5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I have an '02 6spd. transmission non hlsd in parts FOR SALE. There was a cage bearing that was begining to fail so I had it replaced with an '04 with hlsd. I took some photos of what I have including the entire case if anyone is interested. just give me a call. I'm in MN -$150
Brandon 612-490-0638
The title of this thread is " 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread".

Your post belongs here - http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-2000-2003-42/
Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 PM
prl wht '02

The question would be, "Does anyone want to buy it?"
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
The question would be, "Does anyone want to buy it?"

This is a newbie question thread, not the classifieds.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:57 PM

HEELPP!!!!

ok guys.. so this is what happened i took of the headlamp assembly of my girls eclipse and resealed it bc some water was getting into it.. well on accident i put my finger on the head lamp and got some glue on. then my smart as$ got some goo gone and put it on the head lamp to "CLEAN" it.. well turns out the glue that it had on dissolved and now i have a freaking stain in the glass of the housing... please someone tell me what can i do to make this dang stuff get off.. anything u can tell me helps..

thanks!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by pepox369
HEELPP!!!!

ok guys.. so this is what happened i took of the headlamp assembly of my girls eclipse and resealed it bc some water was getting into it.. well on accident i put my finger on the head lamp and got some glue on. then my smart as$ got some goo gone and put it on the head lamp to "CLEAN" it.. well turns out the glue that it had on dissolved and now i have a freaking stain in the glass of the housing... please someone tell me what can i do to make this dang stuff get off.. anything u can tell me helps..

thanks!!!
Start looking for another girlfriend...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
Start looking for another girlfriend...
haha thats not an option.. i guess i will have to work my butt off so i can buy her new ones.. but im gonna hit autozone see if they have anything.. but man.. the glue dissolved and its like a fuc&in plastic melted on top of it.. u think paint thinner would get it off?

thanks..
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by pepox369
haha thats not an option.. i guess i will have to work my butt off so i can buy her new ones.. but im gonna hit autozone see if they have anything.. but man.. the glue dissolved and its like a fuc&in plastic melted on top of it.. u think paint thinner would get it off?

thanks..
Man,..... I would be afraid to use paint thinner in that area. It is a strong solvent and you don't wanna make matters worse. I would think that the same goo gone would take care of that stain.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

yeah im a ricer and i had my airbox "popped" (just took the filter out and turned it around) today to hear teh VIAS. well anyway when i had it like this the car felt like it was misfiring/hesitating/falling on its face HARD. as soon as i put the filter normal the car pulled fine. MAF on its way out? any help is appreciated thanks guys
Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
yeah im a ricer and i had my airbox "popped" (just took the filter out and turned it around) today to hear teh VIAS. well anyway when i had it like this the car felt like it was misfiring/hesitating/falling on its face HARD. as soon as i put the filter normal the car pulled fine. MAF on its way out? any help is appreciated thanks guys
Let me see if I understand this correctly: you took the filter out and turned it around, so that the side of the filter that has all the dirt particles collected between its fins is now facing the MAF, allowing all that dirt to be sucked in?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Let me see if I understand this correctly: you took the filter out and turned it around, so that the side of the filter that has all the dirt particles collected between its fins is now facing the MAF, allowing all that dirt to be sucked in?
The energy in that dirt alone is worth 10hp
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM

no, you dont understand correctly. at the time it was a < 20 mile K&N drop-in. now that you most likely understand, can you give me any thoughts on the issue? if not, kindly go blow yourself in your 5th gen sir

Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need OEM part numbers for front and rear brake pads for a 2003 Maxima SE. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
no, you dont understand correctly. at the time it was a < 20 mile K&N drop-in. now that you most likely understand, can you give me any thoughts on the issue? if not, kindly go blow yourself in your 5th gen sir
Ouch....
It's a good thing you did it at <20 miles because they remain completely spotless up to that point and start collecting dirt right at 21.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 10-20-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 AM

whats a reasonable time to shoot for a n/a max wit full boltons
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP!!! Just bought a high Mileage Max... big mistake!!!

hey,

well i just got a 2000 maxima se auto in white/grey leather interior. car looks sharp! it has black tinted windows, clean body, new tires and brakes.
I got the car for only $4000 since it has 173k miles... pretty high, but a clean two owner car.

now the problem is...

two days after i bought it, didn't even drive it more than 50 miles... the car starts leaking coolant... i think the waterpump is gone. i had a friend look at it, he recommends new timing belts, fresh oil change and radiator flush...

the gas tank cover on the inside has oil in it.. could it be mixin oil and gas?

now i need some guidance from you maxima experts on what i should do next... return the sucka back to the dealer or fix the repairs (if they are cheap and easy) and keep the car???

i bought this car as a beater/daily driver from work to home and back...
Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by rudeboim3
hey,

well i just got a 2000 maxima se auto in white/grey leather interior. car looks sharp! it has black tinted windows, clean body, new tires and brakes.
I got the car for only $4000 since it has 173k miles... pretty high, but a clean two owner car.

now the problem is...

two days after i bought it, didn't even drive it more than 50 miles... the car starts leaking coolant... i think the waterpump is gone. i had a friend look at it, he recommends new timing belts, fresh oil change and radiator flush...

the gas tank cover on the inside has oil in it.. could it be mixin oil and gas?

now i need some guidance from you maxima experts on what i should do next... return the sucka back to the dealer or fix the repairs (if they are cheap and easy) and keep the car???

i bought this car as a beater/daily driver from work to home and back...
Not sure what makes you think the water pump is gone, but leaking coolant without knowing where it is coming from should not be one of the reasons. A coolant leak could come from anywhere on the cooling system, including pin holes on aging hoses. Try to find the source.
You should replace the accessory belts (not timing belts) if they look worn out. Changing oil and filter and flushing radiator are common maintenace items, you should do that, especially if you don't know when was the last time they were done.
Not sure why the oil on the inside of the gas tank cover, but if you are not having issues with car sputtering or anything like that, why worry? Just wipe it off.
Lastly, I don't know if you have a return policy on the car, but if you plan on keeping it you should get pretty familiar with maintenance and repair costs and procedures. You should also consider becoming a do-it-yourselfer in order to save some moola.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure what makes you think the water pump is gone, but leaking coolant without knowing where it is coming from should not be one of the reasons. A coolant leak could come from anywhere on the cooling system, including pin holes on aging hoses. Try to find the source.
You should replace the accessory belts (not timing belts) if they look worn out. Changing oil and filter and flushing radiator are common maintenace items, you should do that, especially if you don't know when was the last time they were done.
Not sure why the oil on the inside of the gas tank cover, but if you are not having issues with car sputtering or anything like that, why worry? Just wipe it off.
Lastly, I don't know if you have a return policy on the car, but if you plan on keeping it you should get pretty familiar with maintenance and repair costs and procedures. You should also consider becoming a do-it-yourselfer in order to save some moola.
yea i guess this car needs some TLC... will take it to a local mechanic and have it checked out before turning it in. i got the car from a friend who owns a small dealership... he should not have too much of a problem if i return it. do you think these cars are reliable at high mileage? what's the max anyone has on their 2000 max on this forum.. i'd like to know
Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM

yea i guess this car needs some TLC... will take it to a local mechanic and have it checked out before turning it in. i got the car from a friend who owns a small dealership... he should not have too much of a problem if i return it. do you think these cars are reliable at high mileage? what's the max anyone has on their 2000 max on this forum.. i'd like to know
These cars are reilable even with high mileage; I guess it all depends on whether the car has been abused or not. Mine has 159k, not too far from yours. It is reliable and still going strong. Some org members have cars with mileage much more higher than yours or mine. There is actually a thread (or threads) somewhere around here, dedicated to posting the mileage of the cars.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

is it worth it to swap trannys????? auto to manual????

I just got a 2001 20th anv. edition.... I tried to fine a stick in the area but no luck and i was wondering if the swap is worth it. I want to do mods will the automatic handle a turbo or supercharger???
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by devilman78
I just got a 2001 20th anv. edition.... I tried to fine a stick in the area but no luck and i was wondering if the swap is worth it.
That's up to you. If you want a 5MT and can't find one, then I'd imagine you would find it to be worth it.

Originally Posted by devilman78
will the automatic handle a turbo or supercharger???
Yes.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

fan amp or blower motor?

Hi guys,
It's been a while since I've visited... 2 yrs I got a new car and gave the max to my wife-- 2003 SE sterling mist, gray int, a/t, titanium edition..65K miles. great car, still looks brand new inside and out.

The other day ac/heat fan was stuck on high despite efforts to shut it off using the electronic controls. I did a heavy search and I assumed this was the fan amp since the blower was still running. Then a few days later the blower motor stopped working as well. I couldn't follow the diagnosis pdfs and I can't solder, so that means I'll probably have to buy both the fan amp and the blower motor to figure it out, I just don’t know which to replace first?…

any info is appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by JVMAXTN; 10-20-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all. After years of dreaming and fantasy time I was able to finally become a Nissan Maxima owner. The car I bought was a 2001 SE 5 speed with air. Appears based on tests outlined in the Haynes repair manual my voltage regulator is gone. Need to change the alternator. It appears though it took some stuff out with it. It fried what I was told by the local Nissan retailer JUST the cruise control computer. On my car located in the center counsel and accessed by removing the stereo. Now I am being told that this computer not working may also be causing the lack of a speedometer, tachometer, gas gauge and temp gauge. Can somone please provide some accurate insight as to what else this box controls and any other ideas what may cause the all the gauges to go out.BTW all the lights (warning, turn, back light, high beam indicator, air bag indicator) all work on the box, just not the 4 gauges themselves.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 AM

Hello, 1st post! Great to be a part of the Maxima Forum.

Purchased a 163K 2000 Max GLE and can not even begin to start getting it up to par. The purchase was pretty quick, had to find a replacement for a 95 Camry which was totaled (no one hurt, one of those bad hits) and ended up a GOOD find, I think.

1st things first, I need a touch up paint, the color is Grey. How do I find the color code? I do not have a copy of the Owner’s manual, but thanks to this forum, I have downloaded one.
Thanks.

Last edited by mandyfig; 10-21-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

These cars are reilable even with high mileage; I guess it all depends on whether the car has been abused or not. Mine has 159k, not too far from yours. It is reliable and still going strong. Some org members have cars with mileage much more higher than yours or mine. There is actually a thread (or threads) somewhere around here, dedicated to posting the mileage of the cars.
well i found out what the issue was.... the radiator was leaky on the top left corner. the coolant that was leaking was burning below and making smoke come out of the car.... i also took the car to autozone for the 'check engine sign' errors... the two errors found were P0172 and P0174. from what i read, i guess it's just o2 sensors.... any tip on what else i should be looking at while the car is at the shop?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold start starter noise

Only on cold starts is there a fix or will i need a new starter?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM

Cold start noise means bearings are out, maybe.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 AM

I got a question.

My speedometer is off, when I'm going around 120kph(according to my speedometer) my real speed is about 129kph(according to my GPS).
I had in the front and back 215/55R17, the stock size is 225/50R17, so I always figured that was the reason my speedometer was off.

So the other day I pickup 2 tires(225/50R17) and I put them on the front and the speedometer is still off.

Unless the rear tires need to be the correct size also, I'm stuck.... or could I just buy some smaller tires for the front, I have to buy 2 winters anyways)

thanks

Edit: I tried other GPS units too, same thing.

Last edited by TMoney_87; 10-21-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TMoney_87
I got a question.

My speedometer is off, when I'm going around 120kph(according to my speedometer) my real speed is about 129kph(according to my GPS).
I had in the front and back 215/55R17, the stock size is 225/50R17, so I always figured that was the reason my speedometer was off.

So the other day I pickup 2 tires(225/50R17) and I put them on the front and the speedometer is still off.

Unless the rear tires need to be the correct size also, I'm stuck.... or could I just buy some smaller tires for the front, I have to buy 2 winters anyways)

thanks

Edit: I tried other GPS units too, same thing.
I would think that the margin of error is greater on any GPS than in any car speedometer running stock size tires. Your car speedometer is based on the revolutions of your front tires in direct relationship with the diameter of the same tires.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hello, 1st post! Great to be a part of the Maxima Forum.

Purchased a 163K 2000 Max GLE and can not even begin to start getting it up to par. The purchase was pretty quick, had to find a replacement for a 95 Camry which was totaled (no one hurt, one of those bad hits) and ended up a GOOD find, I think.

1st things first, I need a touch up paint, the color is Grey. How do I find the color code? I do not have a copy of the Owner’s manual, but thanks to this forum, I have downloaded one.
Thanks.
You might want to download a copy of the Factory Sevice Manual (FSM) too. It comes very handy. Check the diagram below (taken from the FSM):

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM

I would think that the margin of error is greater on any GPS than in any car speedometer running stock size tires. Your car speedometer is based on the revolutions of your front tires in direct relationship with the diameter of the same tires.
thanks, but even those speed signs on the side of the road indicate the speedometer is off.

I'm just hoping to be able to fix this myself or have a work around(i hate always the GPS). Theres no way I'm taking it into the mechanic/dealership to get it fixed because they'll enter it into the vehicles history then bingo the cars worth zero dollars. Speedometer off = Odometer off.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM

The FSM link is down right now. I am itching to get on this Maxima so bad.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by TMoney_87
thanks, but even those speed signs on the side of the road indicate the speedometer is off.

I'm just hoping to be able to fix this myself or have a work around(i hate always the GPS). Theres no way I'm taking it into the mechanic/dealership to get it fixed because they'll enter it into the vehicles history then bingo the cars worth zero dollars. Speedometer off = Odometer off.
If in fact your speedometer is wrong, at least is working to your advantage by putting less mileage on your car (for reselling purposes) than what your are actually covering.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM

If in fact your speedometer is wrong, at least is working to your advantage by putting less mileage on your car (for reselling purposes) than what your are actually covering.
That is true, like who goes on a test drive with a GPS??, no one. So thats a plus... I guess.

I think I'll just stick to my GPS, and keep living with it.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Man, I just bought a 2000 nissan maxima for 4100 bucks with 97k miles.. think it was worth it? I had to put 630 in total for new blower motor, steering wheel pump and pipe. and 180 for full tune up. worth it? :O?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dankiel
Man, I just bought a 2000 nissan maxima for 4100 bucks with 97k miles.. think it was worth it? I had to put 630 in total for new blower motor, steering wheel pump and pipe. and 180 for full tune up. worth it? :O?
i bought my 2000 maxima se for $3900 with 174k miles... i think you are in better shape than i am

getting a new radiator and two O2 sensors installed ... ~$200 more
Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Recommendations

Hi guys,

I have a grey 2003 Maxima. It is an auto with 109K miles on it. Have had it since new in 03. I had serious tranny trouble while under warranty and eventually got a new one. Having been interested in upgrading my Max for some time. I have looked at this site anonymously via Google searches for some time. Made some upgrades, but have a much longer list of wants. I wanted to ask what recommendations I could gather on new upgrades. Money is of course the drag on the rate of improvements. My apologies for the long post, and the laziness evidenced by the attempt at one stop shopping.

What I have:

Ingen CAI - installed myself, piece of cake
NGK spark plugs
NISMO radiator cap (Bling only?)
Cattman Headers and Y-Pipe combo
Secondary O2 sensors simulated
Test Pipe
Meaning...I have no cats. Muahaha. Fortunately I live in Alabama

Tranny only has about 60K miles on it. Valve Body about 55K.
Radiator is new (tore a leak for some unknown reason this year)
2 X 30% tent films
Brake dust covers
2 X radar detectors, front and rear - both hidden from view (yes I'm a lead foot) BEL Sti front, BEL 995 rear

Wants:

Front Strut tower Brace (can't be Stillen b/c they say not for automatics[wtf?])

Rear Sway Bar - I think I will get cattmans; it costs less than others I have seen. Is this correct? This is probably my top priority now.

RSTB - I have only seen this offered by Stillen. Not sure how needed it is with a RSB already in.

Performance Struts - lots of shopping needed to find decent price. This is big $$.

"Dropping it" with performance coil springs. Lots of places to get these. Not really leaning any where in particular yet.

Cat-back exhaust. These things are more expensive than they are worth IMHO. Also a giveaway to customization. There is a certain positive benefit for a speeder having a stock appearance. Of course "dropping" it would betray this too. MEH. Maybe I will get one. I think suspension upgrades are the priority right now.

Intake Manifold spacers - NWP is the only company that offers these so I guess there is little choice. This is a moderate priority.

Valve Body - have looked into getting this from Transgo. This is a moderately high priority. Part not expensive, but labor is sure to be.

Tranny fluid cooler. - Donno about more power, but helpful for keeping that tranny lasting a long time.

Oil cooler- meh..Maybe get one. Pretty low priority though

ECU - will NOT get JET. The reviews I have read on JET chips are BAD almost everywhere. Have looked into Techno Square, but definitely need pointers on this for a N/A car. I know to do all mods before getting the ECU tweaked.

Turbo- I would go with a turbo rather than a super, but I seriously doubt I will ever go this far. Just the parts cost around 5K.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 AM

I just bought a 2001 20th Anniversary Edition SE from my buddy, I have a couple questions but can not post them yet because I just registered, I would like wood interior trim as opposed to the silver around the shifter & door panels, if I get this from a 2002 GLE will it fit onto my car (i looked at pictures and saw it looked very similar) also my Bose sub is blown (not cutting out) I need to buy a replacement that works but don't want to spend $600 for a new one, I have the amp still does anybody have one to sell me or know where I can get one used? (I don't know the parts number so I couldn't find it anywhere) I'm looking at the K1 coil overs and I want 19" rims will this work? I want my iPod hooked up to my Bose system I found a "USA spec" product that chould work, does anybody have this and know if it works good? supposed to plug into the back wherer the CD changer (which I do not have) would go. Also wanting to do that "do it yourself" audi style headlight mod, where do I wire the led strips to?

thanks alot guys :-)
Old 10-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 20th01
I just bought a 2001 20th Anniversary Edition SE from my buddy, I have a couple questions but can not post them yet because I just registered, I would like wood interior trim as opposed to the silver around the shifter & door panels, if I get this from a 2002 GLE will it fit onto my car (i looked at pictures and saw it looked very similar) also my Bose sub is blown (not cutting out) I need to buy a replacement that works but don't want to spend $600 for a new one, I have the amp still does anybody have one to sell me or know where I can get one used? (I don't know the parts number so I couldn't find it anywhere) I'm looking at the K1 coil overs and I want 19" rims will this work? I want my iPod hooked up to my Bose system I found a "USA spec" product that chould work, does anybody have this and know if it works good? supposed to plug into the back wherer the CD changer (which I do not have) would go. Also wanting to do that "do it yourself" audi style headlight mod, where do I wire the led strips to?

Did you try any scrap yards in the area for a used bose sub?
You can do that if your really tight on money.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by dankiel
i bought my 2000 maxima se for $3900 with 174k miles... i think you are in better shape than i am

getting a new radiator and two O2 sensors installed ... ~$200 more
Your cars are 9 years old. Nothing is going to be perfect

Just read through here and fix what you can yourself and you'll save a lot of $$$
Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 20th01

I'm not sure if the 5th and 5.5 gen wiring is the same for windows. 2002 + 2003 models have the ability to roll down the front windows via remote. Download the FSM and see if the wires going to the switches are the same. If they are I dont see any issues. I doubt they changed the size of the trim pieces between those generations.

For cheap parts, look for part outs in the classifieds section.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread