everything, and found that I was still some what drivable. I again used the gas/brake method to limp it home. I immediately noticed the SES light was on, and so advised the body shop when I delivered it to them. Body shop takes it to the dealer, and that’s where it sets now, with code P0505, and needs an IACV-AAC replacement. My issue is the insurance company is saying this is not related to the accident, and I have to pay. I need a good argument, because the burden of proof is now with me to prove it happened during the accident. No physical damage to front-end, or to the IACV-AAC. Is this a mechanical device that can be damaged by impact? I would be grateful for any ideas on how to prove this? Thank you all Randy
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM

tell them the car started fine prior to the accident...IIRC, the ECU might be able to remember how many times a code has come up (dont quote me).
Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slickrick
tell them the car started fine prior to the accident...IIRC, the ECU might be able to remember how many times a code has come up (dont quote me).
Great thought. I never thought of this. Possible there's a data logger of some type?
I wonder if having the battery disco'd for a month at the Body shop would have cleared the logs?.
I will research this, and let you know what i find out. thanks again
Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by capt_z1
Great thought. I never thought of this. Possible there's a data logger of some type?
I wonder if having the battery disco'd for a month at the Body shop would have cleared the logs?.
I will research this, and let you know what i find out. thanks again
good luck...tell the insurance company they can pay the dealer to hook up the ECU and find out...otherwise save that $ and fix your problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,

I am not sure if all 5th generation Maxima's have this, but my 2001 20th Anniversary Edition has a ring tone whenever you put the car in reverse (it is getting annoying after awhile). I was just wondering if there is a way to disable that function? Can it be done, if so, how?

Thank you in advance,
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

good luck...tell the insurance company they can pay the dealer to hook up the ECU and find out...otherwise save that $ and fix your problem.
SlickRick, I appreciate the help very much. ah Luck, I am going to need it. The Insurance company is already refusing to pay the diagnostic fee, so I am already out those $, don't know how much yet, will find out tomorrow. The dealer wants 1000.00 for the repair, 600.00 for the part,talk about a rip off. However I found the part for 209.00 + shipping,
I will ask that they use the consult to try to determine when the first error was thrown. If there is data and info there, I hope it will give the proof i need. If not, I'll start researching here, and am sure I'll need installation advise.
btw It was a hit and run, so no help from the culprit. I've already paid the deductible, and six weeks of rental cars, so they've worn me down, ouch... thanks again Randy
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 PM

SlickRick, I appreciate the help very much. ah Luck, I am going to need it. The Insurance company is already refusing to pay the diagnostic fee, so I am already out those $, don't know how much yet, will find out tomorrow. The dealer wants 1000.00 for the repair, 600.00 for the part,talk about a rip off. However I found the part for 209.00 + shipping,
I will ask that they use the consult to try to determine when the first error was thrown. If there is data and info there, I hope it will give the proof i need. If not, I'll start researching here, and am sure I'll need installation advise.
btw It was a hit and run, so no help from the culprit. I've already paid the deductible, and six weeks of rental cars, so they've worn me down, ouch... thanks again Randy
damn...well another small tip is to buy OEM parts from Dave B to save $ if insurance leaves you SOL...search for his # its worth it.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=dwareroy]
Hey, my car opener recently just began to open only the driver's door no matter how many times I replaced it. I changed the battery and I am still having the same issue. Do I need to get a new door opener?

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
does the inside switch still unlock all the doors?
Yes. It still unlocks all the doors.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

damn...well another small tip is to buy OEM parts from Dave B to save $ if insurance leaves you SOL...search for his # its worth it.
I will search him out, i have seen his name a few times while reading the forum. thanks for the tip !
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by K.O.D
Hi,

I am not sure if all 5th generation Maxima's have this, but my 2001 20th Anniversary Edition has a ring tone whenever you put the car in reverse (it is getting annoying after awhile). I was just wondering if there is a way to disable that function? Can it be done, if so, how?

Thank you in advance,
I'd say it's aftermarket or modded because my AE doesn't do that. Do you have some kind of navi installed? i know some (with backup cams) have a backup chime.

Is the chime different from any other ones that car has? ie. the "key in ignition reminder" or "lights are on" chime?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had success purchasing headlights from a certain ebay dealer...My passenger side caught a boulder yesterday and is cracked...need to get the pair of them for it to look half decent cause the drivers side has a slight haze. Talked to Dave B....596 each...dont really want to spend that much but may have to...for an '03 Max.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd say it's aftermarket or modded because my AE doesn't do that. Do you have some kind of navi installed? i know some (with backup cams) have a backup chime.

Is the chime different from any other ones that car has? ie. the "key in ignition reminder" or "lights are on" chime?
__________________________________________________ _______________

I bought the car used so I am not sure if it was modded or not. The chime sounds like a generic ringtone.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey.. can't seem to find this sight, could somebody please tell me where to find energy suspension FSB bearings. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:24 PM

Ok I found where to buy them. Do I need 22mm or 23mm??
Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM

okay so my car had been dying relatively consistently while in park. I took her into my mechanic yesterday. They cleaned the maf, and it hasn't died since, and it shifts very smoothly. They also cleaned the throttle body. However, the car doesn't seem as perky as it did a few months ago. This is not an observation i've made since i picked the car up yesterday, but rather over the last couple months. She just seems weak. Accelerating onto the highway isn't fun like it used to be. She's not pulling very hard at all. Any ideas as to what i could do to get her perky again?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm having trouble seeing posts! The last post I can see in this thread for instance was made on 5-28. If I go to "Advanced" under the text reply box I can see the most recent posts in the posts previews that show up on the bottom. Other than that there's some serious trouble. DoubyaTeeEff?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM

Im looking to upgrade my brakes and im looking at the blehmco brake kit, but i heard somethin about a cobra brake kit that fits our cars. Is this the 13" brake kit from the mustang cobra???? they look very similar to the stillen bbk. because i have an extra cobra bbk lying aroud from my last car.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:41 PM

After the starter went out...

I noticed the sound system and clock do not work. I checked all the fuese and they are all good. Whats next??
Old 07-22-2007, 07:42 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MetalBlueMaxx
Ok I found where to buy them. Do I need 22mm or 23mm??
if you have an SE, 23mm
GLE or GXE, 22mm.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SE My 6sp
Im looking to upgrade my brakes and im looking at the blehmco brake kit, but i heard somethin about a cobra brake kit that fits our cars. Is this the 13" brake kit from the mustang cobra???? they look very similar to the stillen bbk. because i have an extra cobra bbk lying aroud from my last car.
the "cobra" brake kit uses:

z32 calipers (300zx)
+
jeff92se's relocations brackets
+
cobra rotors
+
jeff's hubcentric rings for the rotors.

It's similar to the blehmco kit.....except the rotors are a bit bigger.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Old Blue 66
I noticed the sound system and clock do not work. I checked all the fuese and they are all good. Whats next??
now recheck the rest of the fuses.....under the hood in 2 boxes, and on driver's side kick panel.

You definitely have a blown fuse.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:46 PM
retired moderator

I will search him out, i have seen his name a few times while reading the forum. thanks for the tip !
hint: his number is in the 5th gen stickies (FAQ's)...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
now recheck the rest of the fuses.....under the hood in 2 boxes, and on driver's side kick panel.

You definitely have a blown fuse.
I thought the same thing, but which one is it? The only fuses that sounded like they had anything to do with the sound system were checked and were ok.

Under the hood, theres one called speaker? And under the dash, its called audio which is fine as well. I checked a couple of others that might have been associated with the sound system and no luck. Anyone know which one it is??

Im at a loss.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hint: his number is in the 5th gen stickies (FAQ's)...
thanks so much, I was spending a lot of time looking for it ! Randy
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 AM

if you have an SE, 23mm
GLE or GXE, 22mm.
Thanks, yall are the best for helping people like this. Time to get this order on! Lol $17, not bad!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM

so i was gettin some road noise from the rear wheels. Took it to discount and they rotated/balanced all 4 wheels. Now the noise is comin from the front wheels? What now?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 PM

stock 2000se rims are 225/50r17 , will 225/55r17 be ok or will it have clearance issues when i hit bumps ...being in ny i figure the 55 will give more cushion for potholes and the 2 tires that im leaning to only available so far in 55 at sears and tirerack no 50 the hydroedge and bf goodrich tractions t/at
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
so i was gettin some road noise from the rear wheels. Took it to discount and they rotated/balanced all 4 wheels. Now the noise is comin from the front wheels? What now?
well, let's think about this for a moment, ok?

1. the noise was coming from the rear wheels.
2. they rotated the tires
3. the noise is now coming from the front wheels

solution: the noise is related to one of the tires. Many tires get noisier as they wear, or are wearing unevenly.

Replace the tire, and you will get rid of the noise.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 93 SE
stock 2000se rims are 225/50r17 , will 225/55r17 be ok or will it have clearance issues when i hit bumps ...being in ny i figure the 55 will give more cushion for potholes and the 2 tires that im leaning to only available so far in 55 at sears and tirerack no 50 the hydroedge and bf goodrich tractions t/at
they will fit, but will look like balloons. You don't want either of those tires anyhow. If you're looking for wet traction go with Toyo Proxes4 or Falken 512/912 - both of which come in stock size, and both of which you should be able to get at Sears.

check www.edgeracing.com if you want to order online, better prices than tirerack.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Old Blue 66
I thought the same thing, but which one is it? The only fuses that sounded like they had anything to do with the sound system were checked and were ok.

Under the hood, theres one called speaker? And under the dash, its called audio which is fine as well. I checked a couple of others that might have been associated with the sound system and no luck. Anyone know which one it is??

Im at a loss.
check the lighting fuses as well.

even better, just check ALL the fuses until you find the right one. There are more fuses associated with the sound system than just the ones that are marked as such.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM

check the lighting fuses as well.

even better, just check ALL the fuses until you find the right one. There are more fuses associated with the sound system than just the ones that are marked as such.
Looks like thats what Ill have to do. Its a task I was hoping to get out of....

Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM

they will fit, but will look like balloons. You don't want either of those tires anyhow. If you're looking for wet traction go with Toyo Proxes4 or Falken 512/912 - both of which come in stock size, and both of which you should be able to get at Sears.

check www.edgeracing.com if you want to order online, better prices than tirerack.
Agreed on the ballons look. I did that because I got a really good deal on a set. After a while I got used to it. But they DID offer a bettrer ride. Not so harsh and didnt rub on anything.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM

well, let's think about this for a moment, ok?

1. the noise was coming from the rear wheels.
2. they rotated the tires
3. the noise is now coming from the front wheels

solution: the noise is related to one of the tires. Many tires get noisier as they wear, or are wearing unevenly.

Replace the tire, and you will get rid of the noise.
well it's noticeable above 30-35 mph, but even worse when i'm turning right (when the load falls onto the front left wheel). I looked and they added SEVEN or eight of those little metallic weights to the left front wheel. It's just crazy lots more noticeable... not sure how it got to be that bad when it clearly wasn't before.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Newbie to the site and new to the 5th Gens. I just bought an 03 SE TE 6-Speed. I am new to mods with a N/A engines as my past 2 vehicles have been Turbo AWD DSM's (Talon/Eclipse). It is easy and relatively inexpensive with turbo vehicles... Intake, Exhaust, bigger turbo, more fuel and you can almost double the stock horsepower and torque. As I have been reading night after night I am finding it hard to determine a good starting point with my new Max. It seems like the ideal would be to mimic the 350Z. What are the differences between the VQ35DE in the Z's from the VQ35DE in the Max? This might help determine a good starting point. Thanks for all the info guys!

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread