5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installing Headers this weekend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by C-Young
Got to the last bolt attaching the y to the cat and the bolt rounded out.
that's the single reason why i took mine to a shop to have headers installed.. i tried to do it myself at first, and couldn't even get past the heat shield bolt! lol.. sorry it was a failure man, but those exhaust bolts are a b*tch.. you're no less of a man for taking it to a shop to do the work
Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM

i thought about taking the project on myself, but i changed my mind a while back lift>jack
Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM

sorry to hear man, my installer did it with no air tools and every damn nut/bolt came off and im a ny car..you will get them on and love the power....

Without the right tools to heat and cut the stud off we had nowhere to go. If you cant get the y-pipe off there's no sense in moving any further.

W...
Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 PM

^^^ still dont wanna give up the headers
Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Yeah I've heard folks do that as well. I just want to be able to plug all my O2 sensors in. Maybe I'll get an ses... Maybe not. I've heard it go either way for others. If I get an ses I'll eventually put foulers on the secondaries. I just don't wanna mess with a sim. Just my preference I guess...
That's what I was shooting for when I installed Maximo's OBX's to look factory/legal for the ignorant inspector's eye, but Maximo's headers were ceramic coated so that was then out of the question. But that was my first option to do the 90 degree relocate and then I tried the next one dpwnstream and it worked fine.... since we had extended the harness already!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Dam thats hard to believe that your mechanic didn't have a cut off wheel, die grinder, or even a hacksaw! Sorry that it didn't work out.....you should've left the car at your mechanic's garage and yall came back tomorrow and try it again and it would've worked....Sometimes it's best to take a break and calm down! I wish I was there to help you, but break out that PB Blaster and soak it down a few days b4. Be sure too bring a tap and die set along, maybe yall can drill the head off and that makes it easy to shear it off with a chisel and hammer. I've done it alot on exhaust systems with stubborn bolts and nuts, but always stay calm and don't dig yourself into a hole or open up a can of rotten worms! Don't worry C-young you'll get it!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 PM

damn sorry to hear that.. i bet you were so ready for the install.. but you live and learn.. and i bet this will help ppl in the future that are going to install it themselves.. keep us updated
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by wyche89
that's the single reason why i took mine to a shop to have headers installed.. i tried to do it myself at first, and couldn't even get past the heat shield bolt! lol.. sorry it was a failure man, but those exhaust bolts are a b*tch.. you're no less of a man for taking it to a shop to do the work
Hey... don't let my little mishap stop you guys from installing yourself. Honestly... it's not that bad. We just ran into a road block... that's all. If we coulda just got that one bolt off we would have been good to go. Just had drop the y, the front and rear manifolds, hook mine up, extend some wires, and put everything back together! We were so close...

Just take from the lesson I learned to make sure you can break all the bolts loose on the exhaust before you get started. I made the mistake in assuming that I would just be able to.

CMax03: We were actually just in my garage at the house and I needed to be able to drive the next day. I'll just get that bolt cut off and replaced and be right back under the car again!!! I have no doubt in my mind now that I can do this. Hell... I already took everything apart and put it back together once so I can do it again.

Thanks for the words of encouragement bro!

Grand_hustle17: You must be able to find someone to install for less than $900. Lucky you...

tookrzy4u192: Yeah man... live and learn. It builds character. At least that's what I keep telling myself At the end of the day I know that I WILL have these on sooner than later.

At least this way, since I'll be ordering my exhuast before next install attempt, I'll be going from stock exhaust and header to full aftermarket. I think it will be a big change!!!

Everyone: For real... don't let this failed attempt scare you off from the install. I just didn't think/plan ahead for this. REALLY... you can do it. Until this past weekend my claim to mechanic fame was installing a CAI so if I can get that far I'm sure you can as well.

Like I said I took a bunch of pics so when I DO get these installed I'll have a nice block of instruction for eveyone to view.

The mission continues...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM

On another quick note... I was thinking of getting the exhaust shop to delete my cat from the system. Just have them manufacture a straight through pipe from y-pipe to catback.

Anyone have or had experience with that? Good? Bad? Tell me about it...
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM

ok, but the car comes with them, gonna be one expensive set of headers!

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
^^^ still dont wanna give up the headers
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Good luck! Honestly, I don't see this big deal about the header install on this car, though I am used to doing it on the Probe which has the same spacing issues, so that could be why..
Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM

you car would be annoyingly loud and raspy. keep the main cat, nissan cats flow pretty good... im sure someone will contradict me though

On another quick note... I was thinking of getting the exhaust shop to delete my cat from the system. Just have them manufacture a straight through pipe from y-pipe to catback.

Anyone have or had experience with that? Good? Bad? Tell me about it...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
you car would be annoyingly loud and raspy. keep the main cat, nissan cats flow pretty good... im sure someone will contradict me though
Ugh... That's what I thought. Raspy is exactly the opposite of what I'm going for. Thanks, I'll be leaving the cat on and maybe sometime in the future do a high-flow cat.

As long as the nissan ones flow pretty decent I guess it doesn't bother me. CANNOT do raspy thats for sure!!!

I'm off topic on my own thread now... my bad.

Later, I may post the pics I took until I hit my roadblock.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Good luck! Honestly, I don't see this big deal about the header install on this car, though I am used to doing it on the Probe which has the same spacing issues, so that could be why..
It's not all that hard, just takes some time and patience...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Make sure he makes a flanged test pipe if he does.....Honestly I'd go with a WSP hi flow cat...your choice ceramic or stainless!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM

do the obx headers come with ypipe and resonator?

WTH?? ebay obx are $378
http://cgi.ebay.ca/OBX-Header-02-03-...3286.m20.l1116

and obx website is $599!!!
http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=944#

anybody know what that is about?

Last edited by nzelinsky; 08-24-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 PM

No just the shorty front manifold and the rearmanifold/ypipe assembly! Must companies have a 3 piece design but not OBX.....don't know why the pricing is like that other than to make you deal with thier wholesaler....Most companies practice that samething!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM

so is it the same basic setup as cattman?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM

There's ALWAYS something that has to go wrong when doing anything to your car that puts a smile on your face.. And it's always just ONE SMALL THING like a bolt. I've been there with springs, I know the feeling man..
Gl on the re-run! Keep us posted, I need your write up. I'm ordering mine this week
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 PM

02 spacer it to keep the codes off...did it to my hotshot headers...no codes yet...2 months later.(didnt even have to extend the 02 sensors)..any more info just p.m me...alot of people say no to this...idk whyy...and say go to the cut and splice 02 sim route...
Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 PM

this threads a little old im sure his headers are in by now.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM

My OBX headers are on their way. and im Having Second thoughts about installing them myself now. Might have a shop do it now.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quitter!!! you run into one bolt that wouldn't come off and you quit???WTF i live in wisconsin seemed like every bolt was a *****, this install took me 2 1/2 days you just gotta stick with it...cattman headers by the way...shoulda kept trying.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM

hes just waiting for his megan racing catback to get there so he can do everything at once.. not sure if he got the catback yet..
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Staticxout2
Quitter!!! you run into one bolt that wouldn't come off and you quit???WTF i live in wisconsin seemed like every bolt was a *****, this install took me 2 1/2 days you just gotta stick with it...cattman headers by the way...shoulda kept trying.
Know your facts before opening the pie hole buddy...

tookrzy4u192: good lookin out bro... you know the deal

Yeah I was waiting on my catback so that when I took it up to the shop for install I'd have all my under carriage bolts replaced at the same time. I didnt happen to have a blowtorch laying around in my garage to heat the seized bolt so I figured I'd let an exhaust shop handle it. And btw... it even took them quite a bit of work to get that one bolt off. Yeah... all the bolts were a b*** but I got them off. All except for one that was exceptionally tough. The guys at the exhuast shop took a look at it and laughed "Boy you mustve tried everything on this bolt!" It was probably about 3 or 4 socket sizes smaller than originally.

So yeah... my Megan catback came in last week and I got it installed and all the bolts underneath replaced with nice, new, fresh ones. I've got a date set up with my brother in law (tech at Chevy) to put it up on a lift at the dealership and do work on the 19th of Sept, which is a saturday.

So no... I haven't quit. Just got delayed. Sh** happens...

2 and a half days???? OMG! With Cattmans that fit absolutely perfect???You SHOULD have just quit!

Last edited by C-Young; 08-25-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Know your facts before opening the pie hole buddy...

tookrzy4u192: good lookin out bro... you know the deal

Yeah I was waiting on my catback so that when I took it up to the shop for install I'd have all my under carriage bolts replaced at the same time. I didnt happen to have a blowtorch laying around in my garage to heat the seized bolt so I figured I'd let an exhaust shop handle it. And btw... it even took them quite a bit of work to get that one bolt off. Yeah... all the bolts were a b*** but I got them off. All except for one that was exceptionally tough. The guys at the exhuast shop took a look at it and laughed "Boy you mustve tried everything on this bolt!" It was probably about 3 or 4 socket sizes smaller than originally.

So yeah... my Megan catback came in last week and I got it installed and all the bolts underneath replaced with nice, new, fresh ones. I've got a date set up with my brother in law (tech at Chevy) to put it up on a lift at the dealership and do work on the 19th of Sept, which is a saturday.

So no... I haven't quit. Just got delayed. Sh** happens...

2 and a half days???? OMG! With Cattmans that fit absolutely perfect???You SHOULD have just quit!
Did it by myself with no lift so yeah 2 and half days working on it after work with the 02 sim, Wisconsin is not friendly to cars or anyplace that regularly gets snow, but you can get all butt hurt if you want.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
ok, but the car comes with them, gonna be one expensive set of headers!