5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:06 PM

2003 Maxima

1. Is the 60,000 Miles TUNE UP from dealer worth it. Other than chanign filters, PCV , plugs, pwr steering belt and drive belt.... is there any Engine timing or mechanical stuff like to do with gearbox... (synchro adjustment/timing) or anything like that.

2. Anyone recommend me somebody who knows Maxima, and can hook me up with some minor maintainance repairs in Boston, MA region. I am a student, and have tried few forums, but dont get reply from people

Peace
Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by hassanqadir
1. Is the 60,000 Miles TUNE UP from dealer worth it. Other than chanign filters, PCV , plugs, pwr steering belt and drive belt.... is there any Engine timing or mechanical stuff like to do with gearbox... (synchro adjustment/timing) or anything like that.

2. Anyone recommend me somebody who knows Maxima, and can hook me up with some minor maintainance repairs in Boston, MA region. I am a student, and have tried few forums, but dont get reply from people

Peace
Try asking here in the NE egional forum

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Old 01-27-2008, 08:14 AM

ok i just got my maxima 3 days ago. the same day i got it, i heard an odd clunking noise coming from under the hood. i was just out cruisin around so i went home. on my way home, the SES light came on. i popped the hood when i got home an the intake was not connected to the air filter box. i ran the code and it said p0140, which is "Rear O2 Sensor High Input (Bank 1)." could it be reading this code just because the intake was disconnected? or is it just a coincidence that both the intake popped off and the SES light came on at just abou tthe same time?

thanks!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone ever had the air bag warning light start flashing? If so is there a way i can decode it myself, or just get it to stop? I have a 99.

thanks/
Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by dirtyxdave
Has anyone ever had the air bag warning light start flashing? If so is there a way i can decode it myself, or just get it to stop? I have a 99.

thanks/
there's a reset procedure for this, but you are in the wrong discussion thread....
Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by hassanqadir

Peace
the only time your car should go to the dealership is for work covered by warranty.
90% of the "tune up" is just them inspecting something and charging you for it.
research on here and do the stuff yourself.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by mattynicks3
ok i just got my maxima 3 days ago. the same day i got it, i heard an odd clunking noise coming from under the hood. i was just out cruisin around so i went home. on my way home, the SES light came on. i popped the hood when i got home an the intake was not connected to the air filter box. i ran the code and it said p0140, which is "Rear O2 Sensor High Input (Bank 1)." could it be reading this code just because the intake was disconnected? or is it just a coincidence that both the intake popped off and the SES light came on at just abou tthe same time?

thanks!
PLEASE follow the sig picture rules and resize that HUGE picture
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
the only time your car should go to the dealership is for work covered by warranty.
90% of the "tune up" is just them inspecting something and charging you for it.
research on here and do the stuff yourself.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 AM

I just put a new 02 sensor on and I would like to know how to restart the check engine light? Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 04:59 AM

Either with a OBDII scanner, I think Autozone and places like that can do it. Or disconnect your battery for a while, and once you connect it again, the light should be off.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Frigo
I just put a new 02 sensor on and I would like to know how to restart the check engine light? Thanks
if you truly fixed the problem, it will go away after driving the car for a bit.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JHASS
Hello,
I am a little worried about my car in regards to white smoke coming out of the exhaust after the car is at normal running temps. It doesn't seem to do any when im driving its when im just at a red light/stop sign & its not a lot just a little bit floating up. Its a 2k1.

post x2
From what I have heard, white smoke could be antifreeze getting into the engine.....possible leaking head gasket.....i am certainly no mechanic and have only minimal knowledge about this kind of stuff.....can anyone else provide more input on what this might be?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Thank you KQALLERIE, it was about time someone responded..
Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Cletus

Thank you KQALLERIE, it was about time someone responded..
is white smoke exclusive to a maxima

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...st&btnG=Search
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 AM

Sooner,
Maybe I wanted help from people who HAVE a maxima... I know there are google search engines to look at but I shouldn't have to look on there. I looked on the .org search engine and found some posts.

Honestly Sooner if your going to be of really NO HELP then please don't post... I know I am probably going to get flamed for saying that but I have seen/read some of your replies to posts and you are always so quick as to just be a jerk about your answers. I know you have MANY loyalists here that probably love to see your funny little replies to posts but NOT everyone has the same humor you guys do.

I'm really not upset i'm more just disappointed. I just needed to vent I guess.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
the org...not what it was

Sooner,
Maybe I wanted help from people who HAVE a maxima... I know there are google search engines to look at but I shouldn't have to look on there. I looked on the .org search engine and found some posts.

Honestly Sooner if your going to be of really NO HELP then please don't post... I know I am probably going to get flamed for saying that but I have seen/read some of your replies to posts and you are always so quick as to just be a jerk about your answers. I know you have MANY loyalists here that probably love to see your funny little replies to posts but NOT everyone has the same humor you guys do.

Your a noob so there are certain things you aren't aware of yet here on the org. One is sooner doesn't discriminate when it comes to his opinions or replies to people, you could be on this site for one day, or from day one, it doesn't matter because he's going to treat you the same.

I'm not saying that what he does is "right" but it's the way that he does things, so if it bothers you then don't pay it any mind, it's him, and it's how he responds to to certain type of posts. Being that said, this is a pretty common problem and even though he's being bit of a smart **** he does have a point.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 AM

x2 i just ignore and find out what i need to
Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Do Eibach Ground Control Coilovers need struts? Or do they just use springs alone?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jbrooks870
Do Eibach Ground Control Coilovers need struts? Or do they just use springs alone?
A quality set will come with struts, If your talking about cheap ebay coilcover then it adapts to your stock strut.

Without a strut your suspention would not hold together.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by jbrooks870
I think he's talking about the spring setup, ground control just sells the springs you have to pick out struts, so most people will say that koni yellow's will be the best choice for that combo, but don't install these on the stock struts please, your ride quality will be horrible
Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Hello guys... sorry for being a noob but I guess everyone starts as one...

A little background on me... I'm I computer graphics artist... that works in construction LOL yeah, so much for my degree... Anyway... I just started my own business and well its taking a told on me... Dont really have the time I used to have to spend it under a car.

I used to owned a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4... it was pretty well modified, at its best it put down 437 awhp and 463 ft-tq... I missed the car a lot... I sold it this past October, so that I can start my business. I hope to find myself another toy down the road.

Anyway, after the VR4 was sold. I picked up a 2000 Maxima GLE. I always been a fan of Maximas. My father had a 91 a long time ago... then my mother picked up a 96 a few years back, and well still running as strong as day one.

Anyway, the 2000 was a good deal, awesome color too, black interior, fully loaded. I been driving her like my VR4 (easy ) just cruising, showing her off. But just the other day, I put the petal to the metal and to my surprise my maxima made a funny noise at 5k. It sounded like a buzzing noise as it hit 5k to red line.

The car is automatic... shifts like butter. When you go WOT on the car, it down shifts normal and revs fast and strong all the way to 6.5k but once it hits 5k the buzzing noise goes off. I have no idea what it is... tranny? engine? no clue. Im new to maxima engineering but I want to learn... hell I can take apart my old vr4 with my eyes close. but this car is so different. Dont want to **** up anything (yet )

So, has this ever happen to anyone? how can it be fixed? Any help would be appreciated.

Dorian

PS: sorry for being a noob
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Cletus

Sooner,

my point was - all cars can have white smoke...and its caused by the same thing on all cars.
if you thought that post was rude....
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Is there anyway to set the maxima factory alarm/keyless entry to passive autolocking doors? So thet the doors lock automatically after get out of the car and shut the doors.

I know many aftermarket alarms do this I was wondering if the factory maxima alarm/keyless entry had this feature.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by K20z1_rsx
Is there anyway to set the maxima factory alarm/keyless entry to passive autolocking doors? So thet the doors lock automatically after get out of the car and shut the doors.

I know many aftermarket alarms do this I was wondering if the factory maxima alarm/keyless entry had this feature.
if you unlock the doors with the fob and never open the door, they will relock. thats it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by K20z1_rsx

I dont believe thats possible with the factory keyless entry. Time to get a viper or autopage
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM

this morning, I started my car and heard something lose from the driver side front wheel. It was like a belt or something and went away in 10 seconds.
I also noticed that my rear driver side wheel was making whirring noise at low speed.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey. i need help with installing my headers and y pipe for my car. would someone be able to tell me the steps of installing the header and y pipe. it not the 5th gen, it the 4th gen. if someone can help me out, that would be nice. thankz
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM

to add to my question... the buzzing noise is kind of like when one of those hand buzzers (you know kind of like the ones you put in your hand to shock people).

I hate to take it to Nissan and get ripped off if the problem is small... any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM

SEAFOAM

What are your thoughts on using SEAFOAM in the 5th gens? I have seen mixed reviews on this product. I DID SEARCH on google and on the org but saw older posts. My buddy who has a Lexus tried it & said it worked had better tb response.
I have seen some people say it messed up there o2 sensors & had the CEL come on... I am not trying to mess up my engine so any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, THANKS.

JHASS
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

What are your thoughts on using SEAFOAM in the 5th gens? I have seen mixed reviews on this product. I DID SEARCH on google and on the org but saw older posts. My buddy who has a Lexus tried it & said it worked had better tb response.
I have seen some people say it messed up there o2 sensors & had the CEL come on... I am not trying to mess up my engine so any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, THANKS.

JHASS
I've never done it nor ever plan on doing it, no reason for not doing it though, just don't.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by xvtxhaox
hey. i need help with installing my headers and y pipe for my car. would someone be able to tell me the steps of installing the header and y pipe. it not the 5th gen, it the 4th gen. if someone can help me out, that would be nice. thankz
Did you try the 4th gen forum?

Search harder:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....install+header

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-30-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by jasonmax
this morning, I started my car and heard something lose from the driver side front wheel. It was like a belt or something and went away in 10 seconds.
I also noticed that my rear driver side wheel was making whirring noise at low speed.
Belts are on the opposite side, you sure it was the drivers side? Have you inspected underneath the car and under the hood for any anomalies?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Ok I got cel the other day on my 2000 max had the code read it was the
p0505.

Last summer I did the coil and maf change.

Now I didnt have the ecu reflashed I just did the battery unplug

And I didnt do the idle re-learn after the maf change

Will not doing these affect me this late? the car is surging at idle,rpm's are hanging and it stalled a couple of time.

Or should I just go buy a new IACV and do the re-learn?

thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Patrick.R
Ok I got cel the other day on my 2000 max had the code read it was the
p0505.

Last summer I did the coil and maf change.

Now I didnt have the ecu reflashed I just did the battery unplug

And I didnt do the idle re-learn after the maf change

Will not doing these affect me this late? the car is surging at idle,rpm's are hanging and it stalled a couple of time.

Or should I just go buy a new IACV and do the re-learn?

thanks

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=549693
Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I did a search of the 'maf cleaning' threads and really didn't see an answer to my question:

When I removed the MAF sensor, all I saw to clean was about 1/4" or so of wire at the bottom of the sensor. I sprayed it down real good with the CRC MAF sensor cleaner and let it air dry about 15 minutes or so before re-installing it and plugging back in. Everything seems fine but is that really all there is to clean on them? Just 1/4" of wire? My 626 had a good 1" of exposed wire, at least. Just want to be sure I cleaned everything I was supposed to.

The can of the CRC MAF sensor cleaner says you gain 4-10 HP at the wheels and I want to make sure I get all 4-10. Plus, the can was a lot cheaper than a 10 HP hood scoop.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Throttle Body Cleaning

I have a 2000 Maxima and have been having some troubles lately. I've been having a rough idle, sluggish acceleration when cold, and recently have been stalling when I come to a stop after extended driving.

I researched the symptoms and want to try cleaning my throttle body. I found some instructions on motorvate.ca, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what tools I will need to take everything apart?

Also, should I be cleaning the MAF sensor at the same time or just leave it alone?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Spray the holy hell out of the entire sensor. What you're referring to is the IAT (tiny little wire), you want to spray that and all the other part of the sensor.

Hint:
Use irish44j as the user and search on the Fluids section, you'll find a horrifically huge thread in there about this stuff.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I found the thread, but it was in this forum, not the fluids one. Thanks for the search tips though, once I got the right forum it pulled it right up.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....or+cleaner+crc

Anyway, I pulled the MAF sensor again and sprayed it down several times. Didn't really notice much dirt coming off onto the towel (used microfiber to make sure no lint got near my MAF) but my guess is that it doesn't take much dirt to cause problems. Started up, idled and reved fine. I haven't had a chance to drive it though, will in an hour or so.

Last edited by Scottwax; 01-30-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

And another 1:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=maf

I use the stuff everyt ime I clean my K&N.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 PM

rough start after filling up

Just to give you a little history..( I have a 2002 se).About a month ago I went to start my car and it started rough and would not let me go past 2400rpm i think..So I changed the MAF with one from an 01 (part 2y001?) and that fixed my problem. Now the car ran ok, but it felt like i lost a lot of power, more noticeably on the bottom end. i went in to this knowing that I would have to swap over the IAT from the 2002 sensor. But when I bought the sensor, the guy at nissan told me i had to update the ecu. I thought he was trying to scam me so I said no im okay and left. Could this be the problem? Now while changing my oil the other day i decided to swap over the IAT while I had the hood up, this seems to have brought some of the power back. Well now on to the real problem. Everytime I fill my car with gas it has a hard time starting. The first time I tried to turn it over it started for a few seconds then died. i tried again this time giving it a little gas, this time it died and backfired. The third time I just held the key until it started and waited for it to smooth out which it eventually did. This has happened to me the last 4 times I have went to put gas in my car. I usually don't fill it up until the gas light comes on ( I'm a broke college student..lol). But im not sure if the light was on everytime I filled up. Could it be the fuel filter or pump? maybe the ignition (coils or plugs?) I've even heard tps or O2 sensor... Sorry for the long post, wanted to give as much detail in hopes of getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread