5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Reactions to the VB and TC from levelten!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 07:19 PM

Reactions to the VB and TC from levelten!!!!!!!!

i finally got my car back today after two weeks of waiting and all i can say is DAMN it was worth it!!! the stall speed on the TC @ 3100 rpms is BAD AS S-H-I-T no loss of drivability what so ever wish i would have gone higher.... the launches really put u in your seat and when the tranny shifts it puts u back in the seat and carrys the power smooth..... it is the best way to make your auto feel and be alot faster...... the car accually lays massive drag comming off the line!!! i love it and cant get enough of it... i wish there was a track open this weekend so i could get some times in but i think that tehy r all closed! for all u autos out there VB and TC are a good mod to make ur car GO..... and like i said with the stall speed of 3100 rpms i lost no drivability...... just gained alot of fun!!
Old 11-06-2001, 07:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Reactions to the VB and TC from levelten!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the mods. How much did you pay for the two? I sent an email to MobileTek in Houston to schedule the VB mod for my auto 2K, but never received a reply. They charge $450 for their mod.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:50 PM

hey will...you hit 3k from a dead stop?
Old 11-06-2001, 07:53 PM

i paid 499 for the modification of my TC (or 599 for a new TC and modification) since they for some reason didnt havce the right TC for the max but they do and i paid 498 for the VB.... it is suposed to be 698 but the screwed up on some stuff so they gave me a break on the VB but it was well worth it! install was a damn killing though..... but u pay what you get for and with the transmission i wouldnt want to take any chances so i had it done right for a little bit more money! i would go with DON in texas (mobiletek) for the money i just did the levelten vb bc it was a great price!
Old 11-06-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a
hey will...you hit 3k from a dead stop?
yes i hit 3100 rpms almost 3200 rpms from a dead stop torque braking it.... but if i floor it with out using the brake it will go to 2900 maybe 3000...... i havent had time to figure out the best launch for it yet i have only had it for about 5 hours now but i will play around and see how it acts at different launch styles! and the ECU got reset so the car isnt used to me like it was...... it will learn really soon!
Old 11-06-2001, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

VB & TC shop in CANADA?

N-e-one knows shops that can do these mods in Canada....or close to the border?
Old 11-06-2001, 08:07 PM

Re: VB & TC shop in CANADA?

Originally posted by Kool-Aid77
N-e-one knows shops that can do these mods in Canada....or close to the border?
any tranny shop can do the install but u have to send your TC and VB to levelten located in New Jersey.... might be worth the drive if u are close! dont know how much they charge for install go to www.levelten.com get the number and call them and ask questions.... talk to Justin and say Will with the maxima sent u...... good luck!!!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:20 AM
Very sound, Mike

Forgive my ignorance. But does stall speed mean when your car is stopped your rpm stays at 3100 rpm instead of the usual 500 rpm? If so, wouldn't that be a gas guzzler?

Or does stall speed mean the amount of rpm you can do torque braking before you start screwing up your tranny?

Thanks.

- Mike
Old 11-07-2001, 12:21 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Reactions to the VB and TC from levelten!!!!!!!!

Btw, i need to ask you this...

i've noticed on the auto max when the gears change i feel a slight hesitation between shifts (Even when manually shifting the auto) and that jerking feeling everytime it does that ... perhaps a side effect of the sudden decrease of rpm in-between shifts.

do you still feel that after the TC/VB upgrade?

Thanks.

Originally posted by WILLSE
i finally got my car back today after two weeks of waiting and all i can say is DAMN it was worth it!!! the stall speed on the TC @ 3100 rpms is BAD AS S-H-I-T no loss of drivability what so ever wish i would have gone higher.... the launches really put u in your seat and when the tranny shifts it puts u back in the seat and carrys the power smooth..... it is the best way to make your auto feel and be alot faster...... the car accually lays massive drag comming off the line!!! i love it and cant get enough of it... i wish there was a track open this weekend so i could get some times in but i think that tehy r all closed! for all u autos out there VB and TC are a good mod to make ur car GO..... and like i said with the stall speed of 3100 rpms i lost no drivability...... just gained alot of fun!!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Forgive my ignorance. But does stall speed mean when your car is stopped your rpm stays at 3100 rpm instead of the usual 500 rpm? If so, wouldn't that be a gas guzzler?

Or does stall speed mean the amount of rpm you can do torque braking before you start screwing up your tranny?

Thanks.

- Mike
That means it will "stall" until it hits 3100 RPMS and then the tranny will kick into gear.
And, it makes your car launch. Kinda like reving the engine and popping the clutch, only with an auto mod.

ADMAN
Old 11-07-2001, 01:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

Now i'm even more confused.

So, say from a stop if i press on the accelerator the car won't start moving until i hit 3100 rpm's?

Originally posted by adman

That means it will "stall" until it hits 3100 RPMS and then the tranny will kick into gear.
And, it makes your car launch. Kinda like reving the engine and popping the clutch, only with an auto mod.

ADMAN
Old 11-07-2001, 04:42 AM
Got Bent?

cool stuff

the stall speed is when the input turbine on the TC and output turbine on the TC are hydraulically locked. Below this rpm, there is poor hydraulic coupling and the TC slips.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:37 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hogan... are you going to get strengthened driveshafts too? I know I want to get them before a TC.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:06 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Hogan... are you going to get strengthened driveshafts too? I know I want to get them before a TC.

so you going to stick with us in the automagical world?
Old 11-07-2001, 07:13 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

off course...easy to drive in NYC traffic...Dark Matter I've had thoughts, but not willing to spend another 3000 in a L10 tranny w/ driveshafts. One Lap will remain stick, since its pretty much a grassroots type deal, just raw power in the straights and in the corners

-Peace

hehehe... several reasons for people to FEAR AUTOMAGICS
Old 11-07-2001, 07:25 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

so you going to stick with us in the automagical world?
Need some stronger driveshafts.

Thanks for the info, Hogan.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:32 AM
Got Bent?

is anyone manufacturing strengthened driveshafts?
Old 11-07-2001, 07:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

At least you don't pound on your car like I do, you probably do, I just don't know about it. LoL.
I don't know how many times I broke my old 4th gens driveshafts...they sucked donkey nutz.
5th Gen ones are ok, so far, and I pounded on Dark Matter twice, but IMPUL Sent me new drive shafts, so I don't know how "strong" they are compared to the stock ones.

-Peace
I pound on it daily. I usually try not to do so from a dead stop... but sometimes I can't help myself.

Hmmmm..... you think you can get hookups on stronger DS? That would be really sweet, especially for higher hp Maxes.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I'll ask and find out if someone is willing to make a few units, I'll send IMPUL an email to see if they could make another one for A32 and A33 cars, but A33 will be for AutoMatic, and A32 will be for 5spd.

-Peace
Hehehe A33 non-LSD.

Old 11-07-2001, 08:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

LoL...I'll know by 9pm EST 6pm PST.

-Peace
Thanks!

Here's a gift...
Old 11-07-2001, 08:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Is that what jane does to you or you do to jane ?

No.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is there any benefit if I get a Performance Transmission Kit from Level Ten? It's sort of a rebuild kit for the auto tranny. You auto guys should know what I'm talking about. Would getting that kit improve in performance or is it just there for protection of the tranny? I want the auto tranny to perform better, the VB isn't enough.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:07 AM

im definitely looking into the VB mod. dunno bout the torque converter though...need some more dough. think there'll be a big difference in just installing the VB and not the TC? wont hurt anything rite? i just emailed levelten cause i live in ny..i wanna get it done there in nj. and of course theyre kinda biased..so im askin u guys
Old 11-07-2001, 09:25 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Another Q for you Hogan... any chance you'll be selling the IC piping only (after SC to IC and after IC to TB)?
Old 11-07-2001, 09:42 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Yeah no problem. The stage 3 "Race" kit that includes the intercooler is made one at a time, it requires 2 weeks, BTW what size is the IC you are looking for ? I need L X W x D...and brief description on how it will be mounted.
Can you do it now if I asked you to? The deal I had on the Volks fell through, so

I'll give you the L X W X D of the IC if you are willing to make the piping.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:01 AM

I did see decreases in 1/4mi times w/ full stage 3 rebuild on N/A car and on S/C'd car gives insurance that tranny can handle it, however with the change comes the driveshaft dilema, CV joints are prone to break given you drive hard, and with a S/C, its even more likely.
Even a VB and TC mod will drop your times, once you break in your tranny, which means easy driving, and no WOT action for first 500 mi.
Is it worth it ? if you have the funds to do it, yes.
TC is worth looking into if you have the VB done already, that may be all you really need, unless you are running almost 1.0 bar of boost out of a S/C w/ FMI.

-Peace

How much a full stage 3 rebuild cost?

I might just need a TC for now. Maybe that's what I should go for. How do I figure what stall speed I would need?
Old 11-07-2001, 10:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

3" ?

and I know you have the CAI hole right ?

any preference in Material ?

hope you're not in a rush...it will be a while since I have to set up the machinery, and school be kicking mah ***.

Definitely done by mid dec at the rate I can work at.
Yeah, I have the CAI hole. Are you going to put the MAF after or before the BOV? If you're doing it after, then the MAF space will be incorporated into the piping... so I'll have to move it (which I was hoping for). If it's before, then I assume it's on the intake piping...

No rush. Is the SC outlet, on your Powerdine, in the same place as the Vortech? If not, then no biggie (just want to know first). How much is this going to cost (you can PM me the price if you don't want to list it)?

Material? What do you have? I think I'll take 2.5" for the charged piping.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

After BOV, thats not a problem.
Slightly angled forward more to get a better angle of the pipe bend down.

Material, SS, and Aluminum(like a typical intake), want red anodized or polished aluminum ?

Cost, gotta figure out what it all comes to, I'll just send it out, and let you try it out, and if there is a fitment problem, send the piece back that needs to be re-made, and then I'll charge you for it.
Sounds good! I'll take polished aluminum because it's lighter.

OooOOoOoOooo.... try before buy? I would like to announce that I won't be posting on the org after January... because uhmmmm..... I'll be on vacation.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:01 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I would like to announce that I won't be posting on the org after January... because uhmmmm..... I'll be on vacation.
you don't want Hogan to come after you now, do you?
Old 11-07-2001, 01:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

you don't want Hogan to come after you now, do you?
Uhmmmm...... vacation, I'll be back.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:00 PM

Level 10 is good.

What stall speeds are available for the Max?
Old 11-07-2001, 08:36 PM

Custom from 2500 to 3000...maybe more according to others, but I don't think its logical, even when I was N/A w/ all the bolt ons, 2500+ ends up in lots of wheel spin, which kills your 60 ft, and from the videos of when I launch, 1500rpm is more than good enough to get traction and acceleration.
1500 is usually what i launch at myself. I guess maybe i dont need a new convertor. I already have VB which is good.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:40 PM

I have the ProTorque TC. It is the same model # for both 4th and 5th gens; however, custom stall speeds should be available if you want to go that route. It stalls at around 2700-2800 and was more than enough to drop my N/A 97SE 0-60 time (G-Tech) from 7.10 to 6.59. This is with a set of 18" Katanas, mind you. Even though WILLSE says he likes the TC, I still think 3100 is too high is be of any good for a daily driver/occasional stoplight racer...but whatever floats your boat is fine, I guess...