5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ebay fstb vs stillen

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Hp difference? No its not going to make the car go faster. I'm just saying btw needing a tie rod end, replacement ctrl arm bushing and carrier bearing its makes up for it a BIT when I take that 35mph loop on the freeway at 80mph. I noticed my tires stop squealing and I don't have to fight her as much to stay in the curve. It helps out with the way I take corners (throttle). Its just there to keep my coilovers from making excessive movement in maneuvering. Thats all.
o.k pleease tell me you knew for a fact when i said it made no difference i wasnt talking about WHP because if u really did im done posting.... anyways i did the exact samething with my coilovers and no FSTB and there was no exceesive movements nor were there any tires squealing or whatnot... but if everyone felt so much of a difference then so be it... i didnt, maybe my car is somewhat different.................... BTW lemme ask is it one of those "i just installed my intake and it made a "HUGE" difference type of difference??? cause if its something similar in comparison i can understand cause i felt no difference with my intake either (not to say there wasnt any)
Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
o.k pleease tell me you knew for a fact when i said it made no difference i wasnt talking about WHP because if u really did im done posting.... anyways i did the exact samething with my coilovers and no FSTB and there was no exceesive movements nor were there any tires squealing or whatnot... but if everyone felt so much of a difference then so be it... i didnt, maybe my car is somewhat different.................... BTW lemme ask is it one of those "i just installed my intake and it made a "HUGE" difference type of difference??? cause if its something similar in comparison i can understand cause i felt no difference with my intake either (not to say there wasnt any)
was done with it along time ago.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
hmmm... is stage II worth the extra $100?
i have a stg 2 ltb and it makes a world of a difference in the front end..

i drove through this dirt road with big pot holes from trucks doing burnouts in.. and i was being very careful while yelling out my window about my LTB getting scratched up while trying to go through the sides of each pot hole.. lol
Old 09-07-2009, 07:04 AM

^^^ i always wanted to try the LTB, i might actually get one
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM

here you go
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-stage-ii.html
Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM

Trust me dude, it made no difference, its all in the mind... you install it and then go for a drive and try to pay keen attention to your suspension so you pay more details to lil stuff thats been there that u havent paid attention to before, so you think its the strut bar... i gurantee you if you could some how test you car to see how fast it can go around a corner with and without the strut bar i can 99.9% gurantee you there would be no MPH difference... RSB is what makes a difference, maxima's dont have problems with understeer so the FSTB doesnt do much if anything, we suffer from oversteer so we need the RSB to keep our chassis from giving out around turns hense why the RSB is 100 times better and more expensive

i absolutely agree with you on the rsb. my rear loves to slide out, but the ebay bars arent going to perform as well as the beefier ones like stillen, vibrant, or otto. I also agree its not a BIG difference but I really dont think a fstb is about about improving the cornering speed but really just to reduce flex in the chassis and crisper steering response. I had an ebay one and then i bought a Vibrant and the difference was minimal but noticeable. They arent meant to be a substantial upgrade in suspension but the thickness definately matters IMO
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM

and yea dude i agree the blehmco LTB's are sick im ordering a stage 1 this month
Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by tooreckless00
i absolutely agree with you on the rsb. my rear loves to slide out, but the ebay bars arent going to perform as well as the beefier ones like stillen, vibrant, or otto. I also agree its not a BIG difference but I really dont think a fstb is about about improving the cornering speed but really just to reduce flex in the chassis and crisper steering response. I had an ebay one and then i bought a Vibrant and the difference was minimal but noticeable. They arent meant to be a substantial upgrade in suspension but the thickness definately matters IMO
and why wouldnt the ebay ones work as good, have u personally tested the two and seen any difference??? why would a thicker bar be better???
Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
i know i saw that... i gotta get my ish together before i can continue modding though
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM

and why wouldnt the ebay ones work as good, have u personally tested the two and seen any difference??? why would a thicker bar be better???
There would be no difference... Its not like the ebay ones have flex in them and the stillen is rock solid... Its a placebo effect kind of difference in his head I think. FSTB=FSTB some just look nicer or maybe more durable over long period of time
Old 09-07-2009, 05:54 PM

There would be no difference... Its not like the ebay ones have flex in them and the stillen is rock solid... Its a placebo effect kind of difference in his head I think. FSTB=FSTB some just look nicer or maybe more durable over long period of time
I know there is no difference, i just wanted to hear what non fact he was going to follow up with... its like making the statement that a quarter is stronger than a nickel, you cant break either by hand so how would you possibly know??? there is nothing you can do with your maxima to make a corner so hard that it would break a FSTB and if you do the FSTB would be the last thing on your mind
Old 09-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Clearance on the bar... mine my dirty engine lol will be painted soon
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM

All I was saying was there was a difference. It wasn't big but it wasn't the same as before. Thats all.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM

**** no wonder that puny little thing is probably flexing @ idle!!! Size matters, ask any real woman!!! Thanks for testing that POS for the org. I've got a Cattman Ti-bar and yes turn in is more crisp and precise! Front end never squeals in fast hard sweepers... But I can only speak of mine own vehicle!

http://

Last edited by CMax03; 09-08-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM

maybe im wrong but im pretty sure i just said ive had an ebay fstb then went to a Vibrant fstb...the ebay wasn't noticeable at all after putting it in. The vibrant was.
Why would thicker be better??? its common science, what is going to be sturdier? your ebay fstb or a strut bar that is triple the width.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 PM

canada.
enough said
Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 AM

The ebay one that I got is pretty thick... It looks sturdier than the stillen IMO, but I dont know about those welds...

tooreckless stfu jersey nuff said ya dbag... Anybody else from jersey chill its just this tard with issue

Last edited by nzelinsky; 09-08-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 AM

The ebay one that I got is pretty thick... It looks sturdier than the stillen IMO, but I dont know about those welds...

tooreckless stfu jersey nuff said ya dbag... Anybody else from jersey chill its just this tard with issue
Take your car to a shop and ask them about the welds on the connectors. If they say they should be reinforced, then give them the brackets and let them do their thing.

I can't imagine anyone charging more than $20 or $30 for a small welding job like that. Small price for peace of mind.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Take your car to a shop and ask them about the welds on the connectors. If they say they should be reinforced, then give them the brackets and let them do their thing.

I can't imagine anyone charging more than $20 or $30 for a small welding job like that. Small price for peace of mind.
Oh ya, my uncle is a great backyard mechanic with oxy/acetelyne and mig welding equip. He's doing my headers and exhaust once the backorder ships... Im going to ask him to beef up those welds while the car is in his garage. Free FTW!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Oh ya, my uncle is a great backyard mechanic with oxy/acetelyne and mig welding equip. He's doing my headers and exhaust once the backorder ships... Im going to ask him to beef up those welds while the car is in his garage. Free FTW!
Good for you! Free the whales!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM

maybe im wrong but im pretty sure i just said ive had an ebay fstb then went to a Vibrant fstb...the ebay wasn't noticeable at all after putting it in. The vibrant was.
Why would thicker be better??? its common science, what is going to be sturdier? your ebay fstb or a strut bar that is triple the width.
i understand the fact that a thicker peice of metal would be more sturdier (which is not always true) but if i was to use a wire hanger for a FSTB and it never ever squeaked or bend or flex, how could you tell that the thicker one is better??? its not doing anything extra that the ebay one isnt doin... clearly the FSTB would look that slim because the shot was taken from straight on... my point is if the ebay one doesnt flex (which it doesnt) then there is absolutely no difference, goes back to my coin anology, by hand how can you tell if a nickel is stronger than a dime???
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM

...goes back to my coin analogy, by hand how can you tell if a nickel is stronger than a dime?
You know, more often than not you come across quick to judgment, Hustler. But I have to say, that coin analogy is pretty darn clever. I never heard that one before.

To your point, eventually the optimization curve will flatten out, and effectiveness will take a back seat to style and economics... which is why I'm using the Racingline FSTB. By my estimation, it's the best balance of performance, design, style and cost.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Lightly modded

actually RSB makes 10 times the difference than a FSTB, i've also owned one before, makes no difference at all, maxima's suffer from oversteer so the rear will most likely give out than the front hence why a RSB is better
I think you may have your terms mixed up. Maximas NEVER oversteer. Ever. All they do is understeer. A RSB is a great way to reduce understeer, but if you think the Maxima oversteers too much as-is, then a RSB will only make your "oversteer" worse. I will agree that a RSB is 10x better than a FSTB, but not for the reasons you state.

My opinion? All FSTBs are the same for our cars. Save your money and get the Ebay one. I've had a cheap one on my car for 6 years and haven't had a problem. I suppose that, in theory, a thicker bar would be better. But without knowing if the "thinner" bars flex under load, it's kind of a moot point. I can't say I've ever driven a Max with a Stillen or Cattman unit, but unless you auto-x/track your car I doubt you will ever tell the difference. Your money would be better spent in other chassis bracing such as Matt's LTB or SFCs. Trust me, you will feel a difference when you install those things

Last edited by 95maxrider; 09-09-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
You know, more often than not you come across pretty quick to judgment, Hustler. But I have to say, that coin analogy is pretty darn clever. I never heard that one before.

To your point, eventually the optimization curve will flatten out, and effectiveness will take a back seat to style and economics... which is why I'm using the Racingline FSTB. By my estimation, it's the best balance of performance, design, style and cost.
hahaha i kinda came up with the coin thing while i was posting but i understand your point though, i personally would prefer paying more for a sturdier RSB than a FSTB just my opinion
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
I think you may have your terms mixed up. Maximas NEVER oversteer. Ever. All they do is understeer. A RSB is a great way to reduce understeer, but if you think the Maxima oversteers too much as-is, then a RSB will only make your "oversteer" worse. I will agree that a RSB is 10x better than a FSTB, but not for the reasons you state.

My opinion? All FSTBs are the same for our cars. Save your money and get the Ebay one. I've had a cheap one on my car for 6 years and haven't had a problem. I suppose that, in theory, a thicker bar would be better. But without knowing if the "thinner" bars flex under load, it's kind of a moot point. I can't say I've ever driven a Max with a Stillen or Cattman unit, but unless you auto-x/track your car I doubt you will ever tell the difference. Your money would be better spent in other chassis bracing such as Matt's LTB or SFCs. Trust me, you will feel a difference when you install those those things
Now be honest with me, did you really not understand what i was saying or were you just trying to be the smart guy??? but the reasron why i said "OVERSTEER" was because i keep mixing up the difference between the two so i used wikipedia to check which was which and i quote... sorry sr if you was ultimately confused, i would think because it was a "REAR sway bar" most would put two and two together that it had something to do with the rear suspension, but i do thank you for the correction

"Oversteer is a phenomenon that can occur in an automobile while attempting to corner or while already cornering. The car is said to oversteer when the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn. Oversteer can throw the car into a spin. The effect is opposite to that of understeer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversteer
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider

My opinion? All FSTBs are the same for our cars. Save your money and get the Ebay one. I've had a cheap one on my car for 6 years and haven't had a problem. I suppose that, in theory, a thicker bar would be better. But without knowing if the "thinner" bars flex under load, it's kind of a moot point. I can't say I've ever driven a Max with a Stillen or Cattman unit, but unless you auto-x/track your car I doubt you will ever tell the difference. Your money would be better spent in other chassis bracing such as Matt's LTB or SFCs. Trust me, you will feel a difference when you install those those things /THREAD!!!
FIXED!!!

lemme just double quote you... you made an excellent point and for somebody who actually auto-x's you just basically summed it up and said the exact samething i was saying, but im sure everybody else would think that i was typing gibrish
Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car, understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take it with you.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

would a 4th gen maxima fstb work fine on a 96' I30??? has anyone know there to be any fitment probs..?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM

you might want to ask the 4th gen guys... this is 5g forum man
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM

actuallu seeing that i owned a couple 4th gens too... i do believe they do fit a I30 (same chassis and strut stud pattern) i dont see why not, check ebay, it would say maxima/I30
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by 96A32
would a 4th gen maxima fstb work fine on a 96' I30??? has anyone know there to be any fitment probs..?
Yes, it will. 99% of Maxima parts transfer over to the I30. There's a slim chance it may rub against a hose, like it did on my car, but the hose can be adjusted to not rub against it.

All of this information and more can be easily found by looking in the I30 section on this forum.

Last edited by 95maxrider; 09-09-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 PM

good one
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM

ebay all the way!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 AM

a maxima oversteers stock? haha
Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

good one
totally agree....