5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 AM

the clutch needs freon to engaged you would have to charge the system
Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 08-01-2010, 07:54 AM

I doubt its the resistor because my AC does come on at all speeds its just that fan doesn't spin
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 AM

I got it fixed one of my fuses for the rad. fan was blown out replaced it and now both fans spin
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Body Kits

Hey everyone, Im looking for a body kit for my 03 Max. Ive looked online and found a couple, but before I buy, I would like to consider any recommendation anyone has. I looking for a classy but sporty look. I live in the D.C. area, so if you know any body kit shops, that would help also. Thanx
Old 08-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by OptimusMaxima03
Hey everyone, Im looking for a body kit for my 03 Max. Ive looked online and found a couple, but before I buy, I would like to consider any recommendation anyone has. I looking for a classy but sporty look. I live in the D.C. area, so if you know any body kit shops, that would help also. Thanx
there are many options for a kit...look at these threads

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-bodykits.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...p-02-03-a.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-kits-but.html

for a body shop, check out the local forum

http://forums.maxima.org/washington-d-c-area-10/
Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey everyone I was driving my 03 SE today when my SES light came on. I took it to the local part store and ran a diagnostic test on it and received the following codes, u1001, u1000, p0720, and p1574. I'm not really sure what to do about the u1000 and u1001 codes, but as for the other 2, I'm hoping a new rss will do the job. I can definitely tell that the car is in limp mode and when I try and put the cruise control on the set button just blinks sporadically and never turns on. Im no gear head by any means, but I would rather not take it to the dealership and get robbed for $600. Where could I get this revolution speed sensor? Any suggestions or comments for the U codes?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Appreciate it
Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM

I'm possibly purchasing an 00 SE and I would like to know if i can replace or repaint the gray trim pieces that are all worn out.

Does anyone have the part numbers so i can get a quote for replacement?

TIA
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Well My 2k maxima's carpet was wet after a driveing threw a storm the other night. I had noticed it a little before when I ran threw some deep water(I xpected that though as the water was very deep) Well anyways I pulled th ecarpet again to dry it out and found under the sound dampining stuff glued onto the floor 4 big old holes that go right on threw I am soooo upset and have no idea how to proceed. How and the world do you fix that. I know I have mentioned this earlier I am now unemployed as the company that I worked for is now closed up. So money it tigth and need a cheap but effective solution
Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys I'm new, just thought I might drop in and say hello. I bought a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE a few weeks ago. The tail lights are all blacked out. It's an automatic with 165,000 miles on it. Sun/moon roof. The stereo sounds shot so I'm going to get a new system for it. What do you guys think? I'll post a pic of it in a bit. I'm taking it to the garage this weekend to get the entire car checked, I'll replace the suspension if I have to. It has new tires and everything. Overall one of the best cars I've owned. I think I could use all of your help for my upgrades. I got pulled over because I have blacked out taillights so I was looking at these> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...#ht_1570wt_939 My car is kind of a pearl white. I'll upload some pics when I can thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here she is>

Do you think it would be a good Idea to buy those taillights for the car? I need a quick fix I don't wanna get pulled over again. The person who owned the car before me used some kind of spray to black out the lights. Any input and pm's would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by StuckintheskY; 08-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 with misfire after coil & plug replacement

Greetings,
I've owned an '01 Maxima for just over 2 yrs now, with 116k miles on the clock. About a month ago now the SES lit up with P1320 (Distributor Signal Interrupt)...although I was experiencing no other symptoms, I endeavored to have a friend replace the plugs and coils. He did that about 10 days ago and for the first 5 days, no problems whatsoever (two days before he did, the SES light went off). I drive mostly city miles, 5 or 6 at a time usually, and a few days back as I came to a stoplight the car started with a pronounced knock/misfire, the "thump" being severe enough I could swear those outside the car could tell. It has not done this non-stop over the past several days, but "most of the time" - sometimes it will start after 3 seconds and not stop until I'm moving again, sometimes it will only do it a couple times and stop, sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Under gas, things seem normal, not even a loss of power that I can discern. It doesn't seem to do it in neutral, or in park (or if it is doing it in park, it's not nearly as pronounced).
Hooked a scanner back up and there are no codes at all....which I thought odd.
My best idea is to buy another front and rear coil (I tossed the old ones right away, I'm a complete idiot) and start rotating through, giving each spot a day of driving and seeing if it goes away. Something better we can try?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 AM

Help?

I have a 03 Max, and have changed the stereo. I put a Pioneer avh-p3200 dvd head unit in, and was wondering if there was some connector i could but so i could use my steering wheel connections? I know the head unit is set up to be able to, just don't know what to get. Any help?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by reno_famous
I have a 03 Max, and have changed the stereo. I put a Pioneer avh-p3200 dvd head unit in, and was wondering if there was some connector i could but so i could use my steering wheel connections? I know the head unit is set up to be able to, just don't know what to get. Any help?
http://forums.maxima.org/1085990-post16.html
Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
THANK YOUU!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Hatter
Greetings,
I've owned an '01 Maxima for just over 2 yrs now, with 116k miles on the clock. About a month ago now the SES lit up with P1320 (Distributor Signal Interrupt)...although I was experiencing no other symptoms, I endeavored to have a friend replace the plugs and coils. He did that about 10 days ago and for the first 5 days, no problems whatsoever (two days before he did, the SES light went off). I drive mostly city miles, 5 or 6 at a time usually, and a few days back as I came to a stoplight the car started with a pronounced knock/misfire, the "thump" being severe enough I could swear those outside the car could tell. It has not done this non-stop over the past several days, but "most of the time" - sometimes it will start after 3 seconds and not stop until I'm moving again, sometimes it will only do it a couple times and stop, sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Under gas, things seem normal, not even a loss of power that I can discern. It doesn't seem to do it in neutral, or in park (or if it is doing it in park, it's not nearly as pronounced).
Hooked a scanner back up and there are no codes at all....which I thought odd.
My best idea is to buy another front and rear coil (I tossed the old ones right away, I'm a complete idiot) and start rotating through, giving each spot a day of driving and seeing if it goes away. Something better we can try?
If the coils had been replaced, then replace your crankshaft position sensor now.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Hey, i have a question I have a 2003 Maxima and I'm wondering if the 18" 2009 Maxima wheels will fit it. I'm pretty sure they will fit but i just wanna be 100%. New into the car game but my whole entire family's with it. Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaxxDaLimit
Hey, i have a question I have a 2003 Maxima and I'm wondering if the 18" 2009 Maxima wheels will fit it. I'm pretty sure they will fit but i just wanna be 100%. New into the car game but my whole entire family's with it. Thanks
yes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM

thanks, by any chance has anyone seen them on a 03 already? have a pic? or has an idea of how it'll look? my 03 is silver btw.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know of any good Nissan mechanics in the North Ga or ATL area?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by warren1086
Anyone know of any good Nissan mechanics in the North Ga or ATL area?
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=18
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
JBB
Newbie - Just Registered

I haven't been able to find this specific answer in search, so I'm looking for help. I'm the original owner of a 2003 SE. My first Maxima was a new 1991, sold in 2002. My question- I'm at 109,000 miles; time for new spark plugs. Are there directions somewhere on how to do this job. I'm 55 yrs old and have NEVER had to ask how to install sparkplugs before....

Last edited by JBB; 08-03-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
If the coils had been replaced, then replace your crankshaft position sensor now.
Thank you for the reply, but may I ask for the background for that opinion? What I don't want to do is start throwing parts at it and seeing what, if anything, sticks....although that sounds exactly like what I'll have to do, quickly approaching the value of the car knowing my luck.

I called the local (reputable) Nissan service shop and they said it really could be a dozen different things, perhaps the coil grounding near the plenum, a bad fuel press regulator, and on and on. ...though they too thought a code would likely be getting thrown. I did have them find my car in their records by the last owner's name, and they told me there are no outstanding recalls/TSBs on it (read something that sounded like the CSP may have been a recall).

The plugs came from Autozone, the coils from http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Infinit.../dp/B002Q4CLBO
Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by JBB
I haven't been able to find this specific answer in search, so I'm looking for help. I'm the original owner of a 2003 SE. My first Maxima was a new 1991, sold in 2002. My question- I'm at 109,000 miles; time for new spark plugs. Are there directions somewhere on how to do this job. I'm 55 yrs old and have NEVER had to ask how to install sparkplugs before....
http://www.greghome.com/Greg%27s%20G...eplacement.htm
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Thank you for the reply, but may I ask for the background for that opinion? What I don't want to do is start throwing parts at it and seeing what, if anything, sticks....although that sounds exactly like what I'll have to do, quickly approaching the value of the car knowing my luck.

I called the local (reputable) Nissan service shop and they said it really could be a dozen different things, perhaps the coil grounding near the plenum, a bad fuel press regulator, and on and on. ...though they too thought a code would likely be getting thrown. I did have them find my car in their records by the last owner's name, and they told me there are no outstanding recalls/TSBs on it (read something that sounded like the CSP may have been a recall).

The plugs came from Autozone, the coils from http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Infinit.../dp/B002Q4CLBO
That's pretty much what dealers will do. Throw everything at it until it fixes.

I would get the code read, and see what it tells you.

Also, I would remove the CPS, clean it and it's mounting surface, remount and check all wiring and harnesses, and see if that helps any.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM

The factory service manual states it could be the CPS, along with the coils and other related parts. I just looked up the price of the CPS ($130+) so I would do as Nmex stated first.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
JBB
Newbie - Just Registered

NmexMAX~ Thanks for the link. Looks like I'm going to print those instructions and trot them down to my local mechanic along with the spark plugs I bought. It's kind of a blow to the ego- I can't change my own spark plugs anymore!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by JBB
NmexMAX~ Thanks for the link. Looks like I'm going to print those instructions and trot them down to my local mechanic along with the spark plugs I bought. It's kind of a blow to the ego- I can't change my own spark plugs anymore!
So, you're too busy, not going to try, no time?

Really easy stuff there.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM

can i still do mods to the motor if i buy an auto? usually you need a stick to do it, but it seems that the 5/6 speeds were kinda rare. any thoughts? i searched, but i fail at searching, sorry... plus, im doing this from my phone so.

tia!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by zql8tr
can i still do mods to the motor if i buy an auto? usually you need a stick to do it, but it seems that the 5/6 speeds were kinda rare. any thoughts? i searched, but i fail at searching, sorry... plus, im doing this from my phone so.

tia!
There are many (read: tons) of us that mod our auto's. Stupid or not, do whatever you want. I would still try and find an MT if you haven't already bought one ... But still, IMO, auto's can be fun to mod.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Cletus

tia!
why would you think you shouldnt/couldnt mod an auto

i dont think the tranny has any bearing on modding it...or the power you have before and after...its just how it gets to the ground
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM

million questions about my 01 max

1i bought with dead battery
question
stereo does not operate properly at all, the only button that works on the actual unit it the on and off ****
to change stations you have to use the steering wheel controls, no lights on the unit at all
dealer who i got it from says its because battery is dead it worked fine before
i did buy the car dirt cheap, and i havent put new battery in and just wondering if anybody has had experiance with this
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 02 Max dies after startup

Ok... I am looking for some help. The question is hard to google search or to find using the search feature of the forum. But here goes:

While driving today, I went to pass a semi in the oncoming lane... (yes it was a passing zone).. while accelerating pretty quickly, all of a sudden the car lost power and it just died... when i say it lost power, i mean the engine stopped running. then when i started it, it would run for maybe 3-4 seconds and then just die... i pulled the mass O2 sensor out under the direction of a friend and it started and i was able to drive it over to his house... it shifted a little rough but it made it... he took a look at it and we drove it around and found that it would hit about 2000-2500 rpms and it would feel like it was "misfiring" or something but it would struggle for a second or two and then it would shift... it happened everytime it would up shift while accelerating... i also noticed that the traction control turned itself off and the slip light turned on... we got it back to his house and i was gonna leave but then it would not run again... it would start but instantly die this time... the SES light was also on this whole time but it had been for about 3 years... this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me with this car... its at 124k miles... any suggestions??
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
why would you think you shouldnt/couldnt mod an auto

i dont think the tranny has any bearing on modding it...or the power you have before and after...its just how it gets to the ground
cause almost every other car i see that has a modded motor is an manual. and the fact that most autos cant handle the mods themselves. i would love to find a 6 speed, but ppl in my area r too damn proud of what they have and want too much for their car.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got a 2000 GLE

The car was bought for 4K with the open disclosure that there was some issues. The issues were supposedly a 1st gear selonoid and an O2 sensor. The car is showing a lot of the common symptoms people talk about with this car but nobody can seem to pin down causes for.
When the diagnosis came back the only code that came up was PO731 Incorrect gear ratio. Now my friend who is a 10 year mechanic for Acura said that would generally imply that the trans is shot. However, the car runs really well at low throttle and rpm ranges. It only hesitates when I give it a lot of gas and try to accelerate quickly. Further, if put in neutral there is still some hesitation in the motor getting the RPMs up.
Any thoughts, my best read on it so far is a MAF sensor. Just mainly hoping that it is nothing transmission related. Finally, I have heard not many good things about this particular year for this car. Is there other issues that I need to be aware of?
Appreciate any and all help...
Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by dr_dan
Ok... I am looking for some help. The question is hard to google search or to find using the search feature of the forum. But here goes:

While driving today, I went to pass a semi in the oncoming lane... (yes it was a passing zone).. while accelerating pretty quickly, all of a sudden the car lost power and it just died... when i say it lost power, i mean the engine stopped running. then when i started it, it would run for maybe 3-4 seconds and then just die... i pulled the mass O2 sensor out under the direction of a friend and it started and i was able to drive it over to his house... it shifted a little rough but it made it... he took a look at it and we drove it around and found that it would hit about 2000-2500 rpms and it would feel like it was "misfiring" or something but it would struggle for a second or two and then it would shift... it happened everytime it would up shift while accelerating... i also noticed that the traction control turned itself off and the slip light turned on... we got it back to his house and i was gonna leave but then it would not run again... it would start but instantly die this time... the SES light was also on this whole time but it had been for about 3 years... this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me with this car... its at 124k miles... any suggestions??
Did you mean Mass Airlfow sensor? I think you did. When you and your friend were playing around with it and it was limited to the 2500 RPM's, was the MAF connected then?

Sounds like a MAF. Best thing to do now is to connect the MAF if it's not already, and get the codes read.

cause almost every other car i see that has a modded motor is an manual. and the fact that most autos cant handle the mods themselves. i would love to find a 6 speed, but ppl in my area r too damn proud of what they have and want too much for their car.
Buy an auto if you can't find a manual, mod it,.

Profit??
Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you mean Mass Airlfow sensor? I think you did. When you and your friend were playing around with it and it was limited to the 2500 RPM's, was the MAF connected then?

Sounds like a MAF. Best thing to do now is to connect the MAF if it's not already, and get the codes read.
Thanks... Yes I think I did mean that... I am getting the codes read tonight... While playing around with it, we had the MAF sensor plugged back in... it seemed to operate the same with it plugged in or unplugged... when it died for good, we tried it with it in and out and it wouldnt stay running either way..

In the mean time, I am using a Chevy Venture! so far is has lived up to its name... quite the adventure
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by dr_dan
Thanks... Yes I think I did mean that... I am getting the codes read tonight... While playing around with it, we had the MAF sensor plugged back in... it seemed to operate the same with it plugged in or unplugged... when it died for good, we tried it with it in and out and it wouldnt stay running either way..

In the mean time, I am using a Chevy Venture! so far is has lived up to its name... quite the adventure
On the Chevy Venture.

My MAF crapped out on me a few month back. It was giving me intermittent problems as you describe. One day nothing past 2500, the next, perfect ... the next, just die randomly. Seem to happen more often when it was chillier. Bought a new MAF for 55$ and transferred my old IAT(thermistor) and perfect again.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

On the Chevy Venture.

My MAF crapped out on me a few month back. It was giving me intermittent problems as you describe. One day nothing past 2500, the next, perfect ... the next, just die randomly. Seem to happen more often when it was chillier. Bought a new MAF for 55$ and transferred my old IAT(thermistor) and perfect again.
Let's pretend my knowledge of cars and their repair is limited... Where is this "IAT" and when you say you transferred it, where did you transfer it to? Or I guess I am looking for some further explanation. Thanks for all your help so far...

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread