5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Help! Being Taken Advantage Of!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Help! Being Taken Advantage Of!

Just bought my car 3 weeks ago. SES light comes on. 2 Bad 0S Sensors. Repair including parts/labor = $700. Original dealership is not wanting to pay. WTF should I do? I'm pissed and prepared to fight.

What is the consequence of not repairing these right away? What is the potential damage to the car?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 AM

first, got to Autozne and pull the codes for your SES lights, then research those codes on here. Most likely its a $30 fix by buying and installing O2 simulator...

(I hope you didn't dress up in drag, otherwise thats why you are being taken advantage of).
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 AM

Check your states lemon laws. Odds are they have to fix it or give you your money back.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Check your warranty. Most dealerships warranty used cars for 30 days and 3000 miles, and that warranty includes emissions parts. Read your paperwork, and if you find it in there, throw it in their face. I went through the same thing with a canister. They ended up paying for the repair.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 707SE
Just bought my car 3 weeks ago. SES light comes on. 2 Bad 0S Sensors. Repair including parts/labor = $700. Original dealership is not wanting to pay. WTF should I do? I'm pissed and prepared to fight.

What is the consequence of not repairing these right away? What is the potential damage to the car?
Well someone said, LEMON... o2 sensor is far from making the car a LEMON... Lemon law (at least in NY) covers only MaJOR stuff and only powertrain.

700 for 2 sensors is very steep any reputable dealer should do right by you. Check your papers, see if you got like a 30 day guarantee. Most dealers offer that.

Good luck., and check the codes than post back.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 AM

Car is @ the dealership so I can't check the paperwork @ the moment.
The codes = P0138 HIGH CURRENT/VOLTAGE...

I posted in a thread last week titled P0140 something or another and didn't get a reply.

You're right, this seems like a black/white issue, a no brainer. I wouldn't have brought this up had 6 months gone by. But I haven't even made my first payment and I'm already looking @ a $700 repair bill. The stealership I purchased from is going to call me back shortly to tell me whther or not they will step up. If not I'm SOL and will have to pay out of pocket.

I will contact the Better Business Bureau to report them if I'm denied. It seems at that point the only thing I can do is warn others of my experience...
Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 AM

UPDATE:
The Moment of Truth arrived:
Dealership that I purchased it at 3 weeks ago answer?
"Take a hike!"

I'm SOL. So, now I turn to you and ask the following:
Do I pay for the stealership to go ahead and fix it ($700)
or
DIY?

On a level of 1-10 with 10 being a pro, I'm a 5-6 when it comes to working on cars. Is this fix easy enough to take care of on my own? I'm already into the stealership by about $120 for the diag.
What do you think?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:50 AM

UPDATE:
The Moment of Truth arrived:
Dealership that I purchased it at 3 weeks ago answer?
"Take a hike!"

I'm SOL. So, now I turn to you and ask the following:
Do I pay for the stealership to go ahead and fix it ($700)
or
DIY?

On a level of 1-10 with 10 being a pro, I'm a 5-6 when it comes to working on cars. Is this fix easy enough to take care of on my own? I'm already into the stealership by about $120 for the diag.
What do you think?

buy an o2 sim for thirty bucks and fix it yourself, its about a 1-2 on the difficulty scale, its very easy to do.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by tjrocks
buy an o2 sim for thirty bucks and fix it yourself, its about a 1-2 on the difficulty scale, its very easy to do.
sounds good but I have this question:

WTF does an 02 sensor do, why are they so expensive, why is a simulator so inexpensive (relatively) and what is the potential collateral damage to "merely"
installing a simulator?

I'm pissed off the more I think about this!

I'm going out of town this next weekend. I'm worried about damaging the car by driving it long distance w/ this problem.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

What kind of dealer (Nissan, honda, Toyota) did you buy the car from? How many miles are on the car?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Perhaps you deserve to be taken advantage of.

2 sensors cost $210 from Nissan. installation is a 2.75345 on a 10 scale. Buy an o2 sensor socket (11.99) and spend teh afternoon with your car.

Only half of my o2 sensors are connected. And I have 2 o2 sims that are still sealed in their bag.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stardust
What kind of dealer (Nissan, honda, Toyota) did you buy the car from? How many miles are on the car?
Nissan Dealership - 48K on the odometer currently.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:30 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Nissan Dealership - 48K on the odometer currently.
Keep trying different dealers until you find one that will warranty the repair. Also call 1-800-NISSAN-1 to complain.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Perhaps you deserve to be taken advantage of.

2 sensors cost $210 from Nissan. installation is a 2.75345 on a 10 scale. Buy an o2 sensor socket (11.99) and spend teh afternoon with your car.

Only half of my o2 sensors are connected. And I have 2 o2 sims that are still sealed in their bag.
You my friend can go straight to hell and not come back. J/K.

I plan on doing just as you have said
Old 11-13-2006, 12:51 PM

I did one sensor at the Nissan Dealer by me a while back ago. Price was $172 installed. Go to another dealer or do it your self. No DAMAGE will be done to your car for driving with bad sensors. Depending on the sensor, you might get lack luster MPG apart from that nothing to worry about.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:57 PM

If you drive long enough with a bank 1 sensor bad you could cause you CAT to go bad due to large amounts of unburnt fuel running through it or so I hear
Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Update:

After raising additional Holy Hell, those Sons of Beyotches have agreed to correct the problem. Only issue is me driving to the Nissan dealership I purchased from which is 2 hours away as they refuse to pay another dealership to perform the repair. The last battle I have is making them pay the $120 Diagnosis fee I paid my local Nissan Dealership. I'm taking the invoice with me tomorrow and will throw that in their face. After the repair I still intend on reporting them to BBB. It seems to me that this has been a bigger issue than it ever should have been, given the circumstances.

this is my first non-private party purchase. Dealership = Group of too tight Polo Shirt & pleated slacks wearing, Gut over the belt having, scumbags!!!!!!!1
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Dealership = Group of too tight Polo Shirt & pleated slacks wearing, Gut over the belt having, scumbags!!!!!!!1
We could've told you that.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Chicken Feet Croo!

dood.. the first thing you need to do is calm down..

The O2 sensors going bad happens quite often on this forum. Spend a little bit of time (i know youve been here for a few weeks) and search this forum for answers.

Contact daveb on here an ask him to give you a quote for your sensors. Do you know which ones are bad? There should be a total of 4 in your max. If not, I suggest doing what Nick79 said and get the codes pulled from an autozone for free. You'll find out which banks are bad.

Then ask around local shops to see how much the labor for replacing the O2 sensors are. I don't expect you to pay that much.

This is all assuming you don't want to/don't know how to do the work yourself.

The labor you paid the dealership could have gone towards a new sensor. Autozone would have charged you nothing to pull the code.

Chill out and and think about things before you throw money at the dealership.

my .02
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM

Thanks and you're right. It just pisses me off that not one month into ownership I deal with this garbage (SES Light). One of the reasons I got rid of my Altima was because I became inundated with maintenance issues. Anyhow, thanks everyone for the insight/suggestions. This forum has once again proved it's worth and consequently provoked me to contribute to it's upkeep.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

provoked me to contribute to it's upkeep
Contribute here.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I see that you're now buying mods for your car. What happened with all of this?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM

Well it's bitter sweet and I suppose I shouldn't complain but I still am.

Basically the stealership that I purchased it from decided to replace the O2 Sensor. I had to drive two hours on a work day to their shop to have it replaced. Good news is they did it for free if you exclude the travel cost and lost time at work. That saved $700 the local stealership was alleging the repair would cost. So far so good on the repair. No SES light since then.

The part that pisses me off is this: The Service Advisor at the dealership I purchased from told me that I could go to my local dealership and if it was infact a P1448 code (or whatever the bad O2 code is) then it'd be covered under the 3year 36K warranty. I told him that didn't sound right given it was a used car with 48K on the odometer. He told me that it didn't matter. I had 3 years 36k from the date/mileage I purchased it at. He gave the example that if I bought it in January 05 @ 40K I'd have until Jan 08 or 76K to have that coverage. He assured me that was the case so I went ahead and took it to the local dealership. After they diagnosed and confirmed the bad O2 sensor they gave me the quote and said it wasn't covered under the emissions warranty because of mileage expiration. So at the very least I had to pay $120 for the diag.

After raising hell the original stealership decided to do the repair. Great. When I went in I took my diagnostic invoice. Explained that I would not have had the local dealership diagnosis it had I not been given bad information regarding the warranty. The service advisor, CHRIS denied he gave me the information. He said there was no way he'd say that. I spoke to his manager. His manager said he'd talk to the GM but they probably wouldn't be buying this story.

The GM didn't call me so I call him. He tells me to "F" off. I ask to speak to Chris. Chris's manager gets on the phone tellls me I can't talk to him and they aren't paying the diag fee.

So I'm out $120 b/c of this guy. Technically I shouldn't complain but I feel like I have every reason to. I'm not lying. This is what I was told and I got screwed as a result. It pisses me off. I probably won't see the $ but I've still decided to report them to the Better Business Bureau as well as here: http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Da...c-review-3944/

This was my bad though. I should've kept walking when I first got to the dealership. I got a weird feeling, not from the sales guy, but from his beyotch *** manager. Problem is that the car was as close to everything I was looking for as I had found.

It's amazing what dealerships can get away with. If anyone lives in the Bay Area I'd say that Daland Nissan is a terrible terrible terrible place to do biz with. From pushy *** sales to **** poor customer service. You'd be better off taking your business elsewhere.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 AM

BTW - I haven't forgotten about contributing to the forums. Soon...
Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

The part that pisses me off is this: The Service Advisor at the dealership I purchased from told me that I could go to my local dealership and if it was infact a P1448 code (or whatever the bad O2 code is) then it'd be covered under the 3year 36K warranty. I told him that didn't sound right given it was a used car with 48K on the odometer. He told me that it didn't matter. I had 3 years 36k from the date/mileage I purchased it at. He gave the example that if I bought it in January 05 @ 40K I'd have until Jan 08 or 76K to have that coverage. He assured me that was the case so I went ahead and took it to the local dealership.
Yep, this part he told you was complete BS and he did a good job of passing the buck.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 PM

call columbo
Old 11-28-2006, 02:17 PM

707: Don't worry its not the worst that can happen, i picked up my car from a privet owner on they way home the SES light came oh, o2 Sensor went bad. Paid 110 for the sensor and 25 for install at my mechanic. Its not the worst that can happen, i know how you feel tho.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dan5.5
707: Don't worry its not the worst that can happen, i picked up my car from a privet owner on they way home the SES light came oh, o2 Sensor went bad. Paid 110 for the sensor and 25 for install at my mechanic. Its not the worst that can happen, i know how you feel tho.
It pisses me off but I chalk that up to karma...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Never changed 02 on Max but helped my brother on his Lexus. We bought the new o2 at Autozone, asked them about the wire's color and rewired at home. Took us almost 1 hr. from jacking up the the car to pulling the jack in the garage.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Nissan needs to be attacked. Research lemon laws, prepare to get a lawyer, and prepare to fight. Document everything. Fight to have the car returned as a lemon to send Nissan a message: Go back to competing with Toyota in quality, and send a message to Nissan that cars made in Mexico aren't as good as the Japan made cars and there is a cost in lemons to doing business there.

http://autopedia.com/Lemon/CA_lemonlaw.html

CA is a pain in butt since there is no cooling off period, but they do have lemon laws.

Taking delivery of a car puts the burden of proof on you, but I believe 3 incidents in the same system sets off the lemon law.

FIGHT. Fight against the tyranny of dishonest men.

Post the dealers name on Usenet, here, everywhere if he continues to screw you. If I see the name, I will mail that dealership to everyone I know as BLACKLISTED and put up a web site documenting it with good META tags to get Google and other sites to crawl. The goal is to get more hits on Google than the dealership's site. Its been done before! Companies pay tens of thousands to get good hit ranking on Google and I've seen FU websites beat them.

Make the $1000 they screw you cost 10-20K in marketing to try and undo the damage you can do. Also prepare to lodge complaints with various BBBs, etc, put posters up at the local ELKS, etc, lodges, and sue in small claims court. The lawyer fees will cost more than the repairs.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

It's a used car.. I don't know if one O2 sensor classifies it as a lemon..

I read some of the other reviews from that dealership.. jesus, how do they ahve customers?? Nissan should investigate them.