5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Going to do the TS reflash!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM

g37s are slow. the majority of drivers in an auto g37 are going to run 13.9. They make good power, but theyre SOOOO dang heavy
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Yes, as long as it's the correct one for your particular vehicle.
Hmm, Are you sure, Roy?

Either way, buying an ECU to avoid a few days downtime doesn't seem a cost-effective decision. I'd rather spend the money at Hertz and rent a new Camaro or something equally interesting.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hmm, Are you sure, Roy?

Either way, buying an ECU to avoid a few days downtime doesn't seem a cost-effective decision. I'd rather spend the money at Hertz and rent a new Camaro or something equally interesting.
Why wouldn't it work? If one has a back-up ECU that is compatible with the vehicle, then he/she may use it for a flash.

But.....I do like your Camaro idea...
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

The 4th gens were cool. You buy a junkyard ECU, ride on it for however long, and then put your JWT unit back in, easy.

But our anti-theft wont let us do that.

I have snow tires, and love them, BUT if I ever got caught in say a situation where I lost weight on 1 more than the other,

Also, for the other ECU question, yes it is possible, but will cost ~130$.

1. Go to local dealership with new/used ECU, have Nissan reflash your key for the ECU
2. Send TS your OEM unit
3. Wait the days and get your old on reflashed again.

TS will give you more details as they actually suggest it when you rely on your DD .
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM

And if you do not have the ssim
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM

For ts to flash your NATS it will cost $150, the dealerships I've talked to about it are quoting less than half of that, so go that route
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by perkman87
I'm sure there is still benefit.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Gains still to be had.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Just make sure you match up the options your car has. If either your car or the ECU is expecting something that is or isn't there, you got problems.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks to all about my ECU question. I asked b/c I saw a couple of them on eBay for like 130/shipped (for an 02 AT) and just figured that'd be cheaper than renting a half-way decent car for 3 or so days. Plus, call me a sissy but I like to do mods that are somewhat easily reversed.

I got more research to do though b/c you can fit what I know about tuning cars in the belly button of a gnat.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:11 PM

it will end up being more than 130 because you cant just pick an ECU up and plug it in, you have to have the dealer initialize your NATS to recognize the new ECU, or the car will think youre trying to steal it. Its also a lot harder for an auto than a 6spd. Any 6-spd ECU will work, but for the auto you have to make sure you get the correct type to match the options your car has
Old 04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
Thanks to all about my ECU question. I asked b/c I saw a couple of them on eBay for like 130/shipped (for an 02 AT) and just figured that'd be cheaper than renting a half-way decent car for 3 or so days. Plus, call me a sissy but I like to do mods that are somewhat easily reversed.

I got more research to do though b/c you can fit what I know about tuning cars in the belly button of a gnat.
I overnighted mine (100$ + cost of ECU) and rocked my gf's mazda 3 beater for 2 days. TS is good in that they'll overnight it back to you.

Considering what is being done with the cars, etc, depending on your plans and budget, it almost be worth it to get an extra ECU NATS/key for the hay of it.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Just got off the phone with the guys from technosquare.. ( this is for the Auto guys)

They will do it

it is an fspec flash with a basic tune off of somebody that had cattman headers installed.

He told me that It normally is not a noticeable tune, but if you have full bolt ons (like myself) It is very beneficial.

I would have to get re tuned on the dyno afterwards in order to correct the safc.

550 for everything......... Huuuuummmmmmmm Automatics can use it now!!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

They/we owe you a beer.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Just got off the phone with the guys from technosquare.. ( this is for the Auto guys)

They will do it

it is an fspec flash with a basic tune off of somebody that had cattman headers installed.

He told me that It normally is not a noticeable tune, but if you have full bolt ons (like myself) It is very beneficial.

I would have to get re tuned on the dyno afterwards in order to correct the safc.

550 for everything......... Huuuuummmmmmmm Automatics can use it now!!!!!
True That! I also talked too them twice in the last 6 months to be sure they were still doing Reflashes for autos...which was yes, but with the TCM still overriding the engine ECU unless you manually shift it....It didn't matter to me I wanted the revised ignition and fuel maps that yes, would be very noticeable and provide excellent driveability, and provide more crisp throttle response.....A few years back maybe 2003 or 2004 there was a 2003 Maxima A/T which featured : TS reflashed ecu, ypipe and intake! That guy ran a 13.7sec/1/4 mile....That's freakin awesome and really a short mod list if I can say so myself....

Last edited by CMax03; 04-21-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
True That! I also talked too them twice in the last 6 months to be sure they were still doing Reflashes for autos...which was yes, but with the TCM still overriding the engine ECU unless you manually shift it....It didn't matter to me I wanted the revised ignition and fuel maps that yes, would be very noticeable and provide excellent driveability, and provide more crisp throttle response.....A few years back maybe 2003 or 2004 there was a 2003 Maxima A/T which featured : TS reflashed ecu, ypipe and intake! That guy ran a 13.7sec/1/4 mile....That's freakin awesome and really a short mod list if I can say so myself....
The price is what gets me tho. 550.....

also he was not to clear about being able to gate shift into a higher Rpm (AKA 7100) but he did say the rev limiter would be raised.

13.7 sounds kinda crazy, but anything is possible.

sorry to thread jack OP.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

so perhaps this is me being slow....if for the auto it is a base tune with just the cattman headers, will I only see the gains he had with that tune or will they tune more aggressively for what ive got done

***udp, ssim, cattman gen III's, cattman 3.0 catback, Injen (***LOL I know but its pretty***), and now im in the market for spacers, fastcat, and a larger maf.

I plan to run the larger maf sensor housing just looking for a ....sexy looking one currently....

but that brings back the question. Will the tune account for ALL of my mods or be stuck with what he had as a baseline and thats it? for five fifty im damn near tempted to dive home on leave if thats the case, and let them "fix" it while im there.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 AM

The price is what gets me tho. 550.....

also he was not to clear about being able to gate shift into a higher Rpm (AKA 7100) but he did say the rev limiter would be raised.

13.7 sounds kinda crazy, but anything is possible.

sorry to thread jack OP.
Yeah that's the only way you'll get pass the TCM is by gate shifting...I've been practicing my a$$ off...It actually makes my 3" catback sound even sexier gate shifting @ about 3.5K 1-4.....Wish someone sold a reflashed TCM....LOL....As far as the price...$550, I'm cool with it! I couldn't program it like they can...Hell they program most of the mfg ECUs throughout the market....that's how Techtom (TS) was started....I heard alot of that samething in the 3rd Gen section regarding JWT reflashed ecu's and I simply opened the box remove the Oem ecu and installed the JWT and drove off, in shear amazement....WOW what a difference!!!!! I don't care how cheap Nistune is...I don't have 30 yrs experience in ecu programming to even have a hiccup free system in 365 days after installing a Nistune/Utec/etc....Most of these guys with these plug and play gadgets have all types of issues going on that they're completely clueless about. So I'll spent a little bit of money for that cookie cutter program and cruise on down the road having fun, while they spend their time scratching thier heads trying to get where I am with a flawless operating machine that delivers driveability they could only dream of (And NO Glitches Nor Hiccups), not just that 1 dimensional WOT blast down the 1/4 mile against the clock!!!!! Fine tuning it via SAFC/VAFC/NEO after that to make it more suitable for your setup......

Last edited by CMax03; 04-22-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Maybe we can get a group deal rate going on?? I'd be more than happy to take care of it if you guys wanna. What do you think?
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by viperboy
Maybe we can get a group deal rate going on?? I'd be more than happy to take care of it if you guys wanna. What do you think?
bet it up. im in.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM

It been a month or so since this has been updated. viperboy, did you ever get this done? If so, what do ya think of it?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

I need to comment on this as a valid opinion. I really felt nothing. But quantitatively, I did see an increase in timing,flat 13.0 AFR and the beloved Z33 CVTC curves.

I "felt" a whole more when I got a JWT for my 4th gen. Of course as luck would have it there were limited options for quantifying ECU parameters at the time of my purchase of the JWT.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM

I will get my car back together on Sunday, part of which is a TS F-spec flash, I'll be glad to share my results.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
It been a month or so since this has been updated. viperboy, did you ever get this done? If so, what do ya think of it?
It has been a while. C'mon, OP, what happened?

Originally Posted by MaximusTi
I will get my car back together on Sunday, part of which is a TS F-spec flash, I'll be glad to share my results.
Definitely. Please do.

But full disclosure here, buddy. You're doing a TS Flash... and just about everything else imaginable, all at once. (Intake, spacers, headers, catback, suspension, on and on...)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester

Definitely. Please do.

But full disclosure here, buddy. You're doing a TS Flash... and just about everything else imaginable, all at once. (Intake, spacers, headers, catback, suspension, on and on...)
Yes, that is true. I'll start a fresh thread instead of jacking this one when I get it all together. I do have a couple pics I snapped of the ECU location. Its right behind the radio/HVAC controls. I am not sure about others but we had to remove the glove box and kick panels on either side of the stack to access the 4 bolts that hold it in place.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 PM

mine isnt very good at all
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 AM

Hey guys, sorry for not responding here. I never ended up doing it, IDK I just had second thoughts. I was worried about the longevity of the car. I know the car is going to be alot quicker, but I worry about the clutch holding the power and the motor lasting. I'm about to get back into school and won't be working so the last thing I want is for the motor to catastrophically fail, you know? Maybe in the future...
Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 AM

That was disappointing.

For some time now, I've been wanting to read something current, a car with similar mods getting the full TS Flash. MaximusTI is the closest to that today, but like I said, he's doing all his mods at once.

Not intending to dismiss you, Markus! Not at all. It's pretty cool imagining a fully loaded 2003 TE 6MT HLSD going ***** to the walls with every contemporary mod in the book. And I believe you said recently that day was... today?

Well?

Last edited by Rochester; 06-20-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 AM

All I am waiting for is a call from my mechanic ! Believe me I am going out of my mind, its been well over a month and I just want too DRIVE ! The only thing that is keeping me from going totally insane is working. I am working today to keep my mind off of it and when I get that call I won't be posting a thread about my experience immediately since I will likely be out driving until I run out of gas.

That is really the reason I haven't done an intro thread or otherwise since I wanted to do a complete post with pics and a comprehensive impression of the total package rather than making people wait...But, its nice to be the one waiting for my car for a change
Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 AM

^^^
This should be good. Markus and I have been PM'ing about this project of his, and whatever he comes up with should be interesting reading of a well-thought-out analysis. Wait until you guys see the endless laundry list of mods, I think eclipsing the cost of the car itself, which is already top of the line. I'm really looking forward to this review.

But no pressure... (heh heh)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Mechanics pssssshhhh
Old 07-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Well, its been awhile now since I have gotten the car back and I have driven it (2500kms or so) with the TS flash and all my mods.

Regarding the flash; what I have noticed most about this mod is the way it has affected driveability. I believe that it has made the car with all its mods perform like stock while driven normally. When I drive the s**t out of the car it works great...top end power is awesome with the bigger exhaust and the extended rev limit is hard to not want to dip into.

The only real comparison I have is Knight_yyz's car and we never had the chance to line the cars up side by side from a standstill to see where I am at next to his custom dyno tuned car. My initial impressions are that his car is stronger down low and mine is stronger up top, but thats hard to quantify without ***** out racing.

I am really happy with the results, my car runs well, gets great mileage (if I can resist WOT runs) and I would reccomend this sort of tuning too anyone who is looking for a simple solution.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by viperboy
I was thinking about sending it out tomorrow, but I don't know that I will have time. Just a few quick questions... Anything recommended that I should tell them to do? I was gonna tell them to do the Z33 timing map, give them my mods, and tell them I want a 7500rpm redline. Anything else I should tell them?

Secondly, how do you remove the ECU? Not 100% sure, but definitely something I don't wanna mess up!! Any recommendations on how to send it? Just wanna do this right!! Thanks!
might not wanna go above the recommended 7100 or to even push it to 7200, unless you want ur motor to jump out the chassis and leave you
Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
might not wanna go above the recommended 7100 or to even push it to 7200, unless you want ur motor to jump out the chassis and leave you
Old 07-31-2010, 06:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

TS leaves us with 7100.

MaximusTi, do you have a stock intake manifold?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
TS leaves us with 7100.

MaximusTi, do you have a stock intake manifold?
Yes, stock no SSIM. Only NWP BOP currently.