5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 maxima bose radio display is blank

Hi , newb here. '01 maxima gle w/ bose radio works great. just can't see anything. display is totally blank. pulled it out of dash, wiring looks fine. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
G.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MY sister drives a 2000 Max GLE and yesterday it had some major issues and i had to go pick her and the car up.. when i drove it, i didn't hear any of the noises she was talking about but noticed that even when i floored the car all the way, the RPM goes up slowly and the speed picks up VERY slowly as if it only had like 50hp..

Took it to autozone today to check codes and it had these 3..

*P1320

Ignition Signal
Probable Causes
1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Failed power transistor unit
3. Failed ignition ballast resistor
4. Cam position sensor failure

*P0300
Random Cylinder Misfire
Probable Causes
1. Ignition system fault
2. Fuel system concern
3. Large Vacuum leak
4. MAF sensor fault
5. AF/Ho2S sensor fault

*P0720
Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Fault
Probable Causes
1.) Open or short circuit condition
2.) Failed vehicle speed sensor

Is there a way i can go and check some of these issues out at home before taking it to a shop? if so how? also, what estimate should i get for getting these things repaired if not DIY? (im a moderate skilled DIYer as i drive a lightly modded Acura TL)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm not allowed to make my own thread yet..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NoLimitDeC; 05-31-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Hey there. My '02 GLE has an issue where it has a dead motor fan on one of the fans in the ac fan assembly. I was wondering if there are any guides on how to remove this assembly properly?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by NoLimitDeC
MY sister drives a 2000 Max GLE and yesterday it had some major issues and i had to go pick her and the car up.. when i drove it, i didn't hear any of the noises she was talking about but noticed that even when i floored the car all the way, the RPM goes up slowly and the speed picks up VERY slowly as if it only had like 50hp..

Took it to autozone today to check codes and it had these 3..

*P1320

Ignition Signal
Probable Causes
1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Failed power transistor unit
3. Failed ignition ballast resistor
4. Cam position sensor failure

*P0300
Random Cylinder Misfire
Probable Causes
1. Ignition system fault
2. Fuel system concern
3. Large Vacuum leak
4. MAF sensor fault
5. AF/Ho2S sensor fault

*P0720
Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Fault
Probable Causes
1.) Open or short circuit condition
2.) Failed vehicle speed sensor

Is there a way i can go and check some of these issues out at home before taking it to a shop? if so how? also, what estimate should i get for getting these things repaired if not DIY? (im a moderate skilled DIYer as i drive a lightly modded Acura TL)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm not allowed to make my own thread yet..

Thanks in advance.
The first two problems appear to be known issues that are common to 5th generation Maximas. Number one, replace the ignition coils. If they don't have grey dots on them they are most likely the culprit for the P1320. Number two, the MAF in Maximas is prone to failure. Replace it with a new one. I wouldn't attempt to clean it. The film on the electrode is very sensitive and can be easily damaged even when using MAF cleaner.

Search the site and I'm sure you'll find numerous comments about each concern.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by cleanfil
Hey there. My '02 GLE has an issue where it has a dead motor fan on one of the fans in the ac fan assembly. I was wondering if there are any guides on how to remove this assembly properly?
You do know the second fan only turns on when the engine temp is hot and/or your AC is running, correct?

To remove, you just remove a few cheap plastic fasteners, disconnect electrical plugs, and remove.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Thank you VQPOWER. I have removed them and one of my fans would not spin at all. Just ordered an aftermarket one. Thank you very much.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cleanfil
Thank you VQPOWER. I have removed them and one of my fans would not spin at all. Just ordered an aftermarket one. Thank you very much.
No problem. Did you happen connect the battery directly to the fan harness to verify the fan as in-op?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 Maxima Check Engine Light

I recently bought an 02 Maxima SE back in January and it had limited driving use being a 3rd car until this month. Just recently in the past week I was driving home and the check engine light came on. Btw the car has 53300 miles. I went to the closest AutoZone to get the device that checks what's wrong with the car. The code came out to be P0011 which said something about the camshaft actuator sensor or both were bad. Does anyone know anything about this, or even how to fix it. I was wondering if it is a do it yourself fix or would I have to take it to my mechanic?

Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Maxima96SE
I recently bought an 02 Maxima SE back in January and it had limited driving use being a 3rd car until this month. Just recently in the past week I was driving home and the check engine light came on. Btw the car has 53300 miles. I went to the closest AutoZone to get the device that checks what's wrong with the car. The code came out to be P0011 which said something about the camshaft actuator sensor or both were bad. Does anyone know anything about this, or even how to fix it. I was wondering if it is a do it yourself fix or would I have to take it to my mechanic?

Thanks!!
Did you search at all?

First, check your oil level.

Second, search and read through the threads concerning this code...

To get you started: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...p-sensors.html

Has the recall been done for the CKPS/CPS'?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 AM

2002 sparkplug change question

changing sparkplugs on a 2002 Maxima, can you reuse the intake manifold gasket or do you replace??
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by raaizin
changing sparkplugs on a 2002 Maxima, can you reuse the intake manifold gasket or do you replace??
It's reusable, assuming it isn't damaged.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM

could somebody show me the location of the TCM please?

im getting my transmission scanned coz "A/T CHECK" is flashing and i dont want the shop people to mess up my car.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by maxximaa
could somebody show me the location of the TCM please?

im getting my transmission scanned coz "A/T CHECK" is flashing and i dont want the shop people to mess up my car.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Hey I just bought an 02 Maxima SE 3.5 and my oil pan is rusted and leaking. Does anybody know if I can just change the lower oil pan or is there a problem with the upper oil pan as well.

Also, I have read about people having problems with the rear valve cover. Would this be a related issue, is it close to the oil pan??
Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Hey I just bought an 02 Maxima SE 3.5 and my oil pan is rusted and leaking. Does anybody know if I can just change the lower oil pan or is there a problem with the upper oil pan as well.

Also, I have read about people having problems with the rear valve cover. Would this be a related issue, is it close to the oil pan??
The upper oil pan is aluminum, it can't rust.

Replace (or clean up and paint) the lower pan, problem solved.

No, the rear valve cover has nothing to do with an oil pan leak (unless you're mistaking the oil dripping down from the RVC for an oil pan leak).

They generally don't leak openly anyway, they tend to leak into the spark plug tubes.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
The upper oil pan is aluminum, it can't rust.

Replace (or clean up and paint) the lower pan, problem solved.

No, the rear valve cover has nothing to do with an oil pan leak (unless you're mistaking the oil dripping down from the RVC for an oil pan leak).

They generally don't leak openly anyway, they tend to leak into the spark plug tubes.
Thank you! good to know I was reading instructions in my haynes manual and it sounded very complicated for the upper pan.

Another question, Can anybody recommend a good cold air system to install in the '02?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM

THANK YOU!!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

I have a '00 GLE in Grey Lustre and I want to swap out my red tail lights for the black ones found on the '00-'01 SE. I found these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-MAXIMA-SE-00-01-2000-2001-TAIL-LIGHT-L_W0QQitemZ300315643767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_C ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45ec350f77&_tr ksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1 318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...Q5fAccessories

Are these legit? Also, will I be able to swap these in without any modifications? It seems like the only difference between the SE and GXE/GLE lights is cosmetic. I'm not sure if the harnesses or anything are different.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ofsalesmen
I have a '00 GLE in Grey Lustre and I want to swap out my red tail lights for the black ones found on the '00-'01 SE. I found these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-MAXIMA-SE-00-01-2000-2001-TAIL-LIGHT-L_W0QQitemZ300315643767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_C ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45ec350f77&_tr ksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1 318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...Q5fAccessories

Are these legit? Also, will I be able to swap these in without any modifications? It seems like the only difference between the SE and GXE/GLE lights is cosmetic. I'm not sure if the harnesses or anything are different.
They should be a direct swap as long as they're built like the 00-01 OEM housings. The 02-03 take a different harness.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Thank you! good to know I was reading instructions in my haynes manual and it sounded very complicated for the upper pan.

Another question, Can anybody recommend a good cold air system to install in the '02?
injen is a good CAI, but i would rather get a short ram.. search around and find which would be better for you.. you can find some intakes in the classifieds
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM

If anyone has preordered the BullyDog Tripple Dog GT Gas from JEGS and get's an email that it's actually shipping out today, please confirm.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 AM

You've pretty much got two options; retrofit some projectors, or use a different headlight (such as the A33B).

HID bulbs in halogen housings is just crap, don't even think about doing that.
Ideally, I'd spring for the OEM HIDs but they're around $550 on eBay, which is over my budget. I've read up on the eBay projector retrofits--is that generally cheaper to do? I imagine you buy the halo projectors for $200 and then an HID conversion kit for around $100-150. Is this correct?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Abs sensor

Hey everybody i need a litle help. I try to remove my rear abs sensor driver side. I broke the head of the screw. Now i can't remove it the sensor. Did someone know if i remove the rotor i will be able to remove the screw. If not, did you have an other solution. Thank you !!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kjunior
Hey everybody i need a litle help. I try to remove my rear abs sensor driver side. I broke the head of the screw. Now i can't remove it the sensor. Did someone know if i remove the rotor i will be able to remove the screw. If not, did you have an other solution. Thank you !!
Pull the sensor out, get some vicegrips.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM

It's reusable, assuming it isn't damaged.

Thank You!!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM

How Long or how many miles does the Apexi Power Intake Air Filter last on the berk intake system???
Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strange conditions for MAF failure

I had my MAF sensor crap out on me under hard acceleration yesterday. I was pulling out into traffic and goosed it to stay ahead of the traffic coming up behind me. When my transmission shifted from first to second (auto), the car fell on its face (lost power) and the "Service Engine Soon," "SLIP," and "TC" lights came on, but the car continued to run with reduced power.

I pulled over and turned off the car. When I tried to restart the car, it would not run. The "SLIP," and "TC" lights were off now, but the SES light was still lit. The car would start, run rough for about three seconds and quit. I had to have the car towed.

The shop said it was showing a P0100 code. They replaced the MAF with a new Nissan unit and now it runs. The new unit had a sticker on it stating that the ECM may need updated. Is this necessary if it runs? The shop was not a Nissan dealer, so they can't update it.

The wierd conditions of the failure leave me with many questions. Why did it fail at the 1-2 shift? Why did it run until I shut it off? Why did the "SLIP," and "TC" lights come on initially?

Does anyone think there may be more problems? Tranny possibly?

The car only has 55K miles on it. I am the original owner. I bought the car new in 2001.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 Maxima check engine light

I posted on here a few days ago and I don't know what happened to my post, but anyways I bought an 02 maxima se 6 speed back in January and it was barely driven until May. Recently I was driving home and the check engine light came on. I went to AutoZone and the reader said the code was P0011 which had something to do with the camshaft actuator sensor or both even. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this and how to fix it. I would like to be able to do it myself if possible to save labor costs at my mechanic's shop.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Maxima96SE
I posted on here a few days ago and I don't know what happened to my post, but anyways I bought an 02 maxima se 6 speed back in January and it was barely driven until May. Recently I was driving home and the check engine light came on. I went to AutoZone and the reader said the code was P0011 which had something to do with the camshaft actuator sensor or both even. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this and how to fix it. I would like to be able to do it myself if possible to save labor costs at my mechanic's shop.

Thanks!
Your post is still here. It's on this very page even, not even 20 posts up. http://forums.maxima.org/7056642-post8568.html

And the answer is directly below it.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM

Pull the sensor out, get some vicegrips.
humm ok?!!? how can i remove the sensor if the screw is still in. I broke the head of the bolt. i have to put the bolt in the new sensor.

Thank you for the help
Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kjunior
humm ok?!!? how can i remove the sensor if the screw is still in. I broke the head of the bolt. i have to put the bolt in the new sensor.

Thank you for the help
Are you using 'screw' and 'bolt' interchangeably here, or are you referring to two separate things?

The only thing holding the sensor in is the head of the bolt. The sensor should just pull right off.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help my transmission problem!!

I own a 2000 Maxima GLE and about 3 months ago I had the transmission rebuilt. It was running very smoothly until about 2 weeks and the clutch slipped and I only had first gear. The car shifts fine when the engine is cold but once it warms up, the car doesn't shift up. The shop that rebuilt my transmission has had it for almost two weeks now and they have replaced the torque converter, which didn't solve the problem, and now they are replacing the clutch now. I think it's the revolution sensor but I need some professional or experienced opinions to help me out.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited by Vicky852; 06-03-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 PM

My car has rubbing sound when the wheels are rolling..like metal rubbing against something..it's coming from the front..like in the middle. i replaced my CV joints 1 year ago..any idea what might be the problem?

Last edited by Bl_asd1; 06-03-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Vicky852
I own a 2000 Maxima GLE and about 3 months I had the transmission rebuilt. It was running very smoothly until about 2 weeks and the clutch slipped and I only had first gear. The car shifts fine when the engine is cold but once it warms up, the car doesn't shift up. The shop that rebuilt my transmission has had it for almost two weeks now and they have replaced the torque converter, which didn't solve the problem, and now they are replacing the clutch now. I think it's the revolution sensor but I need some professional or experienced opinions to help me out.

Thanks very much in advance!
What specifically makes you think it's the revolution sensor?

FWIW:

The first two I'd look at for this as a heat-related issue are the solenoids and the valve body. Assuming it's not a TCM problem, that is.

Does it do it just when you're in drive? What if you put the shifter in the 2nd gear position?

Have you checked for trans codes? It could very well be telling you what the problem is, you're just not looking.

Originally Posted by Bl_asd1
My car has rubbing sound when the wheels are rolling..like metal rubbing against something..it's coming from the front..like in the middle. i replaced my CV joints 1 year ago..any idea what might be the problem?
Have you checked the splash shields behind the rotors?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM

okay my 2001 max is getting really bad mpg is there anything i can do to fix this or test it idk if its me but im almost at half tank and i only drove it for about 110 miles...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by xshadow715
okay my 2001 max is getting really bad mpg is there anything i can do to fix this or test it idk if its me but im almost at half tank and i only drove it for about 110 miles...
Have you searched, read all of the (about a million) MPG threads, and followed all of the suggestions?

If not, do so. This question comes up very often.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What specifically makes you think it's the revolution sensor?

FWIW:

The first two I'd look at for this as a heat-related issue are the solenoids and the valve body. Assuming it's not a TCM problem, that is.

Does it do it just when you're in drive? What if you put the shifter in the 2nd gear position?

Have you checked for trans codes? It could very well be telling you what the problem is, you're just not looking.

Have you checked the splash shields behind the rotors?
I just had a hunch it was a sensor because this car is filled with them, there's always one to replace, and after the mechanical parts checked out fine it had to be something else. I actually got it back from the mechanic tonight, and he said he replaced the sensor. I had a bad torque converter and it burned out the sensor which caused the loss of shifting ability.

I do have another question though... My bose back speaker sounds blown. I've removed the speaker but have no clue how to repair it or if it's even possible to repair... I need some help
Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Have you searched, read all of the (about a million) MPG threads, and followed all of the suggestions?

If not, do so. This question comes up very often.
ill search it up but is that mpg normal? it only has 90k miles on it and ive never owned a v6 before lol

edit* i searched everything but idk if i found anything but also once and a while i get a really nasty smell whne i put it in park and it smells like rotten eggs i know its not from the exaust cause it smells normal and i just checked im on a half tankk and i drovei t for 110 miles.. thats like 11mpg i just bought the car a week ago =[ i need help bad.

Last edited by xshadow715; 06-03-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM

Rotten egg smell is usually a bad cat as far as I know. Not sure what else it could be...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by nebojsa_o
Rotten egg smell is usually a bad cat as far as I know. Not sure what else it could be...
how can i test it? and is it an easy repair??

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread