5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: yes or no.
get them
27.08%
dont get them, cheasy
72.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

MAF replaced, feels like new!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you oil the K&N filter properly it shouldn't be an issue. That said though, it is easy to mess this up and over oil the thing.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ok great thanks, ive had a a great experience with K&N on my previous vehicles...so I don' think i'll change. Is MAF a concern for all 2000-2003 maxima owners......or is there more to it? i really havent dont anything (yet) to my engine...its all stock...and i dont drive it crazy yet. sticking to the reliability of the maxima....will i have to worry about replacing the MAF in the near future? (if i dont mod it). sorry if thats a general question...i am a little concerned with all the 02 sensor/ MAF replacements people post on here.....i'm having my first 02 sensor replaced this weekend.

02 max...6spd with 65k on it.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 PM

Just for clarification. The true Nissan OEM 2000/2001 MAF part # is 22680-2Y001. It is NOT 22680-VQ30D. That part # is Courtesy's internet dealer part #.

Also, FYI. You can get the 2000/2001 MAF at www.nissanparts.cc for $88.40 shipped. I have bought from them several times in the past and they have been excellent. Quick shipping.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF Replaced

Let me add myself to the list of people that got the MAF replaced on my 2000 Maxima. It fixed all the problems. My car used to stall after putting it in Park after driving around for a while. Also, the RPM's would drop under 500 in stop and go traffic. I never had check engine light. I took it to Nissan and they replaced the MAF.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 AM

I just ordered my maf from courtesy nissan; 99 bucks shipped. it should be here next week. i'll probably need a little advice on the install. ALL help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by da big cheese
I just ordered my maf from courtesy nissan; 99 bucks shipped. it should be here next week. i'll probably need a little advice on the install. ALL help will be GREATLY appreciated.
This thread has several posts on instructions on how to do the install.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Ordered mine from www.nissanparts.cc for $88.40 shipped.

Ordered it Sunday night and it arrived this evening. Superfast service.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat
Is MAF replacement covered under 5Yr/60Mile Powertrain warranty? I don't have extended warranty and from warranty manual included with car it looked like it was only included in the 3/36 piece of one of the emission warranties. From symptoms described here I am fairly confident on need a replacement on my '02. No CEL but most noticeably in the 2-3K range with lots of hesitation.

Thanks!
No it is not covered under the 5yr/60. I was at 59,700 when I attempted to get this covered and was told it had to be under the 3yr/36 to be covered.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:58 PM

On The Money !!!

Thanks to all you guys with this and other MAF threads, I got mine from Dave B b/c I was experiencing the EXACT same problems with power loss at 3500 rpm, rough cold idle and stalls in gear. Popped it in last night.

NEW CAR. Friggin' sweet fix !! I didn't replace the tube either, it took like 2 minutes.

Cheers to having our cars back !!

ted
Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
A swift Bimmer driver

Same situation with my '02 Max...
Im dropping it off at the dealer Wednesday...

Mine acts as follows. I really feel it is MAF but wondering if coils and/or faulty O2 sensors could be also causing issue. The though of defective knock sensor and/or crank sensor also rings in my ears.

-never gives me a CEL

-idles perfectly

-No cold start issues

-can perform with awesome performance some days and average on others

-Seems to have a 2-3K hesitation at times usually. I notice this most after car has first warmed up from cold start. Say I climb a fairly agressive grade from a stoplight at the bottom of a hill. I will usually notice the hesitation/stumble the worst in this scenario. If I really get into gas from a start and RPMs get above the 3K then don't usually notice it. If gradual acceleration into this RPM range then high incidence of this behavior.

-Only occasionally see it in flat road freeway onramp situations.

-Looks like my gas mileage has increased lately but probably due to gas formulation changes.

-I've changed the air filter many times and only use Chevron Super

-See different behavior on same tank of gas so can't be bad gas.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by EastSideMaxima
Same situation with my '02 Max...
Im dropping it off at the dealer Wednesday...
I will predict the future.................................."Were sorry sir but we cant replicate the problems your experienceing. Now bend over & take it it up your *** bone dry with there diagnostic fee" THE DEALER SUCKS!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:07 AM
A swift Bimmer driver

Originally Posted by Kevon1
I will predict the future.................................."Were sorry sir but we cant replicate the problems your experienceing. Now bend over & take it it up your *** bone dry with there diagnostic fee" THE DEALER SUCKS!!!
Hey man
You were right about not being able to replicate the problem.
But they didnt charge me a penny... the Service Advisor is cool with me and hooked me up...needless to say it doesnt do it again! weird! Oh well.. im happy now.. haha
Manoj
Old 04-29-2006, 11:08 AM

hey folks, i'm new, i dont know much about my car yet.
so whats a MAF? where its located? thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM

You aren't lying. You really are new. 1 post huh. Ok, since I'm a nice guy, I won't flame, but you might want to search a little before posting.

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is the sensor between the air filter housing and the throttle body.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 PM

Dave B

Dave B
His number is 888-254-6060
Old 04-29-2006, 09:59 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by 75jihyun
Dave B
His number is 888-254-6060
Ok... and.............
Old 04-30-2006, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
You aren't lying. You really are new. 1 post huh. Ok, since I'm a nice guy, I won't flame, but you might want to search a little before posting.

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is the sensor between the air filter housing and the throttle body.
it sounded familiar but i couldnt recall.
it reminds me when i installed an intake on my ex-lancer.
now i remember, thx dude
Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 PM

I've been reading about the MAF fix on the board for probably 2 years now. Add me to the list of people that should have replaced the MAF long ago. I just replaced it last Friday and what a difference. The car pins me to my seat when I step on it. No more stalling in park or neutral. No more stalling when revving the engine in park. Who would have thought an $85 part could make so much of a difference? Car drives better than ever!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 PM

Hey stilly1181 I have an 01 max that I am going to replace also. Did you get your maf from Dave B. I think he is the lowest in price. The question I had was...Did you just plug and play with your maf. Did you disconnect the battery so the ecu recognizes the new maf? I see various ways so your car recognizes your maf and am confused on the correct way to do this...Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by paulpearl
Hey stilly1181 I have an 01 max that I am going to replace also. Did you get your maf from Dave B. I think he is the lowest in price.
$88.40 shipped @ www.nissanparts.cc
Old 05-04-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by paulpearl
Hey stilly1181 I have an 01 max that I am going to replace also. Did you get your maf from Dave B. I think he is the lowest in price. The question I had was...Did you just plug and play with your maf. Did you disconnect the battery so the ecu recognizes the new maf? I see various ways so your car recognizes your maf and am confused on the correct way to do this...Thanks

I bought mine from courtesyparts.com. There's a few places where you can get it for between $85-$99 (including Dave B.) I had my mechanic put in the MAF simply because I was having some other work done at the time. From what I've read on here, it's a piece of cake to swap out and I don't think you necessarily need to unplug your battery. It couldn't hurt though. I think your car will recognize the new MAF based on the fact that it's new...and works.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:59 AM

Mine acts as follows. I really feel it is MAF but wondering if coils and/or faulty O2 sensors could be also causing issue. The though of defective knock sensor and/or crank sensor also rings in my ears.

-never gives me a CEL

-idles perfectly

-No cold start issues

-can perform with awesome performance some days and average on others

-Seems to have a 2-3K hesitation at times usually. I notice this most after car has first warmed up from cold start. Say I climb a fairly agressive grade from a stoplight at the bottom of a hill. I will usually notice the hesitation/stumble the worst in this scenario. If I really get into gas from a start and RPMs get above the 3K then don't usually notice it. If gradual acceleration into this RPM range then high incidence of this behavior.

-Only occasionally see it in flat road freeway onramp situations.

-Looks like my gas mileage has increased lately but probably due to gas formulation changes.

-I've changed the air filter many times and only use Chevron Super

-See different behavior on same tank of gas so can't be bad gas.

Thanks!
Mine does the samething to the "T" Did they mention doing anything
Old 05-05-2006, 11:58 PM

MY CAR IS BACK TO LIFE!!! new maf as of today... and shes back to how i remembered her... lets see how long it lasts...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF Replaced

I had replaced my MAF couple of weeks back, the car came alive right away. SES light disappeared, and no cold start issue.
However, the light is back on after a few 100 miles and i think i have started to see the same problems come back again...any clues ?
I did not unplug my battery to reset the ecu etc. should I try it?
I have replaced all my ignition coils, I think next items on the list should be 02 sensors....
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Its a 2k GLE
Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM

replaced the MAF on mk 2k2 and it feels like new!! it shifts faster has way more ***** and doesnt stall on warm start ups!! in total cost me 776CAD to get the MAF, installed and reprogrammed, i got the newer version 22680-am600 which are suppose to last longer. i almsot took it up the *** but the dealer covered it
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by crazixpaki
I had replaced my MAF couple of weeks back, the car came alive right away. SES light disappeared, and no cold start issue.
However, the light is back on after a few 100 miles and i think i have started to see the same problems come back again...any clues ?
I did not unplug my battery to reset the ecu etc. should I try it?
I have replaced all my ignition coils, I think next items on the list should be 02 sensors....
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Its a 2k GLE
It's free to reset the ecu so why wouldn't you try it?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:02 PM

have had the car from 38k to roughly 63k..... replaced maf after i got new tires (avid v4s) i can actually chirp them in 1st after maf replaced which i could not do before...

it gave me power i forgot i had
Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 PM

Got a new MAF and replaced it... Its faster... but still not fast as I would like it... anyone have any other suggestions? im pretty sure maximas should be faster than this... lol
Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are there more than one MAF for the 2000 model? If not, is the MAF located around the air filter?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 AM

There is only one MAF on a 2000 Maxima. It is cylindrical, black, and inline with the intake pipe before the throttle body. It is basically between the intake filter/box and the throttle body.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 AM

I think I'm having the MAF problem everyone is talking about. Upon the recommendation of a co-worker, I tried www.rockauto.com. They have 22680-2Y001 for $54 + $40 refundable core charge + $6.66 for shipping. You would also have to pay shipping to return the core. What do you guys think?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM
SDR
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxVice4
Got a new MAF and replaced it... Its faster... but still not fast as I would like it... anyone have any other suggestions? im pretty sure maximas should be faster than this... lol
Do a search for the VIAS fix, you probably have the same problem. I fixed mine and it made a big difference.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM

HELP!! maf problems

I have a 2000 Maxima (auto) and about 3 months ago, I was having problems with my maf and getting the code P0100. I replaced it and less than a week later, I started having the same symptons of a bad maf. A week later, the ses came on with the same P0100 code. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I then thoroughly cleaned out the airbox and replaced the air filter. I then replaced the maf again. It ran great for about a week. And then the problems started again. My ses came on again with the code P0100 about 3 days ago.

I am totally frustrated with these problems. I must add that whenever my maf fails (won't rev over 2500RPMs), I can restart my car and it will run perfect for a couple of days before it happens again.

Also, it stalls all the time, like 5-10 times a day, mainly when I put my car in reverse and slow down to stop.

So far, I have checked all fuses and tested the maf sensor as per the writeup in this forum and everything checks. The only other thing that I can think of is the possibility of a short or a wire grounding out.

If anyone could help out with any suggestions, please do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 AM

Can anyone help me out?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Willing to learn

How about the ECU reprogram?

Did you try that yet?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Theindigo88

Originally Posted by MaxVice4
Nitrous ?

Turbo ?

Flux Capacitor ?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
How about the ECU reprogram?

Did you try that yet?
No, I haven't tried that yet, but I read that it does not fix drivablity problems. I did reset the ECU 3 or 4 times. Each time the car would run nice for a day or two, and then the problems will start again. I also cleaned out the throttle body, which seemed to improve my idle, but that's about it.

Could these problems be related to a dirty or malfunctioning IAC valve?

If anyone else has gone through the problems that I am having and solved it, please reply. I really like my car, but I will not put any money towards it(mods) until I can get this fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Willing to learn

I am a Nissan tech. I read the instructions that come in the box with the new MAF sensor.

It says reprogram the ECU. So until you have done that, you will never know if it works.

Disconnecting the battery is resetting the ECU, but it is not reprogramming it. When it is powered back up, it sees a new MAF that it does not recognize.

Also, several new versions of the ECU update have been issue over the last few years. Get the latest one.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 AM

is the ECU update a free service provided by Nissan dealerships?
what improvements are typical of these ECU updates?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Willing to learn

The updates are typically not free. They are occasionally required when replacing a failed emissions related component. They could be covered under warranty under certain circumstances.

Quick Reply: MAF replaced, feels like new!