5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2009 vq35 swap in 2003

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by NisTech
so to swap an 08 vq35 you do not need any modifications whatsoever right???
Can anyone confirm this?
U have to change the upper oil pan so the 02 crank sensor will be in the right spot. If its off by a little bit it won't start. It will crank foreva but won't turn over. The only way it wil start is if u unplug the crank sensor and once u do that it will start but the tach won't work.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by FrankA33
excellent info guys, thanks alot.
09 would be nice, in projection for sure.
deckdout2's engine should be purchased by Datdude20, too bad for me.
thanks again.
I picked up a 06 motor on saturday
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 AM

I can't imagine paying $2500 for a motor swap, **** that... 6th gen motors doesn't make any more power over the 5.5, the extrra 10chp is from the ecu, so unless you did a full 6th gen swap (all for 10hp) then its the same... i'd love to see somebody do a 2010 vq35... now I'm sure there is some extra gains in them....
Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM

so to swap an 08 vq35 you do not need any modifications whatsoever right???
Can anyone confirm this?
Originally Posted by datdude20
U have to change the upper oil pan so the 02 crank sensor will be in the right spot. If its off by a little bit it won't start. It will crank foreva but won't turn over. The only way it wil start is if u unplug the crank sensor and once u do that it will start but the tach won't work.

There's a little more to it, somewhat minor, but just so no one thinks that's it, I'll chime in (again ), having just done this exact swap. I did not change my oil pans, fyi, not knowing any better at the time, I eventually fabricated a mounting bracket for my CKPS and "relief'd" the block to allow for the 02's sensor to clear. Oh, and speaking of the 02/08 engine differences, you're going to need your existing flexplate or flywheel, as the trans' are different between the two. This also causes the need to "relief" the block like I mentioned above. I'll have to take some pictures one of these days, I guess.......

The knock sensor and 'rear' cam position sensor, on the '08 motor, combine their harness', which is different than the car's harness, so you need to swap those for the plugs to match.

The fuel rails either need to be changed, or a custom fuel inlet line mocked up, as the quick-connect style fuel rail on the '08 engine is different than the "half regulator break" style connection that the 02 has.

Lastly, the 08 engine had an EGR valve port which needs to be addressed. I just created a block off plate using a gasket and some some flat stock laying around, which worked perfectly for me.

Other than that, everything else was virtually identical.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM

^^^^ have you ever dynoed your car???
Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM

G, I have not, and I know you're patiently waiting

And, to be honest, I really need to get around to cleaning out my exhaust, which would of course be the perfect time to do a before-n-after dyno....

Here's some really perplexing information for you to chew on: even tho my engine has only 34k on it right now, and I'm burning 93 octane, have for long enough to matter, I still can detect some pinging/clattering/pre-ignition at mild load/minor throttle input, around the 2-2500 rpm mark, like all the "high mileage" VQ's do.

Yet, I wouldn't suspect my throttle body needing cleaning, or my plugs needing replacing, or injectors cleaning, at only 34k miles......but the noise is there, if you listen. I messaged Nealoc187 way back, when it hit me that perhaps Nissan undersized the injectors in the Quest's VQ due to its expected lesser power output, but he didn't feel that to be a valid concern. If you think about it, yeah, undersized injectors would give me issues at WOT, which I don't have, but not at cruise.

I'm going to replace my fuel filter and pump one of these days soon, as they both have 154k on them, and perhaps could be the source of my lean? condition? As could the exhaust, in some way. Poor flowing cats=too much backpressure?

Don't mean to threadjack, sorry OP, if I need to take my musings to a new thread, that's cool.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM

ill be awaiting dyno... seeing your join date and posts i have a feeling ill be waiting for a very long time for this... will i?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM

I picked up a 06 motor on saturday
Oh ! cool then. I might be able to get my hands on a 1 month old rebuilt 02 that the guy totaled 2 clicks away from my place. If not I'll see for Deckdout2's motor.
Funds are ready for the LIM btw, shoot me your paypal !

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I can't imagine paying $2500 for a motor swap, **** that... 6th gen motors doesn't make any more power over the 5.5, the extrra 10chp is from the ecu, so unless you did a full 6th gen swap (all for 10hp) then its the same... i'd love to see somebody do a 2010 vq35... now I'm sure there is some extra gains in them....
A reputable shop close by (TurbineTech) does engine swaps for 300$ Would never go to the stealership to do a swap. As for the engine, got to find one, not at that silly price for sure... car-part.com might help me out.
Will see next summer for this as I am considering getting another swift GT time will tell, you guys will know.

BlackMacks : No worries, I consider this as useful info, not only for myself as I can see interest from others too.
Keep writing !
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
ill be awaiting dyno... seeing your join date and posts i have a feeling ill be waiting for a very long time for this... will i?
lol! some people..... j/k, G, don't pay any attention to my join date, I was "aware" of online forums as long ago as the late 90's after I purchased my Supra, so 4 yrs ago (wow, has it really been that long?) when I was considering purchasing a Maxima from a co-worker, I found and registered here, in an attempt to make an educated decision.

I passed on that car, so my account sat idle until this past march/april when I stumbled upon my current craigslist diamond in the rough. It took me awhile to find my engine and complete the swap, and here lately I've been trying to address the mechanical deficencies, so anything "play time" related is kinda taking a back seat....

But there is hope! We should get some cold air around New Year's, since we all know dyno'ing in 110F air is just dumb. That should also give me some time to deal with my motor mounts and other stuff.

Thanks Frank, but I'm pretty sure I've gone waaaaay off topic now, lol, I'll just blame Hustle
Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by FrankA33
Oh ! cool then. I might be able to get my hands on a 1 month old rebuilt 02 that the guy totaled 2 clicks away from my place. If not I'll see for Deckdout2's motor.
Funds are ready for the LIM btw, shoot me your paypal !

A reputable shop close by (TurbineTech) does engine swaps for 300$ Would never go to the stealership to do a swap. As for the engine, got to find one, not at that silly price for sure... car-part.com might help me out.
Will see next summer for this as I am considering getting another swift GT time will tell, you guys will know.

BlackMacks : No worries, I consider this as useful info, not only for myself as I can see interest from others too.
Keep writing !
I sent you my paypal about 3 times already.... datdude21@comcast.net
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
There's a little more to it, somewhat minor, but just so no one thinks that's it, I'll chime in (again ), having just done this exact swap. I did not change my oil pans, fyi, not knowing any better at the time, I eventually fabricated a mounting bracket for my CKPS
I tried that and it didn't work....so I'm just gonna swap oil pans...
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM

I sent you my paypal about 3 times already.... datdude21@comcast.net
I swear, i haven't received any of them.
My inbox works fine, I received pm's from unrealii for the past 3 days.
Weird... anyways. Sending payment now. Send by USPS plz.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM

i am planning to put 06 vq35 into an 03. I know i have to swap out intake manifolds due to egr. My understanding is that the crank pos sensor is in a different location so some are saying to use the same harness but since 06 has egr it will have vsvs as well right? and other stuff. I am planning to use the same ecm that i have already. SO all that is involved in a swap is reusing the upper oil pan, and original harness. Any other seals that have to be changed like the rear main? Does timing cover have to come off?
Any other issues?

Last edited by NisTech; 10-14-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am planning to put 06 vq35 into an 03. I know i have to swap out intake manifolds due to egr. My understanding is that the crank pos sensor is in a different location so some are saying to use the same harness but since 06 has egr it will have vsvs as well right? and other stuff. I am planning to use the same ecm that i have already. SO all that is involved in a swap is reusing the upper oil pan, and original harness. Any other seals that have to be changed like the rear main? Does timing cover have to come off?
Any other issues?
Looking at doing this same thing as well: 06 into an 03. Well, looking at having it done my a local mechanic. I'm near Rapid City, SD, so options are limited.

Reason for this is that I'm told my head gasket is toast, and it's better to swap the engine than replace the gasket. And that if replacing an 03 it's better to go 04+ right?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by AquaTop
Looking at doing this same thing as well: 06 into an 03. Well, looking at having it done my a local mechanic. I'm near Rapid City, SD, so options are limited.

Reason for this is that I'm told my head gasket is toast, and it's better to swap the engine than replace the gasket. And that if replacing an 03 it's better to go 04+ right?
IMO, 02 and 03 engines are best. No EGR and virtually no timing problems. Just make sure to remove precats.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by AquaTop

Personally I would leave anything below 2007 alone!!!2004 -2006 Maxima are totally junk...More recalls than ever before in history... I'd love to find a wrecked 8th Gen...into my 2003... I burn a little oil....It's my valve stem seals...I've even disassembled the intake and exhaust manifold to verify it...Intake system is dry except for intake port....Gonna do my seals in the car with that JWT valve tool! Damn 24 all together....