5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: yes or no.
get them
27.08%
dont get them, cheasy
72.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

MAF replaced, feels like new!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Guys, what'd it cost to get it replaced at the stealership typically? Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DukeN
Guys, what'd it cost to get it replaced at the stealership typically? Thanks
The stealership wanted >$600 to do mine. They quoted $500 for just the part. I told them that was outrageous and I did it myself.
I am almost certain now that were giving me the price for the MAF that goes on the 5.5 gen which is different from the 5th gens. It has a thermister or something that makes it a lot more expensive.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:59 PM
A swift Bimmer driver

Originally Posted by jkayca
The stealership wanted >$600 to do mine. They quoted $500 for just the part. I told them that was outrageous and I did it myself.
I am almost certain now that were giving me the price for the MAF that goes on the 5.5 gen which is different from the 5th gens. It has a thermister or something that makes it a lot more expensive.

same price quoted here, but my aftermarket warranty kicked in and helped me! phew!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:15 PM

okay well i took back the mas I bought, and had the place order me a new one, cause the replacement was worse then my orginal one, well I got it in and after 2 weeks of never messing with it I just now installed the replacement for the replacement mas, and took it around the block, all I have to say is OMG that cars never pulled that hard even when it was brand new. I actually wasn't expecting anything like that. it peeled the tires for about 3 houses down. and it's also not burning as much gas now and even the cel has gone away.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced the MAF and rear O2 sensor myself....easy to do. Need to get the ECM reprogrammed. Will the ECM reprogram be covered under the 80k emissions warranty?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dave B

I have a 2000 SE a/t. Recently had the coils replaced at 75k, and thought that would take care of the power dip between 1st and second plus the annoying hard shift into second but it didnt. Im convinced now it is the maf, right? Anyways is Dave B still around?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dj Faze
I have a 2000 SE a/t. Recently had the coils replaced at 75k, and thought that would take care of the power dip between 1st and second plus the annoying hard shift into second but it didnt. Im convinced now it is the maf, right? Anyways is Dave B still around?
no

he died a horrible slow death while working under the hood of a 2001 maxima

the car impaled him

it is a good thing that you asked if he was still around instead of just calling his former # which is provided back on post #38
Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so........ damn!!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dj Faze
Actually he is. I just spoke about a MAF with a different Dave B (Barron not Burnette, but they work at the same dealer in Texas). # is in 5th gen parts list sticky, but I'll save you the time. 888-254-6060 or 512-444-1400.

I have the P0171 code and probably needlessly replaced an O2 sensor at the suggestion of Autozone when they pulled the code for my wife. Probably not a bad thing, but sucks to needlessly toss money. Thought I could talk them into a deal on the MAF, but their list was 244, HA nevermind. Hopefully this will solve my issues as power is down and there is surging at startup.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know how much it will cost to have the ECM reprogrammed after replacing the O2 sensor and MAF?

Would this be out of pocket or would it be covered under the 80k emissions warranty? The TSB on the O2 sensor replacement said this needs to be done so not sure if that would have and pull over whether it was covered under the 80k warranty or not.

Anyone know????
Old 08-09-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Max00Mark
Does anyone know how much it will cost to have the ECM reprogrammed after replacing the O2 sensor and MAF?

Would this be out of pocket or would it be covered under the 80k emissions warranty? The TSB on the O2 sensor replacement said this needs to be done so not sure if that would have and pull over whether it was covered under the 80k warranty or not.

Anyone know????
Probably cost around $60. AFAIK it isn't covered under the emission warranty.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

do i have to have the throttle body cleaned when getting the MAF replaced? or is maf replacement sufficient?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TheVQ35
do i have to have the throttle body cleaned when getting the MAF replaced? or is maf replacement sufficient?
Everything after my air filter looked really clean. Unless you have idle issues or something, I don't see why you would need to worry about the throttle body. Granted it wouldn't hurt either.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:54 PM

This afternoon I replace the MAF on my cousin 2K max. I knew it would make a difference but not that much. His car simply feel alive again, I also didn't had to erase the CEL it just went out by itself. I dont know if that make a difference but I unplug the battery before replacing the maf. I ordered the MAF from Courtesy Nissan, it was only 109$. The local dealer was asking 394$ for the MAF, what a rip off.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:56 AM

I get mine on Friday 8-18-06 and I cant wait - its doing exacly what the beginning of this thread specified. Im getting mine from Courtesy Nissan and paying $109.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 AM

I'm really contemplating on doing this as well.. i have a good freind that works as the parts guy where i live in Virginia.. I dont know if you guys are familiar with Tysons Corner in Virginia. But he said he could hook me up with it for 89 bucks... I think i'mma do this and have my timing advanced as well.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick question...I was just replacing the MAF sensor on my 01 and noticed that my old one only had 4 connector pins, but the new one has 5. I know I ordered the correct part (22680-2Y001), and just wanted to make sure that there is not an issue with this difference before I reconnect everything and take it out for a drive. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Just another happy customer after I Gateway Nissan (local) installed my MAF. 2001 Max GXE happy customer now!

On a cold start my car would hesitate when it gave it a lot of gas for the first 5 seconds then just 'wake up'. New MAF fixed that.

22680-2Y001 + Labor + Reset the computer + Updated ECU + Checked for TSA, recalls etc = $250ish - Knowing a guy in service because I work at Enterprise Rent-a-car = $201.**

Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

have MAF on my max replaced. does feel like new the moment on initiate test drive after the part swap. Order the MAF from DaveB for only $93 with shipping. Well, i got my friend to do the swap for it, so labor for free. $93 well spent on regaining all the power.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DTuss6
Quick question...I was just replacing the MAF sensor on my 01 and noticed that my old one only had 4 connector pins, but the new one has 5. I know I ordered the correct part (22680-2Y001), and just wanted to make sure that there is not an issue with this difference before I reconnect everything and take it out for a drive. Thanks!
I'd like to know this too...I'm just about to replace my '02 MAF with this part and I think my connector only has 4 pins also. I saw another post saying that it was better to just replace the sensor instead of the entire assembly, is that the right way to go here?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:20 PM

My 2k Maxima ive had for about 2 months now has already needed the starter replaced (thankfully the dealer paid my extended warranty deductible) and now its having security system problems where it wont start the first time I put the key in all the time and I have to take the key out, lock and unlock, wait for the security light to blink, and then start it up. Im taking her back in this week to see what they can do about that.

But I was wondering how long do these MAF sensors usually last? My car has almost 109k and I have no idea when/if the sensor has been changed recently, and though it was always serviced at the dealer I got it from, im not sure theyd have a record in their system about it or not. But, I do feel like my car gets held back sometimes when im going along at like 25-35 and get on it to pick up speed as though somethings keeping it from going fast, but if I flat out hammer it like 3/4 WOT or more then it goes. It usually takes off from the line fine too, but sometimes theres hesitation and this held back feeling from there too. Ive also noticed what seems to be a drop in MPG in the last two tanks after getting 19 normally and then 23-25 on 2 road trips. With my normal driving by the time the marker hits 3/4 tank left I usually have around 80-90 miles if not more, but these last two tanks have been much lower with this one being around 60. Can the MAF affect this?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
John
Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bkucera
I'd like to know this too...I'm just about to replace my '02 MAF with this part and I think my connector only has 4 pins also. I saw another post saying that it was better to just replace the sensor instead of the entire assembly, is that the right way to go here?
Replace the whole unit as one. For the '02, you will need to swap the IAT from your old sensor to the new unit.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Replace the whole unit as one. For the '02, you will need to swap the IAT from your old sensor to the new unit.
Why is replacing the whole unit better? It's definitely a lot more work...I replaced just the sensor tonight with the 2k1 sensor, and I did move the IAT over. After I did that the SES light was on with codes P0102 and P0113. So I reset the ECU using that timed pedal-pushing procedure and now the light's off. Engine feels great, low-end torque's back to where it was when I bought the car. Sunroof won't open though, that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully the memory reset procedure I just read about will fix that.

I was thinking about taking it to the dealer after the ECU is done learning for a "post-op" visit, would that be worthwhile assuming the SES light doesn't turn on between now and then?

Also what about ECU reprogramming? The part came with a sheet that says the ECU needs to be reprogrammed, but it's assuming I'm putting this in a 2001 Maxima. If I should reprogram the ECU, what do I tell them to program it with? I've seen posts saying you should reprogram it, but no mention of what or how, and other posts saying it's not necessary when you use the 2k1 part.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bkucera
Why is replacing the whole unit better? It's definitely a lot more work...I replaced just the sensor tonight with the 2k1 sensor, and I did move the IAT over. .
Necessary? Guess not.

Nissan recommends it just in case the casing has any contaminants left in it or on the screen and they were not cleaned out. Dirt and oils left over could re-attach themselves to the new MAF sensor once reinstalled.

Replacing whole unit prevents this.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Not User Friendly!

I replaced mine last month. It went bad after 6 month of just sitting in the garage during my Iraq deployment. Came back and the car drove like s**t.
Car feels like new now. Is only $107 at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com
Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

Originally Posted by Memphis2k1
Just another happy customer after I Gateway Nissan (local) installed my MAF. 2001 Max GXE happy customer now!

On a cold start my car would hesitate when it gave it a lot of gas for the first 5 seconds then just 'wake up'. New MAF fixed that.

22680-2Y001 + Labor + Reset the computer + Updated ECU + Checked for TSA, recalls etc = $250ish - Knowing a guy in service because I work at Enterprise Rent-a-car = $201.**

I have that exact problem.. not sure I want to spend a hundred bucks to get it fixed though.. notice any other difference?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
I have that exact problem.. not sure I want to spend a hundred bucks to get it fixed though.. notice any other difference?
So does mine. I have a 2k Se w/auto that has been driving like crap. Had all three O2 sensors swapped out along with the plugs, throttle body cleaned, supposed new MAF, and new coils a week ago. It still stalls every morning. I have to ride the gas in park to warm it up a bit before it will stay on. After the engine gets warm it stays on but still drives terribly. It seems as if it takes longer to shift out of 1st. It also will run up to 5k rpm and sometimes past that instead of shifting smoothly at 3k. Check engine light is on and off intermittently and giving off codes 0171, and 0174.

I say supposed new MAF cause looking at the physical part itself, it doesn't look new. I think the mechanic screwed me.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM

Just replaced my MAF today!

All I can say is............... what a difference!! I've been noticing a gradual decrease in performance, especially at 2500-4000rpm in the last few months. It just felt like the car was fighting itself to go faster. Well, that's all changed now!! I replaced the MAF today (very easily done thanks to having the Place Racing CAI), left the battery disconnected for 4 hours, and the first time I took it out for a test drive, the car just felt alive again!! No more hesitation, no more stumbling thru the RPM's, my Maxima now just wants to scream to red line when I punch it!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:55 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

Someone should sue the company that makes the MAF... what mechanical blunder that part turned out to be..
Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 AM

My 2K Max has been pinging for months now, even on premium gas. Putting in a bottle of Octane Boost really helps for about one tank, then it's back to normal. The pinging usually goes away after the car warms up but it can be pretty bad.

I've gotten no MAF codes (I have a code reader). But when I go on a road trip, it seems that I get O2 codes (P138, P158 - bank 1 and bank 2) just about every time, after hours at high speeds. But not driving around town, and the ECU will clear the codes after a couple of days if I do nothing.

My new mechanic, who isn't an expert on Nissans, put the car on his computer and says the O2 sensors and the knock sensor seem to be functioning properly. He says he doubts the O2 sensors are really the problem because they wouldn't both fail at the same time. Is there a chance the MAF is really the problem? Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ahallmaxima
My 2K Max has been pinging for months now, even on premium gas. Putting in a bottle of Octane Boost really helps for about one tank, then it's back to normal. The pinging usually goes away after the car warms up but it can be pretty bad.

I've gotten no MAF codes (I have a code reader). But when I go on a road trip, it seems that I get O2 codes (P138, P158 - bank 1 and bank 2) just about every time, after hours at high speeds. But not driving around town, and the ECU will clear the codes after a couple of days if I do nothing.

My new mechanic, who isn't an expert on Nissans, put the car on his computer and says the O2 sensors and the knock sensor seem to be functioning properly. He says he doubts the O2 sensors are really the problem because they wouldn't both fail at the same time. Is there a chance the MAF is really the problem? Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone?
My 2k2 used to do the same thing with regards to the O2 sensors. I just replaced the MAF (with the 2k1 part) and I'll be going on a road trip in a week, I'll report back with whether or not I get an O2 code.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:20 PM

MAF replaced

I went ahead and replaced the MAF on my 2k. Left the battery disconnected just to reset the ECU. I will update on results tomorrow. All I can say is that the car has been really lacking in power. Everything else is new...ignition coils, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, etc... so hopefully this is the key.

Update... Finally got to drive the car after the install. It definitely "wakes up" after the install. I am still debating the reprogramming. I will see but this is one update worth the money.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 PM

Yes, let me know if the new MAF seems to have eliminated getting your O2 CEL readings. I took my 2K Max on a little road trip yesterday, about 330 miles round trip. I got the pair of O2 codes (133/153 - sensor 1 and 2) twice on this trip and once last week on another road trip. Always together. The car does seem to have less power than it did when I first got it, and it pings sometimes for a few miles after I start it (not always from a cold start - sometimes it's the third time in a few hours I've run the car and then it's pinging like crazy again, for a while). But I never seem to get the O2 codes even while driving around in city driving, just while out on the freeway for a few hours at 70Mph.

I'm relucant to take it to a Nissan Dealer for fear of having my wallet raped. My local mechanic doesn't seem to know much about Nissans - he told me I should first change the spark plugs (car has 78K miles) and didn't believe me when I told him Nissan claims the plugs are good for 100K miles (I should have shown him the owner's manual). No one here who has replaced plugs earlier has claimed any improvement with these types of issues, have they? I haven't seen that in my reading. The one thing that seems to help consistently based on my reading here is replacing the MAF.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

recently replaced my MAF, no I have a P0420 code

A couple of months ago my 01 maxima started to get all the typical symptoms of a bad MAF, then one day it just died. Thanks to this forum I discovered the MAF problem and quickly replaced it myself. The car ran like it was brand new after that.

Several weeks agao the CEL came back on, code PO420. The code seems to indicate a problem with the cat or the rear O2 sensor. Any chance this could somehow be related to the replacement of the MAF. Do I need to have the computer reprogrammed? I don't think the cat is bad, there is no smell and my gas milage has been amazing latly.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. For some reasom I cannot search the forums or start a new thread.

Tim
Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 AM

It is highly unlikely the new MAF is causing your current problems. The cat and 02 sensors are on the exhaust side while the MAF is on the intake. For simply replacing the MAF you don't need to reprogram the ECU but I think a reprogramming is needed if replacing one or more of the 02 sensors.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ahallmaxima
Yes, let me know if the new MAF seems to have eliminated getting your O2 CEL readings. I took my 2K Max on a little road trip yesterday, about 330 miles round trip. I got the pair of O2 codes (133/153 - sensor 1 and 2) twice on this trip and once last week on another road trip. Always together. The car does seem to have less power than it did when I first got it, and it pings sometimes for a few miles after I start it (not always from a cold start - sometimes it's the third time in a few hours I've run the car and then it's pinging like crazy again, for a while). But I never seem to get the O2 codes even while driving around in city driving, just while out on the freeway for a few hours at 70Mph.

I'm relucant to take it to a Nissan Dealer for fear of having my wallet raped. My local mechanic doesn't seem to know much about Nissans - he told me I should first change the spark plugs (car has 78K miles) and didn't believe me when I told him Nissan claims the plugs are good for 100K miles (I should have shown him the owner's manual). No one here who has replaced plugs earlier has claimed any improvement with these types of issues, have they? I haven't seen that in my reading. The one thing that seems to help consistently based on my reading here is replacing the MAF.
After driving to Colorado Springs and back (from Albuquerque, about 700 miles round trip) I didn't get the O2 CEL I've gotten the last few times I took a road trip, before installing the new MAF. Can't say conclusively that the new MAF did the trick, but it certainly seems like it. Got good gas mileage too, 30 on the way up going mostly 75 mph, and probably 31-32 on the way back.

Now that I've driven several hundred miles after replacing the MAF, it feels like I've lost some midrange power. Low end feels better than before though. Anyone else with a 2k2 or 2k3 who used a 2k1 MAF (and swapped the thermister) experience this?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'Sup folks! I have a '00 SE and I experienced a slight hesitation in power when going down the interstate the other day and my SE light came on. I have 89,000 miles on the engine. Is this probably the MAF sensor? Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Any way to find out before I get some diagnostics run on it? Just don't want to get taken to the cleaners and I'm not exactly super rich in any way. Thanks in advance...RetroKing
Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RetroKing
'Sup folks! I have a '00 SE and I experienced a slight hesitation in power when going down the interstate the other day and my SE light came on. I have 89,000 miles on the engine. Is this probably the MAF sensor? Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Any way to find out before I get some diagnostics run on it? Just don't want to get taken to the cleaners and I'm not exactly super rich in any way. Thanks in advance...RetroKing
Go to your local Autozone and get the codes pulled. When you have them post back and we maybe able to answer your question. Without the codes it could be almost anything.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks...

Thanks for the tip, mate! There's an AutoZone not even a mile from my house. I'll head over there today or tomorrow and re-post with the codes.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM

Congrats. I think my 00 GLE has the same exact issue as this.

Where did you get your MAF sensor for and what'd it cost ya? (I'm in Canada as well). Would appreciate it if you could provide a link and/or part number, thanks.

Also, how much would the stealership charge to do the labor?

Originally Posted by Teflon
Oh my god! I just replaced my MAF tonight and took my 2000 GLE for a spin afterwards. The beast feels like I put a brand spanking new engine in there.

I don't think I've ever experienced as much power from my engine in the entire time I've owned it -- so I've probably had a slowly dying MAF for over 2 years.

The following symptoms and problems are now gone:

first syptom, 2 years old:
- momentary "stutter" after putting car in drive and giving it a bit of load after a cold start (as if it skipped a beat)

started a bit later on:
- brief dip in power/acceleration at 3500 rpm

didn't notice it until the MAF was replaced:
- sluggish response

more recent problems, as the MAF got worse:
- surging, stuttering, stalling
- intermittent P0171, P0172 codes
- rough idle
- variation in engine power and performance at constant speed
- requires "babysitting" after cold start to convince the ECU not to stall out
- ODBII reported fuel trim >= 8-10% on both banks at idle, with occasional long term trim at 25%+.

My ECU reprogram is scheduled for tuesday morning. I realize I don't require the reprogram, but I presume there's new fuel maps for the updated sensor, which will only help power and fuel economy.

Short term and long term fuel trim are now both at -8 to -10%! That's quite the change from before. My air filter wasn't even particularly dirty when I replaced the MAF.

Thanks Dave B! You were dead on about it being the MAF. PS - Fedex got it here this morning, in one piece. They're even sending the GST/PST (taxes) bill seperately which means it didn't get delayed at Canadian customs.

YAY!

Quick Reply: MAF replaced, feels like new!