5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have halogen assembly for headlight, need bulb for passenger side. What brand/model# should I buy?

Maxima 05
Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by mak101
I have halogen assembly for headlight, need bulb for passenger side. What brand/model# should I buy?

Maxima 05
05 maxima? not this forum...try the 6th gen forum
Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM

I have a click coming from my rear end , neither I nor my mechanic can figure out where its coming from . At first I thought it was maybe my exhaust but its firm on the rubber hangars so I'd have to hit a pothole pretty hard for that to happen. Its noticeable when I pull into driveways from an angle or pretend you're driving on a road thats made of speedbumps your hear the knocking sound. If I shake the car while its parked up and down I hear nothing .....any help ?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maxterror
I have a click coming from my rear end , neither I nor my mechanic can figure out where its coming from . At first I thought it was maybe my exhaust but its firm on the rubber hangars so I'd have to hit a pothole pretty hard for that to happen. Its noticeable when I pull into driveways from an angle or pretend you're driving on a road thats made of speedbumps your hear the knocking sound. If I shake the car while its parked up and down I hear nothing .....any help ?
It's probably one of your struts, or strut mounts. Although it's nearly impossible to diagnose anything with such a small amount of details.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Quick question:

Is there a vin number engraved on our transmissions? I'm looking to buy a used one, and want to verify the mileage....
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by LongIslandMax
It's probably one of your struts, or strut mounts. Although it's nearly impossible to diagnose anything with such a small amount of details.
There's not much more detail I can give , it only happens over bump or any dips in the road. If it is my strut or the mounts would I probably be looking at a repair situation or replace ?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Cletus

do you have a RSB?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine Cover

Where can I find a replacement engine cover for my Maxima?

2000 Maxima 5-Speed
145,000 Miles
Getting a 2nd Life...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nashville rookie
Where can I find a replacement engine cover for my Maxima?

2000 Maxima 5-Speed
145,000 Miles
Getting a 2nd Life...
dealership...ask for the 20th AE cover...only 00-01 model that had a factory engine cover
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM

Quick question:

Is there a vin number engraved on our transmissions? I'm looking to buy a used one, and want to verify the mileage....

anyone?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Cletus

Quick question:

i dont think so...i think the only VINs are on the dash, fire wall, and engine block
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
do you have a RSB?
rear strut tower brace ?..No
Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P1320 and P0430 Codes!!

I am a new owner of a 2000 Max (5th Gen) with 130k on the clock.
Everything was fine for a 40 mile test drive, the picked up and fine for another 50 mile trip home. As soon as home, not a minute sooner or later, Bam.. Check Engine light accompanied by the SLIP light and TCS off light..
Ive researched and alot of people are pointing towards coils.. But I am not getting a specific misfire code.. and do not wanna shell out $80 per cylinder just to have it not fix the problem...
has anyone ever had this?
The car doesnt seem to be sputtering or missing at all.. I even changed the spark plugs and it drives even better! But no misses that I can feel..
Any help would be apreciated.
Also when am i able to post on the website?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM

rear strut tower brace ?..No

Rear Sway Bar
Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 5th_ray
ok so i am a new member and new owner 00 Maxima GLE .. very excited
soo I would like to get an all in one radio DVD CD NAV.. whats a good one for my GLE?
I did it to mine. It was a super easy install and looks very factoryish too. I had to buy the gxe vent peice though to make it look right

The jensen is ok but It has is issues(nothing bad though just not enough poer to the speakers, so I had to buy an amp) Oh no high pass filters for the door speakers either
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Rear Sway Bar
Corrected...but still ..Nope...is that something that is recommended to get ?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM

It won't solve your problem if that's what you are asking. Getting a RSB would just improve handling.

I think you may have a bad shock, but can you describe the sound? Can you have someone ride in the back seat to pin point the general location?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Cletus

if you had one it could have caused the sound if not installed properly
Old 09-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Ok so a few min ago i decided to go see what the maxi could do on a straight road. I taped a launch from 0-70 and watched it over. I noticed that there was a tranny slip right after first gear getting into second (obv drive AT) The thing is that it went down a solid 500 rmps for a second then engaged again. Is there any reason for this? something fixable?
Also, i was getting pretty high numbers (bad) on the 0-60. I think its time for maf cleaning, round of seafoam, spark rep, and a number of other things....

Last edited by djshwini; 09-18-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM

So what was your 0 to 60 times? Cant be as bad as my 2K with an auto tranny. Im 8.1 seconds

Anyways I had my SES light come on and I now have to replace my coils. Are the coils on ebay OK(they range from $185 to $245 for all 6). I dont want to pay the $65 each for them at pepboys
Old 09-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by efanatic
So what was your 0 to 60 times? Cant be as bad as my 2K with an auto tranny. Im 8.1 seconds

Anyways I had my SES light come on and I now have to replace my coils. Are the coils on ebay OK(they range from $185 to $245 for all 6). I dont want to pay the $65 each for them at pepboys
You can try rockauto.com. They have cheap prices/good quality. IIRC they were $58 a piece.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by efanatic
Worse...... around 8.3.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 PM

Two questions in mind, try to search but's its kinda dificult searching one by one posts.

1 How much power can a stock A/T can handle in a 2003 Maxima
2 Does the stock suspension on a 03 Maxima feels like mmm bumpy? like, if it has much travel on the rear end, almos the feeling that it's gona max out the struts...

Sorry for the bad english LOL

I posted first on the 4 gen section u___u
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 AM

My clutch line is leaking and I need to know what to
Ask for when I go to the parts store.
Here is a pic of the line

What should I ask for?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 5th_ray
thanks SoonerFan and homeclaus..
ok so would a stillen intake work with the Evo II Exhaust for 00 Max.. or is there better intakes and exhaust ??
and is there such thing as bulbs for the guage or do i replace the whole guage ?(for color)
I am going to have to refer you to the intake and exhaust sections of the forums to see if there are any combinations that don't work well together. As a rule, if it's made for the engine, it should work. Intake and exhaust don't touch each other, so if each works alone, they both work together.

The gauges have bulbs behind them. There was someone here who did an awesome-looking job replacing them with blue LEDs.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Anyone have a valve train noise on cold start up? It seems to me that when I first start my 02 GLE in the morning I get a bit of valve train noise. Is there a valve adjustment interval?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Hi! Thanks so much for your input! My BIL fooled with the throttle I guess it was, something about a screw, it wouldn't move where you would put a screwdriver in, so he tightened it from the other side. Or, loosened it? I forget, LOL! Anyhow, it worked, but it's broken again. He's not home and I have kids to pick up so I ran down to the local jerk on the corner. I've been to him with this car before. Just wanted an idea of what needed fixing. He keeps yapping about the electronic motor mount and the 3500 needed to replace it. Today, I just wanted him to do whatever my BIL did to make the car not accelerate at will. He said, oh no, it's not that simple. I was like, ok, what about my IACV. No, it's not that simple. He proceeds to tell me that in THIS car, the electronic motor mount will cause the acceleration and idle problems. The last time I was there, he told me the electronic motor mount is the ONLY thing that will cause the car to make the CLUNKING sound when I turn or back up or start the car. He says there are NO other motor mounts on the car, ONLY electronic. My husband swears he saw the busted motor mount on this car and it is not electronic. I know there is a busted mount. But, in another forum for Nissan, I read that you can disconnect those stupid mounts and be happy. Can you? I also read about the MAF and I asked this jerk about that. Not that simple. Well, it's not gonna be THAT simple to get my money either!! GRRRR, that makes me mad . A woman walks in and that's all he can say? Even the lady that runs the place looked at him like he was crazy, LOL!

As for the junkyards, as crazy as it sounds, there are no 2001 Nissan Maxima SE's around. None of the PullAparts even in surrounding states, has one. I dont mind buying certain things new. If they cost a few hundred, that gets a bit scary, but the smaller stuff, I can do. It's just getting it put on that I can't seem to do. And I left the house today to get an oil change and fix the front tire. HAHA. I ended up putting her in park and she went crazy on me with the acclerator so I just brought her back home. Figured I'd talk to you guys some more. Hubby gets in this weekend, YAY! Pamela

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
Heartbreaking. It sounds like some ten-thumbed monkeys worked on the car before you bought it, and subjected it to classic redneck engineering. Re-implementing their workarounds is a recipe for more tears down the road.

If you have not sold it yet, you might still be able to save the car. There are no guarantees, but if you look at this as a project, driving the car later will be much more rewarding.

For one, disconnect the AC for now, and fix everything else (or at least diagnose it). Unhook the speaker cable turned power cable, pull the AC fuses (for all you know they blew and they decided to wire around it).

Now let's look at your idle/revving problem.

Get your BIL or someone competent (and not someone who only fixes 70's MOPAR stuff) to work through the systems. Clean the MAF per the instruction on this site. Make sure the monkeys didn't get to the wiring. Drop by an Autozone or other parts shop and rent a OBDII reader, the computers in the car will probably have a story to tell about what sensor isn't happy. The codes are listed on this site. One of my prior posts has links to the field service manual for your car, which you should download.

You can help whomever is helping you by calling local junkyards to see if they have the same model year of car there for you to perhaps salvage parts from.

Once you have the codes, I'll bet that some sort of position sensor will have failed. Re-seat the connection, and see if the code clears. If not. get the replacement from the junkyard, and have whoever will replace it in your car take it out per the instruction in the FSM. Why? Because this will be the "practice car." Oh, and remember to only work on ECU sensors when the battery is disconnected.

Repeat as required. You'll probably only have to to that once or twice. Have the mechanic be on the lookout for more redneck "repairs" while doing this, and replace connectors from the car in the junkyard as needed.

Once you get to this point, PM me, post here, and either I or someone else will get your AC working. There is a stereo replacement video for Maxima on Youtube that shows how the center console comes apart, and maybe picking up the AC control unit (that circuit board with the digital display and stuff) from the practice car would be wise.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pushon
Two questions in mind, try to search but's its kinda dificult searching one by one posts.

1 How much power can a stock A/T can handle in a 2003 Maxima
2 Does the stock suspension on a 03 Maxima feels like mmm bumpy? like, if it has much travel on the rear end, almos the feeling that it's gona max out the struts...

Sorry for the bad english LOL

I posted first on the 4 gen section u___u
No idea on the power handleing of the tranny but if you suspention is felling that bad I bet your struts are probably shot and needs to be replaced. My car felt that way and come to find out all my struts were shot. I replaced them in a few hours in my front yard and the car drives very very nice now
Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION...

I have a 2000 Maxima GLE. Something must've fell & shattered my sunroof glass. Because it is tempered, it is still intact but is "spider-webbed" to the fullest extent. Nissan parts will only sell the sunroof as a whole with the railings but it costs almost $600. I found two salvage yards that sell the OEM glass & its weatherproof stripping just by itself. My question is: if it is possible to just replace the glass and the stripping? I found a professional car glass repair shop that says they can do it as long as I get the OEM glass but I'm not sure if he is just trying to make a quick buck. The motor and tilt works fine. Any feedback is much appreciated and welcomed!

Moderators - please accept my apologies if I've posted this question incorrectly on this thread...

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Credit to SEmy2K2go & phenryiv1:

This thread is for the new members so that they are able to post a question. It can be ANYTHING that is 5th generation related. If we think it is important, we will either answer or make it into its own thread. If not, we will delete it.

This is only for LEGIT 5th Gen questions that may be specific to one user.

This is for noobs only and will be open only as long as we feel like maintaining it. SPAM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

This idea was brought to my attention by phenryiv1 in the I30(35) section

ALL MEMBER RESPONSES MUST BA A QUOTE OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION! New questions, obviously, need not have any quotes.

5th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=36867

Modification and other HOW-Tos (tells you how to do common things done to 5th Gens):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=33563

ECU Fault codes or Check Engine light diagnostics (5th Gen):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=374481

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SEARCH!!!
How do I search? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378748

Even if you are new and have no search privileges, you can read the Stickies (which we are working on to update), use the Google search method, or scan through the forum pages using the Find function on the browser (what I did when I first joined), or any other methods of research you may prefer, prior to just blurting out a question that has probably been asked before.

Please refrain from postwhoring in this thread. Since this thread is meant to help those who still cannot start their own threads, postwhoring just to reach 15 posts is inexcusable.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM

No that's fine to ask here. Yes the glass separates from the assembly. It's held on by four clips. In my sig is the link to the FSM the view on page 44 of the BT manual shows how it's connected.

After reading all that above it doesn't make much sense just go to page 44 of this pdf: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2000/bt.pdf
Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM

I know it has been discussed before but i didnt find my answer when i searched. So whenever the question of tire pressure was brought up, everyone said that they kept theirs at around 32-34. I looked on my tires (stock rims) and it said max 44 psi. Don't you have to keep it around 6-7 bellow that? i have been running at about 34-35 but the tires visually do look under inflated. Going on a long road trip, so would you guys recommend filling up to about 37 or leaving it.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by djshwini
I know it has been discussed before but i didnt find my answer when i searched. So whenever the question of tire pressure was brought up, everyone said that they kept theirs at around 32-34. I looked on my tires (stock rims) and it said max 44 psi. Don't you have to keep it around 6-7 bellow that? i have been running at about 34-35 but the tires visually do look under inflated. Going on a long road trip, so would you guys recommend filling up to about 37 or leaving it.
Ignore what the actual tire says. Look on the sticker in the drivers side door jam or under the arm rest door. I believe it says 32.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi. I just wanna get straight to the point. Now I do not have tons of info so I am just looking for a direction here.

One of my friends has an 03 Altima. The car drives fine, it does not shake or stutter. Doesnt make any funny noises...nothing. Sometimes the car just shuts off. There is nothing that happens before that...it just dies. Only when coming to a stop tho. Sometimes it will start right bac up and drive good and somtimes you have to let it sit for a few then it will start again.
Its really really iffy. sometimes when you start it back up its only good for another block before it cuts off again. And sometimes it rides all day.

I know theres not much info there but if someone could at least just push me in a direction that they might think is right.

Last edited by PUNKYOU007; 09-21-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Ignore what the actual tire says. Look on the sticker in the drivers side door jam or under the arm rest door. I believe it says 32.
Yeah your right, it says 32. But the thing is, the front 2 tires really look under inflated. Should i just leave it at 34-35, or take air out.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM

efanatic...what size is that screen???
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by djshwini
Yeah your right, it says 32. But the thing is, the front 2 tires really look under inflated. Should i just leave it at 34-35, or take air out.
Temperature when filling it does count tho.... And i've heard that it must be a diferent kind of pressure depending on if its for City Driving or For traveling.

Stock size is 215/55/r17 if im not wrong so maybe you should go whit a 33psi... but still your desition
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 PM

Q: How do i change from MPG to KMPL and from F to C of temperature... i search on the Users manual but i don't seem to find it!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know a good site to get amber fog lights? I dont want to just change the bulbs but would like the whole housing.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No check engine light on, can my issues be the MAF Sensor?

So my check engine light was on and it was a P1320 code I believe, a bad ignition coil... In addition to that, the CEL would cut on and off sporadically. If it was off, when I started my car in the AM, if I let it idle for awhile the check engine light would cut on and stay on for a few days. It started to idle bad once cranked next, like it wasnt running on all cylinders, but after driving it for 10-15 minutes it would run smoothly. It also started burning more gas. I usually get about 350 mp tank and I am lucky if I get 300 now. I brought it to my mechanic and he said it was a bad coil. He switched coil 1 and 3 to confirm it was in fact the coil and it was. When I picked it up on Friday, I drove it for about an hour and then it started having transmission problems. It could not switch to 3rd, (its an automatic but it wouldnt switch over) after putting it in park, then back in gear a few times it worked fine again. (No check engine light cut on) It drove fine until today (Tuesday), when it did the same thing with the transmission issue. I will also add that anytime I am at a redlight or in park, and my AC isn't on, my car will die. It has done this for months but my mechanic said not to worry about it until it starts doing it while I'm driving. Sounds crazy but I love my mechanic because he doesn't lie about things. In any case, today when I got home I looked up a few things and all my issues seem to be MAF sensor related. I called Carquest and got it for 70$ cheaper than anywhere else and they are delivering it to my mechanic in the AM.

With all these issues I am having, do y'all think it is in fact the MAF sensor? Is it odd that my check engine light is off and not coming on if it is the sensor? I was going to just take it to my guy for him to confirm before I bought it, but he is like the car whisperer usually as things don't act up around him, and if he can't duplicate the problem it is hard for him to troubleshoot it and be 100% accurate about what the issue is...

Thanks in advance for any help with this!!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PUNKYOU007
Hi. I just wanna get straight to the point. Now I do not have tons of info so I am just looking for a direction here.

One of my friends has an 03 Altima. The car drives fine, it does not shake or stutter. Doesnt make any funny noises...nothing. Sometimes the car just shuts off. There is nothing that happens before that...it just dies. Only when coming to a stop tho. Sometimes it will start right bac up and drive good and somtimes you have to let it sit for a few then it will start again.
Its really really iffy. sometimes when you start it back up its only good for another block before it cuts off again. And sometimes it rides all day.

I know theres not much info there but if someone could at least just push me in a direction that they might think is right.
This could be a few things, but it likely sounds like the torque converter isn't releasing when you stop. Something like that should be showing up as a code.

Originally Posted by Pushon
Q: How do i change from MPG to KMPL and from F to C of temperature... i search on the Users manual but i don't seem to find it!!!
For the temp display try this: To see metric, switch your trip computer to display the temp., and then press and hold the "Mode" button, and it will toggle between Celsius and Fahrenheit.

As for LPH you will need to source a Canadian cluster.

Originally Posted by FireJoe
Does anyone know a good site to get amber fog lights? I dont want to just change the bulbs but would like the whole housing.
I've only seen them on ebay. But a suggestion, install some lexus capsules and/or get 3000K HID setup. I've seen the combination of both and it looks real good.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread