5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Souled0ut1
Haaa wait I just checked it out...are you just playing around with the newbie kinda like selling the new freshmen a pool pass?!? Do ppl really make ghetto CAI's and they work better and hold up better than some of these aftermarket kits? If so it should be called a McGyver CAI or something....

...for real?!?
Yes, for real. It's called the GAB. Ghetto air box. The how-to here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ab-design.html

I had this at one time, but ended up drilling a bunch of 1" holes in the top of the filter holder instead.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 00nismomax
i heard that the timing advance can mess up the max...thats wah the tech at nissan said to me...is this true?
the tech is a retard, the 2 degree timing advance allows your car to burn gas more efficiently plus gives you a little hp boost, basically your spark plug fires sooner causing a more complete burn of gasoline, i got my timing advance done at around 40k now im at 156k and engine still runs like a rolex
Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mmvit
hey i just got a 2001 se, with cloth interior.. i really want leather, any one know where i cna buy seats that will fit the brackets online?
There are sites that allow you to email a bunch of wreckers that may or may not have seats, who'll email you back.

If you want new upholstery for existing seats, you should be able to get aftermarket leather covers from a number of places. A friend had covers from http://katzkin.com/ in his Pontiac Vibe, and they were pretty darn nice. Probably cheaper and better in the long run.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
There are sites that allow you to email a bunch of wreckers that may or may not have seats, who'll email you back.
http://car-part.com/
Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
pcj
Newbie - Just Registered

shop got oil on new power steering belt

I have a 2000 Maxima @100k that a shop just replaced the power steering pump and high pressure hose on because it was leaking all over the belt and screeching on startup. (Yes, the problem was probably just one of those two, but they both eventually went out on my other 2000 Maxima with 150k so I don't mind doing them both.)

The shop is normally really good, but when I went to pick my car up this evening from their lot I noticed a small pool of PS fluid on the ground underneath it and it made the exact same squeal on startup. I talked with the mechanic who did the work, and apparently he didn't get the hose fitting tightened all the way when he did the first test and dumped a bit of fluid in there. He says he cleaned everything up top out pretty well (and I verified, no oil or cleaner residue to be found from the top), but some of the fluid pooled below and dripped out.

I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't tell me this when I paid and will talk with the shop owner Monday.

Questions:
* how long will it take before the squealing (1-2 seconds on cold starts) stops?
* how bad is for my new belt? If I'd goofed like this I'd probably pull the belt, wash it in a gentle degreaser, and clean the pulleys the best I could, but I'm okay with "good enough" if it'll only be a few days and isn't likely to be too bad long term.

Thanks!
Peter
Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

aight..imma ask another tech to do a 2deg. advance..when u leave the battery off on the max it clears the data...so if i did the advance and then had to do some work on my car n left da battery off..would i have to go back for dem to do a timing advance again?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Suggestions for customizing my car?

First of all, I bought my 2000 Maxima 3 months ago and been viewing this site ever since. This site is top notch! Especially the tech advice...

I'm not in need of any tech advice, but I'm trying to do some MINOR customizing on my Maxima. I just tinted my windows, ordered HALO headlights, and blue XENON foglights (stuff in that price range). I'm performing the minor customization before the bodykits and painting, since it's less timely and cheaper. I ran out of ideas and need some suggestions in this price range.

Last edited by clayg80; 01-16-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 00nismomax
aight..imma ask another tech to do a 2deg. advance..when u leave the battery off on the max it clears the data...so if i did the advance and then had to do some work on my car n left da battery off..would i have to go back for dem to do a timing advance again?
No.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

aight thanks for your help guys
Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by clayg80
First of all, I bought my 2000 Maxima 3 months ago and been viewing this site ever since. This site is top notch! Especially the tech advice...

I'm not in need of any tech advice, but I'm trying to do some MINOR customizing on my Maxima. I just tinted my windows, ordered HALO headlights, and blue XENON foglights (stuff in that price range). I'm performing the minor customization before the bodykits and painting, since it's less timely and cheaper. I ran out of ideas and need some suggestions in this price range.
Get an intake, exhaust and headers. Also suspension, either coilovers or spring/strut. Forget the bodykits.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 AM

lately i been having stalling issues with my 2k gle... I'm wondering if its the MAF or if its a fuel related problem. It usually stalls out on me when I come to a stop, 20-40 secs later the car's rpms drop to about 500 then stalls out... If i tap the gas before it doest that, it stays on but sometimes it just does it back to back... Its getting on my nerves.

I just replace the alternator because the idiots at autozone told me it was bad after they did their little test. (got it for free after cursing the guys out for making me take it out for nothing)

So is it the Maf, fuel filter, I dont know... If anyone is in the triangle area (NC) i would love to meet up and perhaps do a Maf swap just to make sure thats the problem. It used to do it every now and then... Now is every time i come to a stop.

Thanks for the help guys...

D.

PS: i have done tons of searches thats why im coming to the conclusion is could be the MAF.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey I have a 2000 Maxima GLE. I read alot on this site already trying to find out what i should do to my car, but I haven't found a good answer to what it may be. So basically I bought the car in the Summer, and the car ran fine in the warm weather. Ever since the weather has gotten cold, it has been having problems. When I try to start my car in the morning, it starts right up but then jerks and idles down and stalls, unless I hold the gas pedal at about 2k-2.5k rpms and let it warm up. As long as the motor is warm, I don't have this problem, but the colder it is the worse it gets. The only thing i've done so far is cleaned, then changed the MAF sensor, but that didn't help. I know im not the only one that has had this problem, but I can't seem to find an answer or get much help. Anything would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 PM

new with to the nissan scene

i have always been a honda person but i wanted a changed so i went to nissan i have had an 2001 altima for about 3 yrs now, i needed another car so i bought a 2000 maxima not to long after buying it i got a SES light i took it to get looked at and was told that its the idler air control valve, my question is have any of you had this problem???
Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by soto2635
i have always been a honda person but i wanted a changed so i went to nissan i have had an 2001 altima for about 3 yrs now, i needed another car so i bought a 2000 maxima not to long after buying it i got a SES light i took it to get looked at and was told that its the idler air control valve, my question is have any of you had this problem???
If you search, you'll find that yes, many people have.

Replace the IACV with a new one, hope that you catch it before it damages the ECU.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If you search, you'll find that yes, many people have.

Replace the IACV with a new one, hope that you catch it before it damages the ECU.
thanks is this something i can do myself by just swaping it or does it involve something else?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi. I have a quick question. My car just threw the 1147 code and the SES light is on. I know that code is for a bad O2 sensor. Am I doing any damage not fixing it right away? I understand performance suffers but I am just concerned about doing any damage at this point. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by SunDown13X
lately i been having stalling issues with my 2k gle... I'm wondering if its the MAF or if its a fuel related problem. It usually stalls out on me when I come to a stop, 20-40 secs later the car's rpms drop to about 500 then stalls out... If i tap the gas before it doest that, it stays on but sometimes it just does it back to back... Its getting on my nerves.

I just replace the alternator because the idiots at autozone told me it was bad after they did their little test. (got it for free after cursing the guys out for making me take it out for nothing)

So is it the Maf, fuel filter, I dont know... If anyone is in the triangle area (NC) i would love to meet up and perhaps do a Maf swap just to make sure thats the problem. It used to do it every now and then... Now is every time i come to a stop.

D.

PS: i have done tons of searches thats why im coming to the conclusion is could be the MAF.

Try cleaning out the throttle with a wet rag sounds like your iacv might be clogged
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by matt06027
Hey I have a 2000 Maxima GLE. I read alot on this site already trying to find out what i should do to my car, but I haven't found a good answer to what it may be. So basically I bought the car in the Summer, and the car ran fine in the warm weather. Ever since the weather has gotten cold, it has been having problems. When I try to start my car in the morning, it starts right up but then jerks and idles down and stalls, unless I hold the gas pedal at about 2k-2.5k rpms and let it warm up. As long as the motor is warm, I don't have this problem, but the colder it is the worse it gets. The only thing i've done so far is cleaned, then changed the MAF sensor, but that didn't help. I know im not the only one that has had this problem, but I can't seem to find an answer or get much help. Anything would be appreciated, thanks.
try cleaning the throttle body, when metals get cold they shrink, and if you have built up dirt on your butterfly valve it could be causing a blockage of air getting through your throttle body
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by pcj
I have a 2000 Maxima @100k that a shop just replaced the power steering pump and high pressure hose on because it was leaking all over the belt and screeching on startup. (Yes, the problem was probably just one of those two, but they both eventually went out on my other 2000 Maxima with 150k so I don't mind doing them both.)

The shop is normally really good, but when I went to pick my car up this evening from their lot I noticed a small pool of PS fluid on the ground underneath it and it made the exact same squeal on startup. I talked with the mechanic who did the work, and apparently he didn't get the hose fitting tightened all the way when he did the first test and dumped a bit of fluid in there. He says he cleaned everything up top out pretty well (and I verified, no oil or cleaner residue to be found from the top), but some of the fluid pooled below and dripped out.

I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't tell me this when I paid and will talk with the shop owner Monday.

Questions:
* how long will it take before the squealing (1-2 seconds on cold starts) stops?
* how bad is for my new belt? If I'd goofed like this I'd probably pull the belt, wash it in a gentle degreaser, and clean the pulleys the best I could, but I'm okay with "good enough" if it'll only be a few days and isn't likely to be too bad long term.

Thanks!
Peter
get under the hood with a flashlight, from the side you can get a view at the power steering pump and hoses and see if any are leaking also check your power steering fluid if it drops after a couple days then you still got a leak
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by stitch97124
Hi. I have a quick question. My car just threw the 1147 code and the SES light is on. I know that code is for a bad O2 sensor. Am I doing any damage not fixing it right away? I understand performance suffers but I am just concerned about doing any damage at this point. Thank you!
P1147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Maximum Voltage Monitoring (Bank 1)
It wont damage your car but your gas mileage might get crappy since your cars ecu goes into limp/safe mode
Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM

update i swapped out the IACV, with no luck i clean out the trlottle body and put on the new sensor now i still get the SES light and Now it also idles up and down, what else could it be???

ive checked for vaccume leaks, and theres no air int the line, or low on coolant.

Last edited by soto2635; 01-18-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 AM

try leaving the battery unplugged overnight then in the morning do the idle relearn procedure, search for it in the 5th gen forum
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
try leaving the battery unplugged overnight then in the morning do the idle relearn procedure, search for it in the 5th gen forum
i also did that last night and tried to turn it on in this morning still idled rough.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

try cleaning the throttle body, when metals get cold they shrink, and if you have built up dirt on your butterfly valve it could be causing a blockage of air getting through your throttle body
oh alright thank you for the suggestion. is it hard to clean the throttle body? i'd like to do it myself if its not very complicated
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Question about P0455 Emission Control System Leak on my 2005 Max. Any idea what could be the problem? I put in new gas cap , erased the codes, and after a drive code still comes back up, any help?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check Engine Light. Mechanic says its a Crank Sensor code. I was told one rear and one front is bad.

Is there any way I can figure out which of the crank sensors are bad myself? Does anyone have any diagrams/pictures of where the crank sensors are? I'd like to replace them myself.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SunDown13X

D.

that was the same problem i had on my max wen im at a stop it will stall out or somrimes die...its the MAF sensor...
Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by MAXI BLUE 03
I own a 2003 SE TE and am looking into some nice aftermarket rims, i have never bought aftermarket rims before and i want to buy a decent set that look slick and won't bend too easy($300ea range). i was told if i lower the weight of the rim from the 24lbs (stock wheels) to about 21lbs, the ride would be a little smoother? Is this true?

Any suggestions on a Brand or an actual set? I love the finish on the TE rims.

Thanks
i got some 19inch Falkens for sale check em out on my pics or give me a call or text im asking 500 for them 626-393-4513
Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by speedracer6
Hey guys, I couldn't find much on a google search or of this site.

Does anyone know how complex it would be to upgrade a 2002 SE 6 speed by adding traction control or LSD from a donor car?

Thanks

Jeff
Can I at least get an "I've never heard of such a thing" or "who'd be dumb enough to buy a Maxima w/o traction control" or "Pedro's done it and says its a PITA"?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
BMW-foo is BMW mechanical skills/understanding/instinct. I have also never met a BMW that didn't make me feel inflexible

You mean it sounded like your starter turning a slurpee machine at 7-11? That's very, very bad.

The overflow tank cap probably varies on these - don't screw it down like it's a radiator cap - see below.

Well, had you opened the radiator cap you would either have been burned by steam or splashed with hot coolant. The spitting happens when the .8 or so additional atmospheres are removed and fluid that was happily hot at pressure suddenly evaporates.

Agreed on the head gaskets (ain't that a BMW thing?), but if it's because you froze the coolant in the engine it's highly likely that the freezing coolant is what exerted undue pressure on the hg, causing it to fail. In other words, there is little stress on the cylinder to head seals in that case.

Okay, so I'll explain you the differences between your Max and a BMW cooling system:

BMW cooling systems (let's say, a 1985 318i / E30 type), just like a Golf IV, don't have overflow tanks. They have expansion tanks, which are under pressure, and this is where the pressure cap sits. There are usually a couple of hoses going there, and coolant under pressure circulates through the tank while the vehicle is operating. When you fill one full with the engine running, seal it, it'll work out the air bubbles pretty much on its own.

Most Nissans (all sold in north america, I am pretty sure), Toyotas, GM's and Fords have an overflow tank. What happens here is that as pressure builds within the cooling system and the coolant expands, the pressure cap will allow some to escape, which goes into a tube that ends in the bottom of the tank. When the engine cools and the coolant contracts, the pressure goes negative and the coolant is siphoned back from the overflow tank into the system. More retarded designs have bleed screws to let the air out of places in the engine where it accumulates (think Dodge Omni/K-Car non-Mitsubishi and non-VW engines).

Herein lies the issue: The overflow tank system pretty much depends on the cooling system to be 100% full. It has some tolerance, as any air bubbles "should" accumulate in the high and calm point of the system (under the cap) and be pushed out during expansion, and having fluid drawn back in during contraction. However, when you're a quart of coolant short, this won't work in any time frame you'd consider "reasonable".

You fill both systems the same, BUT on overflow systems you must wait for the thermostat to open to top up all the way. On expansion tank systems you should wait.

You're left with the brute force method. The usual warnings about neeing to know what you're doing, keeping objects and body parts away from moving engine parts, and I am not liable if you hurt yourself and/or your puppy dies apply:

1. Open radiator. Fill with coolant.

2. Start car, turn heat to maximum, top up coolant.

3. Let engine warm until thermostat opens (top rad hose will warm up suddenly) and top up again.

4. Rev engine a bit higher, top up, close rad cap.

5. Fill overflow tank half way.

6. Put jug of coolant and a jug of water in the trunk.

7. Go for a drive. Run it normally for some time - don't rev the **** out of it, race people on route 29, or whatever.

8. Have lunch, letting engine cool.

9. Check coolant level in the rad again.

If that turned out okay, you should be okay. If your Maxima's ECU is not throwing SES codes at you, your head gasket is probably okay too - O2 sensors and knock sensors have a way of picking that sort of thing up most of the time.

If it overheats at step 3, your slush machine bent something on the thermostat.

If it overheats at step 7, your water pump didn't like being the slurpee machine agitator, and whatever is holding the blades to the water pump shaft busted somehow.

Best of luck - hope this is helpful.
You sir, are a good man. BMW-foo... I need to remember that. Haha. The Porsches are far worse, especially the 928 and any 911 series past '94 (993 on).

I'll see if I can get someone in the fam to check it out for me.

Regarding the SES light, are these the types often times tripped by O2 sensors, gas caps, and other emission components, are are these true "oh ****" lights? Mine tripped before but turned off before I got the chance to deal with it. I never flashed the codes.

Thanks a bunch!!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, thanks for the info. I took the car in today and had the sensor replaced ($99 for labor, $200 for the part). Drove off the lot, no light. At the second start the SES came back on... I am going to take it to Autozone tomorrow to run the code before I take it back to the repair place so I know what is going on but any idea what else to expect might be happening now? This car has been really good to me but I hate to throw money at it to replace things only to keep having the light come on with a new problem. I know it's all a crap shoot with a car with 100k on it, but... they inspected it and said the only other things wrong were dirty power steering fluid and the need for left wheel bearings... and it has always run strong. Thanks again for the advice!

P1147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Maximum Voltage Monitoring (Bank 1)
It wont damage your car but your gas mileage might get crappy since your cars ecu goes into limp/safe mode
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Hi, thanks for the info. I took the car in today and had the sensor replaced ($99 for labor, $200 for the part). Drove off the lot, no light. At the second start the SES came back on... I am going to take it to Autozone tomorrow to run the code before I take it back to the repair place so I know what is going on but any idea what else to expect might be happening now? This car has been really good to me but I hate to throw money at it to replace things only to keep having the light come on with a new problem. I know it's all a crap shoot with a car with 100k on it, but... they inspected it and said the only other things wrong were dirty power steering fluid and the need for left wheel bearings... and it has always run strong. Thanks again for the advice!
$300 to get 1 O2 sensor replaced? Dude, you got seriously ripped off.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not a lot of options around my area for mechanics and I looked at the diagram and was not super comfortable doing it myself... I am fine with $300.. I am just not thrilled to have the SES light back on and was simply inquiring if anyone else had had this happen and what else might have occurred....

Originally Posted by xuimod
$300 to get 1 O2 sensor replaced? Dude, you got seriously ripped off.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 PM

Not a lot of options around my area for mechanics and I looked at the diagram and was not super comfortable doing it myself... I am fine with $300.. I am just not thrilled to have the SES light back on and was simply inquiring if anyone else had had this happen and what else might have occurred....
ouch man 300 bucks to replace a part that runs around 120 bucks, and these things are simple as heck to replace maybe check out the local forums to see if any other maxima owners by you would help you out, man i would of done this for you for like 50 bucks, im chicago-land area btw
Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Can I at least get an "I've never heard of such a thing" or "who'd be dumb enough to buy a Maxima w/o traction control" or "Pedro's done it and says its a PITA"?
to install traction control would be a waste of money you would need sensors, wheel knuckles, etc.....

since you say your car is a 6spd you should look for anyone selling a HLSD trans, its a helical limited slip differential that came stock in certain 02-03 6spd maximas
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Corbet
Check Engine Light. Mechanic says its a Crank Sensor code. I was told one rear and one front is bad.

Is there any way I can figure out which of the crank sensors are bad myself? Does anyone have any diagrams/pictures of where the crank sensors are? I'd like to replace them myself.
Do you have a scan tool or access to one? If you can get the codes that the scan tool shows just check them on this page and it will tell you which one
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ses-codes.html

check out this page should give you an idea as where they are located
http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1988_1990.html

Last edited by SuperStasiu; 01-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM

to install traction control would be a waste of money you would need sensors, wheel knuckles, etc.....

since you say your car is a 6spd you should look for anyone selling a HLSD trans, its a helical limited slip differential that came stock in certain 02-03 6spd maximas
If my car has ABS, then the sensors and knuckles should be the same right? I don't get why they weren't both part of the same package.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by TRBO GUY
You sir, are a good man. BMW-foo... I need to remember that. Haha. The Porsches are far worse, especially the 928 and any 911 series past '94 (993 on).

I'll see if I can get someone in the fam to check it out for me.

Regarding the SES light, are these the types often times tripped by O2 sensors, gas caps, and other emission components, are are these true "oh ****" lights? Mine tripped before but turned off before I got the chance to deal with it. I never flashed the codes.

Thanks a bunch!!
Cheers. You're right, late model Porsches make BMW's under-hood layouts look well thought out.

SES light will be on for a sec, along with the brake light, when you start the car to tell you the light is working and the ECU is alive. If the ECU detects something outside parameters it can't compensate for it'll flash the light. Yes, O2 sensors, whatever.

Like German gasoline engines' Motronic systems, you'd generally diagnose from intake on forward, even with O2 sensors. What Bosch calls an air mass sensor is called a MAF or mass airflow sensor(?). There are a couple of other weird terminology changes, but the components and diagnosis are pretty much the same.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM

If my car has ABS, then the sensors and knuckles should be the same right? I don't get why they weren't both part of the same package.

Thanks.
I'd suspect there are differences in the ABS control body. The ABS control module will most definitely be different. Whether the main ECU is also different is something one would check on at courtesyparts.com or somewhere.

It's also worth looking if other parts, like brake parts are different, but I'd think that as long as there is a wheel-is-turning pulse signal that would be what it would need to operate.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM

sounds

Hey guys...my 03 max makes sounds like crackling or perhaps knocking? when I accelerate.

I ordered my MAF which should be coming in soon, but i dont know if its that. Could it be my headers? Sounds to me like something in my exhaust. Then again what do i know...I thought id ask you pros

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread