5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Here is my new DD, 3rd owner all stock right now...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

1.) How many miles?
2.) Details?
3.) Plans?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Ah sorry, 117k and it runs flawless. About to start replacing a few odd and ends. Luckily I got courtesy Nissan down the street. Mainly it needs a new windshield, which I may do in a week or two. As for plans, just strut//spring combo and probably I/hD/e. My friends shop is a distributor for Megan just my DD.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Suspension Yoda

Welcome!

Buy a spare tire cover from me

(see sig)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM

I bought this 2002 SE 4AT in February and have found these forums to be a great resource, but I just now got around to making an account. I bought it with 84,000 miles for $8,600 from a local dealer. I live and drive this car in Connecticut. I recently installed a new Sony head unit and some Polk speakers, along with new PIAA clearance lights and fog lights. Otherwise, the car is bone stock. Future plans are lowering springs/struts, tints, intake, headers, and a cat back, nothing ricey though. Great car overall. I love it. You guys have a great forum running here, keep it up!

Please excuse the wall of snow.

Last edited by 02pearlmax; 05-23-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, just checking in after my latest purchase. I got me a 2001 Maxima SE with 124K miles. I've always been a Honda guy but i wanted to try something else and this car delivers great performance and enough space for the family. I just got rid of my Honda CRX and i miss it but this keeps my mind off of it real good! My plans for the car is a simple suspension set up with sportier shocks and realiable lowering springs, yellow fog lights, i/h/e and that's about it as i plan to keep as stock as possible. I hope to learn lots from you guys!m
Old 05-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, new to the forums but I purchased my car around the time of Nov 2010. It's a 2001 Maxima GLE. The colour is pine green and I bought it with 203k on the engine for about $3,500 Canadian. It doesn't have that glossy paint look anymore but it still turns my head when I look at it. It's a beauty. Has about 207k on the engine right now. I've owned two Dodge SX 2.0's in the passed. They were fun little cars but I wanted something different. So far my experience with this car has been great. Going from a Neon to a Maxima is awesome actually, aside from that I miss driving a stick. I love the power that comes with this car, the smooth ride, the handling on it. One of my favorite is that I bought this car with so many features for only $3.5k and it feels like a lux car from like Mercades or BMW.

Some faults I've had with it is that the tires that came with it needed replacing (not the car's fault lol). Bought myself some Winters and Summers. Had some leakage with a rubber tube that connects to the air conditioner, and I'm about to get a new alternator for it next week (makes this loud mid tone clicking sound). Other than those little nicks and nacks, it's been a pleasure to drive and I hope to keep it running for a good long time.

Future plans I would like to do is:
One month - Put a JVC NAV system in
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KW-NT3HDT-...6542460&sr=1-1

Sometime next year - A full body kit from Sarona
http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan...o00186446.html

Looking to put some rims on at the same time as the body kit but I'm still looking for some. After the kit is on I'm going to give it a paint job to a black colour.

For performance upgrades, I'm not that mechanical so I don't have a full understanding what needs to be done. I know there are turbo/super charger kits but I'm an every day driver so probably more simpler tune ups that require less maintenance. Would love to get a new exhaust and intake system.

Once I get a hold of a camera, I'll take a few shots of the car. Glad there is a community for this great car. Thanks for having me. lol

Last edited by Genesis; 05-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Suspension Yoda

Congrats and good luck.

...please don't get the Sarona kit.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Congrats and good luck.

...please don't get the Sarona kit.
Amen. Leave that alone. Get some real goodies, like a Cattman Exhaust and some coil overs.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the great advice. The Cattman Exhaust sounds amazing and I think you suggested the coilovers for lowering the suspension on the car?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM

I think I posted this in one of the other threads, probably in the wrong place heh.

Picked up a '02 Maxima SE, 1-owner, no accidents, 58k miles for $6900. Sunroof, cloth interior , and I'm not sure about TCS. Had somebody with a dealer license buy it for me, and the $6900 includes his "fee" for buying it.

Not a bad car! Honestly liking it more than my '08 6spd TSX :P
Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

Wow, those are amazingly low miles for the year! Congrats. Just in time for summer.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM

I've been lurking on the boards for a couple months now, time I properly introduce myself. My name is Ryan and I currently own a 5th gen and a 5.5 max.

We purchased the 2002 GLE a couple months ago for my wife. Its Sterling Mist with tan leather interior and bone stock with 140k miles. This one will stay stock.

The Wife's 2002 GLE

I liked the car so much (and have been a longtime Nissan fan) so I decided to buy myself one! I found a Sterling Mist 2000 GLE for a pretty cheap. It has 177k miles, black leather and needed some work, but its coming along nicely. Other than some maintenance stuff (O2 sensor, repair interior pieces, replace broken bumper lenses) I have added a pop charger and got some Chrome 18" G35 coupes. Future plans are suspension (Tien S-Tech w/ new shocks) replace headlights with 02-03 style and once the car runs good, I will start the "performance" mods.

My 2000 GLE when I got it

With the Chrome G35's (needs a drop BAD!)

Both Cars (Wife gets the garage)

Last edited by leadfoot85; 06-03-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Suspension Yoda

Congrats, welcome (again) to the org
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So it's time to introduce myself I guess. I'm new to the Maxima world, but not new to Nissans. The Max is my 3rd Nissan, 2nd in my current fleet. I started with a 2002 Spec V that I traded in for what is now a pretty heavily modified '02 Xterra that I wheel with quite regularly (I’m a mod for the Canadian Nissan Truck Club - www.cdn-ntc.ca ). With gas prices and insurance woes, I found myself needing a second vehicle to get around town in etc etc, so I started looking at used cars. Initially I was just looking for a cheap commuter car, but after seeing what people wanted for their little rust buckets, I decided that I would broaden my horizons a bit, see what else was out there.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a Silver '03 SE TE (I think - it has the Maxima doors sills, and titanium coloured interior accents etc) and that lead me here to the Org.

The car has 147k kms (90k miles on it), and aside from a few dings here and there (it IS an 8 year old car after all), she’s mechanically very sound. Previous owner was in a parking lot fender bender, and that left the car with a cracked P-side headlight lens, which I’m currently looking to replace, likely looking at doing a projector retrofit if I can figure everything out.

The only pics I currently have of the new ride are from the Sales ad, but here she is anyways:

Since purchasing the car, I have already wet-sanded and buffed the headlights to clean them up. They were pretty hazy, so that got taken car of. Made a huge difference.

Plans for the car include doing the projector retro-fit, as well as the sagging trunk carpet fix. I always say that I plan to keep the vehicle stock, but I have yet to just leave a car alone, so we’ll see how long I last with this vehicle. Just reading through some of the threads here, I've already been tempted with mods other members have done, so who knows. I'm pretty happy with the car as it is right now, but that won't last long before I start tinkering with this car too.

And for fun, here’s a few shots of the other Nissan’s that I have owned/currently own:

Spec V:

Xterra in Action :

Last edited by Jayman; 06-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 PM

looks like fun! How capable are the xterra's offroad?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by leadfoot85
looks like fun! How capable are the xterra's offroad?
Well, I've been places that I never thought I could have gone in any vehicle, let alone my X. There are always limitations for any vehicle, bur for the most part Xterra's are quite capable offroad.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Hey guys Ive always been a vq lover since day one and i left the 4th Gen game and moved on to a 5.5 Gen 6spd SE TITANIUM edition with every option except navi im from NYC and i traveled all the way to Boston for it. It was women owned and i got the car for 3k it was high mileage with 225k but i know a high mileage max isn't a thing to be afraid of because my i put 190k on my well maintained (under the hood at least) 4 th Gen but all it needed was a crank sensor.. She fouled all plugs with her bad cranking and this cars runs great im 21 and after my big tune up and some mods I feel I can keep up with g37's
Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another Newbie :)

Hi ho... greetings from near-Pittsburgh in the great Commonwealth of PA...

I picked up my '01 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima last week. Just barely got to know 'er thus far... but I'm liking it! I'm usually one who goes for "base model" four-cylinder cars... in the interest of economy... so the Max's VQ is an eye-opener!

The specs: 20AE 5-speed. Ratty-looking leather interior (in a color I cannot identify... what Chrysler would call "Taupe"?). 121k miles. As far as I can tell, largely original. A few dings, scuffs, and a touch of rust... but overall quite clean for the year and location. It's got a few "issues", which I've already been researching... I'm sure I'll have questions!

My previous DD was a 2002 Subaru Legacy GT wagon. But she just got her Social Security eligibility (turned 200k on the day I bought the Max), so she's being downgraded to "second car". My '00 Jeep Cherokee is being sold to pay for the Max!

Anyhoo... two "stock photos" from the sales ad... I haven't taken any pix of my own yet (unthinkable, as I ALSO have a two-week-old DSLR camera!)

Den

Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Hey all! My first car was a 96 Nissan Maxima and I absolutely loved it. You'll see that I've been a member here since around 2004 I think, but I have not posted much at all. I college I had a job selling stuff on eBay so I ended up selling my Max and getting a Jeep Cherokee (I enjoyed the Jeep too, but in a different way). Well I am now back to having a Maxima.

I was looking for something cheap and ended up finding a 2000 SE with almost 200k miles on it. I picked it up for $2800, but $300 of that was a delivery fee that I agreed to pay the seller since she drove a few hours to come meet me (long story - wife is pregnant and I couldn't travel). Just got it this weekend and really have not driven it much since I took it to the shop this morning to get a few minor issues taken care of.

But I love it already. The interior is dirty but I've already started the cleaning process. It will take a while but I'll get it eventually. I glad to be back in the Maxima family.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 PM

Hello everyone, greetings from Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico. This is my 5th Nissan and my first V6 vehicle. It's a Maxima SE 2001 Automatic with almost 74000 miles. It was from a friend of mine and I trade it for my Nissan Sentra 2001 GXE L2 Automatic plus $1000 in cash.

I just got 3 days with my car and I'm planning a lot of updates for her (Yeah, it's a girl LOL ) just like LED dash lighting and some improvements in performance... I don't know, maybe a Supercharger will drop in that VQ30 but it will be in a far future.

The interior is dirty as hell but nothing that can't be cleaned.

This website it's great, thanks to it I fixed my power seat (Cure = Hammer + ratchet + 3 little hits). I'll try to do my best to help when a problem occurs. Thanks for this place.

My former Sentra... Damn, I still miss it a little. His name was "Panzer".

The first photo of my Maxima, her name is "Luna". kekekeke

Greetings

Last edited by Flanker84; 06-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Greetings. I'm a new owner of a very nice 2000 GXE. It was delivered with the GXE Comfort & Convenience Package (I have the original window sticker). It's only got 71k miles on it. Pictures of it are in my garage. I was playing around with the photos to see what the wheels would look like painted black. I think i like it but not sure. 1st thing I did was tint the windows and give it a good cleaning. It gets an average 22mpg so far, driven very miserly. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far. My last car was a 99 Grand Prix. The Maxima handles quite a bit lighter with much more twitchy gas and brake controls, but I'm getting used to them. I generally like to hear my cars, so I'll probably modify the exhaust, and may look into intake and tuning changes as well. I would like to redo the suspension and tighten up the handling but that will have to wait for available funds. I'm looking forward to reading and learning from the posts here. Seems like a great group of enthusiasts.*

Last edited by 2kMaxMan; 07-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

You will have fun.

Was your previous car a GT or GTP? L36 or L31 IIRC,
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM

L67 GTP. Best 1/8th mile times were 8.88 & 8.89 with 2.0 60' times, consecutively on a cool November evening.

Sadly I didn't have the $ to rebuild the transmission when it started to go, so I disengaged the SC and drove it another 50k miles.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 PM

New I35

Hello everyone! I just picked up a 2002 I35 with 169K on it. I bought it from the original owner who bought it new and maintained it meticulously and had mostly highway miles. Its black on black and has the navigation option. I have all service records since new and it runs excellent. I'm really impressed with both how well it runs with many miles on it, and especially how quiet, solid, and rattle free my new Infiniti is. I managed to get it for $2750.

I have a few friends with some 4th gens. One with 220K and the other with 310K which recently made a trip from NJ to CA and back.

I just graduated from Carnegie Mellon University and bought this to replace my 95 Pontiac Trans Am that got rear ended two hours after I got my diploma. I had a lot of custom work in that car with a CarPC and mild performance mods. I'm also going to take off some of the plastic wood trim.

I plan on doing some subtle appearance mods and some performance mods. I also plan on mounting an iPad in the dash with a removable mount for iTunes and GPS.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Nice score rbaksi. Hopefully you will get as much life out of it as your friends have with theirs.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm an owner of a 2002 Maxima 6spd and when i got the car it looked as good as i thought it would but was kind of slow. come to find out the previous owner was not to good at changing the oil and other basic maintenance. so for the next 2 months of babying the car and three oil changes and constant fuel treatments the car just opened up like no other! i've had this thing up to 140 mph and still had room. i dont drive hard a lot but i love knowing that i can.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Hey everyone wanted to say hello. I'm not new here(previous car was a 4th Gen) but new to the 5th gens just bought my wife's grandparents 02 auto SE with 94k and its been taken care of like a baby!! Bought it a lil over a month ago for $5500 and I have already done

NWP bop
K&n filter
Vleds for the clearance light
Plastic dip grille
Warm white leds for the gauges

My old baby
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another Newbie here!

I am a big fan of Euro cars but I am now looking to purchase my 1st Gen5.
For some unknown reason Ive never owned a Nissan.

Currently I own.

2004 Audi A4 3.0
2002 Honda CR-V (need the nissan to replace that)
1981 Toyota Starlet 2dr with blacktop 4AGE swap

I'll post pics later. Love the site so far!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wanted to introduce myself...

Hey everyone, I got a 2000 Maxima GXE. I didn't know anything about them until I bought this one. It was my loaner from a small dealer that was fixing my car and after driving it for 3 days I wanted to keep it. So I traded and paid the difference and I love it. Kind of high mileage (144k) but as I understand, that doesn't matter much with these engines. I don't plan on any crazy mods except for re-doing my stereo upgrade, change out the headlights and tail lights, add fog lights, maybe get new rims and because I live in MN, there is light rust repair to do. I have a feeling I'll be a Maxima owner for the rest of my life.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Hey guys, I just bought a 2k maxima GLE w/119k. Silver exterior with black interior. Very nice car. Needs suspension (I have illuminas and H-techs already waiting) but otherwise seems to be in good shape. There is evidence it has been hit in the rear in the past but the work they did to fix it looks pretty good and nobody would ever notice besides me. I got this car from a person who just moved to WI from WA so it's not rusting.. which was a huge selling point. It has some other odds and ends that need addressing, but these cars are dirty cheap to work on compared to the E39 I just sold!

Great site, thanks for the resources.

Evan
Old 07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by 240sxguy
Hey guys, I just bought a 2k maxima GLE w/119k. Silver exterior with black interior. Very nice car. Needs suspension (I have illuminas and H-techs already waiting) but otherwise seems to be in good shape. There is evidence it has been hit in the rear in the past but the work they did to fix it looks pretty good and nobody would ever notice besides me. I got this car from a person who just moved to WI from WA so it's not rusting.. which was a huge selling point. It has some other odds and ends that need addressing, but these cars are dirty cheap to work on compared to the E39 I just sold!

Great site, thanks for the resources.

Evan
If you're replacing your struts and springs, make sure you have OEM dustboots and Moog front strut mounts ready to go as well - you're going to be in there anyway so you should replace all the wearable parts while at it.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I've been lurkin the forums ever since I've decided my next car should be a maxima. Now that I own one I can properly introduce myself.
My name's Rishi and I just got a 02 Maxima GLE. It's got 120K+ miles on it but runs like new! It's metallic grey (I think that's the color ). The car is originally from NY so it's got a few dings and scratches, but you can't tell unless you're lookin for them. The only downsides to the car I know of right now are: it's got some rust under the spare tire well area, the speakers on the driver side go in and out as I corner and/or go over bumps in the road. So far, I plan on getting G35 or M35 Wheels for it and paint em gunmetal; add a cold-air intake; add some slotted rotors w/ new brakes. I'll post pics. You guys have any opinions or helpful comments, I'll appreciate them, Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 PM

4th gen is in the garage for repairs then it's getting sold.

Into the fifth with an `00 SE
Name:  639Jjh.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  127.8 KB
Name:  BDaG9h.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  215.4 KB
Name:  XpUC5h.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  160.6 KB

130k on the clock, I got the car for pennies on the dollar. Needs an 02 sensor and that is IT.

Things done so far, Gave it a much needed bath and clean. Oil change to Castrol 5/30 + Lucas oil Additive.
K&N panel filter, had a garbage cardboard filter (yes cardboard) looked like a birdsnest.
Bought a Cassette - > Ipod converter, it ****ing sucks.

Maybe someone in the know, Is it lowered? The car doesnt have the monster truck feeling of my stock 4th gen.
The ride is firm, but not spinebusting, and the wheel gap isn't a grand-canyon. I like it.

The front springs look like Tein H-techs (Same strange colored plastic covering over the spring that i've seen on the net)
The small dealer I bought from didn't have the full mod sheet. (the car is stock otherwise)

Last edited by 5150pa; 07-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 5150pa

Maybe someone in the know, Is it lowered? The car doesnt have the monster truck feeling of my stock 4th gen.

The ride is firm, but not spinebusting, and the wheel gap isn't a grand-canyon. I like it.
It looks like stock height to me, but I can't really tell from the photos.

According to the FSM (factory service manual), when you measure from the ground to the top of the opening for the wheel, front should be approx 27.6" and the rear should be approx 27.2". I say approximately because thare are 3 different wheel sizes listed, so this is the middle of the range. The different tire sizes would only be about .2 inches, + or -.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Suspension Yoda

That car is definitely not on H-techs for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't lowered at all. It's possible that a mechanic but aftermarket isolators on the springs when doing other suspecnsion work.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Ah, Like i said the coils had that plastic coating like I've seen on the Htech pictures.

The cars height is so much better than the 4th gens, I should sidebyside pic it.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 AM
You embarrass me.

Hey guys, I'm new here. 02 Maxima 6MT, 129k, love this thing. Only mod is clear sidemarkers so far.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5150pa
4th gen is in the garage for repairs then it's getting sold.

Into the fifth with an `00 SE

130k on the clock, I got the car for pennies on the dollar. Needs an 02 sensor and that is IT.

Things done so far, Gave it a much needed bath and clean. Oil change to Castrol 5/30 + Lucas oil Additive.
K&N panel filter, had a garbage cardboard filter (yes cardboard) looked like a birdsnest.
Bought a Cassette - > Ipod converter, it ****ing sucks.

The front springs look like Tein H-techs (Same strange colored plastic covering over the spring that i've seen on the net)
The small dealer I bought from didn't have the full mod sheet. (the car is stock otherwise)
It doesn't look like H-Tech. Here is mine.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Nissan Maxima

I have some issues with my car that needs to be fixed. First, the coolant fan does not work but the air conditioner fan does. The check engine light is on in the car and it is reporting that the something is wrong with exhaust pipe. I went under the car and I see that the cover for the flexi pipe is not on tight. When I start my car it sounds as if it does not want to start up, well I need to get back in forth to work.
Is it safe to drive the car like this for a couple of days?
Is it okay to leave the air conditioner fan on to keep the engine cool?
Will the car stop in the middle of the road after I have it going--ref. the exhaust pipe?

Quick Reply: Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.