5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:06 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by soonerfan
how exactly do headlights look like "sex"

EDIT: got it, you are only 17. you dont know what sex looks like.

you have to be nice in this thread, remember?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by irish44j

you have to be nice in this thread, remember?
we cant flame newbie question

nothing about comments about stupid statements

Old 08-18-2007, 04:53 PM

back of the HU
Could you possibly tell me a certain wire to look for? Or can I google it and find where the wire is hooked up to on a 01+ with the controller?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:57 PM

brake pads worn to wear indicator?
dust shield scraping back of rotor?
spring clips not installed correctly?

check those things first, then get back to us.
Thanks for the info. I took off all the wheels and checked. I need new rotors and brakepads. Also when I took off the front wheels I noticed both my cv axle outer boots were busted and grease was everywhere. I guess I got no luck. Thanks again for the info guys. Really useful..
Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Double0GLE
Could you possibly tell me a certain wire to look for? Or can I google it and find where the wire is hooked up to on a 01+ with the controller?
i have no idea. the wire will have a harness so it will be easy to figure out where it goes.
didnt you say that you worked at a dealership
Old 08-18-2007, 10:26 PM

i have no idea. the wire will have a harness so it will be easy to figure out where it goes.
didnt you say that you worked at a dealership
Yeah, I'm a detailer lol. I'll ask one of the mechanics, this Rich guys bay's are across from mine and he has I think 37 years of experience with Nissan/Datsun so I'm sure he'd know.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by djcallao
Thanks for the info. I took off all the wheels and checked. I need new rotors and brakepads. Also when I took off the front wheels I noticed both my cv axle outer boots were busted and grease was everywhere. I guess I got no luck. Thanks again for the info guys. Really useful..
I don't know what suspension you're on, but slammed that low you can expect to have CV joints go bad with increased frequency......
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 AM
TurtleHead

How long should a air filter last?

Sounds like a dumb question, but everytime I look at it, 3-4k miles, it still looks brand new. I've had the same filter in for over 35k miles and about 10k of those with the GAB mod.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by TurtleHead
Sounds like a dumb question, but everytime I look at it, 3-4k miles, it still looks brand new. I've had the same filter in for over 35k miles and about 10k of those with the GAB mod.
it's a good idea to replace it once a year or so, no matter how clean it looks. They don't cost much anyhow, so better safe than sorry.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:59 AM
TurtleHead

it's a good idea to replace it once a year or so, no matter how clean it looks. They don't cost much anyhow, so better safe than sorry.
Yea, I think it's time. I wasn't trying to be cheap......more like lazy

Thanks Irish!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:56 PM

I don't know what suspension you're on, but slammed that low you can expect to have CV joints go bad with increased frequency......
Right now I'm running Eibach Springs and stock struts. What do you think I should do. Should I get new springs and raise it? What can I do to keep the low clean look and not damage the cv joints?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by djcallao
Right now I'm running Eibach Springs and stock struts. What do you think I should do. Should I get new springs and raise it?
nevermind then....it looked in your sig like you were sitting alot lower than that. If you're on Eibachs, you'll be fine. Although you might want to think about upgrading struts to Illuminas, which can dampen the higher spring rate better than your stock struts.

You still need to replace those Cv axles though if the boots have split. I suggest spending a little extra and getting them from Raxles...much better quality than the crap you get at Autozone or Pep boys (or Nissan).
Old 08-19-2007, 04:07 PM

nevermind then....it looked in your sig like you were sitting alot lower than that. If you're on Eibachs, you'll be fine. Although you might want to think about upgrading struts to Illuminas, which can dampen the higher spring rate better than your stock struts.

You still need to replace those Cv axles though if the boots have split. I suggest spending a little extra and getting them from Raxles...much better quality than the crap you get at Autozone or Pep boys (or Nissan).
I think my max looks alot lower because of the stillin lip kit. Thanks for all the info. I'll look into upgrading my struts and I will most definantly be changing out my cv axles.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 PM

how exactly do headlights look like "sex"

EDIT: got it, you are only 17. you dont know what sex looks like.
Ouch, well since you're old I'll break it down for you....

"Teh Sex" = Hot, Really Cool, Stylish, etc.

j/k, love you guys, now onto that FAQ thread, I need new brakes -_-;;
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Passenger side window problem

Hey I am having this problem where when i try to roll down my passenger side's windows using the controls on the driver side it seems to like move 2 inches then stop then move a little bit more if it wanted to then it would finally go down. But the button on the passenger side works perfectly fine. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by aackshun
Ouch, well since you're old I'll break it down for you....

"Teh Sex" = Hot, Really Cool, Stylish, etc.

j/k, love you guys, now onto that FAQ thread, I need new brakes -_-;;
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=87

btw, Powerslot rotors and Hawk (HPS?) pads are what most people will suggests. you could probably do stock rotors and Hawk pads too.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
wat

Originally Posted by badboi4eva
Hey I am having this problem where when i try to roll down my passenger side's windows using the controls on the driver side it seems to like move 2 inches then stop then move a little bit more if it wanted to then it would finally go down. But the button on the passenger side works perfectly fine. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks.
something is wrong w/ your switch or the wiring to your switch
Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 AM

oh anyway to fix it yourself =D or like somehow rewire back to normal. thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=87

btw, Powerslot rotors and Hawk (HPS?) pads are what most people will suggests. you could probably do stock rotors and Hawk pads too.
When I meant new brakes, I just need like replacement ones, mine are squeeking >.<, but that's probably a question I'll ask in the future, The brakes on the car are fine for my needs, most of my stops are 30-0 because I cruise allot since the car is stick.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Soooooooooo

Originally Posted by jkmorgan3max02
It's the Power Steering Pressure hose and I picked it up for $130 at a local dealership.

THIS DO THE JOB????????????

I NEED TO GET MINE FIXED QUICK!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Will 02-03 HIDS fit into my '00

I just put 20" chrome on the 00 and the yellowish headlights look like a-s-s with the bling, does anyone know if the 02-03 HIDS would be a direct fit replacement or if there is any tweaking necessary
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by WMASSMAX
I just put 20" chrome on the 00 and the yellowish headlights look like a-s-s with the bling, does anyone know if the 02-03 HIDS would be a direct fit replacement or if there is any tweaking necessary
There is no tweaking necessary, you only nead a wiring harness from the '02-'03 and a headlight clip to replace the '00 clip to hold the headlights.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by WMASSMAX
the lights are an easy install. Only tweaking necessary is removal of chrome 20s..

Old 08-20-2007, 04:08 PM
TurtleHead

the lights are an easy install. Only tweaking necessary is removal of chrome 20s..

Haha I agree with that. Things gotta look like a Matchbox. Now all's he needs is a big "M A X I M A" logo going across the windshield!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF advice on 2000 SE

I have the SES light on and read the code with an auto scanner which returned p0100 --> MAF or VAF ckt malfunction.

My question is... can I just replace the MAF with a new one and hope that fixes it? My car is experiencing rough idles and loss of power (acceleration) which is very intermittent. What are the chances the problems is something else? Should I ohm out the connection on the MAF back to the ECM? Where abouts is the ECM located? Could there be another sensor/compenent failure which could trip the computer to thinking its a MAF problem? These might seem like retarded questions but I'd really like to take a stab at fixing this myself if possible. Thanks to any advice.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 PM

im thinkin about ordering some HIDS the goldeneye brand 10k.....jus want a lil feedback if you know anything about them....its the hi/lo kit.....
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
im thinkin about ordering some HIDS the goldeneye brand 10k.....jus want a lil feedback if you know anything about them....its the hi/lo kit.....
no, no and no

1. you will have retarded glare using the stock housing
2. 10k will look idiotic and

if you want HID, do a 02-03 headlights retrofit. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima

if you feel the need for a HID kit.put them in the fogs
Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't know if this was asked before, if it was sorry.
I got my dome light LED and its always dim, even when the car is parked and locked (the switch is in the middle) A friend of mine has the same problem. How do I fix it? I just took it out after I realized that it stays lit (dim) when the car is parked. I don't want it to burn out, overnight.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eddie_D
I don't know if this was asked before, if it was sorry.
I got my dome light LED and its always dim, even when the car is parked and locked (the switch is in the middle) A friend of mine has the same problem. How do I fix it? I just took it out after I realized that it stays lit (dim) when the car is parked. I don't want it to burn out, overnight.
Thanks in advance.

Try to see what happens when you use a regular dome bulb. Also are you both using the same LED's?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
Try to see what happens when you use a regular dome bulb. Also are you both using the same LED's?
The OEM dome bulb doesn't stay dim all the time. And yes, we are using the same ebay dome lights. Is this a common problem? Is their a tweak around it?
Thanks in advance btw, were using these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Banned

The OEM dome bulb doesn't stay dim all the time. And yes, we are using the same ebay dome lights. Is this a common problem? Is their a tweak around it?
Thanks in advance btw, were using these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
I remember reading about something like this another .org member was having an issue with. I know its been discussed before. I just cant quite put my finger on it. I believe it was something along the lines of needing a resistor.....im not sure though.......I try not to use LED's in multi light applications. I only use LED's in applications where there are two choices.........ON/OFF
Old 08-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by shawnpwilson
I have the SES light on and read the code with an auto scanner which returned p0100 --> MAF or VAF ckt malfunction.

My question is... can I just replace the MAF with a new one and hope that fixes it? My car is experiencing rough idles and loss of power (acceleration) which is very intermittent. What are the chances the problems is something else? Should I ohm out the connection on the MAF back to the ECM? Where abouts is the ECM located? Could there be another sensor/compenent failure which could trip the computer to thinking its a MAF problem? These might seem like retarded questions but I'd really like to take a stab at fixing this myself if possible. Thanks to any advice.

MAF failure is common. I would try that first, 100$ from dave b
Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
I remember reading about something like this another .org member was having an issue with. I know its been discussed before. I just cant quite put my finger on it. I believe it was something along the lines of needing a resistor.....im not sure though.......I try not to use LED's in multi light applications. I only use LED's in applications where there are two choices.........ON/OFF
I'm not sure what you mean by a resistor. If you provide me with a link to that thread it would be appreciated. Or any more help would be appreciated as well.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 AM
WSH for teh cup

I'm not sure what you mean by a resistor. If you provide me with a link to that thread it would be appreciated. Or any more help would be appreciated as well.
Just a thought.... try looking on here for something. http://autolumination.com/
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle00
Just a thought.... try looking on here for something. http://autolumination.com/
Thanks, but has absolutley nothing to do with solving my dim LED dome light problem.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 SE - PCV Location

I have search the entire net looking for an image of where the PCV valve would be located on the 2000 SE. I have looked at PCV valves at various parts stores but cannot find anything that closely resembles that. Is the part complete embedded in a hose or hidden under a component? I know where my MAF and throttle wires are. So any description starting from any those reference points should be good.... even better an image with an arrow would be fantastic. Thanks to any help on this.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 AM
WSH for teh cup

I have search the entire net looking for an image of where the PCV valve would be located on the 2000 SE. I have looked at PCV valves at various parts stores but cannot find anything that closely resembles that. Is the part complete embedded in a hose or hidden under a component? I know where my MAF and throttle wires are. So any description starting from any those reference points should be good.... even better an image with an arrow would be fantastic. Thanks to any help on this.
If i remember correctly...... it's located in the rear valve cover, just behind the throttle body.....
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kyle00
If i remember correctly...... it's located in the rear valve cover, just behind the throttle body.....
Is the rear valve cover something I have to take off to see the PCV valve?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM
WSH for teh cup

Is the rear valve cover something I have to take off to see the PCV valve?
No, the PCV Valve should be "sticking out" of the valve cover with a hose attached to it

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread