5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

I would have never guessed.,. TY.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:14 AM

2000 I30T = 2000 Maxima Lighting?

Hey guys,

I see loads of information for the 00-03 maxima healight upgrades (dde/halo, etc.) and have seen some phenominal mods. I give props to each and every one of you for making headlights an enjoyable project. But I have a few simple questions....

So I know I can buy the 02-03 headlights, buy the umnitza kit, and to follow housecor's procedures (www.shiftice.com/) BUT, here comes my questions:

Q1: Are 2000 maxima headlights different than 2000 I30T headlights, or are they the same fit, with respect to geometry and shape?

Q2: Can I buy 02-03 maxima headlights, mod them, and install them on my 2000 I30? Will it be fitted/flushed or will it look akward?

Q3: OR do I have to buy 02-03 infiniti i30 headlights and then go thru housecor's process?

I greatly appreciate any help on this info.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

Last edited by PersianCzar; 11-08-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what up people my name Laban and i'm new here. my home boy themajesticking put me on to the ORG and i'm happy to be here. i don't have a max yet but i'm looking for a 5 gen , and i think i found one but i needhelp.
http://http://www.cars.com/go/search...eadExists=true. this car is sexy, but my problem is that i'm having with, is price does not match the car on KBB. what do yall think about it?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
205-55-16 will fit, but it is too small, might look goofy, and your speedometer will be a little off. Check the wheel/tire forum section on here and there is a link to a tire calculator as well as related information.

15's will not fir the A33B brakes. Some may, but the offset / wheel design would have to be fairly uncommon.
Originally Posted by VQP0WER
With these new tires, his speed will be off by +10%. If the speedo is reading 60, he will be going 53.6mph.

Food for thought.

thanks boys
Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Subternal
Ok well I guess I should have been more specific, not quite sure why this matters but... After about every 1000miles I check the oil level and add about a quart or so. So what I meant was by the time it comes to 3k miles I have in theory already changed my oil by adding a quart every 1k miles. I was exaggerating. At roughly the 6k mile point I change the filter. I am feeding this thing enough oil. I was originally curious as to what course of action to take.
I would look at changing the rear valve cover because the seals around the spark plugs are know to go bad. And while it's off I would change the plugs to since they are possibility soaked in oil. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One question. On a 2000 Maxima, I'm considering getting a Cattman exhaust, but am unsure about the Y-pipe. From my understanding, the Y-pipe is essentially a downpipe IIRC, (I'm not very well on mechanics), but from readin the descriptions on Cattmans site, it's designed to sound best with the Y-pipe. Does this mean my car will sound wonky with the Cattman exhaust and a stock Y-pipe, or is it ok to leave the stock Y-pipe on for now?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Need Help Deciding beSt spring/strut setup.. NooB

Suspension all stock for now, Riding on Larger rims/tires (20' Verde kaos black with Lo nankang Tires) On bumps on Highway My rear bottoms out, Noise..
I thought it was tires, but thats been inspected and eliminated.

Rear sits real low and bouncy= blown shocks (83k miles)

Time to upgrade----->> Looking at Eibach pro With Tokico Blues OR?? Kyb Gr2
H&R springs with ?? Which Strut.

Wish to achieve about 1.2 drop all around from stock. Not bouncy, want a smooth riding car
HELP!@
Old 11-08-2008, 11:51 AM

What size winter tires should I be looking at I'm on a 16"rim. Mines now are 215/55/16. I'm only replacing the tires. Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 12:07 PM

Hey everyone first post on the org so cut me some slack haha, I Got 2 quick questions...1. I bought a 40 series flow with a magnaflow tip oblong shaped and i based my purchase on most of the sounds clips i let it break in approx. 1,500 and its just not that loud i almost didnt buy it because it was too loud and now im like wtf? what did everyone do diffrent? and 2. I read alot about engine codes where are they to look at them and how do u interpret the numbers ( I have an aftermarket head unit and cannot change my mode on the steering wheel wich sucks and i have a feeling its there)? Thanks Guys.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TheOnlyMax88
Hey everyone first post on the org so cut me some slack haha, I Got 2 quick questions...1. I bought a 40 series flow with a magnaflow tip oblong shaped and i based my purchase on most of the sounds clips i let it break in approx. 1,500 and its just not that loud i almost didnt buy it because it was too loud and now im like wtf? what did everyone do diffrent? and 2. I read alot about engine codes where are they to look at them and how do u interpret the numbers ( I have an aftermarket head unit and cannot change my mode on the steering wheel wich sucks and i have a feeling its there)? Thanks Guys.
These cars are quiet, you need to open up the exhaust manifold to really get sound (y-pipe/headers). Not only that, but a muffler just wont do much for anything. The stock muffler is fine up to around 250 whp.

The engine codes are read through a code reader that plugs in under th dash, so you're fine, even with an aftermarket HU.

Originally Posted by ShippedOut
What size winter tires should I be looking at I'm on a 16"rim. Mines now are 215/55/16. I'm only replacing the tires. Thanks
I'd stick with the same size.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just have one question. I have a 00 Maxi and I am looking to buy the black angel eye projector style headlights for it. I'd like to get an HID conversion on it and I'm wondering what kind of kit I would have to get to go with the Projector style headlights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

transmission jump 1st-2nd

I have an auto 02 maxima. in 1st to 2nd gear if i let the rpm run past 2500 the transmission jumps from 1st to 2nd it jolts the car forward like it wants to go faster. all the other gears are all perfectly fine and change smoothly. any ideas what this could be?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Car wont start

2001 Maxima. 113k miles.

The past couple days the car has been a little slow to start, and I mean just barely. Normally when I turn the key, fires right up, no hesitation, nothing. The past couple days theres been maybe 1second of hesitation before it started up. Last night I was at a concert and when I went to leave the car wouldn't start, so I got a jump, while I was getting the jump I noticed the Neg terminal wasn't very tight, so I tightened that, and it eventually started. But it didn't start right up like it was the battery alone. I took the car to AutoZone this morning and had them hook it up while on the car to their battery tester, and he said it tested out fine.
This evening I was headed out and it would not start at all. I hooked it up to my GF's car with jumper cables and still nothing. I get one click, and thats it. All the lights are on, connections tight, it just wont start.
Could it be anything other than the starter, and how hard are the starters to replace on these. From the FSM it looks pretty cut and dry. I've replaced my alternator, done brakes, reverse pnp switch, and a wheel bearing myself, I haven't done a whole lot to this car, but I think I could manage this. Any tips or other thoughts?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Renny017
I would look at changing the rear valve cover because the seals around the spark plugs are know to go bad. And while it's off I would change the plugs to since they are possibility soaked in oil. Hope this helps.
Hey, good call!! I was changing my plugs and alternator yesterday and noticed that one of the 'rear' plug channels was almost completely filled with oil.
Other than an obvious inconvenince of cleaning the oil off, and having to add a little , is that valve cover seal really bad for the engine?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
These cars are quiet, you need to open up the exhaust manifold to really get sound (y-pipe/headers). Not only that, but a muffler just wont do much for anything. The stock muffler is fine up to around 250 whp.

The engine codes are read through a code reader that plugs in under th dash, so you're fine, even with an aftermarket HU.

I'd stick with the same size.

Where do you get Y-pipe and Headers for the 02' Max's ? I've looked but haven't been able to find hardly anything...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM

MAP sensor/Boost sesor bad

So whats up with this sensor? I see it deals with gas/air flow. I am trying to figure out why my car shutters and pulls up multiple missfire (p0300) at one time it pulled p0302 (cyl. #2) I replaced the coil pack. Prior to code readings I replaced the spark plugs (NGKs) after car started to shutter.

So all spark plugs replaced, coil pack (cyl. 2) replaced, 02 bank 1 sensor 1 replaced, cleaned MAF sensor, good air pressure on exaust all injectors are working, the only code I am reading now is for MAP sensor and random misfire, so would the MAP sensor make the max shutter especially at 2k rpm??? Also I run Castrol GTX high mileage and 91-93 octane.

2000 max, 133k,

Thanks for any responses!!!!

Last edited by hardincah; 11-10-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM

i kno there are probably tons of other threads about this but i dont really feel like going through everything. I need new struts all around. The front ones are completely shot. i dont want to spend $1000 to go somewhere and have someone put them on for me but i just dont kno if i can do them by myself. I plan to just replace them w/ stock shocks (because of cheapness) but i dont wanna get into it and get way over my head. I kno ill have to get a strut compressor.
soo....
1. how much of a hassel is it to do the front (i dont think the back will be hard but yea.
2. what kind of struts should i buy? im lookin for stock cheap struts. I will probably also need the shock mounts for the front.

Thanks in advance. sorry for the noob question.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
i kno there are probably tons of other threads about this but i dont really feel like going through everything. I need new struts all around. The front ones are completely shot. i dont want to spend $1000 to go somewhere and have someone put them on for me but i just dont kno if i can do them by myself. I plan to just replace them w/ stock shocks (because of cheapness) but i dont wanna get into it and get way over my head. I kno ill have to get a strut compressor.
soo....
1. how much of a hassel is it to do the front (i dont think the back will be hard but yea.
2. what kind of struts should i buy? im lookin for stock cheap struts. I will probably also need the shock mounts for the front.

Thanks in advance. sorry for the noob question.
Took me about 3-4hrs to do a complete shock/spring change.

I did all this for way less then $1k. I think my Eibach springs were $280 and my shocks about $300.

Here's a How-To for shocks and springs.

http://www.shiftice.com/strut_install.html

Last edited by VQP0WER; 11-10-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Subternal
Where do you get Y-pipe and Headers for the 02' Max's ? I've looked but haven't been able to find hardly anything...
Cattman Performance
Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

couple ?s on a 00

I am experiencing a excessive starter noise with about 45% of starts, as if the motor is remaining engaged too long.

00 SE manual with 92K.

On cold starts, I am getting hesitation/bucking for about the first four shifts. Does not return once warmed up. smooth idle.

consistently, I get a metallic high frequency vibration as I pass 2000rpm, and again as I pass 4000rpms.

I experience a lack of power passing 3200rpm.
does the 00 engine have variable timing of any sort?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

...And yesterday it through a code. 171.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Battery drain and car won't start

NooB here. I get a 2000 GXE auto, 55K.

My car's battery has drained out three times during past month. I had the alternator replaced in early Sept. when it went bad during the trip back from NJ (battery light + brake light). Then in the middle of last month I replaced the strut by myself. During the installation, I jacked the car unevenly. Right front end got about 3 inch higher than the left front side. So when I removed the jack stand, the car's right front end was way higher than the left front end and it took a while for the car to rest evenly. When I got into the back seat to work on the rear shock, I heard a big bang but couldn't locate where that sound came from. I guess I might break something.

After the replacement of the strut, I couldn't start the car. No light, no sound. I thought I opened the trunk the day before the replacement and forgot to close it. Then I Jump-started the car with a portable charger and drove 15 min. to the workshop and left the car overnight to have the alignment done the day after. The battery went out again and the workshop recharged the battery and it worked till yesterday, which was more than 2 weeks. We drove the car almost every day except last 2 days. BTW, the battery was replaced new last month right before the installation of the strut.

My wife called AAA to jump start the car. She was told that battery and alternator are still good, both with good voltages. She also was told that something was draining the car constantly but the AAA guy couldn't locate it. She was suggested to take the car to the dealer or mechanic.

Here are my questions:
1. Do you guy think the new alternator is not charging the battery enough?
2. Is it possible that I damaged the wire during my installation of the strut? I am sure that I didn't touch any wire except the brake line. When I installed the rear shock, I had to remove the trunk liner. Is it possible that some wires around the trunk got damaged and were ground to the trunk?
3. Did the uneven heights of jack stands cause that big bang, which might trigger a unnoticeable security system alert?
4. Is it a parasitic drain problem? I don't have any aftermarket electronic system installed. I did a search on the ORG and found a parasitic drain post. However, my security light blinks every 3 seconds and it is normal, not like the poster's problem with popped-out key cylinder, which triggered the security alert. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...in-help-2.htmlc-drain-help-2.html
5. What are the steps to check this problem? Should I follow this http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain?

Last edited by gemantown; 11-10-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:17 AM

Is there a way to have the parking lights flash when you lock AND unlock the car, but not have the horn honk?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by evalyn
Is there a way to have the parking lights flash when you lock AND unlock the car, but not have the horn honk?
Press lock and unlock for 2 seconds to alternate between a beeping and silent mode. Not sure if the instructions apply to 2001, but those are taken from the back of my remote (I have a 2000 maxima). You might want to check the back of your remote.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
Press lock and unlock for 2 seconds to alternate between a beeping and silent mode. Not sure if the instructions apply to 2001, but those are taken from the back of my remote (I have a 2000 maxima). You might want to check the back of your remote.
Still the same for '01, but the lights do not flash when unlocking in silent mode.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by gemantown
Here are my questions:
1. Do you guy think the new alternator is not charging the battery enough?
2. Is it possible that I damaged the wire during my installation of the strut? I am sure that I didn't touch any wire except the brake line. When I installed the rear shock, I had to remove the trunk liner. Is it possible that some wires around the trunk got damaged and were ground to the trunk?
3. Did the uneven heights of jack stands cause that big bang, which might trigger a unnoticeable security system alert?
4. Is it a parasitic drain problem? I don't have any aftermarket electronic system installed. I did a search on the ORG and found a parasitic drain post. However, my security light blinks every 3 seconds and it is normal, not like the poster's problem with popped-out key cylinder, which triggered the security alert. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...in-help-2.htmlc-drain-help-2.html
5. What are the steps to check this problem? Should I follow this http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain?
1. You should have 13.5 volts coming off the alternator. If you don't, could be another bad alternator or maybe a slipping belt.

2. I doubt you changing the struts/shocks had any role in this. Where on the front end did you place the jacks?

3. Not likely. I'm betting the weight shifted on your jack stands.

4. I would remove the alternator and get it tested and replaced. It's not uncommon to get another bad alternator. They build these components like poo poo these days. Also inspect all your battery/alt/starter cables for corrosion or damage.

5. If you want to check for drains, you should start checking to make sure your glove box light does not remain on, or any other interior lights. If those are ok, pull the fuse to the radio. It can be a very slow process. They also have clamp on ampometers (forget the name) which measures the amount of power being drawn from the battery when the vehicle is off.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 AM

Still the same for '01, but the lights do not flash when unlocking in silent mode.
That's right; they only flash (twice) when locking the car.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1. You should have 13.5 volts coming off the alternator. If you don't, could be another bad alternator or maybe a slipping belt.

2. I doubt you changing the struts/shocks had any role in this. Where on the front end did you place the jacks?

3. Not likely. I'm betting the weight shifted on your jack stands.

4. I would remove the alternator and get it tested and replaced. It's not uncommon to get another bad alternator. They build these components like poo poo these days. Also inspect all your battery/alt/starter cables for corrosion or damage.

5. If you want to check for drains, you should start checking to make sure your glove box light does not remain on, or any other interior lights. If those are ok, pull the fuse to the radio. It can be a very slow process. They also have clamp on ampometers (forget the name) which measures the amount of power being drawn from the battery when the vehicle is off.
Well, looks like alternator is ok. When tested while idling, it reads 14V. When tested while key off, the battery reads 12.4V.

The 10A current read from the negative post to the ground cable is 0.015A. It doesn't look like a parasitic drain. After removing each fuse, I still get 0.015A.

I can't find a glove box light. I guess it went out, which might cause the problem? What else can cause the battery drain?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Everyone w/ a 5th gen seems to be having a problem with their car's RPMs during cold. Its said to be the intake manifolds gaskets. I found the gaskets, and am thinking about buying them. However before I do, I want to know what I'm getting myself into. How hard is it to replace these gaskets?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bradbmx1
Everyone w/ a 5th gen seems to be having a problem with their car's RPMs during cold. Its said to be the intake manifolds gaskets. I found the gaskets, and am thinking about buying them. However before I do, I want to know what I'm getting myself into. How hard is it to replace these gaskets?
We're having problems?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM

We're having problems?

Maybe "we" was an incorrect word. Excuse my vocabulary. Rather "some" of us with 3.0L 5th generations are having a problem with cold starts. All of this information is irrelevant to my question. How hard is it to replace the intake manifold gaskets on a 2000 Nissan Maxima?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a repair manual online in .pdf for the 5th gen?

I searched for it but nothing really came up that was relevant..
Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by PersianCzar
Hey guys,

I see loads of information for the 00-03 maxima healight upgrades (dde/halo, etc.) and have seen some phenominal mods. I give props to each and every one of you for making headlights an enjoyable project. But I have a few simple questions....

So I know I can buy the 02-03 headlights, buy the umnitza kit, and to follow housecor's procedures (www.shiftice.com/) BUT, here comes my questions:

Q1: Are 2000 maxima headlights different than 2000 I30T headlights, or are they the same fit, with respect to geometry and shape?

Q2: Can I buy 02-03 maxima headlights, mod them, and install them on my 2000 I30? Will it be fitted/flushed or will it look akward?

Q3: OR do I have to buy 02-03 infiniti i30 headlights and then go thru housecor's process?

I greatly appreciate any help on this info.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby
Anybody? Come on peoples, I know Im an outkast with my I30 but im trying to be like yall lol... Thanks!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Try this site

Originally Posted by klemenz
Does anyone know where I can find a repair manual online in .pdf for the 5th gen?

I searched for it but nothing really came up that was relevant..
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2001
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Not really a noob here but i still have a question. Does anyone know the oil sending unit fitting size?? Im going to do a remote unit so that i can run an aftermarket oil pressure gauge without losing my oem sensor and i need the specs so that i can get some braided stainless line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

K&N

Hey Guys, somewhat new to the site but had my max for a while. Looking to get a CAI and found a K&N set up. I have not come across anyone on the site or on cardomain that has it. I want to double check before I get it that it fits and ask if anyone has it? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Please PM if you have any info.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HEY NOOBIE HERE

i have an 02 maxima. my question is that my blower motor doesnt work at all. the fuses are fine but i cant find the relay. please help thanks. i hear nothing when i turn on the motor.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by maximizeme
Hey Guys, somewhat new to the site but had my max for a while. Looking to get a CAI and found a K&N set up. I have not come across anyone on the site or on cardomain that has it. I want to double check before I get it that it fits and ask if anyone has it? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Please PM if you have any info.
Waste of money. Keep your stock intake or get a TRUE CAI, which are rare to find unless you custom make your own. A K&N system is a WAI (warm air intake). It will draw air directly behind the scorching hot radiator.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BIGPIMPINNYC
i have an 02 maxima. my question is that my blower motor doesnt work at all. the fuses are fine but i cant find the relay. please help thanks. i hear nothing when i turn on the motor.
First see if you have 12v at pin #1 and a ground on the harness connector going into the blower fan. If you have voltage there, replace the blower motor.

The relay is next to the ignition relay and the accessory relay. You main harness will be connected to it.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM
retired moderator

Hey guys,

They are different.

The will not fit, at all. Compare your car side-by-sdie with an 02-03 and you'l see the difference in shape.

yes, or do a custom retro.

I've been here for a while and never heard of this problem, or at least not enough times to have noticed.

Replacing the IM gaskets is only as hard as removing the IM. Not really that hard, in short.

Maybe "we" was an incorrect word. Excuse my vocabulary. Rather "some" of us with 3.0L 5th generations are having a problem with cold starts. All of this information is irrelevant to my question. How hard is it to replace the intake manifold gaskets on a 2000 Nissan Maxima?
Cold start problem is more likely related to something else....starter, battery (especially if you still hae the original battery!), spark plugs, coils, etc.

Waste of money. Keep your stock intake or get a TRUE CAI, which are rare to find unless you custom make your own. A K&N system is a WAI (warm air intake). It will draw air directly behind the scorching hot radiator.
At very least get a Berk or do a GAB. Do not do a "long tube" intake unless it's a Place Racing/Cattman-style setup that goes through the fender.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread