5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 AM

Whining sound between 40-60km/h....Transmission?

As soon as I hit about 40, as I slowly accelerate I can hear a whining sound (kind of like a go-kart speeding up)....and pitch gets higher as rpm's go up until I get to around 60m/h. Sounds transmission-related but I could be wrong...I was just wondering if anybody else experiences this? and should I be checking something in particular?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 Headlights and fogs

I just moved to San Diego from NYC and for the 1st time in 8 years I purchased a car. So I picked up an '01 Maxima SE fully loaded knowing that I would get the best bang for my buck. This black on black Max is a beauty and I couldn't be happier however I am a little disappointed with the lighting that this car puts out. So I am exploring my options in terms of upgrading the headlights.

This car was very well maintained but I noticed the highbeams weren't working. I picked up some replacement bulbs at Autozone figuring that one was blown and low and behold there were no lights in the highbeam holes. My guess is that the previous owner wanted to ride with the fogs/running lights which you can do if the highbeam bulbs aren't in place. The problem is he never bothered to put the rubber caps and "****" that hold the bulbs in place back in. I have the bulbs installed now but they are being held by the metal retainer that is built int othe headlamp. Granted I live in SoCo where it never rains but still I know it could present an issue down the road.

So here are my questions:

Should I just purchase a pair of new headlight assemblys and if so what would you recommend? I saw some "20th Anniversery Edition" Headlights that would look nice but want to make sure they would be a fit. Perhaps there are some better options that members can suggest for me. Halos look kinda cool but I couldn't find an HID conversion kit for them which brings me to my next question...

I was looking at some HID conversion kits:
http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=13
I do not know how reputable the above company is but they seem to have a good product at a good price and was curious to see what others have used to convert their headlights to HID on an '01 Max.

All appreciate any feedback and apologize for the long post.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 PM
wat

the AE headlights work, but you might wanna consider this, the 02-03 maximas came stock w/ hid lights so you might wanna do a swap instead.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:48 PM

i'm new here guys, just joined yesterday, and today i have an issue. today i let off of my clutch a little fast, peeled the tires and now my service engine soon(ses) light is on my dash. any ideas, my current mileage is 87,1xx. this is my third maxima and i never had this problem before. any ideas? thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 PM

Question(s)...

I have a '03 Maxima that has the stock Navigation system and I wanted to change it to an aftermarket touch screen DVD/CD stereo system and I noticed that my A/C and heat are within the den so the ***** are apart of the system, so whenever I change the temperature from A/C to heat and vice-versa it shows up on the screen. So my first question is:

(1) If I switch to an aftermarket system, will I lose the controls for the A/C and heat? Or can whoever installs the new system be able to re-wire it so that it does work with the new system?

(2) What is the best aftermarket stereo system that gives you the best overall quality for your money?

If its confusing for anybody I can take pictures so that you can get a better understanding of what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 02nismaxlegnd94
i'm new here guys, just joined yesterday, and today i have an issue. today i let off of my clutch a little fast, peeled the tires and now my service engine soon(ses) light is on my dash. any ideas, my current mileage is 87,1xx. this is my third maxima and i never had this problem before. any ideas? thanks in advance.
go to autozone and get them to read the code. Once you know what the code is, take a look in the sticky at the top of this section to see what it means. Then we'll go from there.....
Old 10-13-2006, 05:58 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Smokin Max
Question(s)...

I have a '03 Maxima that has the stock Navigation system and I wanted to change it to an aftermarket touch screen DVD/CD stereo system and I noticed that my A/C and heat are within the den so the ***** are apart of the system, so whenever I change the temperature from A/C to heat and vice-versa it shows up on the screen. So my first question is:

(1) If I switch to an aftermarket system, will I lose the controls for the A/C and heat? Or can whoever installs the new system be able to re-wire it so that it does work with the new system?

(2) What is the best aftermarket stereo system that gives you the best overall quality for your money?

If its confusing for anybody I can take pictures so that you can get a better understanding of what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.
can't help you with this question, but you might want to inquier about audio topics in the audio section of the .org, for better advice.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jchin34
Hi it's been a long while since I orginally posted this question w/o any answers. Can anyone help me out??
I would guess that your ABS light is on "on its own", and the slip, tcs, and check engine lights all being on represent coil pack failure.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very Rough Idle when Cold

This is my 3rd Max. Had a 89 - Purchased new and a 91 for the wife. Got to near 300K on both before totaled. Never had any probs. So when it was time to purchase for my daughter - what else but a Max.

2k Black GLE - Cal. emissions. Got code 420 - replaced precat - code went away. 500 miles later got code 430 for other (front) precat. Put in o2 sim - code gone.

Now thats in getting cold out in morning - the car has a very rough idle when it is started. At stop light it will surge then sputter then surge. This all goes away after 10 min when the car is warm.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe MAF but everbodys MAF probs seem different from this.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
can't help you with this question, but you might want to inquier about audio topics in the audio section of the .org, for better advice.
Cool, thanks anyway!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Smokin Max
Question(s)...

Thanks in advance.
Just curious, why would you want to replace the NAV system with an aftermarket head unit?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear riding low

I've noticed that alot of maximas i see on the road appear to sit too low over the rear wheels, as if they are leaning back. I noticed this on 4th and 5th gens. Is this a known problem with the struts? I just got a used 03 GLE and the rear suspension feels way too soft... and when I go over a speed bump, the rear may sometimes bottom out. Is this just because of the beam axle that nissan decided to use? I am comming from an 02 altima 2.5s so am used to a bit tighter suspension.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

RSB, lowering springs = Fix
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 AM

Hey all, Anyone know if 18" OEM Rims for a 350z will fit an '00 Max SE w/o any issues?

Thx.
Donovan
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM

how do i reset the mpg and the avg mph thing? thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by llama
how do i reset the mpg and the avg mph thing? thanks.
Hold down the trip button
Old 10-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Also what grade synthetic oil should I get, I know to get 5 cases and put in 4 quarts run the engine 5 mins put half more in, but what grade is the best? Damn what would I do without you NmexMax <3
Old 10-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by llama
Also what grade synthetic oil should I get, I know to get 5 cases and put in 4 quarts run the engine 5 mins put half more in, but what grade is the best? Damn what would I do without you NmexMax <3
Try in the maintenance/fluids section. But many run 5w30 synthetic.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaZinNOVA
Hey all, Anyone know if 18" OEM Rims for a 350z will fit an '00 Max SE w/o any issues?

Thx.
Donovan
The rims have the same bolt pattern, so yes, they will fit. Whether the tires will rub or not depends on what size tires and how low your car is dropped.

Look through these forums as well for past threads on this:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=71
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The rims have the same bolt pattern, so yes, they will fit. Whether the tires will rub or not depends on what size tires and how low your car is dropped.

Look through these forums as well for past threads on this:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Thx Puppet I assumed that but just wanted to make sure... Maybe one day soon my max will be cool enough to "hang" with the NOVA crowd...

D
Old 10-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Thx Puppet I assumed that but just wanted to make sure... Maybe one day soon my max will be cool enough to "hang" with the NOVA crowd...

D
You don't have to have "cool" car to hang out with any of us.

If you're interested, there are people auto-crossing this weekend in MD. Even if you're not actually competing, it's a good time to meet some local .Orgers and hang out.

Check out the local forums for more details:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Auto-x thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=490098
Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 AM

You don't have to have "cool" car to hang out with any of us.

If you're interested, there are people auto-crossing this weekend in MD. Even if you're not actually competing, it's a good time to meet some local .Orgers and hang out.

Check out the local forums for more details:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Auto-x thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=490098

First allow me to jump for joy at the sight of "15" posts... :sigh:

Ok... I'll check it out, but I've got alot going on this weekend.. If I don't make it, I'll def. make it to the next one...

Donovan...

Thanks again to the .Org for being a great site. This place has been a tremendous help...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:23 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by tim625
Just curious, why would you want to replace the NAV system with an aftermarket head unit?
Because he's getting another touch screen with DVD, which most likely comes with a better Nav system.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This post was deleted because the moderators of the 5th Gen forum (and all other forums on Maxima.Org, except for the Weekend Battles forum) do not permit any discussion of illegal street racing. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Similar reasoning also applies for advice on how to remove the speed governor. We do not condone it and will not allow any discussions on how to disable it. Thank you for your understanding.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:03 PM
retired moderator

First allow me to jump for joy at the sight of "15" posts... :sigh:

Ok... I'll check it out, but I've got alot going on this weekend.. If I don't make it, I'll def. make it to the next one...

Donovan...

Thanks again to the .Org for being a great site. This place has been a tremendous help...
yep, drop by the local forum and say hi. There are alot of 5th gens in the Fairfax/W.Springfield/Burke area and several of us get together occasionally.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tim625
I mean it's cool and all, but I'm really not to fond of that particular NAV system and plus it doesn't read some of my burnt cd's or plays DVD's. Two, its a single disc and sometimes I have to put the CD in like 2-3 times for it to even play. I also have a CD Changer in the trunk, but when I bought the car it didn't have the disc sleeve (loader) for it, so I would have to replace that altogether.

Overall I just want something more updated.

Originally Posted by VaporHead
Because he's getting another touch screen with DVD, which most likely comes with a better Nav system.
^ That too
Old 10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

anyone here have instructions on how to wire up 02 hid headlights into an 01? Theyre not stolen, I can provide proof of owning the car and the headlight purchase. I just need help on what to do in order to make them work. I tried searching, but all the old links are down and no info can be found.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM

Have a 2000 GLE

I bought a 2000 GLE and have moved on from my Honda Accord.
I am new to the site and have been spending hours looking up if the 02-03 headlights will fit a 2000 gle? I see you are upgrading. Can you tell me how much you payed and where you found them online. Want to do the same thing, can not stand the headlights on my car now. Want to upgrade the tailights and sidemarkers too if you know of any good deals. Should have bought an 02 but the transmisson stuck from Park to D in 2 that I drove, so I stayed away from them.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 PM

Are these springs the same that are on the cattman website???

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...00239&c=29&l=2

says 1.8 drop thought they were 1.7
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the 02 headlights will fit the 00 and the 01. The wiring you will have to do on your own and you wont find help on this site so good luck on that one. I bought them on ebay and Im not exactly sure on price. Not cheap tho.

ps. I found the 2k2 install without the help of this site. So thanks everyone for nothin.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TC_Max_SE
the 02 headlights will fit the 00 and the 01. The wiring you will have to do on your own and you wont find help on this site so good luck on that one. I bought them on ebay and Im not exactly sure on price. Not cheap tho.

ps. I found the 2k2 install without the help of this site. So thanks everyone for nothin.
I think the attitude is uncalled for here.

Anyway, please read:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=253409

Especially #16. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:41 AM

I don't think so. I changed both belts at mechanics shop few months ago because the alternator belt had many cracks and squealled when it was wet outside. Yes, old belt was squealing but I don't remember hearing the whine sound. But how can I check if the bearings are bad? As I understand, I need to check alternator and AC.
Sorry guy. If it were me I would leave the engine at idle and try to pick it up by ear. It might help to have a helper blip the engine a bit to pronouce the issue. Between the two (if this is the issue) I would go for alternator. A/C compressors are usually pretty beef cake. You can also turn off the compressor and when the clutch disengages it should just spin freely.

If you had a shop do this, I wouldn't take anything apart. Hold their feet to the fire until it is fixed. Tell them Visa will take the money back if they give you crap. If you go about mesing with it and tell them you did then they are off the hook.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 AM

Brake caliper question:

I have seen some info on motorvate's site and some discussion on this .org, but am new to brakes but feel confident in doing them with enough how-to info and thoughtful review before beginning. Right now I want to lube the caliper pins since I have learned on this site that it is suggested yearly. Is the job as simple as motorvate's site seems to make it appear? I don't want to screw them up but keep them in good condition. Any other helpful how-to's on caliper maintenance, brake pad replacement, etc?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:57 PM

Hi,
I crashed my very first car: 95 240sx last month .

Will be greatly missed. FR will always be in my heart.
Now, my brother is offering his 2000 maxima se with 97000 miles for $5,000. I'm new to the FF scene and was wondering if there are any major problems that I should be looking for. OR problems I should be looking forward to. When does the OEM clutch usually go out? Thanks, Mario
Old 10-20-2006, 05:22 PM
retired moderator

I think the attitude is uncalled for here.

Anyway, please read:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=253409

Especially #16. Thanks.
Honestly Joel, that rule is pretty lame. 98% of the Maxima HIDs stolen are stolen so some donkey can use the ballast to convert his civic halogens to HIDs - they don't want the housings. For as many hundreds of Maxima headlights get stolen, there are really not that many people who have converted their 00-01 to the newer lights.

Though I agree the how-to for install to a 00-01 should not be posted up publicly, I disagree that anyone who ASKS about it should be banned without proving purchase.

People get their nice wheels and audio systems stolen all the time too, but I don't see a ban of discussion regarding buying secondhand wheels or audio components.

In any case n00bs, follow the rules, even if they sometimes don't make much sense. If I still had a copy of the how-to that I used, i'd help you out.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:24 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by cflemm
Whining sound between 40-60km/h....Transmission?

As soon as I hit about 40, as I slowly accelerate I can hear a whining sound (kind of like a go-kart speeding up)....and pitch gets higher as rpm's go up until I get to around 60m/h. Sounds transmission-related but I could be wrong...I was just wondering if anybody else experiences this? and should I be checking something in particular?
It could be a bad ground of the audio system/speakers, which sometimes results in picking up alternator "signals" and transmitting them through the speakers....
Old 10-20-2006, 05:26 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Brake caliper question:

I have seen some info on motorvate's site and some discussion on this .org, but am new to brakes but feel confident in doing them with enough how-to info and thoughtful review before beginning. Right now I want to lube the caliper pins since I have learned on this site that it is suggested yearly. Is the job as simple as motorvate's site seems to make it appear? I don't want to screw them up but keep them in good condition. Any other helpful how-to's on caliper maintenance, brake pad replacement, etc?
motorvate is a great site, and lubing the caliper pins is pretty simple - just make sure to get the correct kind of lube for them. Other than that, just make sure the brake bolts are torqued to spec (I've lost a few over the years while driving when they've loosened themselves), and that you are using good pads.

not much else you can do to maintain calipers unless you rebuild them, but stock calipers should last a good long time
Old 10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
retired moderator

[QUOTE=hayai240sx]Hi,
I crashed my very first car: 95 240sx last month .

nice choice of wheels. i use identical ones on the maxima at the track
Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 AM

motorvate is a great site, and lubing the caliper pins is pretty simple - just make sure to get the correct kind of lube for them. Other than that, just make sure the brake bolts are torqued to spec (I've lost a few over the years while driving when they've loosened themselves), and that you are using good pads.

not much else you can do to maintain calipers unless you rebuild them, but stock calipers should last a good long time

Thanks!

Got another question(s):
1. How can I tell what type of pad I have? i.e. cheap, mid-grade, etc. Do I have to take it off? If I got cheapies, I may just replace them anyway cause I am sick of cheap junk pads I have had on past vehicles. Also, pad type seems to affect the break-in procedure mentioned on stoptech that I'm learning about.
2. I have VERY slight vibration and after reading the stoptech technical articles, it appears that garnet paper will likely help this issue. Do I need to use it on both pads/rotors or just the rotors? And then followup w/ break-in procedure????
3. If I find I must replace pads, I want good quality, and it appears that Hawk HPS are ok for street use (I don't brake hard at all) so does this seem oK? (if not, good suggestions?)
4. If/when replacing pads, will I need to "garnet paper" or sand the rotors again and then proceed w/ the break-in procedures?

Thanks for all the help. It sounds to me that w/ proper pad usage and break-in, the rotors should last a long time and this vibration stuff is really not bad rotors but poor maintenance, pads, and driving styles???
Old 10-21-2006, 10:36 AM

motorvate is a great site, and lubing the caliper pins is pretty simple - just make sure to get the correct kind of lube for them.
What exactly IS the correct kind of lube for the caliper pins? Will my Nissan dealer or Dave B know? Is it a molydenum dislufide lube? Thanks, if you know.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread