5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking to do a custom exhaust... need some help guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Looking to do a custom exhaust... need some help guys

So after getting sick of waiting for megan catback I canceled that order a few months ago. I want a 3" exhaust but cant really afford the cattman. Im hoping custommaxima.com has a 3" available soon but I cant wait forever and am thinking that I have to go custom.

I went to a local exhaust shop and they priced me $700 CDN for custom 3" with no resonator and a walker turbo muffler ($200) He said another $90 for a resonator...

From what I have read many people have had custom exhaust done for much less than this. I asked him to price 2.5" and it only saves less than $100 off the price.

I am considering buying one of the ebay or custom maxima 2.5" exhaust and just putting my own muffler on...

Can anybody tell me a good exhaust shop that might be more affordable or recommend a different exhaust I can buy?

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM

I'd say do it right the first time. SAVE your money, and buy the Cattman. That way, you know you're getting what you really want, and you know its awesome. You also wont have to waste time and money with anything else if you don't really like it. In the end, it would be totally worth it.

Considering your car won't be wrecked in the near future, or you're not planning on selling it, what's the rush?

Unless your hardcore impatient, maybe someone else can chime in for other exhaust options.

GL
Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

i look at it like this. How long do you plan on having the car. Reason saying is i want to do the cat back as well and will prob drive the car til its dead. if maybe the next 5 yrs just get a custom aluminum. I honestly cant see spending 700---+ on for a catback. I have the stock exhaust on mine and although it is rusty looking.. it works and no holes.. meaning the piping should last a while so shop around and just get some aluminum piping or regular steel. if you do car shows thats different. i have a guy that did my 68 camaro from headers back with flowmasters and it still is looking good with a polish and that was ummmm....15 years ago. i know he can do the max for 400 or so from the catback if not cheaper.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM

If you're going with a customized exhaust, have you considered using a Borla muffler?

As to shop advice -- start networking with local speed shops, and body shops for that matter, asking for a reputable mechanic who can bend a customized setup. Unless your exhaust is falling off, take your time finding the right guy.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
大陆弟弟

700 CDN for a custom catback is not bad if

1. mandrel bent vs crush bent
2. stainless steel vs aluminized steel (I figure you guys get lots of salt during winter)

The Walker Turbo is one of the quietest aftermarket mufflers but w/o resonator is still going to crazy loud.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM

another way to look at it.. the cattman 3" is going to have WAYY higher resale (in 3 years you can still prob get 4-500 for it).. so.. just one way of justifying it.. net loss 2-300 for a good catback..

but what do I know.. my rear section rusted off and im running open B pipe.. trying to weigh out my options and figure something out before i put my headers on..cause i need a good resonator and muffler for that lol
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM

I just got a 3" cat to axle back for 230+tax

Aluminized steel... No resonators. Crush bent tho, but not as bad since there are only like 2 bends.

This is in south Florida tho. It's beautiful
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM

i was curious on something. Would going with a custom or aftermarket catback to muffler give any power increase. Meaning no headers but getting rid of that flat area of the exhaust and upping to the 2.5 or 3". Would there be any noticealbe difference in seat ofthe pants feel..
Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM

I dont know what kind of steel it would be... definitely crush bent though. I figure if it was 3" the crush wouldnt be so bad. They told me mandrel benders cost 1/4 mil and nobody in calgary has one... BS maybe?

Perkman what company did your exhaust, thats the kind of deal im looking to get this price seems ridiculous. If I wanted to drop $700 I would just go with cattman.

I want something way cheaper... I am planning on keeping the car but 700 seems overpriced to me. I bought obx headers instead of cattman because of the price difference and I am satisfied with them.

what do you guys think about getting the piping of a cheaper ebay catback and putting on a good muffler?

Rochester- I do want a borla... the shop I went to doesnt sell them. I might order one online or check other shops to find one.

Oh yeah, Im not in a rush... I just want it done within the next two months. Race city opens soon if weather is good I want it on by the time I hit the track.

On a side note: I have a really bad rattle and I thought it was because my headers needed a hanger... turns out the exhaust guy thinks it sounds like I have a nut or bolt that may have fallen into the headers during install... LOL Im such an idiot now I have to take the headers off and try and get that ***** out

Last edited by nzelinsky; 03-17-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
i was curious on something. Would going with a custom or aftermarket catback to muffler give any power increase. Meaning no headers but getting rid of that flat area of the exhaust and upping to the 2.5 or 3". Would there be any noticealbe difference in seat ofthe pants feel..

I doubt it unless you have headers
Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 PM

It was a local shop, at first he quoted me 340 but I told him that i would go elsewhere. As far as an eBay b pipe then a muffler of your choice, look at the diameters of them. I wanted to do the same thing at first then realized all the 5th gen eBay cats are 2.25 in diameter.

Google a local exhaust shop and try to find some testimonials or pics of them. Also consider getting your desired muffler online. Save money and take your time.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Don't take your headers off btw, just unbolt the cat fro
the obx y and start her up, rev it bolt should shoot right out. And you def need to get exhaust and a/f tune with those headers, I gained like 25 hp and tq after tune, without the 3" btw.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
You embarrass me.

This may be stupid to ask, but I've been wondering myself...

Could you find out what bends are needed in the exhaust system, buy them already made online, then bring them to a shop who can fit and weld them thus your piping?

I know Treadstone Performance sells 3" SS mandrel bends in different angles:

Stainless Steel Piping: available in 2.5 & 3", and in 16 Gauge 304 SS.
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...tainless+Steel

So for example, if the Maxima system has like 4-5 bends (judging from diagram on Courtesy), at $30 +ship each, add straight pipe (no complication there, most of which may be your resonator), and muffler of choice. Bring to shop, weld together, flanges and hangers.

Could this work as another option? It would give you the materials, diameter, bends, muffler and resonator choice all in your hands.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by perkman87
It was a local shop, at first he quoted me 340 but I told him that i would go elsewhere. As far as an eBay b pipe then a muffler of your choice, look at the diameters of them. I wanted to do the same thing at first then realized all the 5th gen eBay cats are 2.25 in diameter.

Google a local exhaust shop and try to find some testimonials or pics of them. Also consider getting your desired muffler online. Save money and take your time.
hmmm maybe Ill order the custommaxima.com 2.5" then and just use thier muffler

Don't take your headers off btw, just unbolt the cat fro
the obx y and start her up, rev it bolt should shoot right out. And you def need to get exhaust and a/f tune with those headers, I gained like 25 hp and tq after tune, without the 3" btw.
Ya I was thinking about doing that... I wonder if thats why my catalytic converter stinks right now. Whenever I hit WOT it smells like rotten eggs and somebody said that could be the cat... it could be the cat with a bolt stuck in it lol

wow 25hp with a tune?? I know I have a gain with no tune but that would be nice to squeeze out that extra power. Do I have to buy an apexi and go to a dyno shop for that? can they do it with all their own stuff or what?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
This may be stupid to ask, but I've been wondering myself...

Could you find out what bends are needed in the exhaust system, buy them already made online, then bring them to a shop who can fit and weld them thus your piping?

I know Treadstone Performance sells 3" SS mandrel bends in different angles:

Stainless Steel Piping: available in 2.5 & 3", and in 16 Gauge 304 SS.
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...tainless+Steel

So for example, if the Maxima system has like 4-5 bends (judging from diagram on Courtesy), at $30 +ship each, add straight pipe (no complication there, most of which may be your resonator), and muffler of choice. Bring to shop, weld together, flanges and hangers.

Could this work as another option? It would give you the materials, diameter, bends, muffler and resonator choice all in your hands.
Im drooling over your rims and paint right now....

That sounds like a good idea, not sure if you can or not... hopefully somebody else on here knows
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 PM
You embarrass me.

Haha, thank you for the kind words.

I hope someone with more exhaust system experience chimes in.

If you just want 2.5", I'd just go ebay system then get your muffler & resonator of choice installed.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Haha, thank you for the kind words.

I hope someone with more exhaust system experience chimes in.

If you just want 2.5", I'd just go ebay system then get your muffler & resonator of choice installed.
THOSE EBAY 2.5" are OD NOT ID .. ITS 2.25 ID . . .
Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by mist max2000
THOSE EBAY 2.5" are OD NOT ID .. ITS 2.25 ID . . .
Never mind. Didn't know that, saw 2.5" on the site and thread, should've checked into that more. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 PM

Never mind. Didn't know that, saw 2.5" on the site and thread, should've checked into that more. Thanks!
You have to read close some are 2.25" and some are 2.5".
Old 03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
大陆弟弟

Yes you can use pre-made mandrel bent pieces to fab up an exhaust system. This is common practice for shops which don't have mandrel bender and customers don't want crush.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dynasty47x1
You have to read close some are 2.25" and some are 2.5".
interesting.. hope those arn't typo's...i might try and find one confirmed 2.5id and buy a seperate resonator(magnaflow) and seperate muffler (borla?) and hack it together myself..

unless custom maxima can pull it together and get their 2.5" rolling..
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 PM

I got a new warpspeed y pipe, high flo cat, 2.5 cat back and a dual tip muffler for about $500 and labor to install everything was about $250...and I think the car sounds good....better than spending $700 for just a catback anyday imo....it's all SS and looks nice too
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
I got a new warpspeed y pipe, high flo cat, 2.5 cat back and a dual tip muffler for about $500 and labor to install everything was about $250...and I think the car sounds good....better than spending $700 for just a catback anyday imo....it's all SS and looks nice too

Where did you pick up all that and have it installed? sounds like you know a good exhaust shop?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
fror a 5th gen and modlist its probebly better, but in all honesty, a 3" exhaust probebly have more HP gains than both of those therefore somewhat justifying the price.... a 3" yeild 20whp over a 2.5" exhaust... not stock, but over an aftermarket exhaust... emagine the gain over stock...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM

i copied this from the cattman vs megan post since this one seems to be
more in the area im asking

[/QUOTE]=perkman87;7473065]how about HKS REAR vs all

http://www.youtube.com/user/Perkman0.../1/dGwGOi3E39s

I just upgraded the b pipe to 3" so it sounds less pingy I will post up at some point when i become sober tommorrow[/QUOTE]

I was reading all this and had a question for the org as well as Perkman. i called up my exhaust shop, Lous Custom exhaust, and he said he could do a custom bent intermediate pipe--2.5 for 175. He said no crush bending that at the bends they are all smooth. He also stated that 3inch would be to big to get in there but i see some of you have done it. I have a flowmaster 60 so id keep that. Later down the road im looking to do the headers but thats a ways away.
So ?s are: is 175 for the cat to the muffler in 2.5 a good price?
What size is the stock pipe?
With a 2.5inch bpipe vs stock will i notice any exhaust sound difference (without/before headers)
Will i see any power difference with the 2.5 b pipe? (before i get the headers)
if i dont get headers for a while will a 2.5 or 3inch kill my power down low?

Grand Hustle or Perkman
Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 PM

another way to look at it.. the cattman 3" is going to have WAYY higher resale (in 3 years you can still prob get 4-500 for it).. so.. just one way of justifying it.. net loss 2-300 for a good catback..

but what do I know.. my rear section rusted off and im running open B pipe.. trying to weigh out my options and figure something out before i put my headers on..cause i need a good resonator and muffler for that lol
That is a very good plan right there
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by tcaughey
I'd say do it right the first time. SAVE your money, and buy the Cattman. That way, you know you're getting what you really want, and you know its awesome. You also wont have to waste time and money with anything else if you don't really like it. In the end, it would be totally worth it.

Considering your car won't be wrecked in the near future, or you're not planning on selling it, what's the rush?

Unless your hardcore impatient, maybe someone else can chime in for other exhaust options.

GL
Good point!!!!!
Originally Posted by n3985
700 CDN for a custom catback is not bad if

1. mandrel bent vs crush bent
2. stainless steel vs aluminized steel (I figure you guys get lots of salt during winter)

The Walker Turbo is one of the quietest aftermarket mufflers but w/o resonator is still going to crazy loud.
Very good point....he's in Canada; plenty of snow, ice and road salt more than likely.....

These Cattman pieces will outlive the original car......

I just got a 3" cat to axle back for 230+tax

Aluminized steel... No resonators. Crush bent tho, but not as bad since there are only like 2 bends.

This is in south Florida tho. It's beautiful
post some pics, so we can see what kinda system you have.....
here's a company you can use to build you're own 3" system, either with flanges, ball/socket joints, band clamp designed flanges or good ole slip joint, etc.....

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...its/Categories

I would go with T409 and band clamps where needed for maintenance or ease of component replacement....A good size resonator and muffler and you're in business....