5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold air intake?

Hello all,
I am new here...I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE and I am thinking about putting in an injen cold air intake.

I'm wondering if a CAI actually helps increase engine power.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Neutral safety switch possibly? This is assuming you checked your battery and starter?

Ok, here's an update. Thursday I went to try to start the car again and when I opened the door, there were several clicks and then nothing. So I put the key in the ignition and the battery was completely dead. I took it off and charged it for 24 hrs., cleaned off all the contact surfaces on the leads and terminal posts and tried again. SAME THING. All the dash lights and interior lights come on, but the ignition system only clicks repeatedly when I turn the key to start. I go back out the next day and the car had drained the battery again. I'm starting to think the car is somehow locked in a 'run' state where the electrical system has never turned off. That would explain why it won't let the starter engage. The car thinks that it is still running somehow. Anyone think this is anything other than crazy talk?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 AM
wat

sounds like the starter has a bad solinoid, get the starter tested if the batt doesn't do it. Also are you sure that your battery is not bad? A bad batt wont hold a charge.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by alooshj
Hello all,
I am new here...I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE and I am thinking about putting in an injen cold air intake.

Thanks!
Bad choice. Stick with Stillen / JWT.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nvm about the cd question
i burnt another cd and it worked this time
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM

Hanging Ground Wire

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I believe the ground wire is for the catalytic converter.
Is it a big deal that it's severed and hanging? Please let me know if I should replace it.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by squiggy2469
Is it a big deal that it's severed and hanging? Please let me know if I should replace it.
I wouldn't sweat it. Mines been off for about 4 years now......
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by alooshj
Hello all,

Thanks!
I have the Injen black CAI on my '02. Although it looks good in the engine bay, I wouldn't recommend buying it. You will lose low-end horsepower, and you can definitely feel the difference vs. the stock airbox. You can't even hear the intake when driving at normal speeds, I can usually only hear mine roar when I am flooring it. For this reason, I changed mine last night from a CAI to a short ram by eliminating the longer part of the tube and just attaching the filter to the MAF housing. After driving around a little bit, the car definitely feels quicker from a stop, doesn't feel like it's bogged down anymore. Not to mention it sounds a LOT meaner. So basically, I agree with NmexMAX...even though I have an Injen, I don't recommend buying it...save some money and buy another brand/type.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM

can you use a 02-03 keyfob work with an 2000?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 PM

How many of you have taken off the plastic wind deflector that's mounted in front of your sunroof? What happens if you do that?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

almost 100K miles

I bought a 02 maxima with 58K miles on it 2 years ago and now is close to the 100k miles,do I have to anything to the engine or tranny or just keep changing the oil?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Greetings, I just got a 2000 Max GXE. Really satisfied with the car so far, but the other day i was driving through a construction zone where there were some pylons between lanes of traffic, and I may have been staring off and hit one at about 120 kmh. The mirror lense is cracked all to f***... The casing is still ok. Anyways, Im really disgruntled about the situation, and Im hoping anyone here might have some kind of step by step instructions on how to go about replacing the lense. It is electric, not heated though. Ive got a lead on a new lense, and im looking to get this done as soon as possible.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by icecube311
I bought a 02 maxima with 58K miles on it 2 years ago and now is close to the 100k miles,do I have to anything to the engine or tranny or just keep changing the oil?
You should check your owners manual. It will give you the require maintenance intervals.

I would change the spark plugs and do a tranny fluid change.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Creating a new topic?

Hey guys, new to this forum as well. Not sure if it's my settings but for some reason i can't create a new "topic" in the classifieds forum. Maybe i need a certain amount of posts to be able to do this? Anybody experience the same thing? Haven't had this issue on any of the BMW or Audi forums that i've been on in the past.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kawika
Hey guys, new to this forum as well. Not sure if it's my settings but for some reason i can't create a new "topic" in the classifieds forum. Maybe i need a certain amount of posts to be able to do this? Anybody experience the same thing? Haven't had this issue on any of the BMW or Audi forums that i've been on in the past.
I know in these forums, you need 15 posts in order to create a thread. 15 useful posts or replies, no b.s.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Ah i see. That's what i kind of figured. I appreciate the heads up! I'm just trying to add a post to see if anyone with an 00-01 SE would be willing to trade tail lights with my 02 SE stock ones. I have a black Maxima and see a few on here with the older SE tails and think they look slick.

Cheers
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Ah i see. That's what i kind of figured. I appreciate the heads up! I'm just trying to add a post to see if anyone with an 00-01 SE would be willing to trade tail lights with my 02 SE stock ones. I have a black Maxima and see a few on here with the older SE tails and think they look slick.

Cheers
I'll trade ya my stock plain jane red ones (2001) for yours.......
Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey i definitely appreciate the offer, but i absolutely LOVE the way the 00-01 SE tails look on black . I may just end up picking some up on Ebay....
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Parking light is now a mini strobe light???

Hey guys,

Last night I notice my drivers side parking light was flickering really fast, almost like a strobe light but not at fast. Each flicker is definitely on to off, not just little dims of the light. It was a autolumination LED matrix bulb in it, but I took it out when i got home last night.

Does this sound like a problem with the bulb, or is it more likely with the wiring? If I have time tonight, I will try putting the passenger side bulb in that one to do a little trouble shooting.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Edit: I forgot to add that its flickering constantly. Its not an intermittent flicker.

Last edited by vball_max; 08-25-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Lately I've experienced a weird noise while driving. Its kind of a low groan, hard to explain, I think it definitely has to do with the wheels, because it sounds as if its rotating because it changes sound. I can make it come and go by very slightly turning the wheel to the right, and applying the accelerator. If I take my foot off the accelerator, or turn the wheel slightly to the left, it stops.

I've replaced the wheel bearings in my front right about 8months ago, and it sounds similar to the way that sounded when it was going out. I jacked it up and checked the axle nut and if I had any 12 o clcok 6 o clock wiggle, and it didn't.

What else could it possibly be?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Hey guys,

Last night I notice my drivers side parking light was flickering really fast, almost like a strobe light but not at fast. Each flicker is definitely on to off, not just little dims of the light. It was a autolumination LED matrix bulb in it, but I took it out when i got home last night.

Does this sound like a problem with the bulb, or is it more likely with the wiring? If I have time tonight, I will try putting the passenger side bulb in that one to do a little trouble shooting.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Edit: I forgot to add that its flickering constantly. Its not an intermittent flicker.
yea the LED is going bad, TIME TO REPLACE IT

simple as that. My tag lights would RANDOMLY go out, my side markers LASTED ALMOST FOREVER

i bought my sidemarker LED's...i guess when autolumination.com didn't have MUCH popularity, they were using better LED's and circuitry, plus the workmanship was a bit more consistent or sturdy

But i have a sidemarker that just started flickering when it gets "warmed up"
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok....thats good to hear.....

Is there any place you would recommend getting replacements? I only had these in for about 6 months so if you know of somewhere that I could get ones that would last longer, that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

So I want to get HID fogs but I also want to do the fog re-wire. Now, what shouldn't I wire the fogs into to avoid them flashing with the alarm since that's bad for HID's? It appears as if only the turn signals flash on the front end but I remember reading about other stuff so I just wanted to be sure. TIA.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Im driving a 2002 Maxima SE with 87,000 miles on it. I have never had any major engine issues with the car and i absolutely love it. The other day I was at a red light and someone slammed into the back of my car. The car still runs perfectly fine but after i opened the trunk I can no longer close it because of how my bumper was damaged. The way things worked out the guy who hit me paid me 4500 cash for the damage(definately much more then what the damage was but he didnt want to use insurence at all) I was interested in fixing the car myself as a project. I know how to do basic repairs but I dont even know where to start to fix this car. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested in helping me.

Thanks in advance
-Brandon
Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blitzfist
Im driving a 2002 Maxima SE with 87,000 miles on it. I have never had any major engine issues with the car and i absolutely love it. The other day I was at a red light and someone slammed into the back of my car. The car still runs perfectly fine but after i opened the trunk I can no longer close it because of how my bumper was damaged. The way things worked out the guy who hit me paid me 4500 cash for the damage(definately much more then what the damage was but he didnt want to use insurence at all) I was interested in fixing the car myself as a project. I know how to do basic repairs but I dont even know where to start to fix this car. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested in helping me.

Thanks in advance
-Brandon
Need pictures.

Hopefully you do not have frame damage.....you really should go by a body shop and have them run an estimate to see if you actually made money or got robbed.

I would have made his insurance company make the repairs, that way the work is warrantied.

Fixing body damage is typically not in the realm of someone who is not in the trade.....
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bicranium
So I want to get HID fogs but I also want to do the fog re-wire. Now, what shouldn't I wire the fogs into to avoid them flashing with the alarm since that's bad for HID's? It appears as if only the turn signals flash on the front end but I remember reading about other stuff so I just wanted to be sure. TIA.
Your fogs wont flash if you follow this:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=357663

You are just tapping into the 12v constant, whether it be from the flasher circuit, air conditioning, etc.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM

k i have one quick question, what are the good and the bad between spring and strut combo vs. coilover??
Old 08-26-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by maxximaa
k i have one quick question, what are the good and the bad between spring and strut combo vs. coilover??
Hmmm My McAfee warns that the website you link to "FREE STUFF" is bad business.

No help for you.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 PM

not sure what you're talking about

back to my questions now?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Need pictures.

Hopefully you do not have frame damage.....you really should go by a body shop and have them run an estimate to see if you actually made money or got robbed.

I would have made his insurance company make the repairs, that way the work is warrantied.

Fixing body damage is typically not in the realm of someone who is not in the trade.....
yeah I think im going to bring it in for an estimate just to make sure nothings wrong with the frame, hopefully it's just bumper damage. My friend and I are planning on doing the work to the car. We have a few sources that could defiantly help us out, but I figured you guys could give us a rough idea of what would be wrong with it. I will post pictures in a few.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 AM

heres one picture that i took after i pulled over on my camera phone. Ill try and borrow someones camera to take better pictures becuase my camera phones pictures arent that great. Hope this helps

Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM

heres one picture that i took after i pulled over on my camera phone. Ill try and borrow someones camera to take better pictures becuase my camera phones pictures arent that great. Hope this helps
Is that rear left quarter panel damaged? If so, that's probably the most expensive and difficult thing to replace. If not, the damage doesn't look that bad......
Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 PM

the left side of the bumper is damaged. Me and my friend took a look at it today and it looks like the frame by the trunk was slightly misshaped(in the very rear where the trunk latch is) so we pulled it out and we were able to get the trunk to latch but not completely(enough to keep it closed while driving). The reason for it not closing completely is becuase of the way the bumper went up when it got hit. So i guess in the back it has minor frame damage(how big of a deal is that?) but the chassis is probably perfectly fine but ill take it for an estimate anyway.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM

it would actually be really helpful if someone coulp pop open the trunk of their maxima and take a picture of how the bottom piece there is suppose to look so i can see how bad the frame damage is. Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My family is getting ready to buy me a 01 maxima se automatic with 133k for my first car. After negotiating they gave us a price of 6200 for it and we put a despoit on it. Im wondering is it worth it even though it has high miles? KBB say it worth 6195.

Should i be worried it has a lot of miles? I don't want to have to repair it soon after i buy the car.

Also are there certain spots i should check on the car before we pay for it fully?

Thanks

Last edited by sofly09; 08-27-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 AM

what are suggested spark plugs you guys would recommend
Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by sofly09
My family is getting ready to buy me a 01 maxima se automatic with 133k for my first car. After negotiating they gave us a price of 6200 for it and we put a despoit on it. Im wondering is it worth it even though it has high miles? KBB say it worth 6195.

Should i be worried it has a lot of miles? I don't want to have to repair it soon after i buy the car.

Also are there certain spots i should check on the car before we pay for it fully?

Thanks
The odds are you will have a few small problems but you can probably run that car to 200K. 133K isnt that much you will probably run into small issues around 165K
Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

The odds are you will have a few small problems but you can probably run that car to 200K. 133K isnt that much you will probably run into small issues around 165K
That's a vague assumption.

Originally Posted by Solebreaker
what are suggested spark plugs you guys would recommend
Year of vehicle please. In short, if you have a DEK (00-01) get Coppers, if you have a 02-03, get Iridiums. If anyone would like, I could explain.

Originally Posted by sofly09

Thanks
These cars run for what seems like forever. 200k+ trouble free is not uncommon. MAF & coils seem to be the downfall. Keep an eye on things, and spend some time on here. The SES light is the best communication source you have with your vehicle. It can be read at AutoZone. So when it lights, get the code read and bring the code here. Plug the code in the search criteria and read away.

it would actually be really helpful if someone coulp pop open the trunk of their maxima and take a picture of how the bottom piece there is suppose to look so i can see how bad the frame damage is. Thanks
Why don't you post some better resolution pics of the interior of your trunk. I had a similar occurrence a few years ago as well, so my eyes are semi-trained.

Originally Posted by maxximaa
Pretty vague, so very difficult to answer. If I were you, I would do some heavy reading in the Suspension forum.

Hey guys, new to this forum as well. Not sure if it's my settings but for some reason i can't create a new "topic" in the classifieds forum. Maybe i need a certain amount of posts to be able to do this?
You got 'em, now what are you going to do?

Originally Posted by evalyn
How many of you have taken off the plastic wind deflector that's mounted in front of your sunroof? What happens if you do that?
I'm not sure how it's mounted, but you might have a couple of holes or paint blemishes where it sat and was mounted. You will notice more wind noise when it is open &/or propped.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey looking for suggestions just picked up my 03 maxima 3 weeks ago or so... looking to get some mods done within this month(sept) I have about 3 grand to play with i am looking to do cattman headers nismo intake and not sure what exhaust to run. So in the end i am asking for help on finding a really good exhaust to run and any other performance parts to pick up. And last thing has anyone got the ecu flash from technosquare and how is it working out. Thanx for the help!!!!!!

Last edited by gofastermax; 08-28-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

I've got a feature that the car will automatically lock when you start it. How can I cut this feature off.

Also, I tried programming my key fobs and did a search. I get the light to blink but my fobs aren't picking it up. I know that the batteries are good. Am I suppose to hold down the lock button or what?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread