5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Identification of this griding "creaking" noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
oh man, im not even gonna lie, lol....the dealer is going to SCREW U THE FIRST CHANCE THEY GET

But the mechanic is have is like the family mechanic, hes a friend of my dad's so i kind of get the "lookout", and he is the only one that ive let really touch my car as far as mods......SS LINES, BRAKES, Illumina's upgrade, Progress RSB, Megan racing exhaust installed
Hey Tek im in B-more on the west side, Im having the same issues wondering if your mechanic could use anymore work. Because I need my wheel bearings change desperately and I'am afraid of what the stealership will quote me.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sometimes after I turn to the lock in either direction (eg - parking lot), then straighten out and accelerate - I hear a slight grinding noise only while accelerating. The closest way to describe it is almost stalling a vehicle - too much load, not enough RPM. It only happens from time to time - I was thinking CV joints? How would I diagnose this problem?
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM

I would suspect Strut Mount Bearings. Could also be the Bearings in the HUB. If over 125k miles, I would replace both
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys sorry for the old bump.

I'm having a similar issue as the OP, but his videos are no longer available.
Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY6zfRNfoTc

new axle time? I've got an autozone one waiting to go in (*cross fingers*) but I want more assurance that the problem IS the axle/CV joint. Someone mentioned their problem going away with a new wheel bearing and it just added to my doubts.

My symptoms:
noise happens on decel, louder with brakes and pretty faint without brakes
noise gets loudest doing full-lock circle to the left
no steering wheel vibration
no brake pedal vibration
no car vibration
engine belts look good and are tight to spec
all brake hardware good and no interference/scraping between visible parts

Thanks for any input. Feel free to leave Youtube comments; I'm sure it will help some others. FWIW there aren't many videos showcasing bad CV axle symptoms while the axle's still on the car.

Last edited by tchenku; 02-10-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 AM

Tchenku, I'm having the same noise. I think it was diagnosed in post 36 as the hub assembly. Going to have mine replaced today.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Let me know if that solves it alex because i am just getting that noise with hard right turns, and let me know how much you paid if the hub assembly fixes it
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
AJ~

If it was a CV joint, it would make noise turning both right and left.

If it makes noise only when turning in one direction, look to things rubbing, and look at the wheel bearings.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 PM

I have this noise now...After changing out my Eibachs to H&R springs in the front coincidentally enough.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Finally figured out that weird squeaking/grinding noise coming from the front end

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
I get the same noise when slowing/coming to a stop - but only while going STRAIGHT. It is not brake related as it makes the sound whether I'm braking or not.

And it is speed sensitive in that the speed of the noise correlates to the speed of the vehicle. But it does not make the sound other than when coming to a stop.

Drives me batty.

I don't think it is a strut bearing - I recently replaced my struts with Tokiko and replaced all the parts.

My guess is that it will turn out to be the hub/wheel bearing. I've already had that side replaced and have an raxle - but it really is the only thing that makes sense.

However, I'm only going to fix it if the car wasn't totaled when I was rear-ended last week!

I had the same problem. Weird squeaking/grinding noise sounded like it was coming from the front left. It wasn't constant, and seemed like it was in sync with wheel rotation. Definitely wasn't brakes as I pursued that to death. The noise was only noticeable when at slower speeds. It made it while going straight or turning. And if I just barely touched the accelerator the noise would go away.

Turned out to be the hub assembly. Had it replaced and now the car is quiet and smooth.