5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Had the ECU reprogrammed this morning for the TSB 2500-3000 RPM stutter...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 AM

Had the ECU reprogrammed this morning for the TSB 2500-3000 RPM stutter...

...and they tried to sell me a OEM air filter for $38 because I had a "aftermarket" air filter in there.

I guess they now consider a brand new Purolator OEM replacement filter with nice netal case and thick rubber seal a aftermarket filter now because it's not a crap cardboard OEM Nissan filter.

Anyhow, I replaced my MAF sensor w/a '01 about 20k miles ago and never had the ECU reset. Been cursed with the 2500-3000k stutter since I bought the car and figured I should finally get around to getting the TSB done. Stutter is now gone, gone, gone!!! Power feels so much nicer now that the powerband is a smooth transition from idle through acceleration.

Total cost ===> $104.37 w/free car wash (free? hmmm...)

Very pleased and the overall experience was great. Got to service at 8:30am this morning and left the dealer at 10:00am.

Nissan North - RT 23 (High St.) - Cols, Oh
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
...and they tried to sell me a OEM air filter for $38 because I had a "aftermarket" air filter in there.

I guess they now consider a brand new Purolator OEM replacement filter with nice netal case and thick rubber seal a aftermarket filter now because it's not a crap cardboard OEM Nissan filter.

Anyhow, I replaced my MAF sensor w/a '01 about 20k miles ago and never had the ECU reset. Been cursed with the 2500-3000k stutter since I bought the car and figured I should finally get around to getting the TSB done. Stutter is now gone, gone, gone!!! Power feels so much nicer now that the powerband is a smooth transition from idle through acceleration.

Total cost ===> $104.37 w/free car wash (free? hmmm...)

Very pleased and the overall experience was great. Got to service at 8:30am this morning and left the dealer at 10:00am.

Nissan North - RT 23 (High St.) - Cols, Oh
if its not original equipment manufacturer item then its aftermarket regardless if its performance oriented or oem style/replacement. but congrats on your repair?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:45 PM
2002 maxima se

anyone who replace maf should sooner or later get the ecm reprogram for better mileage and performance. you did the right thing by getting it done. btw whats the TSB? is it throttle body?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by OC guy
btw whats the TSB? is it throttle body?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nismopc - There is a TSB on it but it still costs $104? Did you replace your MAF because it crapped out on you or was it just starting to go?

OC guy - What kind of gas mileage were you getting before reprogram and what are you getting now?

I think my MAF is fine but I have the hesitation and manually reset the ECU which helped some but did not completely eliminate the 3k hesitation.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:51 PM

i've been thinking about doing the same since the new maf said that the ecu should be reprogramed. i called the dealer and asked about it, the service desk tech said he does'nt know about it. but when i told him about the notice, he said if it says that, it should be done.

funny thing is that i dont have any hesitation or lack of power, then again a week after i bought the car, the CEL light come on after a hard acceleration. so who know if the car is at the top of its game.

so after that i was in no hurry to go to the stealer. glad to hear it worked out, maybe now i'll pay them a visit, since i want to order the the mudflaps anyways.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
2002 maxima se

Maxfli. after replacing the maf and getting ecm reprogrammed my car feels totally diffrent. i have not ever caluculated the mpg but i do feel that the new maf and ecm update has increased the mpg and my car runs better than what it used to run with old maf. i was told by few that ecm is not necessary but it is recomended if you want to get full benifits out of your new updated maf.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:00 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by 02nismaxlegnd94
i've been thinking about doing the same since the new maf said that the ecu should be reprogramed. i called the dealer and asked about it, the service desk tech said he does'nt know about it. but when i told him about the notice, he said if it says that, it should be done.

so after that i was in no hurry to go to the stealer.
dont listen to what dealers have to say. sometime those techs have no idea.

To keep your car running perfect and to get full benefits out of your new updated maf. you must get the ecm reprogrammed. it cost around $100 and you will be noticing better gas mileage and better performance once the ecm is reprogrammed. i know the new maf comes with little note where it says (ecm reprogramming is recommended) so dont ignore this procedure and get it done as soon as possible.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:05 PM

i test drove an 03 max se 6mt today that i noticed had a slight hesitation feeling around 2500-3000k rpms. i was wondering why it was doing it. i was in second gear in the car then got on it about half throttle and noticed the hesitation. Even flooring it taking off i noticed it. It wasn't a smooth constant acceleration. Could this be due to needing reprogramming? i was wondering cause im actually wanting to purchase this vehicle. I have no clue since i dont know who the previous owner is whether or not they've ever changed out the maf.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by oldskooljdm
i test drove an 03 max se 6mt today that i noticed had a slight hesitation feeling around 2500-3000k rpms. i was wondering why it was doing it. i was in second gear in the car then got on it about half throttle and noticed the hesitation. Even flooring it taking off i noticed it. It wasn't a smooth constant acceleration. Could this be due to needing reprogramming? i was wondering cause im actually wanting to purchase this vehicle. I have no clue since i dont know who the previous owner is whether or not they've ever changed out the maf.
you cant assume if the maf was replaced or not unless you find it out anyhow. maf on 03 is different than 00-01 and cost alot more than 01 maf. the symptoms you have described do related to maf. but there are few other things that can cause hesitation such as dirty throttle body, plugs/coils. but most of the time new maf solves the hesistation issue. so if you ever decide to buy a new maf for the car you wanting to purchase go for 01 updated maf because it only cost near $100 the maf for 02-03 cost near $450 and i am pretty sure that many of ORG. members have installed 01 maf in thier 02-03 max. and regardless of that ecm reprogramming you'll only need to get that procedure done when you install the new maf=mass airflow meter. otherwise dont worry about reprogramming the ECM.
EDIT: if you happen to buy that 03 max make sure you find out about coils, 02 sensors, maf, plugs etc. because these are the common issues in 01 to 03 max. you'll have to replace these parts sooner or later.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Maxfli
...There is a TSB on it but it still costs $104? ...
Most all TSB's are charged to the owner unless car is under warranty. Only recalls are 100% paid for by dealer/mfg.