5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got fed up of klunking noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not an issue of "best"... it's fitment.

The SE model has a 23mm FSB. The GLE and GXE have a 22mm FSB.
That is right sir.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
That is right sir.

...Don't know how I missed that.

Preciate it.

Last edited by exandr; 05-13-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Moog Sway Bar Link Kits installed today. Klunking noise is gone!

Picked up both for the front end from Advance Auto for $32 BNIB!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by exandr
Moog Sway Bar Link Kits installed today. Klunking noise is gone!

Picked up both for the front end from Advance Auto for $32 BNIB!
exandr, get under the car in a couple of months and re-pack those grease fittings. As you probably noticed before giving those kits to your mechanic, they came pre-packed from MOOG. But what I experienced is that either there isn't enough grease, or it's inferior quality, or it moves around... IDK, really.

All I know for sure is that you need to check them and likely pack them again in a few months.

Pick up a nice quality grease gun. Or mention this to your mechanic for your next visit this summer. It sounds like you've got a great relationship with your mechanic.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM

I wouldn't even call them pre-packed - my Moog endlinks and OTRE's had a bare minimum of what looked to be assembly grease. Which makes sense. With unsealed design Moog can't have these things leaking oil all over the shelf or in someones hot garage.

When I filled mine with red grease, I'd guess two eraser-head's worth of the original grease came out...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Great threat man!!
I do have a question or two.... I am preparing to get the suspension done and looking at rockauto found the struts; strut mount w/ bearing (moog), Strut bellow w. bumper (moog) now the question is: what else do I need to replace for the struts, I mean the FSM has also 1. Strut mount upper plate
2. Strut spacer, 3. Strut mount insulator, 4. Strut mount bracket,6. Spring upper seat, 7. Spring rubber seat of those what can I re use and what needs to be changed.

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Zulu

This thread inspired me to upgrade my suspension. here's what i got so far.
eibach kit
illumina set
moog tie rod end
progress rear sway bar
subframe collars

i'm getting these next week.
kyb boot kit
sway bar end links
sway bar bushing
lower ball joint.

motor mounts in the future...

i've been browsing for the swaybar bushings.
what's the difference between the "sway bar bushings" and the "sway bar frame bushings" on energysuspensionparts.com?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Chaka
i've been browsing for the swaybar bushings.
what's the difference between the "sway bar bushings" and the "sway bar frame bushings" on energysuspensionparts.com?
Subframe bushings are the bushings that sit (4) in between the crossmember and the subframe.

The swaybar bushings are the bushings that fit around the actual sway bar (2).
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
exandr, get under the car in a couple of months and re-pack those grease fittings. As you probably noticed before giving those kits to your mechanic, they came pre-packed from MOOG. But what I experienced is that either there isn't enough grease, or it's inferior quality, or it moves around... IDK, really.

All I know for sure is that you need to check them and likely pack them again in a few months.

Pick up a nice quality grease gun. Or mention this to your mechanic for your next visit this summer. It sounds like you've got a great relationship with your mechanic.

Yea, he looks out. I'll have him check them out when I go back. As a matter of fact...I'll be going back pretty d*#n soon since the noise is back. Long story...
Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Just had the ds lower control arm, ball joint and bushing replaced today. I wanted to wait so that I could do subframe collars and sway bar bushings all at the same time, btu this had to be done.

WIP.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know, I had the infamous front end clunk and replaced the passenger(transverse) motor mount and no more clunk!! I read about it on here and diagnosed it by pushing on that side of the motor, I could actually make it clunk haha. Hope this helps someone
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM

My Max is clunking on the front end also...gonna start this upgrade now. Thanks for all the tips...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM

So common, it should be a TSB.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 PM

I changed my front sway bar links today with moog ones and the clunking noise from the front right side is gone, thank god! The front also seems ever so slightly more crisp when turning.

Taking the old one was hard though, one of the bolts seized and I had to saw it off.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Brl24
Just wanted to let everyone know, I had the infamous front end clunk and replaced the passenger(transverse) motor mount and no more clunk!! I read about it on here and diagnosed it by pushing on that side of the motor, I could actually make it clunk haha. Hope this helps someone

...Interesting. I'll look into this.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Is it Better to go with MOOG? or OEM sealed endlinks?

wouldnt going with a unealed endlink require you to repack the grease again in a few months?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nevermore
Is it Better to go with MOOG? or OEM sealed endlinks?

wouldnt going with a unealed endlink require you to repack the grease again in a few months?
From past experience, the OEM sealed had to be replace more often than I am re-packing the Moog's.... I am suspecting a drop in quality of the OEM replacement parts.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM

I have the same problem, klunking sound from the front right side and very slight sound from the driver side occationally. I recently got the following changed.

1. Front Wheel bearings (L/h & R/h)
2. Inner Tie rods (L/h & R/h)
3. Outer Tie Rod (R/h)

I still have the same problem. Do you guys think that changing the front sway bar links will help?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

based on age/mileage

I'd suggest that given the age/mileage of our vehicles,and assuming none of this has been done previously, I think standard practice should be to replace;
-swaybar endlinks
-swaybar bushings
-engine mounts
I had serious clunking++ prior to these changes, and now everything is tight and quiet. Visually evaluating whether an engine mount is damaged can be a challenge-don't rely on it. Mine LOOKED fine, but were all shot. Verifying engine movement under load or with a prybar is best. As for swaybar bushings and endlinks, I was convinced mine were fine once removed and inspected, but I replaced them anyway and..VOILA!!..no more clunking. You should be able to evaluate any other front end components (tie rods, wheel bearings, LCA bushings) visually/by manipulating, the exception being strut mounts(in my experience).
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM

I agree. I have done struts/mounts, ball joints, tie rods, bearings, and sway bar links...faint clunking still there! IDK what else it could be. So...for right now, I'm riding it, but I'm going to have my mechanic change my motor mounts. I've heard the the transverse motor mount has been the cause for many...see brl24's comments above.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by StevieB
I'd suggest that given the age/mileage of our vehicles,and assuming none of this has been done previously, I think standard practice should be to replace;
-swaybar endlinks
-swaybar bushings
-engine mounts
I had serious clunking++ prior to these changes, and now everything is tight and quiet. Visually evaluating whether an engine mount is damaged can be a challenge-don't rely on it. Mine LOOKED fine, but were all shot. Verifying engine movement under load or with a prybar is best. As for swaybar bushings and endlinks, I was convinced mine were fine once removed and inspected, but I replaced them anyway and..VOILA!!..no more clunking. You should be able to evaluate any other front end components (tie rods, wheel bearings, LCA bushings) visually/by manipulating, the exception being strut mounts(in my experience).
Originally Posted by exandr
I agree. I have done struts/mounts, ball joints, tie rods, bearings, and sway bar links...faint clunking still there! IDK what else it could be. So...for right now, I'm riding it, but I'm going to have my mechanic change my motor mounts. I've heard the the transverse motor mount has been the cause for many...see brl24's comments above.
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I have a 2000 SE 5MT with 105K miles. Previous owner changed the struts @ 70k. I recently got the stuff I listed changed by a org member. Since I still have the klunking noise, he asked me stop by after work today to investigate. Can you tell me what should I ask him to check before deciding on what to do? Once again thanks a lot for your input.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Just replaced a control arm and am doing some sway bar links tomorrow as well as brakes.
Threads like this help a lot.
Thanks!