5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know alot of people have posted about this but i wanted some insight about what to do with my car. I have a 2000 Nissan maxima GLE with 98k's on it. I've had it for about over a year now and i've had this problem with it. The check engine light is on and also the TCS light is on and the SLIP light is on. When i start the car these lights come on sometimes the Check engine light is always on. When the check engine light is on it drives fine but when the other two lights come on its starts to shake when you press on the brake and when its idle it shakes alot too. If you drive the car around long enough the shaking stops but the three lights are always on. If i press on the gas and pick up real fast when i hit about 40 mph the check engine light starts to blink and a burning smell starts to come out from under the hood and through the AC. I had it checked out once and the mechanic changed one of the Coils but the problem still happens. It happens alot when it is cold and its not as bad when the weather starts to get warm....can anybody help me out? any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 PM

Blinking CEL = misfire?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM

MAF, VAIS or Something Else?

Got through the emissions test w/out problem after a lazy O2 sensor CEL finally cleared. Long story short, having a good day, went WOT and at 5K rpms the engine just bogged down, not making it to redline. At about a third open throttle it bogs down a little sooner, at about 4500 rpm. No matter what throttle position, the engine pulls strong until that spot, where it just becomes a dog. My questions are:

1. MAF? It's the original, but I doubt it as it pulls really strong from idle through mid range. I should clean it/change it anyways.

2. VIAS? Possible, but the engine doesn't bog down at 5K rpm on a consistent basis. I hate to strip a few soft screws in a wild goose chase.

3. Something else I should look into?

It's an 01 SE 5 speed, 120K miles and rusting quarter panels.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jussblaz3
I know alot of people have posted about this but i wanted some insight about what to do with my car. I have a 2000 Nissan maxima GLE with 98k's on it. I've had it for about over a year now and i've had this problem with it. The check engine light is on and also the TCS light is on and the SLIP light is on. When i start the car these lights come on sometimes the Check engine light is always on. When the check engine light is on it drives fine but when the other two lights come on its starts to shake when you press on the brake and when its idle it shakes alot too. If you drive the car around long enough the shaking stops but the three lights are always on. If i press on the gas and pick up real fast when i hit about 40 mph the check engine light starts to blink and a burning smell starts to come out from under the hood and through the AC. I had it checked out once and the mechanic changed one of the Coils but the problem still happens. It happens alot when it is cold and its not as bad when the weather starts to get warm....can anybody help me out? any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Check ya coils all of them. They are to easy to replace about and run about 55-70 depending on which one and where you decide to get the new ones from. You can do this ya self and save alot a change. Search the org there are plenty of write ups on the how-to.

Last edited by DIVINCI; 05-06-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Blinking CEL = misfire?
Yea thats about right.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Hello, i own a 02 maxima 6 spd

Last year i let my friend drive a fully loaded car, he revved up and dropped the clutch and let the tires spin. Ever since then, i noticed a loss in 1&2nd gear torque with a slight vibration. It has been getting progressively worse, but not too bad.

There is definitely a loss in torque 800-1400rpms. Its most noticeable when creeping few mph and taking off in 2nd gear.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 GLE Suspension

Hi all- So i bought an 03 GLE last summer. I know, I know. I shoulda got the SE. My problem Im sure is pretty common. My 92 Max handled better than this thing. I spent a couple bucks on new decent tires and Tokicos?? If I remember correctly that far back. I really want to make some improvements as I love the car aside from the handling and soft ride. Id like to keep the stock rims, but put on some new tires and shocks/struts etc.... Any suggestions would be dynamite. I looked over the posts of what everyone else is going with but as I am really not a car guy (Besides loving my Max's) I cant decipher whats what.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Enyce55
Hi all- So i bought an 03 GLE last summer. I know, I know. I shoulda got the SE. My problem Im sure is pretty common. My 92 Max handled better than this thing. I spent a couple bucks on new decent tires and Tokicos?? If I remember correctly that far back. I really want to make some improvements as I love the car aside from the handling and soft ride. Id like to keep the stock rims, but put on some new tires and shocks/struts etc.... Any suggestions would be dynamite. I looked over the posts of what everyone else is going with but as I am really not a car guy (Besides loving my Max's) I cant decipher whats what.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
PLENTY of reading here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html

You shouldn't have anymore questions after reading it.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:30 PM

it depends on what kind of ride your looking for. If you want a stiff ride like a pickup truck then use the tein s springs with the tokkico blue struts. It handles the corners like its on a rail, but if you hit a bump you will be feeling it. Just some input for you. Thats what i've been running for a year so far.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. Im not looking for anything too firm, as I drive alot for work and spend a ton of time in the car. I realize theres definately gonna be a tradeoff in handling and ride quality. I figure new tires and struts, maybe springs should make a pretty significant upgrade over stock. Actually I think the tires on the car now are probably worse than the ones that came on the car. My traction sucks. I also get a ton of feedback thru the steering wheel. I figure some upgrades should definately improve that. I hope??
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know of someone who is selling there turning signal sockets from their o2 max.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

tranny swap

i have an 02 nissan maxima se automatic and im lookin to change that cuz its pretty boring and i love 6 speeds so i'm looking to swap the auto tranny for a 6 speed and im wondering around how much it would cost and if its even worth it or just buy a maxima with a 6 speed tranny already.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nrthrnlites0215
i have an 02 nissan maxima se automatic and im lookin to change that cuz its pretty boring and i love 6 speeds so i'm looking to swap the auto tranny for a 6 speed and im wondering around how much it would cost and if its even worth it or just buy a maxima with a 6 speed tranny already.
Did you search at all?

It's easier to just buy a factory 6MT, unless you get the parts incredibly cheap and do the work yourself, IMO.

Search around, this has been discussed hundreds and hundreds of times.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM

I recently purchased AE headlights for 00-03 and tried installing them in my 00 SE and was unsuccessful. The bracket underneath the headlight wont allow the new AE lights to be pushed back to were they need to be. Did I receive the wrong lights or am I doing something wrong?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
I recently purchased AE headlights for 00-03 and tried installing them in my 00 SE and was unsuccessful. The bracket underneath the headlight wont allow the new AE lights to be pushed back to were they need to be. Did I receive the wrong lights or am I doing something wrong?
make sure theres nothing in the way of the light, and just push harder. its kinda a bit of work to push them all the way in. make sure its straight and use some elbow grease
Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
Can you take a picture of what exactly is hitting?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Hey guys anyone know were i can pick up the wiring harness to install the 02-03 headlights in my 00-01. I know courtesy used to sell it but i cant find it on their website thanks. You can pm me it if you want to be confidential. Thanks guys
Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 AM

Cannot believe the prices!

Well after my wreck last week I am in the process of finding a new 5th Gen. or maybe a 6th Gen. Most 5th Gen's I have found have a ton of miles on them!

I had just bought the 5th Gen. a month ago for $4200 with only 97K which I thought was a steal for a 2000 Maxima SE- NO LEATHER, NO BOSE, NO SUNROOF, NO 17's. It needed nothing had new tires and just went though nissan service.........YES I AM BUMMED......WELL PISSED MORE LIKE IT

I just found one on ebay for $6800.....WOW!!!

I am keeping my fingers crossed to find another deal...... Hoping this guys insurance wants to settle fast!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by larryg

It's just a quick little rattle (and flicker) like it needs to build pressure for a hydraulic cam chain tensioner. It also only does it if the car has been sitting a few hours. That's why I was thinking the oil filter (or something similar) is allowing the system to bleed down over time.
Mine has done the since I got the car in November '07. Now has 150,300 miles (give or take a few) and neither issue (the start up rattle or oil light flicker after driving the car and it being off a while) has worsened.

I am using oil filters (including trying the OEM) with anti-drainback valves.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 PM

I'm not a noob here but I don't think thiis question is worth a thread. I want to know what LED bulbs do I need for sidemarker lights for a 2000 max.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
I'm not a noob here but I don't think thiis question is worth a thread. I want to know what LED bulbs do I need for sidemarker lights for a 2000 max.
the bulb number is 194, but for future reference, you can use this website to get any bulb number.. for any car..

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm
Old 05-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
Do you mean the vias activator? The thing circled in red?

No I'm talking about the IACV (Idle Auto-control valve) in fact it's a small tp to countrol the IDLE when the Trottle is closed ( TPS = 0%)

Is somebody have a TB assy with all sensor for sale?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

CEL, cut-off while driving at 5k+

I am looking at a 2000 Maxima SE, 5spd. While driving the car, it pulled smooth until just after 5k, then the car sputtered like it was hitting a rev-limiter. Car has a CEL and I took it to Autoz one to run the codes. Came back as a poss crankshaft sensor. Would this cause the sputter issue? It also didn't turn over on on the first turn after parking it for afew mins waiting for the codes, but let it sit for a second, then it fired right up. Also, the previous owner told me that the clutch had been replaced about 900 miles ago, but it slipped under hard acceleration. My brother told me that it may just need to be bled.

SOrry for the long post!

TIA
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mild83
I am looking at a 2000 Maxima SE, 5spd. While driving the car, it pulled smooth until just after 5k, then the car sputtered like it was hitting a rev-limiter. Car has a CEL and I took it to Autoz one to run the codes. Came back as a poss crankshaft sensor. Would this cause the sputter issue? It also didn't turn over on on the first turn after parking it for afew mins waiting for the codes, but let it sit for a second, then it fired right up. Also, the previous owner told me that the clutch had been replaced about 900 miles ago, but it slipped under hard acceleration. My brother told me that it may just need to be bled.

SOrry for the long post!

TIA
Air in the clutch lines would cause an issue with disengagement, not engagement. An improperly adjusted pedal would, though.

A CKPS could indeed cause issues like that. More likely, it would cause issues constantly instead of at a specific RPM, but sometimes it can cause odd problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
Air in the clutch lines would cause an issue with disengagement, not engagement. An improperly adjusted pedal would, though.

A CKPS could indeed cause issues like that. More likely, it would cause issues constantly instead of at a specific RPM, but sometimes it can cause odd problems.

Is there any other major issues that could cause the sputtering? I am pretty sure that I am going to throw an offer on the car, and just don't want to get into anything major.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 01 Maxima. well hmm. its been a loong road of probs wit this car. gosh. 1st the Revolution sensor was bad. changed it. Well now when you punch it, the car will haul *** until about 3000rpm and it will be like(if ya are familiar with vtec in a honda) backwards vtec. Omg it will slam ur *** forward. lol If u sit in nuetral and floor it., it bogs down bad at like 2800. and when u punch it i will get stuck at 4500rpms and wont shift unless u let off. Please Please help me out. My pregnant wife almost got hit by a semi cuz she couldnt go the other day. Help me out. Thanks guys. Sorry for this long post.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had a '02 Maxima for a couple years now. I purchased the vehicle at 40,000 miles and just crossed over 72,000 miles. When should I change the transmission fluid? I noticed some slipping in the 2-3 gear when it is cold out, but have been told this is a common problem with the '02 Maxima. Any suggestions?

On a similar note. I just had to have all the brakes replaced... Rotors and calipers, front and rear. Is this a common issue?

Are there any other issues I should be expecting with this vehicle in the near future? Any common problems? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jstnseg
I have a 01 Maxima. well hmm. its been a loong road of probs wit this car. gosh. 1st the Revolution sensor was bad. changed it. Well now when you punch it, the car will haul *** until about 3000rpm and it will be like(if ya are familiar with vtec in a honda) backwards vtec. Omg it will slam ur *** forward. lol If u sit in nuetral and floor it., it bogs down bad at like 2800. and when u punch it i will get stuck at 4500rpms and wont shift unless u let off. Please Please help me out. My pregnant wife almost got hit by a semi cuz she couldnt go the other day. Help me out. Thanks guys. Sorry for this long post.
I'de start by replacing the MAF sensor.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ran into a problem with 2000 5speed maxima se I go to start the car it just rolls over and nothing after sometime of doing this it will start but everytime I turn the car off it does this. Im assuming its a spark or fuel issue any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
I'de start by replacing the MAF sensor.
Do you think if i unplug it while its runnin and see what happens if it can hurt it or even tel me it thats the prob. Cuts its so bad and right now my truck and my civic are both down and its our only transportation. I was on my way to work this morn and the same thing again. 18 wheeler was comin at me fast and i couldnt go no where. lol. it sucks. thanks for the input though.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Do you think if i unplug it while its runnin and see what happens if it can hurt it or even tel me it thats the prob. Cuts its so bad and right now my truck and my civic are both down and its our only transportation. I was on my way to work this morn and the same thing again. 18 wheeler was comin at me fast and i couldnt go no where. lol. it sucks. thanks for the input though.
If you disconnect it, it will not allow your motor to go over 2800-3000 rpm I believe.

Any codes?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
If you disconnect it, it will not allow your motor to go over 2800-3000 rpm I believe.

Any codes?
yea i jus tried that. lol. It has the same symptoms though. I think i found my problem. lol. but its not cheap
Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
No more Maximas...

yea i jus tried that. lol. It has the same symptoms though. I think i found my problem. lol. but its not cheap
A brand new updated MAF is only ~$80 from Nissan, so it's not too bad.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ghostofnyc
Ran into a problem with 2000 5speed maxima se I go to start the car it just rolls over and nothing after sometime of doing this it will start but everytime I turn the car off it does this. Im assuming its a spark or fuel issue any help would be appreciated.
^^^^ can anyone help? please
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
A brand new updated MAF is only ~$80 from Nissan, so it's not too bad.
WHOA WHOA WHOA i jus called ahd they said like 400$ what is the part number on that part. cuz man. thats way better. Thanks though. I think its us a problem part that nissan never fixed.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
No more Maximas...

WHOA WHOA WHOA i jus called ahd they said like 400$ what is the part number on that part. cuz man. thats way better. Thanks though. I think its us a problem part that nissan never fixed.
Just call up Dave B, he'll know what I'm talking about.

Before you ask who/how/why, search.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghostofnyc
It could be a bad fuel pump or dirty filter also it could be a bad cranksensor. Replace the cranksensor first and see if it helps as its a 60 dollar part you can get at autozone and is same exact part as oem only cheaper. Hey see if you can get your car scanned for codes as sometimes it might not make the check engine or service engine lights come on.

Last edited by SuperStasiu; 05-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM

http://www.courtesyparts.com/mass-ai...ml?cPath=1956&

But like the other guy said call Dave B since he can get it for 80 bucks
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 AM

ECU tuners

Where can I find tuners that can adjust the ECU settings on the Maxima?

Also will a programmer void my warranty or are they not allowed to do that?

Last edited by grv575; 05-13-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 GLE 110k miles.

i was just driving along and all of a sudden no jerk or bump, and i am just holding stead on the gas but not going anywhere. just revving up as if it were in neutral. so i rev higher and then around 4k it "grabs" and starts to go again but doesn't shift into next gear. i click and unclick over drive does the same thing. so i park to the side put it in "park". go back into drive and i am able to drive again but it won't shift until around 4-5k rpm. otherwise everything rides and drives fine.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread