5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engines

Will Vq35 heads go on Vq37 block By any chance? my 35 has some age now and if it goes want to know my options.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Suspension Yoda

Your engine is not likely to blow and need heads any time soon. Other parts will go first...transmission, radiator, alt, others.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 AM

how long will this baby last?

I have an '02 Maxima nearing 200k, and its still running pretty well. I bought it new, and have had it serviced regularly (every 3000 miles). My most recent problems were the MAF sensor, which I replaced myself, and the speed sensor relating to the transmission, which was replaced in the past month. I had a new radiator (w lifetime warranty) installed a couple of years ago.

My minor problems are it seems to idle lower than when it was new. I believe it used to idle between 900-1100, but now its more like 5-600. No check engine light is coming on but the transmission guy said he pulled an O2 sensor reading. Oddly, he wasn't interested in fixing this, so I have done nothing yet. Would this affect the idle? I believe there are 4 total O2 sensors and it sounds like approx 1000.00+ to replace all 4 and have the work done. Any comments as to how easy it might be (or not be) to DIY would be great.

My biggest problems are the following and I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of DIY solutions:
My power seats are not fully functional, the driver side allows me to move the seat back only, the pass. side doesn't work.
My lights around the auto ac/temp are are out on the right side but light up on the left side.
Never relied on it but the memory seat function no longer works.
Moonroof works on occasion, so I don't mess with it any more.
Would these problems possibly be fuse related or more likely circuit board related?
Also, how difficult is it to replace the fog light assembly. One light lens is cracked, and that bulb is out. The other is working fine.

These are all fairly minor as far as operating the vehicle, but I'd like to get another 6 months to a year out of this, and would like to get the drive side seat working if nothing else, but not for $5-600. I do drive it for a living, so many of my miles are "highway miles". Not a lot of stop and go. Bottom line, is any opinions on fixing some of these problems myself would be appreciated and is there anyone on here that has considerably more miles on this type of engine (5th generation)? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pre cat

HI all, I'm buying a 2001 Maxima GXE with 69k on it for my daughter. I've been going thru the forum trying to get caught up. How do you know about the precat problems, are there things that cause it i.e. agressive driving racing things like that. This car has all maintenance records from dealership, looks like the exhaust was changed but not the cats. Any other info on what to look for when I have my mechanic do his inspection would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mahdlokg

My minor problems are it seems to idle lower than when it was new. I believe it used to idle between 900-1100, but now its more like 5-600. No check engine light is coming on but the transmission guy said he pulled an O2 sensor reading. Oddly, he wasn't interested in fixing this, so I have done nothing yet. Would this affect the idle?
Possibly. Hard to tell.

I believe there are 4 total O2 sensors and it sounds like approx 1000.00+ to replace all 4 and have the work done. Any comments as to how easy it might be (or not be) to DIY would be great.
Other than being in tight spaces, it's something most DIYers are capable of. There are aftermarket O2 sensors that work just as well as the Nissan ones for much much less. Just pay attention to how well you do the electrical connections - I have seen some hack jobs there, where the sensors were good, and the connections weren't. The ECU can't tell either way.

My biggest problems are the following and I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of DIY solutions:
My power seats are not fully functional, the driver side allows me to move the seat back only, the pass. side doesn't work.
There are threads on here about how to fix those, depending on whether it's a motor or gearing issue. My general answer is to search for those, plus going to the wreckers to score the parts.
My lights around the auto ac/temp are are out on the right side but light up on the left side.
The stereo and AC panel removal threads on here cover this, it's pretty easy to change the bulbs. It is tedious though.
Never relied on it but the memory seat function no longer works.
Uuuuh, how could it when your power seats don't? How do you really know it's broken?
Moonroof works on occasion, so I don't mess with it any more.
Is it a motor or gearing problem? Wreckers is the answer there if you're on a budget.
Would these problems possibly be fuse related or more likely circuit board related?
Generally not either - its usually the gears that get mashed or ground up.
Also, how difficult is it to replace the fog light assembly. One light lens is cracked, and that bulb is out. The other is working fine.
There are threads on changing the bulbs, and it's not much more work to change the lens, or put aftermarket fogs in there or whatever you want to do.
These are all fairly minor as far as operating the vehicle, but I'd like to get another 6 months to a year out of this, and would like to get the drive side seat working if nothing else, but not for $5-600. I do drive it for a living, so many of my miles are "highway miles". Not a lot of stop and go. Bottom line, is any opinions on fixing some of these problems myself would be appreciated and is there anyone on here that has considerably more miles on this type of engine (5th generation)? Thanks.
There are quite a few forum members with 200k mile engines. Apart from some known issues (MAF, VIAS) the VQ30 and VQ35 series aren't very exciting if they're maintained reasonably competently and regularly. The transmissions are pretty strong too.

There is a factory service manual linked to from this site, which is really useful. Get that, and look into the sections for the seats. Dave B at Courtesy Nissan gives a discount to org members, and their site also has a lot of parts diagrams on it and stuff - for little dealer items like gears and stuff, that's where you get them.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by allornothing
HI all, I'm buying a 2001 Maxima GXE with 69k on it for my daughter. I've been going thru the forum trying to get caught up. How do you know about the precat problems, are there things that cause it i.e. agressive driving racing things like that. This car has all maintenance records from dealership, looks like the exhaust was changed but not the cats. Any other info on what to look for when I have my mechanic do his inspection would be helpful.

Thanks
When those go, you should get CEL lights going off and codes about O2 sensors being unhappy. If they're clogged there will be fairly obvious driveability problems. Agressive driving doesn't cause issues with the catalytic converters. Short trips to the 7-eleven and back do, because they don't get hot enough to burn off the contaminants they're supposed to.

Given that it's a GXE, dealer maintained, and barely driven, I doubt it's been raced
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks, homeyclaus!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 max gxe

Thanks for the reply homeyclaus, i don't think it's been raced it was owned by an elderly couple. I just wanted to make sure my daughter wouldn't do something that could cause. With the miles I bet it's been driven short trips at a time, are the precats something you change for preventative maintenance or wait for them to send a code? What kind of cost am I looking at to replace the to precats? Car runs great no issues but I've read a hundred posts on here of people who bought one that was running fine and two weeks later bam, problems. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to find the best deal on KYB quick struts for a 2002 maxima? Specifically, the ones with the struts, springs and mounts all in one...

Also I'd be interested in any thoughts you guys might have on heated seats. My GLE doesn't have heated seats but I'm wondering if the heaters are already built into the seats since they are leather/completely power and i'd just need to add the wiring and toggle switches? Would that be possible that they would have done that?

Last edited by mack5158; 10-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the reply homeyclaus, i don't think it's been raced it was owned by an elderly couple. I just wanted to make sure my daughter wouldn't do something that could cause. With the miles I bet it's been driven short trips at a time, are the precats something you change for preventative maintenance or wait for them to send a code? What kind of cost am I looking at to replace the to precats? Car runs great no issues but I've read a hundred posts on here of people who bought one that was running fine and two weeks later bam, problems. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks
No preventative maintenance for stuff like catalytic converters. Even though aftermarket parts are relatively inexpensive, it's a lot of work to swap them out, with questionable returns on that work. Swapping out perfectly good big parts invites breaking others along the way, and you're going to drive yourself crazy worrying about this, that, or another possibility.

When you start the car, make sure the check engine light actually works- that is, it stays on for a second and then turns off. Have a mechanic or a local Advance Auto, Pep Boys, or other parts shop pull any pending codes for you.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by mack5158
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to find the best deal on KYB quick struts for a 2002 maxima? Specifically, the ones with the struts, springs and mounts all in one...
KYB doesn't make quick struts for the Maxima. Where are you located?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Max Question....

Can anyone recommend a decent set of coil packs that don't leave my backside puckering?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 PM

I'd be interested in any thoughts you guys might have on heated seats. My GLE doesn't have heated seats but I'm wondering if the heaters are already built into the seats since they are leather/completely power and i'd just need to add the wiring and toggle switches? Would that be possible that they would have done that?
The seats do not have the heating wire built in. To get heated seats, you will have to replace the seats.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

00 Maxima dome & ignition ring light not coming on...

Hey there, new here and have a question

The dome light as well as the ignition ring light on my 2000 Maxima used to come on when I unlocked the doors with the fob, and stay on for a short period after I closed the door. For quite a while now that has not happened. I've tried searching to no avail, so I'm requesting the help of the Maxima PROs!

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it just a setting that I've accidentally shut off some how? Where would I start to diagnose this issue?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by keypunch
Hey there, new here and have a question

The dome light as well as the ignition ring light on my 2000 Maxima used to come on when I unlocked the doors with the fob, and stay on for a short period after I closed the door. For quite a while now that has not happened. I've tried searching to no avail, so I'm requesting the help of the Maxima PROs!

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it just a setting that I've accidentally shut off some how? Where would I start to diagnose this issue?
Have you checked to see if the lamps are good and not burned out? These lights (and a lot of other things) are controlled by the SECU (Smart Entrance Control Unit). If the lamps are good, you may have a bad SECU.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 AM
i1k
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by STLMax
Can anyone recommend a decent set of coil packs that don't leave my backside puckering?

A few years after I bought my 2000 new, the dealership replaced all six - TSB. Nine years later (a few months ago), I replaced my #2 with a "gray-dot" OEM after getting a code and testing the resistance to make sure it was bad.

My 2cents - if you can afford it, get OEM. It may costs a bit more but its a safe bet. If UR thinking otherwise read post #11 from this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...oil-packs.html

For OEM, check with DaveB for price at the least (see his praises from other members at:http://forums.maxima.org/dealership-...back-here.html) .

You can reach him at (512) 444-1400, ext. 116.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
No preventative maintenance for stuff like catalytic converters. Even though aftermarket parts are relatively inexpensive, it's a lot of work to swap them out, with questionable returns on that work. Swapping out perfectly good big parts invites breaking others along the way, and you're going to drive yourself crazy worrying about this, that, or another possibility.

When you start the car, make sure the check engine light actually works- that is, it stays on for a second and then turns off. Have a mechanic or a local Advance Auto, Pep Boys, or other parts shop pull any pending codes for you.

Thanks again homeyclaus (I know there's a story behind that name) I'm having my mechanic look at it on saturday, the seller has agreed to deduct anything that is wrong of the selling price, so I'm feeling pretty confident we'll be driving a Max come saturday evening. I was concerned about the precats, some have said they ruined their engine with no warnings.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The seats do not have the heating wire built in. To get heated seats, you will have to replace the seats.
You can also get aftermarket heating pads for automotive seats that come with wires, switches, and a fuse box tap. You need to take the seats out of the car and remove the upholstery and stuff, and then put it all back, but the kit costs like $50 per seat on Amazon.

Thanks again homeyclaus (I know there's a story behind that name) I'm having my mechanic look at it on saturday, the seller has agreed to deduct anything that is wrong of the selling price, so I'm feeling pretty confident we'll be driving a Max come saturday evening. I was concerned about the precats, some have said they ruined their engine with no warnings.
I heard that too, but it was like 4 Maximas, driven by people who mod (and probably race... i mean "drive aggressively"), out of how many hundred thousand cars? For all we know the people they bought their vehicles from hollowed out those pre-cats and left some stuff behind. There is no way to know enough detail to make an educated decision, and so all you can do is assume, which as we all know, make an *** of u and me

Last edited by homeyclaus; 10-25-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: speling
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks I appreciate the input. Just trying to make sure theres no preventive maintenance I can do to save money in the long run. I guess I'll see how the inspection goes, buy it, let her drive it and wait for the car to tell me if anythings wrong. I'm looking forward to it, seems like a solid car.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Have you checked to see if the lamps are good and not burned out?
Yes. I neglected to mention that the lights still work when I open my door. I will do research on the SECU, thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks I appreciate the input. Just trying to make sure theres no preventive maintenance I can do to save money in the long run. I guess I'll see how the inspection goes, buy it, let her drive it and wait for the car to tell me if anythings wrong. I'm looking forward to it, seems like a solid car.
If you're really, really looking for something to do to it, drain and refill the transmission fluid (with something good, synthetic, like Nissan OEM stuff), and drain and refill the cooling system (with long-life coolant). At 10 years of service, those are about due. There is no transmission filter (so don't get billed for one), and it would give you a good idea of the state of things in there.

Note I did not say "flush".

And if you want, you can get the car all caught up on its service - oil, oil filter, air filter, pcv valve, and a fresh cabin filter is a nice touch. Maybe new headlamp bulbs too - mine were in for 10 years, and were mighty, mighty dim compared to new ones. We can totally overthink this, and get used oil analysis done from Blackstone labs too, and refill with 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum and a nice Bosch or Purolator PureOne filter. My UOA results are pretty good with that.

Last edited by homeyclaus; 10-25-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: speling ... again
Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

electric issues

I was driving my 03 today and after I shifted on to fourth I lost all power as if the car had died. Car was still on and fully functional turns on and off no problem but have to double pump the gas to get a Rev....was thinking maybe alternator because I was leaking oil on it but any advice would help....thank you
Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 maxima blown VQ30DEK waiting to put in VQ35

I am new here trying to figure out this whole forum thing. I hope im posting in the right place. I have a 2000 maxima SE 5spd blew the motor the other night i have already bought a 2008 maxima VQ35 14k miles the JWT cam spacers a new clutch and a FPR. I'm wondering if i need any other parts for the install? I would love to do the swap myself but just dont have the space or time. I live i fort lauderdale florida and it seems like every shop around here is scared to even touch this project. i have refered to a previous post for some walk threw help which have been my guide lines so far please if anyone has any advise or can help please PM me. or if any one n south florida is willing to help let me kno
www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=78

www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=82

Last edited by juvie46; 10-25-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM

So I have a 2000 maxima SE with a 5 spd. I am looking into doing some stereo up grades, but I want to keep the factory head unit. I like how flush it looks. Can I put in a new amp, all 4 speakers, and a 10" sub without needing a new HU? A buddy told me I need RCA cables coming from the HU if I was going to be able too. First is that true and Second does it have those cables?
Its the Bose system. Nothing wrong with it, just want a little better quality and be able to go a little louder. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by kish_03max
I was driving my 03 today and after I shifted on to fourth I lost all power as if the car had died. Car was still on and fully functional turns on and off no problem but have to double pump the gas to get a Rev....was thinking maybe alternator because I was leaking oil on it but any advice would help....thank you
It kinda sounds like the car is in limp mode. Is the check engine light on? Does your check engine light work? Either way, go to an auto parts store such as autozone and ask them to read the codes.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheDude00
So I have a 2000 maxima SE with a 5 spd. I am looking into doing some stereo up grades, but I want to keep the factory head unit. I like how flush it looks. Can I put in a new amp, all 4 speakers, and a 10" sub without needing a new HU? A buddy told me I need RCA cables coming from the HU if I was going to be able too. First is that true and Second does it have those cables?
Its the Bose system. Nothing wrong with it, just want a little better quality and be able to go a little louder. Thanks to anyone who can help.
1. Yes

2. No

You'll need a aftermarket HU and all new speakers if you want subs and new speakers.

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html

Last edited by VQP0WER; 10-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:04 AM
i1k
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by juvie46
I am new here trying to figure out this whole forum thing. I hope im posting in the right place. I have a 2000 maxima SE 5spd blew the motor the other night i have already bought a 2008 maxima VQ35 14k miles the JWT cam spacers a new clutch and a FPR. I'm wondering if i need any other parts for the install? I would love to do the swap myself but just dont have the space or time. I live i fort lauderdale florida and it seems like every shop around here is scared to even touch this project. i have refered to a previous post for some walk threw help which have been my guide lines so far please if anyone has any advise or can help please PM me. or if any one n south florida is willing to help let me kno
www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=78

www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=82
Have you looked at the sticky thread (http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...vq35-swap.html) for those orgers who have done the swap?

If that's no help, then you're probably going to get better results if you ask for help in the All Motor section (http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor-61/) and/or the Southeast Regional section (http://forums.maxima.org/southeast-u-s-18/).

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
1. Yes

2. No

You'll need a aftermarket HU and all new speakers if you want subs and new speakers.
Thanks for this. I couldn't find it using search. how hard is it to do a speaker install on your own?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
KYB doesn't make quick struts for the Maxima. Where are you located?
I'm about 15 minutes west of DC. My mechanic reccomended the quick struts if i can find them. he also told me to stay away from Monroe as he's had bad experience with them. Any suggestions for improving ride quality? I assumed struts and mounts? he said I shouldn't need to replace the springs.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM

I have a minor issue with my 2000. On a cold start, it will idle fine for roughly 10 seconds, then the RPM's will dip suddenly to around 1100 or so, from around 1400-1500. Then the car will idle slightly rough until it warms up a little. Once I start driving its gone within a few city blocks. It doesnt come close to stalling, but it is noticeable enough. Its throwing a pending code of 1320. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks for this. I couldn't find it using search. how hard is it to do a speaker install on your own?
Not to bad. Just have to take the door panels off, which is not that hard, but you will prolly break that cheap plastic tabs doing so. You can get those plastic tabs at a auto parts store for fairly cheap.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by candt
I have a minor issue with my 2000. On a cold start, it will idle fine for roughly 10 seconds, then the RPM's will dip suddenly to around 1100 or so, from around 1400-1500. Then the car will idle slightly rough until it warms up a little. Once I start driving its gone within a few city blocks. It doesnt come close to stalling, but it is noticeable enough. Its throwing a pending code of 1320. Any ideas?

Ignition coil. Replace them all if you can.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 PM

That is a possibility. I have replaced four of them already. All four were Nissan parts, and all four gave me 1320 codes, along with the code that told me which specific cylinder was misfiring. The other two that I didnt replace are not Nissan parts, so they were replaced at some point along the line. No idea when. The weird thing is that they arent acting like the other bad ones were. When the other ones went bad, it was very noticeable at idle, cold or warm. Even driving around, you could easily tell it was running on 5 cylinders. Plus Im only getting a pending code of 1320 this time. With the other coils it was not a pending code.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

I'm about 15 minutes west of DC. My mechanic reccomended the quick struts if i can find them. he also told me to stay away from Monroe as he's had bad experience with them. Any suggestions for improving ride quality? I assumed struts and mounts? he said I shouldn't need to replace the springs.
Your mechanic is on the money. Get KYB GR-2 struts ($275 shipped for all 4). Get a pair of Moog K90655 strut mounts, and get a set of 4 OEM struts.

FYI, If you're willing to make the drive, I do suspension installs for a LOT of local Maxima guys. Not sure what your mechanic will charge you for the job, but my price is likely lower.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Suspension Yoda

Not to bad. Just have to take the door panels off, which is not that hard, but you will prolly break that cheap plastic tabs doing so. You can get those plastic tabs at a auto parts store for fairly cheap.
If you're breaking clips when 5th gen door panels off, you're not doing it right

To the OP, there are a bunch of how-to's on removing door panels. One thing you may not realize - you'll need (and I highly recommend) MDF mounting rings for your aftermarket speakers. 3/4" thick.

Buy them from this guy - his customer service is FANTASTIC. He'll make custom rings for you based on the inner diameter of your mounting flange - then just add an inch for the outer diameter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jefflisa/m.h...m=250915293073
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Suspension Yoda

Just one additional piece of information.

Technically your friend is right about RCA outputs from your factory HU.

RCA outputs serve two purposes:
1) Provide the proper plug connection/type/format to interface with RCA cables to your amp
2) Provide the the proper signal level for your aftermarket amp.

What he may not realize is that because your Bose HU puts out a pre-amped or 'line-level' signal, the only problem is the plug format....

So...if you have a cheap pair of FEMALE RCA's, cut off the ends and leave ~6" of wire on them. If you properly identify the wire colors...you can splice them into the speaker wire outputs coming out of your Bose HU...and voila, you have the proper format, and you have the proper signal level
Old 10-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

Actually my friend, this is incorrect. You CAN put aftermarket components on your factory system, see post above.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Your mechanic is on the money. Get KYB GR-2 struts ($275 shipped for all 4). Get a pair of Moog K90655 strut mounts, and get a set of 4 OEM struts.

FYI, If you're willing to make the drive, I do suspension installs for a LOT of local Maxima guys. Not sure what your mechanic will charge you for the job, but my price is likely lower.
OEM strut bellows... otherwise he'd have two sets
Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks so much! And thanks for the clarification homeyclaus on the strut bellows.

Where are you located so I know what kind of drive it is lol.

I also assume I need a total of 4 strut mounts? Or I only have to have them for the front and need two?

Where can I get the struts for $275 for all 4? I'm on amazon and seeing that they are $100 each, unless I'm looking at the wrong things. Also, for the mounts. I see the mounts and then a mount kit. one is $65 and one is $42. Do I need both of them? Or does the $65 part include the $42 part? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get everything I need at one time.

Last edited by mack5158; 10-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Suspension Yoda

Nice catch homey

I'm located in East Brunswick, NJ.

Nope, only 2 strut mounts. Amazon has them for under $40 a piece. Order 2.
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K90655-St...sr=1-1-catcorr

I can get the bellows for you. I order in bulk from a parts manager at Nissan, I get them at a nice price.

Sending you a PM with my phone #. Give me a call before you order. While we're doing the suspension job, there are some other parts that are a 'good to do' since we're in there. I'll explain everything and give you the advice you need.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread