5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well im having my o2 sensor replaced in the rear and i believe the sensor is just going bad. My SES light came on and goes off every so often. everytime it does come on i get the 02 sensor reading. Ive heard somethings about when these sensors get replaced, it usually causes another one to think its going bad, possibly causing your ses to come on again. I havent gotten my car back yet but i thats really all the info i have on that.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mng1985@
My SES light has been on for a while now but every now and then when it will stay off for the first 10 miles or so after I've started the car. I hooked it up to the computer and it showed codes P1147 and a P0158. I realize that these are the two downstream O2 sensors but I'm wondering if I may have a legitimate issue or if the the sensors are just broken and I should replace them. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance...
Well, I think you do have a legitimate issue; you keep getting codes. Have you done a search on the site to see if someone else has experienced the same problem and what they have done?

Otherwise, you could just replace the sensors and see if that corrects your problem.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BlackEnigma
00 Max, about 135000 miles. Engine codes P0139 and P0430. Is there a way to check if the catalyst converter is bad without replacing O2 sensors? What are the consequences of not replacing the Catalyst Converter if its bad? Are there any consequences of not replacing O2 sensors if they are bad? I know I can't pass emissions, but I don't have to go again for a while. I am so strapped for money. I just had to replace the axles because of the terrible condition of both cV boots. I am slightly concerned as I have to drive over 700 miles from my home in Maryland to my school in Alabama this weekend. Tell me I am not endangering my life.

what i know of catalytic converters you wouldn't be endangering your life but you may endanger the life of the car slightly. what will most likely happen though is your car will start to run rough then cease running at all. once the catalytic converter gets plugged it doesn't allow the car to exhaust gases properly and without exhaust it will just shut down.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by aone2k5
I have searched this forum and i havent found a direct answer for my question. Point me to a thread if necc.

I have a 2000 Maxima se with cloth seats in it. I have felt and noticed some type of plug underneath the seat before but never paid too much attention. someone is selling the power seats out of a 2000 I30 and I wanted to know if the maxima would be able to just plug and play into the I30's seats.

The maximas seats are cloth but like i said there is some sort of plug with a white end under the seat. Im currently having the air compressor replaced so i wont be able to look at the car until after 5 today, but if anyone has done this or seen this done could you be a life saver and enlighten me. Thank you
I was reading a thread this morning about this and your question has been answered. I believe the car comes prewired but I'm not 100% sure. I can't remember the title of the thread. I'm sure if you search a little more you'll find your answer.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

have stock rims for 00max where r u from
Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey im having the same problems did u ever find out what has caused your issues
Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WILL CRANK BUT WONT START

I am new here so thank you in advance of any assistance that you guys can offer.I have a 2000 Maxima i brought the car about a year ago from a friend. the car had sat for some time because the trans was sliiping. i had a hard time gettin it started but finally got it home since then i replace the trans. had a hard time gettting it started again. notice it had a rough idle and found a bad coil. replace and the car ran perfect for about 20 min. it then shut off and and will crank but wont start. it seem like the timming is off bc the is some backfire trough the intake. ive replace both cranksensors, camsensor,sparkplugs and nothing works i check the fuel pressure and its good. the secrity light blinks when the key isnt in the ignitiion and is off when im cranking. the weirdest thing that has just happend is that i changed the oil and there was more gas then oil in im completely stumped and cant figure this out any one who has a suggestion or an idea im willing to listen and try any thing

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by aharris
I am new here so thank you in advance of any assistance that you guys can offer.I have a 2000 Maxima i brought the car about a year ago from a friend. the car had sat for some time because the trans was sliiping. i had a hard time gettin it started but finally got it home since then i replace the trans. had a hard time gettting it started again. notice it had a rough idle and found a bad coil. replace and the car ran perfect for about 20 min. it then shut off and and will crank but wont start. it seem like the timming is off bc the is some backfire trough the intake. ive replace both cranksensors, camsensor,sparkplugs and nothing works i check the fuel pressure and its good. the secrity light blinks when the key isnt in the ignitiion and is off when im cranking. the weirdest thing that has just happend is that i changed the oil and there was more gas then oil in im completely stumped and cant figure this out any one who has a suggestion or an idea im willing to listen and try any thing
Did you investigate the reason there's so much fuel in the oil?

Have you checked the injectors, both electrically and watching for leaks/spray pattern?

Are you getting spark?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 PM

I have the 2001 and I was working on the ABS light problem and I disconnected E9 to check the signal. Now my speedometer reads about 1/2 the speed. I reconnected the plug and cleaned the surface and it seemed to be improve it but it's still not right, anyone have this problem???
Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 Maxima Pre Purchase stage

moved to other thread

Last edited by Captain Wes; 07-31-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy Z
I have the 2001 and I was working on the ABS light problem and I disconnected E9 to check the signal. Now my speedometer reads about 1/2 the speed. I reconnected the plug and cleaned the surface and it seemed to be improve it but it's still not right, anyone have this problem???
Replace the sensor? The speedsensor/ABS sensor are one the same.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

2001 Anniversary 70000 miles.
Got new IACV and new ECU last month. Everything was fine, but today got P0505. I disconnected battery, it disappeared but the common 3 lights came on....ABS, Slip TCS.

I did Idle Relearn, and lights off for a while, but came back on What gives??? Still runs and idles perfectly.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JoySoCute
2001 Anniversary 70000 miles.
Got new IACV and new ECU last month. Everything was fine, but today got P0505. I disconnected battery, it disappeared but the common 3 lights came on....ABS, Slip TCS.

I did Idle Relearn, and lights off for a while, but came back on What gives??? Still runs and idles perfectly.
One of your wheel sensors needs to be replaced. You will need a ABS scanner to get the correct code.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 AM

ABS Sensor

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
One of your wheel sensors needs to be replaced. You will need a ABS scanner to get the correct code.
I'd rather guess which sensor it is than give dealership $90 to tell me!! Am I wrong, there are only 2 sensors on the back wheels, right?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 AM

I'd rather guess which sensor it is than give dealership $90 to tell me!! Am I wrong, there are only 2 sensors on the back wheels, right?
There are 4 sensors, one at each wheel. The sensors can be around $120 a piece, so hopefully your "guess" is a good one.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM

There are 4 sensors, one at each wheel. The sensors can be around $120 a piece, so hopefully your "guess" is a good one.
Go on the OBD and ground pin 9, the ABS light will start flashing, the first code is 12 (one long, two shorts) the second code will be the error code, example, 31 = R.Rear sensor. Below is the link with more details.

http://www.boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/2001/br.pdf
Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Thank you...that link was helpful. But I just thought of something (probably wishful thinking).....I just got 2 new tires put on the front 2 days before ABS light came on. Could that have done something? Light is now only intermittent, not steady. I may wait and see if it clears up by itself. What do you think?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Hi everybody!
Yesterday i changed my front engine mount. I noticed that a wire was hanging. but the mechanic told me that it wasn't important. I made some research on the site but it's not specify if it's important or not. Can somebody tell me if i should worry about that and fix it?
Thank you
Junior
Old 08-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by kjunior
Hi everybody!
Yesterday i changed my front engine mount. I noticed that a wire was hanging. but the mechanic told me that it wasn't important. I made some research on the site but it's not specify if it's important or not. Can somebody tell me if i should worry about that and fix it?
Thank you
Junior
Wire hanging from where, the mount? The mounts are electronically controlled.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 PM

Thank you...that link was helpful. But I just thought of something (probably wishful thinking).....I just got 2 new tires put on the front 2 days before ABS light came on. Could that have done something? Light is now only intermittent, not steady. I may wait and see if it clears up by itself. What do you think?
You can still try reading the code. stick a paper clip in pin 9 and ground it, then start reading the flashes. look on that service manual link to see what's causing the light.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by kjunior
Hi everybody!
Thank you
Junior
they have a wire because it is electronically controlled,it adjusts firmness based on engine speed and vehicle speed. In other words it is to have a very comfort ride minimizing the vibrations. For me it is important.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks again.....I will try that and see what I get. After just spending $2000 a month ago on new IACV and ECU, am a little upset about having to spend more again so soon.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Alarm

I was reading through some of the older threads on Viper alarms. I was curious if anyone knows if it is still not possible to have progressive unlock on the Viper 5901 alarms for a 5th gen(I know on older Vipers you can't since it needs the double pulse). The equivalent Python alarm says that it does but I didn't know if this only applies to 02/03 models and not the 00/01. I read that the Xpresskit02 integrates well with '02 Maximas and up. I have a 2k 5th gen so I am guessing I am out of luck. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by aharris

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW sumthing finally works!!!!!!!!! my solutions was a simple as may hours on this site and $12 dollars for wire. the myth is true all i did is run new ground line to my tranny and starter put in new plugs and she started up after being out of commision for some time im finally relived i want to give credit to the person whose thread i got the answer from you saved a big headace and a lot of cash thank you again
Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM
'00 GLE

Former 4th gen owner, am a n00b when it comes to 5th gen

My '97 got wrecked two days ago and I'm looking into getting a 5th gen. Have spent several hours on the 5th gen forum and am still not 100% clear on the differences between each model year. I've gathered that the '00 & '01 still use a VQ30DE while the '02 & '03 use a VQ35DE? (plus there are a number of other differences between these two groups) Is there a list somewhere that goes into some detail covering the differences between each model year? (Like the one in the 4th gen FAQ's)
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BuRoJo
My '97 got wrecked two days ago and I'm looking into getting a 5th gen. Have spent several hours on the 5th gen forum and am still not 100% clear on the differences between each model year. I've gathered that the '00 & '01 still use a VQ30DE while the '02 & '03 use a VQ35DE? (plus there are a number of other differences between these two groups) Is there a list somewhere that goes into some detail covering the differences between each model year? (Like the one in the 4th gen FAQ's)
Not sure, but here are some differences:

00-01 - VQ30DE-K
02-03 - VQ35DE

00-01 - Halogen headlamps
02-03 - HID headlamps

00-01 - Red tail lamps (SE = black)
02-03 - Chrome?

00-01- SE 5 spd manual (Auto's the same) (Different shift pattern)
02-03- SE 6 spd manual

00-01 - Black gauge cluster (20th Ann- White?)
02-03 - Silver cluster

02-03 - Keyfob drivers side window control

That's all I can think of right now.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM
'00 GLE

Not sure, but here are some differences:

00-01 - VQ30DE-K
02-03 - VQ35DE

00-01 - Halogen headlamps
02-03 - HID headlamps

00-01 - Red tail lamps (SE = black)
02-03 - Chrome?

00-01- SE 5 spd manual (Auto's the same) (Different shift pattern)
02-03- SE 6 spd manual

00-01 - Black gauge cluster (20th Ann- White?)
02-03 - Silver cluster

02-03 - Keyfob drivers side window control

That's all I can think of right now.
Appreciate the quick reply, VQPOWER.

Is the VQ30DE-K the same as the 4th gen (VQ30DE) except for the variable length intake?

Also, is anyone aware of any differences in chassis/drivetrain between 4th and 5th gens? (or among different years in 5th gens)?

Last edited by BuRoJo; 08-02-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Another question
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF??

Ok, my girlfriend has a 2001 Maxima. I just serviced it (spark plugs, oil/filter, air filter, etc., etc.) and it's been running fine for the most part. Today hough the car just died while she was driving. It stops running when the throttle is let off, like you have to give it throttle to even get it started. It did this once before but after sitting for an hour or so it was fine. I had a CEL for the O2 sensor on the left bank not reading correctly, but scanned it and cleared it and hasn't come back. Then about a week ago I got a CEL for lean mixture. Once again
I cleared it after scanning and running the Pathways on it. I feel like the coverter may be stopped up or stopping up which I know will cause a car to not start, but when its running it doesn't have the tell-tell loss of power. I'm assuming it is the MAF, but I don't have a CEL for it. Any help?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF or Computer/Electrical

after replacing my battery car and having alternator check car still stalls with flashing dash lights. car is in shop now
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking for help diagnosing

After reading about 1000 post I'm still unsure what wrong with my 00 maxima. i think i narrowed it down to a few things. MAF, Coils, or Eletrical. Dash lights flash on and off before it stalls then im unable to restart the car. it has a new battery and alternator checks out fine. I'm frustrated and now looking forward to hefty car repair or having to replace the computer.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris88
After reading about 1000 post I'm still unsure what wrong with my 00 maxima. i think i narrowed it down to a few things. MAF, Coils, or Eletrical. Dash lights flash on and off before it stalls then im unable to restart the car. it has a new battery and alternator checks out fine. I'm frustrated and now looking forward to hefty car repair or having to replace the computer.
Sounds like a corroded battery cable. Do you have to jump start it to get going again?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Appreciate the quick reply, VQPOWER.

Is the VQ30DE-K the same as the 4th gen (VQ30DE) except for the variable length intake?

Also, is anyone aware of any differences in chassis/drivetrain between 4th and 5th gens? (or among different years in 5th gens)?
No. Search, and you'll find the DE-K has different cams, a different block casting for cooling, etc.

And the chassis are extremely similar between A32/A33/A33B.

Obviously the drivetrain changes a bit to the A33B, but the same in the other two.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chris88
i had a similar prob but i got no start at all on on thread here it that the car can loose its ground i grounded my whole car and it runs fine
1) run one 6 guage from the ground cable bolted under the battery to the staterbolt
2) run 4 guage wire from the bat to the tranny houseing by the wheel well ther a tiny ground wire there
3) run 6 guage wire from engine groungdto the top front motorground by the cam sensor
i got all this stuff from homedepot and auto zone for 4 guage 24" hope this helps u
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found Problem

So it turns out it WAS my alternator, battery was replaced 2 days ago, it was time for it to be replaced anyway. Its hard to get pissed at the mech. seeing he's my cousin. also the shop he works for charged 450.00 for install. didn't really have much of a choice on taking it anywhere else. other two places i go were both booked for over a week. My question is how bad did i get rolled on the install?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Thanks for both responses. This is a great site and i can see myself coming back to educate myself more on my car. Again thanks for the help
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 AM
'00 GLE

Got a '00 GLE

Originally Posted by pmohr
No. Search, and you'll find the DE-K has different cams, a different block casting for cooling, etc.

And the chassis are extremely similar between A32/A33/A33B.

Obviously the drivetrain changes a bit to the A33B, but the same in the other two.
Thanks, pmohr.

Got a great deal on a '00 GLE and will be picking it up today. I noticed on your links to FSMs that there are two for '00 ('00 and '00.5). What are the differences between them and how does one tell which is which?

B

Last edited by BuRoJo; 08-05-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi i was wondering if someone could help navigate to the info on camshafts for my car 01 maxima se
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by maxima415
hi i was wondering if someone could help navigate to the info on camshafts for my car 01 maxima se
...what info, on what cams?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
No more Maximas...

Thanks, pmohr.

Got a great deal on a '00 GLE and will be picking it up today. I noticed on your links to FSMs that there are two for '00 ('00 and '00.5). What are the differences between them and how does one tell which is which?

B
AFAICT the MY00.5 FSM was just some revisions to the regular MY00 version.

The '00 says 04/99 edition, revised 06/00.
The '00.5 says 11/99 edition, revised 01/01.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
...what info, on what cams?
info on whats available and how much horsepower i should gain

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread