5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM

Newbie with questions:

1. Is the I35 2004 a 5.5 version Maxima?
2. If I wanted to connect my iPod to the stock radio (has SAT and CD) what is the PAC number I need to KEEP my steering wheel controls of the radio?
3. Where is the fill on the automatic transmission?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ICEMAN76
Common problem for the 5 gen, real crappy design of the h/u. try the audio forum, they will help u. Search first though. Maxima.org helps those who help themselves.
Not sure what you mean by "helps those who help themselves"??? I am asking for help so I can fix the problem myself. I have seen plenty of posts from people looking for help with their stereos. someone out there must be able to give me some suggestions.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Hi, I'm new and I have a few questions. Please bear with me, cause I don't know much and I'm coming from a VW I'm picking up my 2002 SE 6MT tomorrow.

Instead of ordering a CAI, can I just take out the stock airbox and just throw on like an autozone intake on it? Will that ruin the MAF or mess with numbers or anything?

Also, where is the best place to buy lips for the car? I don't want the crazy looking lips, but like the ones that come on the 20AE. Any places that have them pre-painted?

What is the best bang for your buck performance upgrade? For my VW, it was a chip. What's a good company to get an exhaust from? I'd like a really nice sounding exhaust, nothing crazy loud or crappy sounding. A nice deep tone is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, everyone.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guy's I have a 2001 gxe 82k miles and recently when turning the car on in the morning or anytime the car's engine is cold, the rpm would jump to bout 1600 but after a few secs drop to 600 and then go bak up a little bit and back down sometimes almost to the point of turning off but only turned off like twice. after a few secs it would idle at about 1600 and stay like that . Problem never persists when engine is warm tho ? anybody kinda might have an idea what is the problem
Old 09-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by viperboy
Instead of ordering a CAI, can I just take out the stock airbox and just throw on like an autozone intake on it? Will that ruin the MAF or mess with numbers or anything?
i wouldnt buy that crap they sell at autozone. get a real one http://www.berktechnology.com/

What is the best bang for your buck performance upgrade? For my VW, it was a chip. What's a good company to get an exhaust from? I'd like a really nice sounding exhaust, nothing crazy loud or crappy sounding. A nice deep tone is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
the best performance mod would be headers...check out http://www.cattman.com/ for that plus catback

also, i suggest NWP Engineering Thermal Intake Manifold Spacers

i would suggest that you pay some attention to suspension mods as well - springs/struts, RSB, FSTB, and LTB
Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tdell5150
One day, the three speakers on right side (passenger) of the car stopped working. I checked the obvious balance and fader, but that didnt work. Is it possible the wires came loose from the head unit? If so, how do I get the face plate off, without breaking it, to remove the radio? If you dont think it is loose wires, what could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tom
This happened to me, but 2 speakers went out. I thought it was the HU since they both went out at the same time, but it was the speakers. To check this, get a multimeter and test for voltage at the connections going to the speaker.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Asia Skyly
Newbie with questions:

1. Is the I35 2004 a 5.5 version Maxima?
2. If I wanted to connect my iPod to the stock radio (has SAT and CD) what is the PAC number I need to KEEP my steering wheel controls of the radio?
3. Where is the fill on the automatic transmission?

Thanks!
1. Nope. It's a 2004 Infiniti, not Maxima. Probably same 3.5 motor though.

2. Don't got a clue.

3. You fill it through the dipstick hole.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i was told my catalytic converter was bad and so i replaced it. after i was done i took it for a test drive and after getting back home i looked at the cat. it was smoking and leaking a little water. is this something that is normal with new cats or is there possibly something wrong with my replacement?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM

What color was the smoke? What was the outside temperature? All of these are important factors to provide the proper answer. Condensation after a short, short run is NOT uncommon. Leaking at the catalytic converter is NOT normal however. Usually you see that leak at the end of the tail pipe in the form of water.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by beerguy23
so i was told my catalytic converter was bad and so i replaced it. after i was done i took it for a test drive and after getting back home i looked at the cat. it was smoking and leaking a little water. is this something that is normal with new cats or is there possibly something wrong with my replacement?
They might have put a preservative coat on the cat to prevent premature corrosion. It's prolly just burning off.....but someone else may know more.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 05 SL that I just purchased from Carmax in Southern CA. After driving it 500 miles, there is a PIT Message that displays on my screen notifying me that the oil needs to be changed. I have verified with Carmax that the oil has been recently changed, they did not reset the oil change mileage screen.

How do I reset the Oil Change mileage indicator myself?

Thank you,

Eric
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ehartmax
I have an 05 SL that I just purchased from Carmax in Southern CA. After driving it 500 miles, there is a PIT Message that displays on my screen notifying me that the oil needs to be changed. I have verified with Carmax that the oil has been recently changed, they did not reset the oil change mileage screen.

How do I reset the Oil Change mileage indicator myself?

Thank you,

Eric
You are in the wrong generation forums, but doesn't the owners manual tell you?

"Press the "maintenance" button below the "navigation screen" and make sure that you are not driving becasue it will not let you reset it. And once at the "oil change" screen, just hold the "trip reset" button for a few seconds and YOU'RE GOOD TO GO!"
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP WANTED ON 5TH GEN

Ok my 2003 maxima Gle overheated, I replaced the radiator/thermostat because they got damaged ,after that it rides perfect. But on start up it missfires and smokes a little for about 1 to 2 mininutes. And then its fine. I got the service engine light checked out, and they stated it was
a missfire from cylinder 3, after driving a few miles the miss fire code clears itself. Please Help!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Check Engine light and ABS light on

My friend has a 2002 Maxima SE (automatic) that displays both of these lights. While there does not seem to be any noticeable noise from the engine, she did say that the ABS malfunctioned on her a couple of times. It would behave as though she were braking on slick terrain when she was on dry ground. I am guessing that she has a problematic ABS computer and as for the check engine light, possibly a bad O2 sensor. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Wilson
Ok my 2003 maxima Gle overheated, I replaced the radiator/thermostat because they got damaged ,after that it rides perfect. But on start up it missfires and smokes a little for about 1 to 2 mininutes. And then its fine. I got the service engine light checked out, and they stated it was
a missfire from cylinder 3, after driving a few miles the miss fire code clears itself. Please Help!
What was the exact code, do you remember? It's probably a coil pack.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
My friend has a 2002 Maxima SE (automatic) that displays both of these lights. While there does not seem to be any noticeable noise from the engine, she did say that the ABS malfunctioned on her a couple of times. It would behave as though she were braking on slick terrain when she was on dry ground. I am guessing that she has a problematic ABS computer and as for the check engine light, possibly a bad O2 sensor. Any thoughts?
Get the codes check at autozone for free. Report back here for the fix.

ABS= Gonna have to get a diagnostic machine to find out what sensor or valve is wrong. There might be a manual way of retrieving code, but I'm not sure of the prodecure.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 PM

So I got had by a Integra on the freeway. With a big fart can on the back....Now it just seems like my engine is not making the power it should be? Mostly on the freeway I've noticed what I think to be a loss of power. I have a injen intake, and custom exhaust.
Before I had these mods installed, a late 90's Saturn kept up with my Max on the freeway, though he was behind me and we only went from 70-100ish it still felt strange. Any ideas on what I can do to make sure she is getting the power she needs and what I can do to get better freeway speed....
Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
So I got had by a Integra on the freeway. With a big fart can on the back....Now it just seems like my engine is not making the power it should be? Mostly on the freeway I've noticed what I think to be a loss of power. I have a injen intake, and custom exhaust.

Before I had these mods installed, a late 90's Saturn kept up with my Max on the freeway, though he was behind me and we only went from 70-100ish it still felt strange. Any ideas on what I can do to make sure she is getting the power she needs and what I can do to get better freeway speed....
Advance your timing to 17 degrees! You'll notice how much of a difference you get with throttle response. It should be enough to take him(them) at freeway speeds.

Tell him to race you from a stop
Old 09-29-2008, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the answers to my last post. A few more specific questions...

Performance wise, is there much of a difference between a CAI and a Short-ram (WAI)? I know there is a difference in cost, but I'm wondering if there is enough difference to justify the price. Is the POP filter the best value?

How is the Megan Racing CBE? I found it for $339 shipped and it seems like a good value, and I saw a clip of it on YouTube, but how do you guys think it sounds?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by PhalC1
Advance your timing to 17 degrees! You'll notice how much of a difference you get with throttle response. It should be enough to take him(them) at freeway speeds.

Tell him to race you from a stop
Thanks for the reply, now I just gotta find someone who can do the advanced timing on a Maxima haha.

Yeah I'm sure I'd take him from the light, but none the less...still lame he beat me..

Anyone else have any ideas on what I could do. I ordered the the thermal spacers, and headers... So that should help haha
Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Sounds like maybe you need to try the VIAS fix.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the answers to my last post. A few more specific questions...

Performance wise, is there much of a difference between a CAI and a Short-ram (WAI)? I know there is a difference in cost, but I'm wondering if there is enough difference to justify the price. Is the POP filter the best value?

How is the Megan Racing CBE? I found it for $339 shipped and it seems like a good value, and I saw a clip of it on YouTube, but how do you guys think it sounds?
Please help! I want to order my intake tonight and I don't know which one is the best bang for the buck. I like the short-rams cause they're cheap, but are there any knock-off intakes that are good and don't require cutting out that part in the engine bay and relocating the battery? The Cosmo Racing ones both look good, but is the true CAI worth it over the short-ram? Is a POP charger better? Please help soon.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 AM

I also wanted to know what OEM ***** work well with the 02 Maxima. I want something nice looking and not ricey, and my **** is a little worn. The 350z one looked nice, but I haven't seen it in a 5th gen. Is there a way to replace the whole 5th gen shifter assembly with the 350z assembly to make the shifter shorter? I really don't want to cut mine down, so is there a safe way to do that or something?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by CakeOD
Sounds like maybe you need to try the VIAS fix.
Thanks, yeah that might be something I could try, I am going to get advanced timing done at the dealership here in MN, would that be something they would also be able to do? If so any ideas on what that would cost...If not where the heck could I get that done at ?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:51 AM

I also wanted to know what OEM ***** work well with the 02 Maxima. I want something nice looking and not ricey, and my **** is a little worn. The 350z one looked nice, but I haven't seen it in a 5th gen. Is there a way to replace the whole 5th gen shifter assembly with the 350z assembly to make the shifter shorter? I really don't want to cut mine down, so is there a safe way to do that or something?
6sp?
try
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-project.html
Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
Yea, I saw that already and yes, 6MT. Thanks for the info though. Like I said, I don't want to cut it. I was hoping there was a kit or something.

Anyone have an answer to the CAI question I posted earlier?

Please help! I want to order my intake tonight and I don't know which one is the best bang for the buck. I like the short-rams cause they're cheap, but are there any knock-off intakes that are good and don't require cutting out that part in the engine bay and relocating the battery? The Cosmo Racing ones both look good, but is the true CAI worth it over the short-ram? Is a POP charger better? Please help soon.
Also, I called AutoZone, and they said they have a 45 degree 3" piece that you can plug the vacuum hose into. I know someone said the filters weren't good there, but if I got a K&N and just got the 45 degree piece, could I do it that way? Thanks
Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Yea, I saw that already and yes, 6MT. Thanks for the info though. Like I said, I don't want to cut it. I was hoping there was a kit or something.

Anyone have an answer to the CAI question I posted earlier?

Also, I called AutoZone, and they said they have a 45 degree 3" piece that you can plug the vacuum hose into. I know someone said the filters weren't good there, but if I got a K&N and just got the 45 degree piece, could I do it that way? Thanks
You'll probably lose power by adding a short ram. The best intakes are true CAI. You would cut a hole in your wheel well and have a ram that goes from there up to your throttle body. That would be a true CAI. WAI are just for looks.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM

you know i bought a injen cold air intake and it left this HUGE gap behind the battery where the stock air box was...i just laugh when i look at it, and the MAF sensor looks goofy i should probably stretch it and re-route it..any ideas on making that gap look a little less odd?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
00 Max SE

hey guys...i have an 00 se with bose..when i bought it the rear deck speaker never worked..does it really make the much of a difference in sound? Is it even worth getting replaced?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM

if you read the thread you would've realized there was no kit for this
also the 350z **** doesnt work with the max because of the reverse lockout.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM

hey guys...i have an 00 se with bose..when i bought it the rear deck speaker never worked..does it really make the much of a difference in sound? Is it even worth getting replaced?
I thought the speakers were in the rear doors?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
00 Max SE

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
I thought the speakers were in the rear doors?
they are in the doors but theres the sub in the back by the rear window that doesnt work
Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mattjs89
they are in the doors but theres the sub in the back by the rear window that doesnt work
i wouldnt bother replacing it. If you were gonna spend the money you might as well upgrade to a better amp/sub if thats what your looking for.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I have a 2002 GLE and after some searching & posting, I've found my car is losing/using/burning up to 2qts of oil between oil changes... most likely because of bad piston rings. My local garage and 3 closest nissan dealers will not perform piston ring replacement. a) can anyone recommend a mechanic in Northeast PA for me to get an estimate? b) if anyone here has successfully replaced these piston rings, how much $$ did you shell out?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this is misplaced.
Maury

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 10-01-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaurysMusic
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I have a 2002 GLE and after some searching & posting, I've found my car is losing/using/burning up to 2qts of oil between oil changes... most likely because of bad piston rings. My local garage and 3 closest nissan dealers will not perform piston ring replacement. a) can anyone recommend a mechanic in Northeast PA for me to get an estimate? b) if anyone here has successfully replaced these piston rings, how much $$ did you shell out?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this is misplaced.
Maury
Most people with that crap motor, I mean 3.5 don't do anything about it. If I were to guess, it would be over $2.5k.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ouch. Thanks for the info. And the crap motor comment.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Cletus

i answered you

http://forums.maxima.org/6633151-post6965.html
Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey

Hello, guys. Im 18 and i just bought a 2001 Maxima SE and uh anyway im trying to replace the stock fog , headlight for the HID ones but i dont know which one is the best one u can get for your money. So can anyone help me out here?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Cletus

So I got had by a Integra on the freeway.
a late 90's Saturn kept up with my Max on the freeway, though he was behind me and we only went from 70-100ish
what I can do to get better freeway speed....
street race much

Last edited by SoonerFan; 10-02-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the CAI answers.

I searched and I didn't see much, but my car is an 02 SE with about 40,500 original miles and it seems that sometimes at half throttle it stutters before picking up. Seems like spark plugs to me, but I wasn't sure. Any ideas? Maybe an ECU reset cause it seems like the PO was VERY easy on this car.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread