5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, need some help with part number for an 02 maxima hope its the right place to post this. I recently noticed that my underbody splash guard for the engine bay is gone and need replacing. it's the plastic pieces that under the engine bay, not really sure what its called.
Would any body here knows what part number it is or where is a good place to get replacement. Hoping to try a local junkyard but not too sure what's it called so a partnumber would make it easier.
thanks for the help...if any.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by digimon001
Hi, need some help with part number for an 02 maxima hope its the right place to post this. I recently noticed that my underbody splash guard for the engine bay is gone and need replacing. it's the plastic pieces that under the engine bay, not really sure what its called.
Would any body here knows what part number it is or where is a good place to get replacement. Hoping to try a local junkyard but not too sure what's it called so a partnumber would make it easier.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2070_2088.html

Part 75898 and 75899
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by netstorm64
Hi,
I have a 2000 Maxima GLE, 133k miles, automatic.
Recently when i've been driving sometimes i get this loss of acceleration. It feels if the car isn't changing gears.
When i try to accelerate the RPM meter goes to 5k-6k and the car's MPH barely increases. This has happened 3-4 times now, especially when i try to accelerate to go to 30-40mph on the highway. Most of the time it doesn't occur at all.
Any idea what might be the issue?
Thanks in advance.
bump
Old 08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Teddie18
What do you mean by "the car won't run right"? Without describing what the car is specifically doing it is hard to impossible to say what the problem is.
with the spacer out and the factory setup the car runs and drives perfect I have very little problems with the engine and trans. When I put in the 3/4 inch spacer, when I turn it over it revs to 3 1/2 rpms and down to 1 rpm back and forth when its in park. If I put it in drive ame thing just now its in gear. I tried to just take the MAF sensor off the intake, then it just backfires through the intake and dies. I hope that can help diag. the issue
Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 PM

So a second question for all:

Car seems to have good power, but full throttle when it shifts it seems to fall on its face in the next gear around 3500-4000rpm ish. Its a 02 GLE, would this indicate MAF issues as others have had. What is the good maf model number that i should look for? I havent looked to see what it has.... anything else i should check and such?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
Hey replacing the VIAS solenoid control valve was the first thing I've ever done on my car and it's really simple. I take it you're getting P1800? It's practically a 5 minute job, if even that.

The control valve is the thing labeled 14956W towards the left side of the following image:

Removal:
1) Remove engine cover (need an allen wrench)
2) Disconnect electrical connector from valve
3) Remove two vacuum hoses from the valve (remember which hose went into which valve). In case you forget, the left hole goes to the VIAS solenoid (top-rear-left of engine) and the right hole goes to the vacuum tank (cylindrical thing to the right of the valve in front of engine)
4) Remove the (10mm?) bolt

5) Reverse steps for installation
THANKS! i'm not yelling, its just a big thank you!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Hi,
I have a 2000 Maxima GLE, 133k miles, automatic.
Recently when i've been driving sometimes i get this loss of acceleration. It feels if the car isn't changing gears.
When i try to accelerate the RPM meter goes to 5k-6k and the car's MPH barely increases. This has happened 3-4 times now, especially when i try to accelerate to go to 30-40mph on the highway. Most of the time it doesn't occur at all.
Any idea what might be the issue?
Thanks in advance.
check your A/T fluid.

2 things to look for:

A. level, high? low? perfect?
B. what color is it? pink?

Tip, park your car overnight and check it first thing in the morning and the result will be accurate.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by LongIslandMax
Hello, newbie here with a newbie-like question... I am looking into replacing the muffler on my 02 Gle because it is rusted completely through, and is pretty much shot. Anyway i have been interested in the flowmaster 40 series for a while now, and im wondering which size inlet/outlet I will need for the car. Thanks
HERE is what i have.

fits perfect, make sure you're there with the welder when he's about to hang it tight so it goes according to your preference.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch chatter problem ........2001 Max SE (20th) 5spd

Had a Clutch Masters FX100 (Stage 1) clutch and Clutch Masters alum. flywheel
installed as a replacement.

Significant clutch chatter at take off, even more chatter going into Reverse and some chatter down shifting into second gear.

Clutch pedal pressure is ligther than previous OE clutch, which is fine with me.
Clutch engages at half way point from the floor.
Motor mounts, tranny mounts and Axle play ..........all check out OK.
Have completed cluthc break-in for 500 miles........chatter problem remains.

Also, Clutch chatter has caused small oil leak, due to crack in rear main oil seal (which was not replaced by mechanic, because it looked perfect to him during clutch and flywheel install)

Anyone running a Clutch Masters Stage 1 clutch ?? Any clutch chatter problems ??
What Flywheel are you running with the Clutch Masters stage 1 ?? How do I pinpoint this clutch chatter
problem??

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by johnnyboy777; 09-01-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a 2004 maxima spoiler, on my 2002 max?

To be specific, i would like this spoiler. http://www.customautotrim.com/spoilers/?a=img&id=2829

Thank you for any help i get.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have my eyes on a 02 6spd SE max with 110K km or around 70k miles on it.

but the damn car has rust around both quarter panels and various rust spots on the car's chipped surfaces. the hood latch has rust on it, the part where the spoiler and the trunk meets has small spots of rust on it.

Should i buy it? it drives smooth and the clutch was fine. only other problem is the car's power steering makes this noise when turned while car is stationary.

I also ran a carfax on it and it didn't show any accidents or flood history on it. however...record stopped in november 2007 with 30k miles on the clock and it's 2009 now....

i like this car a lot and it's 6 speed as well, i think it'll edge out my 03 TL Type S with header hehe, but these rust issue is really getting to me, i dunno if i should buy it...i can get it for pretty cheap too...6000 cad plus tax, which is about 5500 usd. I just don't know if i should buy this car as an interim car until i graduate and get something really nice once i get good job

thanks a bunch in advance!!

Last edited by nsx04; 08-27-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission Problem?

For some reason, I can't start a new post, I just registered a few minutes ago and no email activation links...? Anyway, my question is regarding my 03 Maxima SE Auto trans:

It has 120k, stock, and runs really strong. Problem is, that sometimes the car seems to be stuck in some sort of "performance mode". Either that or I've got tranny problems. After getting on it hard, the car automatically revs/accelerates really hard under normal throttle. Its like the car is stuck in a mode that thinks I want to gun it constantly lol. Any ideas? Is there a performance mode I don't know about and if so, how do you disable it; or worse yet, is there a problem with the transmisstion? It has happened more often lately and seems to be tempermental. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by imdupeng
== 002 Maxima SE (Auto Tranny) ==

Can anyone post a picture showing or explain where the tranny cooler return hose is? I plan to do an ATF flush this weekend.

Thanks
Bump.

Please help
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by pmi
I have a photo of my "leftover tensioner", but as a newb I can't post it, so I'll try again in fewer words.

Does a 2000 VQ30 engine have an adjuster or belt tensioner for the alternator, other than the idler pulley assembly that is bolted to the front of the timing cover? Thanks in advance, Mack
The short answer is no. I've had my 2000 SE for over 4 years. I know for a fact there are only two belts, one turns only the power steering pump, and the other turns the alternator and AC compressor. The power steering belt is tensioned by the pump itself, and the alternator/AC belt is tensioned using an idler pulley.

With the water pump being turned by the timing chain, you've got all your vital components covered. I wouldn't worry about the extra pulley if I were you. However, I do know that the alternator idler pulley assembly is a part you can get from the dealer (at a fairly reasonable price, too), and it comes in a plastic bag saying something to the effect of "idler assembly". You might have gotten an extra one with plans to replace it, because the bearings can go bad on them (as it did with mine). You can also find the part (just the pulley, no hardware) at NAPA, AutoZone, etc., and they should have pictures on their website that you can compare with yours. Also courtesyparts.com has good diagrams, not as many photos, though. That site has every Nissan part imaginable. If it's not on that site, you can be 99.999999% certain it does not exist.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

have a clutch problem.

Just replaced my '00 with a new clutch. Everything is back together and running great... But... I hear something spinning in the clutch/tranny when I am accelerating and decelerating. Any ideas? I heard something about a 500 mile break-in on an earlier thread? What is that?

Also... I am hearing a knocking when I hit any minor bump in the road. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the car on the drivers side. I thought it could be the radiator which is not very secure... any ideas? I did replace all 4 mounts when I had it appart - could something with the mounts cause that? (sounds like the tranny mount area of the car - and the front center mount is all the way to one side - not centered on (? called - steel brace under engine/tranny)

Last edited by biffmystro; 08-28-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxximaa
check your A/T fluid.

2 things to look for:

A. level, high? low? perfect?
B. what color is it? pink?

Tip, park your car overnight and check it first thing in the morning and the result will be accurate.
Well i looked at my fluid, and when my car is cold, the fluid level is over the hot mark. And its not really pink, its a darkish color, what do i make of that?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxximaa
HERE is what i have.

fits perfect, make sure you're there with the welder when he's about to hang it tight so it goes according to your preference.

Yes, I agree the Magnaflow 14816 (dual tips) is a sweet muffler and fits well on 5th Gen Maxis.......looks great too! I've got one on my 01 Max SE...sounds great...not too loud. Have installer remove the awful stock
round pre-muffler, so from CAT back you have straight pipe to a new
small resonator and then the Magnaflow.

I'm looking at the WarpSpeed Y-pipe with hi-flow CAT, which replaces the
(2) OE CATs.............should gain 10-15 HP with this set-up.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
MWM

I got caught on the freeway yesterday in a big backup from an accident. I went about 3 miles over a stretch of an hour. Towards the end of that stretch, I noticed my temp gauge had moved clear up to where it was as hot as the gauge would go. I also noticed at this stage that while idling, it would arbitrarily start to stall just for an instant and then idle normal again. I'm sure this was related to the temp.

I did have the air on prior to noticing the temp, but had it set to 70 degrees and it was only about 73 degrees outside. Once I got through the accident, I drove slow, got off at the next stop and waited a while before going again. I did notice that as soon as I started to get up to normal speeds, the temp started to cool. Once I stopped, it was fine the rest of the day.

Is this normal when the car is just sitting and running, or could it be symptomatic of a problem? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am planning on buying the SE=R exhaust from a buddy of mine this weekend just wondering if the 05 Alitma SE-R exhaust fit on to the 5.5 gen maxima(2002)???
Thanx!!!

Last edited by gofastermax; 08-28-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie to the rescue

Originally Posted by MWM
I got caught on the freeway yesterday in a big backup from an accident. I went about 3 miles over a stretch of an hour. Towards the end of that stretch, I noticed my temp gauge had moved clear up to where it was as hot as the gauge would go. I also noticed at this stage that while idling, it would arbitrarily start to stall just for an instant and then idle normal again. I'm sure this was related to the temp.

I did have the air on prior to noticing the temp, but had it set to 70 degrees and it was only about 73 degrees outside. Once I got through the accident, I drove slow, got off at the next stop and waited a while before going again. I did notice that as soon as I started to get up to normal speeds, the temp started to cool. Once I stopped, it was fine the rest of the day.

Is this normal when the car is just sitting and running, or could it be symptomatic of a problem? Just curious.
>>> Sounds like an O2 sensor issue ..............have your mechanic check and/or replace your O2 sensors. Hopefully your Maxima is still under warranty, so dealer can replace the sensors for free. Hope this advice helps.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headers

I am installing headers tommorow on my 00 max 3.0L are there any tips for the install I may need to know. I had two ideas in mind, I could either A. go through the top...the intake manifold... or B. go through the bottom. Whats the best way. Also I was told if pulled off rotors calipers and brakets from a Q45 in the junkyard (its in good shape) that it would bolt up to my car is that true???
Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. I have an02 maxima and im startin 2have issues with it. I jus replaced my maf n it was driving fine. Then it gave me a new ses code n it turnes out 2ne the vias solenoid(p1800). So i checked the vias n it turned out 2be fine. Now its not sputtering but the tranny is givin me problems now, it wont shift into 4th n sometimes after its been on 4awhile it wont shift in2 2nd. Sometimes i have 2play wit da gas pedal in order 4it 2shift. Can any1 help me with this? Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 AM
MWM

Originally Posted by johnnyboy777
>>> Sounds like an O2 sensor issue ..............have your mechanic check and/or replace your O2 sensors. Hopefully your Maxima is still under warranty, so dealer can replace the sensors for free. Hope this advice helps.
Thanks. I've suspected an O2 sensor issue for a few weeks, but it's no light is coming on to throw a code. This will give me reason enough to go ahead and swap them out. It's an 02, so there's no warranty.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch Masters Flywheel

Anyone running a Clutch Masters alum. flywheel (13 lbs. ) ???
If so, how is it running and do you have any clutch chatter issues ?? And what clutch are you running with it ?? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by johnnyboy777; 09-02-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am planning on buying the SE=R exhaust from a buddy of mine this weekend just wondering if the 05 Alitma SE-R exhaust fit on to the 5.5 gen maxima(2002)???
Thanx!!! update someone help i am picking it up in the morning is this setup possible
Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by gofastermax
Thanx!!! update someone help i am picking it up in the morning is this setup possible
Of course it'll fit, with time, money, and fabrication.

You are aware that it is a dual muffler setup, correct? And that the stock A33B setup is single?

Have you looked underneath the car to see what space is there?

What would you do for a bumper cutout for the other tip?

What do you mean by 'exhaust'? Everything? Midpipe? Mufflers?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

a buddy of mine works for a body shop and will custom fit the mufflers to come out my AE rear bumber. but i was wondering about the space under the car since it is a dual pipe does anyone kno if there is enough space? And also if the altima header and maxima header are located in or close too the same location? Thanx for the help
Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by gofastermax
a buddy of mine works for a body shop and will custom fit the mufflers to come out my AE rear bumber. but i was wondering about the space under the car since it is a dual pipe does anyone kno if there is enough space? And also if the altima header and maxima header are located in or close too the same location? Thanx for the help
Have you not actually just looked underneath your car?

That would be headers, and generally headers come with their own Y.

If you search, you'll see that the L31 uses an engine arrangement similar to the A34, a full subframe rather than a crossmember. The Y is different.

Again, with enough time and fabrication, it'll fit perfectly.

Will it bolt right up, and all fir perfectly? No.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you not actually just looked underneath your car?

That would be headers, and generally headers come with their own Y.

If you search, you'll see that the L31 uses an engine arrangement similar to the A34, a full subframe rather than a crossmember. The Y is different.

Again, with enough time and fabrication, it'll fit perfectly.

Will it bolt right up, and all fir perfectly? No.
i just checked under my car and kinda eye balled it with comparision to the altima exhaust itself and it seams like it has the same undercaraige setup as the altima. just not to sure about when it goes to meet with the headers. i dont kno i am getting the exhaust for $100 so its a deal and a half but i guess i will give it a try since kno one seams to kno for sure! thanx
Old 08-29-2009, 02:34 PM

i plan to install a cold intake(injen)/headers/ 'y'pipe on my max but my mecano here said that my injection system will be deprogramed if i do this mod..it is right???

and im also looking for weel spacer for my stock 17' wheels were i can find those spacer here in quebec im not able to find that there any web site who can buy this parts

thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by max00mike
i plan to install a cold intake(injen)/headers/ 'y'pipe on my max but my mecano here said that my injection system will be deprogramed if i do this mod..it is right???

and im also looking for weel spacer for my stock 17' wheels were i can find those spacer here in quebec im not able to find that there any web site who can buy this parts

thanks
What do you mean 'injection system deprogrammed'? Looking past it making no sense, it makes no sense.

If you search for a 'weel spacer' you won't find much, but if you search for a wheel spacer:
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

There are many many many sites that sell them, most of them undoubtedly ship to Canada.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanx pmohr i am geussing my main problem will be the y pipe since the altima and maxima seam to be different in length and placement (as in where they meet up with the headers)... but was wondering what kinda of shop would be able to fab. custom y pipe.

Last edited by gofastermax; 08-29-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by digimon001
Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Check the for sale section for some part outs. You can probably get them much cheaper than the dealer.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Well i looked at my fluid, and when my car is cold, the fluid level is over the hot mark. And its not really pink, its a darkish color, what do i make of that?
When was the fluid replaced last? I dont think it should be past the H when cold, unless there is a cold marking on the dip stick.

Read this TSB, do these symtoms sound more like your car?
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB00-039a.pdf
Old 08-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by VQ35DE TE
For some reason, I can't start a new post, I just registered a few minutes ago and no email activation links...? Anyway, my question is regarding my 03 Maxima SE Auto trans:

It has 120k, stock, and runs really strong. Problem is, that sometimes the car seems to be stuck in some sort of "performance mode". Either that or I've got tranny problems. After getting on it hard, the car automatically revs/accelerates really hard under normal throttle. Its like the car is stuck in a mode that thinks I want to gun it constantly lol. Any ideas? Is there a performance mode I don't know about and if so, how do you disable it; or worse yet, is there a problem with the transmisstion? It has happened more often lately and seems to be tempermental. Thanks for your help guys.
Check for vacuum leaks. Additionally your throttle body may be dirty. Read up on some posts on how to properly clean the throttle body. Its not too involved, but must be done right.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
What do you mean 'injection system deprogrammed'? Looking past it making no sense, it makes no sense.

my mecano mean by deprogramed that my injection can fail or make my engine run bad or had issue with my engine,,anyway i saw many guy's here have moded ther max without injection issue,,,

thanks for the link
Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi. is it true the 2001 spec. ed. used a different trans. than the "regular" max's? if so, was this just the manual or also the automatic? and how were they different? tia
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Massima
hi. is it true the 2001 spec. ed. used a different trans. than the "regular" max's? if so, was this just the manual or also the automatic? and how were they different? tia
The AE had standard VLSD.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 2000 maxima i wanna know if its possible to install the 2002 maxima xenon headlights on my car?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by abutta295
i have a 2000 maxima i wanna know if its possible to install the 2002 maxima xenon headlights on my car?
Yes.

Here's the howto.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread