5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 AM

I'm having a weird thing happening with my passenger-side window. When I hit the auto-up, it closes, and then reopens 4-5 inches. I can close it all the way by holding the switch partway, so it's not the end of the world, but my wife is getting annoyed with it. Any ideas? Is it an easy fix?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Little John
I'm having a weird thing happening with my passenger-side window. When I hit the auto-up, it closes, and then reopens 4-5 inches. I can close it all the way by holding the switch partway, so it's not the end of the world, but my wife is getting annoyed with it. Any ideas? Is it an easy fix?
See my post above about searching.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...back-down.html
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have searched this forum for my issue some threads come close to answering my question but then other things come into play that don't help me at all.. here is my issue:
2002 Maxima, auto headliht feature is enabled. turn off the car walk into home, hour later lights are still on. ( I don't have automatic, remote starter, I don't have any other items in the car. the car is totally stock. The dome lights turn off after a few minutes after I left the car, all the doors are closed and locke, but the lights are still on. )

I have learned that it might, MIGHT, be a relay issue. If so which one and where is it so that I can replace it and continue to enjoy my car. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Little John
Just did this fix last night!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 PM

My release bearing is gone, figured i may as well do clutch while she is apart. I am going to go with 350Z clutch. Any specific year of 350Z clutch i should be ordering? I'm assuming a 2003 350Z clutch will bolt straight up to my 2003 maxima no problem?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2001 Maxima with about 75K miles. The AC recently stopped working. It blows air that I'd said is cooler than air temp, but on a hot day, it doesn't really cool off the car.

Are the odds decent that it's just going to be a recharge that fixes this or if a recharge is needed, typically, there's a leak too that needs to be fixed?

Still could be compressor or something real expensive too?

I really have no idea and it's not really something I know anything about, so I just want to make sure when I take it in, I can validate some of what the shop tells me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by lexluthor
I have a 2001 Maxima with about 75K miles. The AC recently stopped working. It blows air that I'd said is cooler than air temp, but on a hot day, it doesn't really cool off the car.

Are the odds decent that it's just going to be a recharge that fixes this or if a recharge is needed, typically, there's a leak too that needs to be fixed?

Still could be compressor or something real expensive too?

I really have no idea and it's not really something I know anything about, so I just want to make sure when I take it in, I can validate some of what the shop tells me.

Thanks in advance.
There is no way to tell what the problem is or the cost to correct your problem but you can check the pressure in the system and recharge it yourself. It's not hard to do.

The system is supposed to hold 1.32 to 1.54 pounds of refrigerant. Check the system with a gauge to see if your system is within this range. If it isn't then put some refrigerant in the system and see if you notice any difference in performance of the AC system. You can buy recharge kits at your local auto parts store.

Check the pressure after some usage periodically to see if it maintains the proper pressure. If the system cools the car more effectively then you've found the problem. If the pressure drops over time and the AC becomes less effective then you've got a leak somewhere that is letting coolant escape.

You'll have to take your car to a shop to find a leak unless it is audible or visible to the naked eye. A technician will put dye in the system or use something that can detect freon leakage if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Teddie18; 07-03-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Teddie18
The system is supposed to hold 1.32 to 1.54 pounds of refrigerant. Check the system with a gauge to see if your system is within this range. If it isn't then put some refrigerant in the system and see if you notice any difference in performance of the AC system. Check the pressure after some usage periodically to see if it maintains the proper pressure. If the system cools the car more effectively initially then you've narrowed down the problem. If the pressure drops over time and the AC becomes less effective then you've got a leak somewhere that is letting coolant escape.
FWIW a gauge set can't tell you how much refrigerant is in the system by weight.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
FWIW a gauge set can't tell you how much refrigerant is in the system by weight.
You're right. Shows you how long ago I've done this. My bad.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 PM

So how can I tell how much refrigerant is in the system, and how much is needed? Since I am in he similar situation as lexluthor.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by nos879
So how can I tell how much refrigerant is in the system, and how much is needed? Since I am in he similar situation as lexluthor.
You need to hookup a manifold pressure test set. If the pressures are good, you have enough refrigerant. Those cheap gauges that come with the refrigerant are crap.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM

ma rear stock woofer is blown and i want to change it with out changing amps and everything. can someone tell me what kind of speaker it is or another kind that will work with out me doing any special modifications.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by embitious
ma rear stock woofer is blown and i want to change it with out changing amps and everything. can someone tell me what kind of speaker it is or another kind that will work with out me doing any special modifications.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...oseSubSpkR.htm

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...01-maxima.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...subwoofer.html

Lots of reading about this problem if you utilize the 'search' feature.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by embitious
If you've got a 2000; http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-maxima.html
Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 AM

it seems like all these links send me to pages where one has a problem with their rear woofer but mines works but its blown and is in need of replacement. Does anyone know the woofer name or another kind that will work with the boss amp.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:02 AM

Perhaps another bose woofer? ...
If you dont want one of those, go to a store and research their woofers. Some should have compatibility with the bose amp.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Genral Questions about 2002 se!?!?!?

First off i'm new here, so I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how i should either get a new ecu or re-program it. Just so i can add horesepower and help my MPG. Also how should i replace my exhuast. Should i replace the whole pipe?!?!? I dont want it crazy loud but i do want improved horse power and it to help with a new cold air intake. Also my Dashboard cluster is all messed up and to order a new one from Nissan is like $800 bones!!! None of the junkyards around here carry one for the 6spd...any suggestions??? Oh and last question, is there any meets coming up around the D.C area any time soon?!?!?!?

Hit me up on car domian!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3024731

Last edited by 02MAXJC23; 07-06-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 02MAXJC23
First off i'm new here, so I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how i should either get a new ecu or re-program it. Just so i can add horesepower and help my MPG. Also how should i replace my exhuast. Should i replace the whole pipe?!?!? I dont want it crazy loud but i do want improved horse power and it to help with a new cold air intake. Oh and last question, is there any meets coming up around the D.C area any time soon?!?!?!?
Have you searched for any of this? Search, and you'll find all of your answers.

For replacing the exhaust, it's up to you, your personal decision. Personally I would go with Cattman for the entirety of it.

For DC area meets, have you checked DCMAX yet?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

I have a '01 Max SE with 147, 000 miles. The CEL came on again after replacing the B2S2 O2 Sensor, this time the codes that popped were P0120 (Throttle Position Sensor) and P0460 (Fuel Level Sensor). Will one of these codes maksk the other or cause it to pop? Trying to attack this in a logical manner, any suggestions on the first step(s)? Thank you for your assistance.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by jmehaff
I have a '01 Max SE with 147, 000 miles. The CEL came on again after replacing the B2S2 O2 Sensor, this time the codes that popped were P0120 (Throttle Position Sensor) and P0460 (Fuel Level Sensor). Will one of these codes maksk the other or cause it to pop? Trying to attack this in a logical manner, any suggestions on the first step(s)? Thank you for your assistance.

Jeff
Unlikely. Clear the codes, see if they come back.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need help with electrical issue, when I turn my headlights on my dash light,radio light and the window switch lights on the front doors do not work. any suggestions
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by rowdyfloyd
I need help with electrical issue, when I turn my headlights on my dash light,radio light and the window switch lights on the front doors do not work. any suggestions
Are we to assume that you've checked the dimmer switch?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Can i put an aftermarket exhaust on a 2002 gle? Every one ive found can only go on the se.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by YoungLee
Can i put an aftermarket exhaust on a 2002 gle? Every one ive found can only go on the se.
...yes.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 PM

...yes.
Right on, do you happen to know where a good place would be? Id rather not go the ebay route. I also like the double tip. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
No more Maximas...

Right on, do you happen to know where a good place would be? Id rather not go the ebay route. I also like the double tip. Thanks.
It all depends on what you want.

Search and listen to various exhausts, then pick which you want.

It's not that hard to find sound clips. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Personally I say go Cattman 3". Makes good power, but is also very loud.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM

It all depends on what you want.

Search and listen to various exhausts, then pick which you want.

It's not that hard to find sound clips. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Personally I say go Cattman 3". Makes good power, but is also very loud.
Thanks again. Does greddy not make one for an auto gle? I really like the dual tip, im having a hard time finding where some are sold, for the gle.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks again. Does greddy not make one for an auto gle? I really like the dual tip, im having a hard time finding where some are sold, for the gle.
There's no point in being hung up on the trim level as you are. It's completely irrelevant.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM

There's no point in being hung up on the trim level as you are. It's completely irrelevant.
Not completely, I've seen plenty that said for the se only.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
No more Maximas...

Not completely, I've seen plenty that said for the se only.
Okay then. If you say so.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Just got a '00 SE auto, already changed one coil pack, all plugs, air filter and oil. I notice that from a stop, the car doesn't have a lot of power right off the line. Is that just a characteristic of the engine because it has plenty after it gets up to 1k or so rpm's. I just got out of a V8 F150 so I am used to having lots of low end power off idle. I just need to know if it could be a problem or its just normal. The mil lamp is not on so there are no codes being thrown, thanks!

Great forum btw!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having a problem with my 2002 GLE, As of late the car the battery hasnt been staying charged, after I get it jumped it would start to run, and then into my trip, it would just die out. I initially thought it was the alternator, went to autozone, they did there alternator and starter test, they said both were fine, i get a new battery pop it in car starts fine. I start to drive home, and car seems to be running fine, so i give it step on the gas hard and the car loses power and the TCS and ABS lights (no SLIP light) the car start to flash as the car seems to start losing power and has a stuttering idle, with the TCS and ABS lights flashing.

Wanted some ideas on what could be causing the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I have a question. I have an 03 SE/TE, with the bose system in it. Everything seems to work find except for when i use the cd player (and not even ALL the time) but the drivers side speaker sounds muffled, almost blown, but it works fine when i listen to the radio, or my ipod thru the tape deck.
Has any one else encountered this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it.

And why cant i post new threads? do i have to wait a certain amount of time before i can?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by erika31
So I have a question. I have an 03 SE/TE, with the bose system in it. Everything seems to work find except for when i use the cd player (and not even ALL the time) but the drivers side speaker sounds muffled, almost blown, but it works fine when i listen to the radio, or my ipod thru the tape deck.
Has any one else encountered this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it.
Did you search?

Search 'bose cd left speaker', you'll find all sorts of relevant threads. The HU is crap, basically.

Originally Posted by erika31
And why cant i post new threads? do i have to wait a certain amount of time before i can?
Again, if you search: http://forums.maxima.org/feedback-su...rt-thread.html

Search before asking any question, and 99% of the time you'll find your answer without having to post a new thread. This is part of the reason the post count limit exists, so newbies don't come on here and start making threads about topics that have been beaten to death.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by BRETT65
Just got a '00 SE auto, already changed one coil pack, all plugs, air filter and oil. I notice that from a stop, the car doesn't have a lot of power right off the line. Is that just a characteristic of the engine because it has plenty after it gets up to 1k or so rpm's. I just got out of a V8 F150 so I am used to having lots of low end power off idle. I just need to know if it could be a problem or its just normal. The mil lamp is not on so there are no codes being thrown, thanks!

Great forum btw!
Coming from the off-idle torque of a V8, it's no wonder you don't find it to have 'a lot of power' at low RPMs.

But without some actual numbers, there's no way to tell whether your butt dyno is expecting V8 style torque delivery, or if there is an actual problem with your car.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 AM

to change the oil for a 2001 maxima, is a 14mm the size I need to undo the bolt?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

CEL

I have an 01 Maxima SE and the CEL came on around 96,500. I'm sitting at 98,200 now and I don't notice any issues? Is the CEL preset to come on at a certain mileage? Thanks in advance to whomever answers this.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nos879
to change the oil for a 2001 maxima, is a 14mm the size I need to undo the bolt?
Yes (as with most Nissans, actually).

Originally Posted by shadow max
I have an 01 Maxima SE and the CEL came on around 96,500. I'm sitting at 98,200 now and I don't notice any issues? Is the CEL preset to come on at a certain mileage? Thanks in advance to whomever answers this.
No, it's not 'preset to come on'.

Why are you ignoring what the car is trying to tell you? Seriously, go get the codes pulled.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello every one Please HELP!!! Please HELP!..
I been reading the forums for a few days now, I think is amazing what you guys have done/created thanks to all of you.I have a 03 Se Maxima I recently got into an accident and need to replace the (K frame) no idea what this is …as well the rad bumper and bumper cover I was wondering where can I get some instruction on how to do this , I don’t have any pictures at this moment but I’m in love with my car and don’t want to selIit,,,,,,,,I know is a big job …but I have some time as per now I’m driving my old saab..i have located some of the parts hood and bumper but I need guidance’s (pictures/videos) Also I know is a 5th gen so can I swap the breaks/wheels and others parts from any 5th gen??? 00-03
…..THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH. From a Maxima friend
Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MaximaMas
Hello every one Please HELP!!! Please HELP!..
I been reading the forums for a few days now, I think is amazing what you guys have done/created thanks to all of you.I have a 03 Se Maxima I recently got into an accident and need to replace the (K frame) no idea what this is …as well the rad bumper and bumper cover I was wondering where can I get some instruction on how to do this , I don’t have any pictures at this moment but I’m in love with my car and don’t want to selIit,,,,,,,,I know is a big job …but I have some time as per now I’m driving my old saab..i have located some of the parts hood and bumper but I need guidance’s (pictures/videos) Also I know is a 5th gen so can I swap the breaks/wheels and others parts from any 5th gen??? 00-03
…..THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH. From a Maxima friend
What do you mean by 'k frame'?

The FSM covers R&R of all the front end components.

Or if you search, it's been covered several times as well.

As for parts compatibility, again, search. Though I don't see why you'd want to downgrade to any 5th gen parts (as you have a 5.5). But yes, 90% of the parts interchange for the A33/A33B.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread